CheapyD to Appear Live on Bloomberg TV - Wednesday Night (6/7/06)

To answer some of the questions....

I had no idea what questions were coming. I was not briefed before the show in any way. All I knew beforehand is that Nintendo would be the primary topic.

My part was broadcast from Bloomberg's Tokyo studio. The interviewer/host was in Hong Kong.

I kept my responses short, because usually these segments are really short and I didn't want to ramble on.
When we do the CAGcast, I have much more time.

Regarding the consultant thing...they came up with that all by themselves.

Someone please upload this somewhere so I can watch it! CheapyD is the shit. I love the way his voice sounds semi-retarded. ;) Kidding.

[quote name='CheapyD']To answer some of the questions....

I had no idea what questions were coming. I was not briefed before the show in any way. All I knew beforehand is that Nintendo would be the primary topic.

My part was broadcast from Bloomberg's Tokyo studio. The interviewer/host was in Hong Kong.

I kept my responses short, because usually these segments are really short and I didn't want to ramble on.
When we do the CAGcast, I have much more time.

Regarding the consultant thing...they came up with that all by themselves.[/QUOTE]

Oh, and you are Jewish? Eh mister Abrams? ;)

[quote name='Kaijufan']I don't think that the average Bloomberg viewer would be interested in a video game deals message board.[/QUOTE]
I believe you mean "video game consulting site website"

[quote name='the ender']I love the way his voice sounds semi-retarded. ;) Kidding.[/QUOTE]

I know you were kidding, but I gotta say I actually really like cheapy's voice. Seriously, he would make a great regular radio host, not just a podcast host. Perfect tone for being broadcast in my opinion.

Liked the interview a lot as well. They didn't make fun of gamers or anything, pretty straightforward and you gave some excellent answers. Only thing I don't like is I suspect this has delayed this weeks cagcast for a few days. I am in withdrawl and now checking the site multiple times a day for the next cagcast.

[quote name='the ender']Someone please upload this somewhere so I can watch it! CheapyD is the shit. I love the way his voice sounds semi-retarded. ;) Kidding.[/QUOTE]

Err... check the first thread.

Dude. That piece was laden with special effects! Evidence:

There were numbers and words flying all over the screen!

Cheapy D, er David Abrams, Game Consultant, sounded intelligent....there's no way that that was first run vid. They totally shot it and replaced all the penis and fart references out with someone else's voiceover.

Oh and NO MENTION OF WOMBAT? DIYAMN!

[quote name='Sulik2']I know you were kidding, but I gotta say I actually really like cheapy's voice. Seriously, he would make a great regular radio host, not just a podcast host. Perfect tone for being broadcast in my opinion.

Liked the interview a lot as well. They didn't make fun of gamers or anything, pretty straightforward and you gave some excellent answers. Only thing I don't like is I suspect this has delayed this weeks cagcast for a few days. I am in withdrawl and now checking the site multiple times a day for the next cagcast.[/QUOTE]
Did you check the CAGcast thread from last week? Wombat's sick, so the show was cancelled for this week.

you did a great job CheapyD! you deserve to be invited back!

personally, i think the head nodding, etc...is fine. in fact, it could only help. these networks want someone that seems enthusiastic and looks the part of a gamer (in the eyes of people who no nothing of games or gamers). not some stonefaced analyst

[quote name='MaskedPlague']Great job, Cheapy. You could replace that host? MSoft X 360? Sony P3? WTH?[/quote]

yeah, WTF was he doing? he'd ask a question and then like, fold oragami, type out a memo, fix his glasses, tie his shoe laces and then....next question

Cheapy, I think Sony might have a hit on you now, be careful. Nintendo should send you over a case of DS Lites for press like that. Nice job and good summary of the way the gaming market is shaping up for the coming months.

Great job Cheapy. Your answers were the perfect length: long enough to give a full explanation, but short enough that you didn't ramble on or repeat yourself. Here's hoping for more appearances in the future.

Good job Cheapy. Definitely want to tone down the nodding and other tics a bit for next time. I'm worse with all that stuff, but then again I'm not the gamer consultant on TV. :p

BTW, how'd you get invited to be on the show?

Hehe, that was cool Cheapy.

Just as a response to stuff you said:

I'm buying both a Wii & a X360. Nintendo may give MS better / more competion this time but they will not beat MS, and you can take that to the bank. IMO, like many other gamer site editors have said X360 won E3. And like Bill Gates said motion sensing controls isn't mainstream gaming, and I agree.

nice job cheapy.. Seemed like you were swallowing alot :p

The host wasnt even paying attention.. he was just reading cue cards and thats why he said "X360" and "P3" lol..

[quote name='Ugamer_X']Read the first post.[/QUOTE]

no. I refuse!

thanks to the person that youtubed this :D
yeah cheapyd was swallowing a lot but he did a very good job. kampai!:applause:
major props for telling him what most of us want - XBOX360 + Wii

Nice job, Cheapy. You looked and sounded pretty darn professional (for a video game commentator, anyway). I thought you gave complete and insightful answers in the short amount of time alotted. The interviewer certainly went out of his way to prove just how little he knew about video games (Yeah, the key to the DS' success is its portability...that's never been done before!).

