Chibi-Robo New Play Control?

dkleinfeld

CAGiversary!
Feedback
31 (100%)
Does anyone know if the New Play Control version of Chibi-Robo Wii is slated for a US release? I kind of assume not, but... dare I hope?

D

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say it's never happening stateside. NPC is pretty much done over here. I am still wishing for Pikmin 2 leading up to the Pikmin 3 launch but I doubt it will actually happen.

[quote name='cochesecochese']I'm gonna go out on a limb and say it's never happening stateside. NPC is pretty much done over here. I am still wishing for Pikmin 2 leading up to the Pikmin 3 launch but I doubt it will actually happen.[/QUOTE]

I share the same basic sentiments.

E-Reader Wii edition.

Wait, why are we all so sure NPC is dead here? Did the NPC games sell that badly in the US? Does anyone have numbers on that?

I know Chibi-Robo wasn't a big seller, and given the refusal to release Fatal Frame 4, I'm pretty convinced that Nintendo has issued an official corporate document stating that their new policy is to not release games that I want, but... Was the whole NPC series such a flop?

I don't know the numbers. The opinion stands more of the fact that so few came out in a short period of time, and then nothing happened afterward.

Now, some people might start pointing out things like price drops and so forth (NPC Pikmin at Best Buy was down to $15, various titles on sale at Fry's, etc), but I don't think that really counts.

What I'd bank on as a reason for slowdown is that the NPC titles were a stopgap solution - Nintendo didn't have a lot coming out at the time, but they could still claim "look, here's a high quality motion-controlled game right here." Further, because it was titles like Pikmin and Donkey Konga and so forth, you could have made the argument that these titles are being reintroduced to a whole slew of new gamers and potential buyers, making them "new" to whole new populations. That's all well and good, and holds a bit of water, but only partially.

We're in a different situation now where Nintendo has a better flow of games at the moment. At the moment. That's the key phrase here. In a few months we'll have Mario and Metroid. Popular speculation puts Zelda in during the holidays. Monster Hunter 3 will drop in May. Sin and Punishment 2 shows up after that (I'm guessing). That's a fairly strong push.

NPC series - to me - felt like holes-in-the-schedule patching more than anything else. Which is a shame, because there are plenty of titles that would benefit from the NPC makeover (hell, even Mario Tennis could have used WM+ potentially), to say nothing of the titles that are already out and haven't made it here.

So the speculation - again, to me - is based on that: there's less "need" for it here to combat the cries of "no new games oh noes." Now if we get some sales figures out here, maybe we can speculate a bit better. I'm just not seeing the push from Nintendo on them, which has been in line with their general attitude of NA releases, sadly.

Edit: Pick it up, SP! This aint GoNintendo. :]

My question is, though, would Chibi-Robo really have benefitted from NPC? I suppose that was Nintendo's "excuse" to re-release GC games on the Wii, but some games really benefitted from the NPC (Metroid ! and Tennis), whereas others I don't think really did (Pikmin).

bread's done
Back