Check your xbox live accounts right away!!

mrright4you4now

CAGiversary!
Feedback
14 (100%)
So I did a quick search and didn't see anything about this yet. My Xbox live account got hacked despite the fact that Microsoft claims there hasn't been any breach in their security. My gamertag was used to sign in over in the UK and they used all the points on my account to buy stuff for FIFA 12. Microsoft said that I must have given my information out to someone in order for this to happen despite the following articles:

http://www.insidegamingdaily.com/2011/10/20/microsoft-responds-to-fifa-12-hacks/

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/...ues-microsofts-response-becomes-maddening.ars

After arguing with the lady she "agreed" to credit me back my points but then was conveniently disconnected. Luckily the credit card info that was on file was for a card that I closed years ago but others are posting several hundred dollars worth of losses. I don't own FIFA or even care about it for that matter. I F-N hate Microsoft and its worthless customer support.

If this is a repost then please delete but didn't see it and it seems to be fairly large spread.

yeah there was a rash of these in the last few months. All buying fifa points. Just another reason not to keep your credit card info on file and change your password regularly.

Nobody knows why the hacks happened but usually it's a set of accounts and passwords that get hacked and then are sold in china or russia or something. Changing your password regularly helps a lot with this.

Its so odd that all the hacked accounts are being used to buy FIFA 12 points...? In any case, the hacks being denied by MS is just weakness...they obviously don't want to look close to how Sony did when they got hacked apart.

[quote name='jer7583']yeah there was a rash of these in the last few months. All buying fifa points. Just another reason not to keep your credit card info on file and change your password regularly.

Nobody knows why the hacks happened but usually it's a set of accounts and passwords that get hacked and then are sold in china or russia or something. Changing your password regularly helps a lot with this.[/QUOTE]

I change my password every 60 days as a force of habit from working in banks for years. The only thing I can think of is when bioware got hacked a few months ago. I doubt its that the accounts were being sold because my account only had like 3k microsoft points on it and my gamertag was linked to the UK.

Mine was hacked back around May/June. I logged out for about 15 minutes to make lunch, and when I got back on, it said I needed to change my password. So after I did that, I realized my 3500 MS points were gone. I checked my transactions online, all for FIFA stuff. I've never even played FIFA, so I called MS right away. He was able to see the purchases were from an unfamiliar location, so he sent a case to their fraud people to look at it.

I couldn't log into XBL for about two weeks. Then I got an email saying my case was closed, and there was no fraudulent activity. So I called right back, had them reopen it, and they sent it back. Another two weeks without XBL later, and I get an email saying all my points have been refunded, and here's three free months of XBL Gold for the hassle.

In the end, MS ended up doing the right thing, but I was so peeved when I got that first email.

Long story, short...if you file a complaint, you should get back what you lost.

I had an e-mail the other day saying my purchase of 6,000MSP that I didn't make couldn't be processed. I find the best defense against hackers is having 24 cents in the bank. I took my card off, which shouldn't have been saved in the first place, and changed my password.

Between this and the PSN breach, I'm glad I switched to using prepaid points/time cards for Live/PSN. No reason to keep my card number on those accounts

You do realize that what you are calling a hack isn't a hack. No one gained access to Microsoft's data and got your username and password, they got your password from elsewhere and simply logged in.

I just tried to log into xbox.com and it (hotmail) made me change my password, saying there have been attempts to access my account.

Looks like I'm calling to take my credit card off the account just to be safe.

In the other thread(s) about this, it was narrowed down to an EA breach.

Have you ever signed up with any of EA's BS accounts, Mr. Right? If so, that's the answer.

[quote name='Kerig']In the other thread(s) about this, it was narrowed down to an EA breach.

Have you ever signed up with any of EA's BS accounts, Mr. Right? If so, that's the answer.[/QUOTE]

I had Mass Effect linked to my gamertag and thats where I'm guessing the breach came from. Also to answer the guy who said that my info was taken from elsewhere my password on xbox is only used for xbox. More then likely because I linked my ea to it via the in game menu I used the same password which is something I never do. Therefor blame ea or blame microsoft either way it wasn't me. Biosoft's little security breach is being a pain for me because I didn't even consider the fact that it was linked to my gamertag.

By the shear number of people that its happened to its not likely that so many people gave out their information to the wrong people but more likely that it was overlooked like mine was. In short xbox should do more to block accts being accessed from an entirely different part of the world just like I should have double checked to make sure that there was nothing linked to my bioware account.

[quote name='TheRobReport']damn I wish I would of saw this earlier, I was hit too[/QUOTE]

Here's the other thread, I like that one better since it at least has "FIFA" and "hack" in the title for those searching.

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=306191

I posted my hackstory there today. If you're willing to give Microsoft your account for 25 days, then you can get your points back.

Most of the "hacks" are actually EA customer support getting social engineered. Microsoft CS went through the same thing a few years ago. Unfortunately there are enough scum around that you have to train the CS people to be unhelpful robots.

Tried to log into my account today on Xbox.com, and my password was invalid. First thing I checked was billing info, and turns out I was hacked again. This time they bought the Horde Command Pack, and Nightwing DLC. Called MS right away, filed a complaint, and he needed my console ID, so I fired up my 360 and was treated to an E74 error. After him explaining they might not be able to help me because I didn't have my console ID, he submitted my claim anyways and got me over to hardware support who told me they'd gladly charge me $120 to fix my system. I tried talking him down, obviously no luck there.

Two issues here:

1. They NEED a console ID? What if I don't have a 360, and I just make purchases via Zune? It's perfectly logical that I could use MS Points strictly for that purpose if I didn't trust putting a credit card into their system (which obviously I never would.)

2. $120? Really? For $80 more, I could just buy a new system and pop my hard drive into it. And he told me if they fix it, it's only covered for 30 days. From what I've been reading online, this E74 tends to come back after a while on refurb systems. No thanks MS. I'll stick to PS3.

Getting rid of all my 360 stuff tomorrow. I know Sony had their whole debacle, but I didn't have any issues, and I'm constantly reading about people suffering this fate on MS's side, and MS seems to refuse to acknowledge there's a severe security issue, or do anything about it. My password isn't weak, it contained a number, capital letters, and multiple symbols. I especially appreciated the guy on the phone telling me "Well I see this happened a few months ago to you...maybe you need to come up with a better password using some capital letters and symbols."

Yes, I know how to create a password, jackass. Maybe the company you work for needs to learn how to create a secure marketplace where these issues don't run rampent.

/rant

Just got my hacked account back today, 21 real days after it happened. Still, far too long. I had an expired CC so they couldn't charge anything but burned through my 1200 MSP. Got those back and two months of live, but 21 days is far, far too long for something as simple as that, especially since they knew exactly what I was calling about when I called.

bread's done
Back