CheapyD at E3 2007 - Day 4: Bloomberg TV Interview from Day 3

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass
Staff member
Feedback
14 (100%)
CheapyD at E3 2007 - Day 4: Bloomberg TV Interview from Day 3
Today's video is going to be my Bloomberg TV interview (which aired Friday morning in Asia), because it's the least amount of work I could possibly do.

Stay tuned for the CAGcast E3 2007 Wrap-Up Show, coming early next week.

CheapyD at E3 2007 - Day 3: Mostly Microsoft
My Thursday contained 3.5 hours of Microsoft appointments. I even took notes!
[MEDIA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MftsRFmvPVo[/MEDIA]

CheapyD at E3 2007 - Day 2: SleepyD
I'm running on 2 hours sleep from the night before and am jetlagged up the ass. I'm completely drained.
Tonight I will rest up so I'm 100% fresh for a jam-packed Thursday.
p.s. I'm not drunk or high. I only drank water today.
[MEDIA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNOQwmVcLDo[/MEDIA]

CheapyD at E3 2007 - Day 1: The Longest Tuesday
It's late, and its far easier to put up a video of my talking head than to write up something. It's been a very long Tuesday and I must get to bed. I'm thinking that I was a bit generous in my B- grade for Microsoft's Press Conference. Perhaps it was more deserving of a C+. I think I'll sleep on it and maybe re-evaulate after I've attended Sony's and Nintendo's offerings. The HD video projection and surround sound systems definitely deserved an A.
[MEDIA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vZs0CGL2Q8[/MEDIA]

Good lord Cheapy. YOU NEED SLEEP! This ain't Drunk Ass Gamer last time I checked. Oh and I pity the guy who didn't attend the Killzone event. The HD trailer looks badass!

Wow, you look tired as hell. But it sounds like you're having fun.

And a B-? You're too kind, I'd give it a D+... it was pretty awful.

You're right about Assasin's Creed, I thought the same thing, especially regarding the A.I. as it looked a little fucked.

I give it a C+. About Assassin's creed this was a kind of beta thing its not the final im sure they did not want to put alot of people in on it. I think that the final will be really good.

As for the crowd not ahhing and uhooooing well it was late im sure there sleeply and as you said it mostly press and I bet most of the press arn't gamers

I too saw you name on the screen.

A day in america and you're high already..

i noticed the same animation in the crowd for assasin creed but i'll just say it's a demo so i won't judge it that much..

The conference will be easier to judge when you see the others.

i had a feeling alot of people would recognize you. everybody that works in gaming should know who you are by now.

also, thanks for the video(s) & all the work your putting into this event. im sure alot of us appreciate it.

is looking pretty nice. I can't wait for the HD trailer on PSN. COD4 & Mass Effect were pretty impressive from the MS conference. Btw Cheapy it looked like you were going to make out with the camera at first.

The no price drop really bumbed me out. The PS3 60GB and the 360 Elite now have the same price in Canada. Is MS so confident that they think they can compete on game content alone?
I think the show lacked excitement because they limited themselves to games that will be released this year, ie games we know about already. Gamers seem to only ever get really excited about the titles that are 24-18 months away.

I was neither high nor gay during the filming of that video.
However, now I am gay.

If you think I looked tired in that video, the one I make tonight should take the cake. I'm lucky if I logged 2 hours of sleep last night.
Damn jetlag.

[quote name='CheapyD']I was neither high nor gay during the filming of that video.
However, now I am gay.[/QUOTE]

I'm sure Mrs. Cheapy won't mind as long if you go all bishie for her.

But who has heard of a bald bishie?

I think this show felt lackluster because Microsoft feels confident in their numbers. As long as they are selling more consoles than Sony they dont feel the need to drop their price, but if Sony starts making a dent soon Im sure they are ready to rock n roll with one. I mean they are turning profit with each system, $75 last I heard(or are they now with the 3 yr warranty in place?)

Also they have a killer lineup of exclusive games, 3rd party titles which are built to take advantage of not only the hardware but the xbox live and of course Halo 3. Will this be enough though? We will see what Sony has in store.

C+ is extremely generous. Would've given this conference a D simply because there were absolutely no surprises and most of the montages and trailers for games were very, very weak and showed absolutely no gameplay footage. And touting Sonic and Golden Axe? Gimme a fuckin' break.

[quote name='CheapyD']I was neither high nor gay during the filming of that video.
However, now I am gay.

If you think I looked tired in that video, the one I make tonight should take the cake. I'm lucky if I logged 2 hours of sleep last night.
Damn jetlag.[/quote]

You should have gotten high last nite. You would have given the HD Projector and sound setup at MS's conference an 11/10 in that case haha!

Score yourself some green before you head back to the land of the rising sun since you said its almost impossible to get some over there.

Nice review Cheapy! It's great to hear from someone that was actually in attendance. The state of the industry conservation was interesting. Regarding the price drop, I'll restate what I posted here about a week ago:

Microsoft probably won't make an official counter-move to Sony's PS3 price cut because of several reasons:
1) Warranty extension (at a cost of up to $1.15 billion)
2) Using Halo 3 to drive sales.
3) The game division is losing money hand over fist: last quarter's loss was $315 million, quarter before that was $289 million.

Maybe after the first of the year, but I don't see it happening now. The only way to force them into a price drop would be if the PS3 started selling phenomenally well and 360 sales plummeted.

