CheapyD's Xbox 360 Wireless Headset Video Review

Thanks for the review cheapy. At this point I guess I will look into dastly's solution.

BTW. I want one of those shirts. Where did it come from?

[quote name='dastly75']
Jabra A210 adapter
+ Tekkeon EzTalker Mini

costed me approx. the same as the wireless 360 microsoft brand headset[/QUOTE]

How's the quality on this setup? Thanks for the heads up.

*edit wait a minute. Each of those is $50+. How exactly is that "apporx. the same as the wireless 360 microsoft brand headset"?

Thanks for the review! This is the first I've heard of the sound quality being actually worse than the wired.

I've read from other impressions that there is an audible beep when you place the headset on mute. Can you describe the tone (what is it similar too, will it be annoying, how often does it sound, etc.)

Also how fast is the adjustment of volume? Do you have to constantly click it to affect it or can you just hold it and it will decrease or increase?

I ask all these questions because I usually mute my mic when I play and often have to turn my volume all the way down when I don't know the gamertag of an annoying player, and therefore can't mute them.

Thanks for the review CheapyD, I think I'll wait for the headset to come down in price before I buy.

I love that they added a battery meter for the controller and the new headset, is the meter viewable during gameplay or only when using the Xbox dashboard?

[quote name='Rusty Ghia']Damn, I'm jealous. Not about the headset, but your RoboCop gamer pic. Where, WHERE, can I get one myself?[/QUOTE]

thats from the vision cam i thought? great review cheapy, once again you saved me the caaaaaaaash

[quote name='Corvin']
How's the quality on this setup? Thanks for the heads up.

*edit wait a minute. Each of those is $50+. How exactly is that "apporx. the same as the wireless 360 microsoft brand headset"?[/QUOTE]

The quality is good although that particular headset is extremely sensitive. I like the headset though because it's very very comfortable. I turn the volume down on it so it doesn't echo and it's great.

I got the headset for $42 on ebay and the adapter for $20 on ebay. So roughly the same as buying the microsoft one if you consider tax.

an added bonus if you plan on using the headset for your phone anyways and the adapter can make non-bluetooth phones compatible with bluetooth

[quote name='Asz']Cheapy, could you post a picture of the power connector on the headset? I have a feeling its a standard Mini-B USB connection, meaning you could use a mini-b usb cable to charge it off your 360.[/quote]
Sorry, it is not USB...its a small round connection.

[quote name='shaunLEGEND']
I've read from other impressions that there is an audible beep when you place the headset on mute. Can you describe the tone (what is it similar too, will it be annoying, how often does it sound, etc.)

Also how fast is the adjustment of volume? Do you have to constantly click it to affect it or can you just hold it and it will decrease or increase?
[/quote] The tones sound fine. It is a two-part tone, going from a high to low pitch when you are muting, and from low to high when you are unmuting.

You can hold down the volume buttons to adjust. However, if you are in a hurry, you might as well just take the headset off your ear as it is very easy to take it on and off.

If you enjoyed the review, don't forget to

[quote name='Wolve22']I just figured that all English speaking video from Japan was meant to be out of sync, just like it would be when it is dubbed....

So now that I know this I probably won't waste my money on this. Thanks for the review Cheapy. Now the question is, what is the best available headset for the 360?[/quote]

That was pretty funny.

I wonder if the sound quality improves with a wired controller...a lot of people say that the sound quality on the wired communicator is better if you use a wired controller.

I have the wireless headset and disagree with the review. My experience differs. The voice quality is no worse, if not better than the standard headset. The range is little better than advertised (30 feet). I'm able to go from my basement HT to my bathroom or kitchen.

Keep in mind, there are many factors that can effect performance (i.e.: proximity to other wireless devices operating on the same frequency, room acoustics, type of walls, etc..) so everybody's experience may differ.

BTW, I live in a 4 bedroom single family home. The interior walls are mostly wood and dry wall.

