Chick-fil-A Appreciation Day brings out supporters, protesters

[quote name='Soodmeg']Again, not trying to rip you Spooge, your life your call, you do whatever you is right for you BUT...just because you choose the wrong person to marry the first time doesnt mean we should get rid of marriage. Using how crappy your ex wife is compared to how great your current relationship standards are is a pretty piss poor reason to want to do away with the concept of marriage for everyone. Thats the same mentality as the people you are fighting against..."dont like x get rid of it for everyone!!!"

The only point I am trying to make is that a vast majority of anti marriage people seem to either be people who have been divorced and hate their exes or people who claim they never want to get married. The same with over the top religious people who claim how precious marriage is yet they are also on their 3rd husband/wife and/or currently cheating on them.

Marriage is a great thing...humans are the problem here.

I love dmaul approach.[/QUOTE]

I'm not saying it should go away. Maybe my point was lost somewhere along the way. It should be modified, so that the field is level for everyone. Gay? Your approved. Straight? Approved! Instead of having the religious delegate their beliefs on the rest of us via the government. Church and state need to become seperate once again, as that is one of the main problems in this country today.

My statements about marriage not bring necessary were in response to Blaster Man's statement about marriage being the best option, vs divorced/seperated parents. I was pointing out that there are other situations that work out just as well as, if not better than, traditional marriage.

[quote name='Feeding the Abscess']Get the government out of imposing morality, and people will be able to enter into whatever relationship they want and call it whatever they want.[/QUOTE]

This goes not just for gay marriage but political correctness in general. A government-imposed liberal or conservative morality is indeed a terrible thing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ui1x88kScAs

[quote name='Clak']:rofl: Dude has a point...[/QUOTE]
I was with him till he pulled the race card. That always nullifies the person moot when its pulled for no reason at all liket hat

[quote name='HumanSnatcher']I was with him till he pulled the race card. That always nullifies the person moot when its pulled for no reason at all liket hat[/QUOTE]
LOLZ...wut?

So you agree with the thesis of his argument, but when you find one tiny aspect of it objectionable that isn't even central to the argument, the entire thing is worthless? You're so cute.

[quote name='dmaul1114']Atlanta is interesting in that public transit is more viable in the suburbs and outskirts.

That's where the traffic here really sucks--that and the interstate through the city. Most of the local streets in the city don't have much traffic at all in terms of stop and go non-sense everywhere like in DC and other traffic plagued cities.

So living in the city, it takes 2-3 times longer to MARTA somewhere than to drive. But out in the suburbs and exburbs, it's going to be more viable to drive and park for free at a MARTA station and ride in/home as it will take the same or less time from most areas without the stress of morning and evening rush hour traffic.

The subway lines that are a plus sign through the city also split in the burbs and cover more areas. Seems like the system was built more as transit to/from the suburbs than to efficiently move people around the system. Made worse by the bus system being a lot more limited than in most big cities--especially after route cuts the past few years.[/QUOTE]

To revist this public transit issue....since this weeks the start of the semster and the only time I willingly take public transit to work for a few days (as traffic/parking is a nightmare the first 2 or 3 days until the thousands of new students figure things out), I thought I'd actually time things out and get a more accurate comparison of my commute options.

Anyway, today's breakdown:

-15 minutes from my door to the subway platform (pretty typical, maybe a couple extra minutes from bad luck with lights at cross walks).

-5 minute wait for train. About average for the time of day since trains are every 10 minutes or so then--can be up to 20 off peak hours.

-12 minute ride on train. Standard as new delays. Ride sucked due to a crazy homeless lady and some other lady screaming at each other and nearly getting into a fight until some guy got between them, and the homeless lady then asking for money up and down the car after the other lady got off after a couple stops.

-5 minutes to get off that train and walk to other platform and wait for other line train. Faster than average as just happened to get to platform with train only a couple minutes away.

-2 minute ride to stop by my work

-6 minutes to walk from platform to my office.

So 45 minutes total, pretty standard based on past experience. Ride less pleasant than usual--I'd say I encounter something like that about 1 out of every 10 rides (well the panhandling, only one other time there was a near fight).

I'll time out my drive when I drive in later this week when things have calmed down. Will take transit again tomorrow for sure, and probably on Wednesday too.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Feeding the Abscess']Get the government out of imposing morality, and people will be able to enter into whatever relationship they want and call it whatever they want.