So, just from a purely business viewpoint: the entertainment division will probably break even for the 3rd quarter this year because of Halo 3 sales. However, they have a $1.15 billion charge coming up. If you want to continue as a business, you have to turn a profit sometime. M$ won't fund a sinking ship forever. This is the time when the games division has to show that the losses over the past several years was worth battling through.

[quote name='Kinkoman1337']I give it a C+. About Assassin's creed this was a kind of beta thing its not the final im sure they did not want to put alot of people in on it. I think that the final will be really good.

As for the crowd not ahhing and uhooooing well it was late im sure there sleeply and as you said it mostly press and I bet most of the press arn't gamers[/quote]

Yes, I'm sure everyone was sleepy at that 8:30 pm press conference :roll: Not everyone is flying in from Japan and jetlagged all to hell.

The last part of your post did hit the nail on the head. Since E3 is not crowded with a bunch of EB/GS/Best Buy/CC employees and fanboys who managed to sneak in, the excitement factor at all of the press events will probably be pretty low.

Yeah, the conference was poop. The biggest let down for me, as mentioned by others, was the fact that there were no suprises or any really big announcements. Just about everything was previously shown last year.

weak sauce.

The lack of a pricedrop really killed it for me. I was almost sure I was going to get a 360 post-drop but now the PS3 is far more appealing.

I'm still not sure why people thought MS would price drop. Microsoft is not the world's richest fanboy (which is what the "Sony dropped their price?? OMG! WE HAVE TO DROP OURS RIGHT AWAY!!" attitude would suggest)...it's a company. And you know they are arrogant and don't think that a "mere" 100 dollar PS3 price drop will make that much of a difference. Heck, they may be right. $500 is still too much for a game console; prospective Blu-Ray owners seem to be more excited about the price drop than gamers.

The press conference was underwhelming, but what is coming out between now and the end of the year is insanely impressive. So in that regard, I'll take a weak presser if I get a ridiculously solid lineup of stuff, thanks.

[quote name='Ockto']I think this show felt lackluster because Microsoft feels confident in their numbers. As long as they are selling more consoles than Sony they dont feel the need to drop their price, but if Sony starts making a dent soon Im sure they are ready to rock n roll with one. I mean they are turning profit with each system, $75 last I heard(or are they now with the 3 yr warranty in place?)
[/QUOTE]

According to the Newsweek article I read, the $1 - 1.15 billion MS estimated for fixing their 360s comes out to about $100 per console already sold. So there goes that.

Edit: Link to the article: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19640605/site/newsweek/

the amount of money that Microsoft has set aside, when divided by the 11.6 million Xbox 360s that Microsoft has shipped, comes out to roughly $100 per unit sold, an amount that industry veterans say is right around what it would cost for shipping, handling, labor and replacing the entire motherboard for a console of that complexity.

Cheapy they used a clip of your DS Dictionary Youtube Video in the Nintendo Wii conference.. With sound!! I think about 30 minutes in, a little after Mario Kart.

Just saw you on the video for the nintendo conference. it was the best part so far. Resident evil looked awesome as well.. I love light gun games.

[quote name='daminion']The lack of a pricedrop really killed it for me. I was almost sure I was going to get a 360 post-drop but now the PS3 is far more appealing.[/quote]

If the lack of a $50 or $100 Xbox 360 price drop convinces you to swing for a PS3, then you weren't really thinking of getting a 360 in the first place. I hate fanboyism... if you're dedicated to Sony or Microsoft, that's fine, just don't make pointless statements like the one above.

(For the record, I do NOT own a PS3, 360, OR Wii, nor do I see myself picking any of them up in the near future.)

[quote name='trunks982']did u guys see a cheapy clip during the nintendo conference?[/quote]

Yes, I did notice him. It was a clip from his Youtube Kanji Training DS review. EVERYONE loves CheapyD. lol

I still love Wombat more tho, sorry Cheapy.

omg, just watched the nintendo conference live and it was worst than MS. terrible! the only highlight was Cheapy's talking head in the montage but the rest was an absolute disaster. worst nintendo conference evar.

b-? are you crazy? a green xbox 360 would be awesome. it would look so hot with those red rings.

but seriously man, thanks for keeping us informed. take a nap when you can.

[quote name='lebowsky']The last part of your post did hit the nail on the head. Since E3 is not crowded with a bunch of EB/GS/Best Buy/CC employees and fanboys who managed to sneak in, the excitement factor at all of the press events will probably be pretty low.[/quote]

Agreed, a great observation. E3 is a different audience from before and it will take some adjustment from the companies to cater to this crowd. It's difficult, though, because the point of these conferences is to generate excitement for the end-user/consumer and that market has traditionally been one where a certain reaction is expected.

Wait a second, that guy said that there wasn't a go-to for the end of time game for the 360, and then, instead of naming a Wii game that fit that bill, he just talked about how many systems sold? Seems to be a huge flaw in there some where.

[quote name='Gentlegamer']Cheapy . . . Ted Nugent called, he wants his shirt back. :)[/QUOTE]

Damn, I thought I would be the first to comment on Cheapy's shirt. It looks like it has glow sticks stuck on it.

[quote name='dragyynvessyl']Damn, I thought I would be the first to comment on Cheapy's shirt. It looks like it has glow sticks stuck on it.[/quote]

double damn! i thought I was going to be the first to make a rio on his shirt... as such... i'll do so anyway.

*ahem*

no way is cheapy gay... look at that shirt? i cant tell if he stole it from Jimmy Buffet or Bill Cosby... is it rayon or lycra?

bread's done
Back