You can check my review here:

http://www.lcvg.com/forum/showpost.php?p=201409&postcount=16

[quote name='CheapyD']
[quote name='Asz']Cheapy, could you post a picture of the power connector on the headset? I have a feeling its a standard Mini-B USB connection, meaning you could use a mini-b usb cable to charge it off your 360.[/quote]

Sorry, it is not USB...its a small round connection.[/quote]
could you look at the ac adapter output? i am assuming its the japanese one, but the output should be the same on any region.

might be able to make a usb adapter for it.

Cheapy people really seem to be hung up here. If you were planning on buying one, knowing ahead of time it would be $60, you probably really wanted one. So I'm asking for a simple yes or no to a purchase for these people.... what do you think Cheapy?

good review. i kinda started losing interest in this product a little while ago, but the review is still appreciated.

someone on the IGN insider boards started a thread linking to your video review and some of the negative responses are pretty funny. i'll post a few here since you need to be a paying member to view them at ign.

TacticalManiac: "I refuse to beleive that guy. I just don't trust him. He doesn't even knows that the adjustment thing that came installed is bigger than the one that came to replace the one installed, the one that came installed is Medium the replacement one is Small."

bass_playa_xxx: "how reliable is someone who is from cheapassgamer.com? if theyre cheap ass gamers... wouldnt they pretty much be against anything expensive..or new...or gooder than wut they have..."

-Alucard-: "Crap source. Wait for more reliable reviews."

MaXPL: "yeh i dont care what the self proclaimed loser says."

the typical ign board member tends to bitch about everything, even good things...free things. however, most of the responses were positive towards your review and/or negative towards the unfortunate reality that the headset has shitty range and slightly lower quality. more CAG video features would be a good thing...perhaps an hour long documentary on time pilot and scramble.

[quote name='Ultimatallica0']Cheapy people really seem to be hung up here. If you were planning on buying one, knowing ahead of time it would be $60, you probably really wanted one. So I'm asking for a simple yes or no to a purchase for these people.... what do you think Cheapy?[/quote]If you are not turned off by the $60 price tag, and are turned on by teh sexy, go for it! I really didn't think my review was overly negative. The fact of the matter is, there is more static produced by this headset. The simplest way to test it by yourself is to record two voice messages, one with each headset, and then play them back. If you have a friend to help you test, send them two messages and have them guess. I did this over and over again and the Wireless Headset produced more static every time. Not a lot more, but definitely noticible enough to tell the two headsets apart.

[quote name='trent82']TacticalManiac: He doesn't even knows that the adjustment thing that came installed is bigger than the one that came to replace the one installed, the one that came installed is Medium the replacement one is Small."
[/quote] Not in Japan, aka, the home of smaller ears!

[quote name='trent82']-Alucard-: "Crap source. Wait for more reliable reviews." [/quote] Assy source is more accurate.

[quote name='trent82'] MaXPL: "yeh i dont care what the self proclaimed loser says."[/quote]I don't recall proclaiming myself a loser. However, I guarantee that guy would give his left nut for a piece of my loserdom.

Now I don't know which headset to get this or the Gamecom X30, but I've heard reviews that the audio on that is too low.....

Thanks for the heads up review Cheapy.. As much as I want a wireless set up (keep stuff nice and neat) I don't think it's worth droping $60 bucks for..
You said something in the review that cracked me up..

"I live a very busy life.....Sitting on my ass all day"

I don't know... You just kinda threw it out there made me laugh my ass off..

Maybe there would be less static if you talked to another person who was also using a wireless mic? Maybe worth a try?

[quote name='Trakan']Maybe there would be less static if you talked to another person who was also using a wireless mic? Maybe worth a try?[/QUOTE]

Doubtful, the static is heard just in messages recorded on Xbox Live as well.

[quote name='trent82']
the typical unmoderated ign board member is twelve and tends to bitch about everything, even good things...free things. [/QUOTE]

fixed.

[quote name='WetWork']I have the wireless headset and disagree with the review. My experience differs. The voice quality is no worse, if not better than the standard headset. The range is little better than advertised (30 feet). I'm able to go from my basement HT to my bathroom or kitchen.