I love when laymen are trying to express just how little they know about video games and they pull Pac Man/Pong/Donkey Kong out of their ass. Come on, dude. I know you're exaggerating for the sake of the average stockbroker who's watching, but at least use Grand Theft Auto or something somewhat relevant. Anyone who's truly that out of the loop isn't going to give a crap about the DS, the Wii or videogames in general, regardless of their investment potential.

Wow,

I'm very impressed. Congrats Cheapy! I liked the plug they gave you for "Cheapyd.com or C-A-G.com" I wonder if he made the switch at the last second or was prepped not to say ass on TV

[quote name='Tybee']Nice job, Cheapy. You looked and sounded pretty darn professional (for a video game commentator, anyway). I thought you gave complete and insightful answers in the short amount of time alotted. The interviewer certainly went out of his way to prove just how little he knew about video games (Yeah, the key to the DS' success is its portability...that's never been done before!).

I love when laymen are trying to express just how little they know about video games and they pull Pac Man/Pong/Donkey Kong out of their ass. Come on, dude. I know you're exaggerating for the sake of the average stockbroker who's watching, but at least use Grand Theft Auto or something somewhat relevant. Anyone who's truly that out of the loop isn't going to give a crap about the DS, the Wii or videogames in general, regardless of their investment potential.[/QUOTE]

Nintendo hopes those people will give a crap about DS and Wii.

Also, I think his point was that he was representing the non-gamers who don't know anything about games beyond the ancients. Thus GTA would contradict his point. Did I hear that wrong?

[quote name='chosen1s']Nintendo hopes those people will give a crap about DS and Wii.

Also, I think his point was that he was representing the non-gamers who don't know anything about games beyond the ancients. Thus GTA would contradict his point. Did I hear that wrong?[/quote]

You have a point. And I couldn't help but notice the footage of the Wii-mote they were running behind the piece. If anything would get the attention of the uninitiated, seeing that would.

"So the game actually moves with your hand/body? That's weird/innovative/awesome!"

One bit of adulation for the interviewer: Even before Cheapy talked about it, he called Nintendo out on their (continued) inability to anticipate and respond to the Japanese demand for the DS Lite, which I haven't heard a lot of people outside the industry do.

[quote name='retail sucks']Hehe, that was cool Cheapy.

Just as a response to stuff you said:

I'm buying both a Wii & a X360. Nintendo may give MS better / more competion this time but they will not beat MS, and you can take that to the bank. IMO, like many other gamer site editors have said X360 won E3. And like Bill Gates said motion sensing controls isn't mainstream gaming, and I agree.[/QUOTE] Right, just like how touch screen gaming isn't mainstream either

[quote name='gaelan']when does the cheapyd head bobble doll come out in stores?[/QUOTE] damn! that would be awesome! I would buy one if it had my CAG stats on it. Like my own little forum trophy.

[quote name='MrX']Bravo Cheapy well done. Too bad the interviewer was a tool[/quote]

Eh, I imagine most stock market professionals don't actually know much about the things they invest in. They just want returns, if I'm not mistaken that was the whole point of the segment: to inform potential investors about something they probably don't know a thing about.

[quote name='Vegan']Eh, I imagine most stock market professionals don't actually know much about the things they invest in. They just want returns, if I'm not mistaken that was the whole point of the segment: to inform potential investors about something they probably don't know a thing about.[/quote]

Very true as I am a HUGE fan of Bloomberg but I think they could have gotten someone more into gaming, to talk to him

Maybe they were going for the "interviewer plays the role of the ignorant viewer" angle. Get two "experts" in a room and sometimes it's hard to tell what they're saying.

Then again, the entire Bloomberg channel is Greek to me.

I ended up not being home at 5:40 (pacific time) as Radio Shack was having a store closing sale so of course I had to go. Too bad I can't be one of the cool people that can say they saw it live. But am looking forward to downloading the video replay. Some of the comments here on it sound interesting.

[quote name='atomsk']Your head is too shiny for TV.[/QUOTE]
IIRC, he had to have his head powdered for Cold Pizza.

[quote name='gofishn']Cheapy, I think Sony might have a hit on you now, be careful. Nintendo should send you over a case of DS Lites for press like that. Nice job and good summary of the way the gaming market is shaping up for the coming months.[/QUOTE]

They could at least send you a DS Lite, like they did for Penny Arcade.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MR8-718ecuQ#[/media]

[quote name='Vegan']Eh, I imagine most stock market professionals don't actually know much about the things they invest in. They just want returns, if I'm not mistaken that was the whole point of the segment: to inform potential investors about something they probably don't know a thing about.[/QUOTE]
Cheapy, how does it feel to have such an impact on the market?

Perhaps you should redesign CheapyD.com with your bio and all your appearances and use it as a launching pad for your burgeoning video game consultant career.

Nice work cheapy.
Did a better job at being sincere than the anchor.

I will watch this some time tomorrow, now, since it's 330 am and I've been up since 7am I have to go make sweet sweet love and then go to sleep.

[quote name='mkg12']Right, just like how touch screen gaming isn't mainstream either[/QUOTE]

Well, it's not a Halo 3 killer that's for certain, atleast in the US anyway.

The Wii is innovative, and it may open up a new avenue for new consumers, but without the right games to back up the system it's never going kill MS & Sony's lock on the 18 to 40 year old hardcore "online" demograph.

bread's done
Back