Problem solved.[/QUOTE]

Question, how does one get morality out of government? Actually, what does a government without morality look like?

Ended up driving in today since some colleagues said the traffic and parking wasn't bad yesterday. Guess all the bitching in past years finally got the parking staff more organized in directing students. Came in around 11 so it had totally died down by then (student parking garages in my parking area were full, so only faculty/staff garage was open). So pretty much a normal, non start of the semester commute in.

Took a total of 22 minutes door-to-door, roughly 15 driving (counting up the 4 levels out of my garage, and up the 5 levels to the roof of my parking deck here). Rest of the time was walking/elevators etc.

So driving in takes me a little less than half as long as taking public transit and saves me roughly 45 minutes a day. About the time I spent exercising this morning before coming in. :D

[quote name='mykevermin']"death panels?"

"soylent green?"

Bain Capital?[/QUOTE]

You see, that movie Soylent Green was made just to undermine Romney as a candidate.

433px-Glenn_Beck_by_Gage_Skidmore_3.jpg

BECAUSE THE DEMOCRATS ARE BUILDING A ONE WORLD GOVERNMENT!

[quote name='DurbanBrown']soilent green is one bad ass band! always loved their music[/QUOTE]

Just curious, do you even get the reference?

On a side note, why are metal fans always dumb as dirt?

I love DnB because it combines the dark scifi themes with interesting percussion backgrounds. By contrast, if you like metal you are either 15 or retarded (or both)

[quote name='camoor']On a side note, why are metal fans always dumb as dirt?[/quote]

*cough*

I love DnB because it combines the dark scifi themes with interesting percussion backgrounds. By contrast, if you like metal you are either 15 or retarded (or both)

On a side note, why are DnB fans always white trash tweakers?

Come on, dude, you really don't need to go there w/r/t music preference, unless you're on another internet angry bender.

[quote name='mykevermin']
Come on, dude, you really don't need to go there w/r/t music preference, unless you're on another internet angry bender.[/QUOTE]

Really does seem like someones continually pissing in his Cornflakes recently. Every post just comes across as bitter/angry about life and taking it out on random people on message boards lately.

[quote name='mykevermin']Come on, dude, you really don't need to go there w/r/t music preference, unless you're on another internet angry bender.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='dmaul1114']Really does seem like someones continually pissing in his Cornflakes recently. Every post just comes across as bitter/angry about life and taking it out on random people on message boards lately.[/QUOTE]
You know what? camoor needs to get of my fucking corner...THAT'S what.:lol:

Last time I checked, I had dibs on being the angry [black] man pissed at everybody, especially at all you white devils.

Leave metal out of this, dude. Now if you'd said country music, yeah those people are a bunch of dumbfucks....;)

[quote name='Clak']Leave metal out of this, dude. Now if you'd said country music, yeah those people are a bunch of dumbfucks....;)[/QUOTE]

Hey hey hey now. Johnny Cash is awesome.

[quote name='mykevermin']*cough*

On a side note, why are DnB fans always white trash tweakers?

Come on, dude, you really don't need to go there w/r/t music preference, unless you're on another internet angry bender.[/QUOTE]

I thought you were into punk. Anyway, I always got the impression that your professed musical tastes were more of an affectation then anything else. The intellectual who is an avid aficionado of white trash meth head music, how droll.

[quote name='dmaul1114']Really does seem like someones continually pissing in his Cornflakes recently. Every post just comes across as bitter/angry about life and taking it out on random people on message boards lately.[/QUOTE]

Come on, I enjoy reading your posts, and I occasionally learn something. I'm just tired of the stupidity and tired of biting my tongue. I'm speaking from my heart.

[quote name='dohdough']You know what? camoor needs to get of my fucking corner...THAT'S what.:lol:[/QUOTE]

You need to stop wasting so much time on VS. Honestly, as someone who himself wastes way too much time here - you are too invested in debating UB.

[quote name='dohdough']LOLZ...wut?

So you agree with the thesis of his argument, but when you find one tiny aspect of it objectionable that isn't even central to the argument, the entire thing is worthless? You're so cute.[/QUOTE]
I said PERSON, not the argument.

[quote name='cindersphere']Question, how does one get morality out of government? Actually, what does a government without morality look like?[/QUOTE]

A government that doesn't impose morality wouldn't restrict or ban prostitution, drugs, personal habits, religious views, relationships, etc.