Keep in mind, there are many factors that can effect performance (i.e.: proximity to other wireless devices operating on the same frequency, room acoustics, type of walls, etc..) so everybody's experience may differ.

BTW, I live in a 4 bedroom single family home. The interior walls are mostly wood and dry wall.

You can check my review here:

http://www.lcvg.com/forum/showpost.php?p=201409&postcount=16[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the second review. Deciding on this purchase seems like it will take a handful of reviews to properly weigh a buyting decision.

I have to say i agree that factors change reviews on this product. Im gettin it as I did someone elses suggested set up back on original xbox with the Jabra adapter. Having a wireless headset is a must, and yes it "brings sexy back" to playing online. That is was it ever here to begin with?...hmmm yeah I dont think World of Warcraft will ever get you laid but perhaps Gears of War with wireless will at least let you jump off the couch in excitment of a headshot without ripping the headset out like with the wired controller ...yes I know somebody here had to of done this or at least youve dropped the controller to experience this ;)

[quote name='WetWork']I have the wireless headset and disagree with the review. My experience differs. The voice quality is no worse, if not better than the standard headset. The range is little better than advertised (30 feet). I'm able to go from my basement HT to my bathroom or kitchen. [/quote]
Did you try this?
[quote name='CheapyD']The simplest way to test it by yourself is to record two voice messages, one with each headset, and then play them back. If you have a friend to help you test, send them two messages and have them guess. I did this over and over again and the Wireless Headset produced more static every time. Not a lot more, but definitely noticible enough to tell the two headsets apart.[/quote]
Also, did you compare the range against the standard headset/controller combo? My wireless headset definitely came up short.

I want this friggin thing by the 7th and there is only this review out for it that I can find. The one the other guy posted is more like a description then review.

Also, does EB Games have these in their store as they are selling them on their website.

[quote name='Import']I want this friggin thing by the 7th and there is only this review out for it that I can find. The one the other guy posted is more like a description then review.

Also, does EB Games have these in their store as they are selling them on their website.[/quote]

Call them up. I went to Best Buy today and they had like... 11 million of them.

Ugh. I bit on the Amazon $50 deal on the headset. My wired one is starting to crap out anyway and my dog chewed on it so I need a new one anyway. I can't see this one being worse, but we'll find out.

It works great however It DOES NOT work with UNO. You can hear people but cannot speak to them!! Get the word out!

A quick question - do you need to have the controller on to use the headset? Or can you use the headset by itself?

Reason why I ask is because I have a remote for the 360...

[quote name='CheapyD']Power supply specs:

Output:
5.2V[/quote]

sweet, thanks.

one could totally make a usb charger then. and i will once i get my headset.

unless some one wants to send me one for testing, and they'll get back a usb charger. ;)

nice review Cheapy ... thanks for doing it!

also, I added a new post to my blog below in my signature about your review :D

[quote name='4nik8tor']you bought the wireless headset over the dvd drive????[/QUOTE]
the HDDVD drive isnt out yet

This should have been made to use the USB controller charger. The last thing I need is another wall wart.

Picked one up today. I had FEAR pre-ordered at FYE (used the trade 2 get 1 on 360 games last month) but FYE isnt getting FEAR 'till Tuesday, so they let me get this instead.

[quote name='Deadpool']What the hell is that site? Looks bootleg.[/quote]
Digg is one of the top 100 most popular websites.
It's hard to believe you haven't heard of it before. I'd like to think it's because you spend so much time on CAG, you don't bother with other sites. ;)

[quote name='kaw']This should have been made to use the USB controller charger. The last thing I need is another wall wart.[/QUOTE]

That does suck ass. Terrible decision by MS.

[quote name='CheapyD']Digg is one of the top 100 most popular websites.
It's hard to believe you haven't heard of it before. I'd like to think it's because you spend so much time on CAG, you don't bother with other sites. ;)[/QUOTE]

Well here and CBS Sportsline and a little Twitch and Dark Horizons is about it. Saw that Digg thing on here but ignored it :D

bread's done
Back