As for how to achieve that, I have no idea. It's not going to happen with the current structure of US government. The Republican party is compromised of a majority block that believes in enforcing social conservative morality, and the Democratic party would never agree to ending the war on drugs, prostitution, etc because that would mean less crime, which would mean less cops, which would mean fewer government employees and less union power, to say nothing of the children!

[quote name='HumanSnatcher']I said PERSON, not the argument.[/QUOTE]
Because he said he was done with white people because they dragged fried chicken into this? Shit...I thought I was sensitive about race, but you take the fucking cake!:rofl:

Race card my fucking ass...:roll:

[quote name='Regian']If you're that interested in fiction, perhaps the Harry Potter and Twilight series of books would be a great read for you.[/QUOTE]

Whoa dude...whoa. You went to far now.

Don't ever fucking say twilight in the same sentence as Harry Potter,fucker. :p.

[quote name='camoor']I thought you were into punk. Anyway, I always got the impression that your professed musical tastes were more of an affectation then anything else. The intellectual who is an avid aficionado of white trash meth head music, how droll.[/QUOTE]

please try harder.

[quote name='camoor']Come on, I enjoy reading your posts, and I occasionally learn something. I'm just tired of the stupidity and tired of biting my tongue. I'm speaking from my heart.[/QUOTE]

It's one thing to get annoyed and attack posters that annoy you and their arguments. It's another to incesssantly rant and make stupid broad based attacks insulting people who like metal, denigrating professions like academics a while back as not having to work because myke said something that got you butt hurt etc. hell you can't even express an opinion about movies in the off topic forum without being an asshole about it lately.

If you're that better and angry all the time make changes to avoid things that piss you off. For instance I can only read this forum in small doses and with liberal use of the ignore feature as else I just get pissed off which is silly as wasting time online should be a fun diversion and not another stressed in life. Life's to short to be annoyed and bitter all the time and go around making others miserable too.

[quote name='Clak']Leave metal out of this, dude. Now if you'd said country music, yeah those people are a bunch of dumbfucks....;)[/QUOTE]
Hey, don't talk shit 'bout my boy Corb Lund.

Canadian country music? I never thought such a thing existed. What are some of the bigger hits? "This Moose Is Your Moose"? ;) No but seriously, I live in the "heartland" of American country music, it wears thin after a while.

[quote name='dmaul1114']It's one thing to get annoyed and attack posters that annoy you and their arguments. It's another to incesssantly rant and make stupid broad based attacks insulting people who like metal, denigrating professions like academics a while back as not having to work because myke said something that got you butt hurt etc. hell you can't even express an opinion about movies in the off topic forum without being an asshole about it lately.

If you're that better and angry all the time make changes to avoid things that piss you off. For instance I can only read this forum in small doses and with liberal use of the ignore feature as else I just get pissed off which is silly as wasting time online should be a fun diversion and not another stressed in life. Life's to short to be annoyed and bitter all the time and go around making others miserable too.[/QUOTE]

Eh - this is getting too off topic for me.

Good as thread as any for this.

The other day, a democratic Maryland state rep asked the Ravens owner to silence a player who spoke out in support of gay marriage. Which is on the ballot in MD in November.

A punter from the Vikings wrote him an awesome response ripping him to shreds.

http://deadspin.com/5941348/they-wo...ded-by-an-nfl-player-supporting-it?c=upworthy

Dear Emmett C. Burns Jr.,

I find it inconceivable that you are an elected official of Maryland's state government. Your vitriolic hatred and bigotry make me ashamed and disgusted to think that you are in any way responsible for shaping policy at any level. The views you espouse neglect to consider several fundamental key points, which I will outline in great detail (you may want to hire an intern to help you with the longer words):

1. As I suspect you have not read the Constitution, I would like to remind you that the very first, the VERY FIRST Amendment in this founding document deals with the freedom of speech, particularly the abridgment of said freedom. By using your position as an elected official (when referring to your constituents so as to implicitly threaten the Ravens organization) to state that the Ravens should "inhibit such expressions from your employees," more specifically Brendon Ayanbadejo, not only are you clearly violating the First Amendment, you also come across as a narcissistic fromunda stain. What on earth would possess you to be so mind-boggingly stupid? It baffles me that a man such as yourself, a man who relies on that same First Amendment to pursue your own religious studies without fear of persecution from the state, could somehow justify stifling another person's right to speech. To call that hypocritical would be to do a disservice to the word. Mindfucking obscenely hypocritical starts to approach it a little bit.

2. "Many of your fans are opposed to such a view and feel it has no place in a sport that is strictly for pride, entertainment, and excitement." Holy fucking shitballs. Did you seriously just say that, as someone who's "deeply involved in government task forces on the legacy of slavery in Maryland"? Have you not heard of Kenny Washington? Jackie Robinson? As recently as 1962 the NFL still had segregation, which was only done away with by brave athletes and coaches daring to speak their mind and do the right thing, and you're going to say that political views have "no place in a sport"? I can't even begin to fathom the cognitive dissonance that must be coursing through your rapidly addled mind right now; the mental gymnastics your brain has to tortuously contort itself through to make such a preposterous statement are surely worthy of an Olympic gold medal (the Russian judge gives you a 10 for "beautiful oppressionism").

3. This is more a personal quibble of mine, but why do you hate freedom? Why do you hate the fact that other people want a chance to live their lives and be happy, even though they may believe in something different than you, or act different than you? How does gay marriage, in any way shape or form, affect your life? If gay marriage becomes legal, are you worried that all of a sudden you'll start thinking about penis? "Oh shit. Gay marriage just passed. Gotta get me some of that hot dong action!" Will all of your friends suddenly turn gay and refuse to come to your Sunday Ticket grill-outs? (Unlikely, since gay people enjoy watching football too.)

I can assure you that gay people getting married will have zero effect on your life. They won't come into your house and steal your children. They won't magically turn you into a lustful cockmonster. They won't even overthrow the government in an orgy of hedonistic debauchery because all of a sudden they have the same legal rights as the other 90 percent of our population—rights like Social Security benefits, child care tax credits, Family and Medical Leave to take care of loved ones, and COBRA healthcare for spouses and children. You know what having these rights will make gays? Full-fledged American citizens just like everyone else, with the freedom to pursue happiness and all that entails. Do the civil-rights struggles of the past 200 years mean absolutely nothing to you?

In closing, I would like to say that I hope this letter, in some small way, causes you to reflect upon the magnitude of the colossal foot in mouth clusterfuck you so brazenly unleashed on a man whose only crime was speaking out for something he believed in. Best of luck in the next election; I'm fairly certain you might need it.

Sincerely,
Chris Kluwe

P.S. I've also been vocal as hell about the issue of gay marriage so you can take your "I know of no other NFL player who has done what Mr. Ayanbadejo is doing" and shove it in your close-minded, totally lacking in empathy piehole and choke on it. Asshole.

[quote name='perdition(troy']Was nice as a forum post, but very disrespectful.[/QUOTE]

While I agree with Mr. Kluwe's overall message in the letter - yeah...

Could you imagine if someone who disagreed so strongly with Obama on something wrote him a letter like this?

I'm really tired of the mentality that you can't tell people they are full of shit anymore. It makes everyone weak, stifles language, ruins communication, and bolsters the idea that everyone is a special snowflake. It fundamentally suggests that everyone is equally mentally capable, which is just a nice way of restricting people who actually have a fucking clue and then proceeding to penalize them.

Some people are stupid, and when they prove themselves such, there should be someone out there to speak up.

It's why at a previous job I suggested we implement "I've forgotten my password" links on the log in page, but only linking to super embarrassing questions in order to complete the task, so that people would learn to remember their fucking passwords. You forgot your password was cuddles83? Really? Alright then, answer this question: What animal have you sexually fantasized about? Be honest now, this is for your password.

[quote name='Strell']I'm really tired of the mentality that you can't tell people they are full of shit anymore. It makes everyone weak, stifles language, ruins communication, and bolsters the idea that everyone is a special snowflake. It fundamentally suggests that everyone is equally mentally capable, which is just a nice way of restricting people who actually have a fucking clue and then proceeding to penalize them.

Some people are stupid, and when they prove themselves such, there should be someone out there to speak up.[/QUOTE]

This is nothing new. Regular folk have been pandered to ever since Democracy was invented, but it's typically nothing more then lip service.

Personally I'm tired of amoral and/or stupid rich people having more of a say in how things are run. The 1% run this country and it's well past time to return to a regulated democratic republic.

So why is this state rep writing this letter so much worse than the mayors of Boston and Chicago saying they wouldn't want Chik-fil-A doing business in their cities?

[quote name='yourlefthand']So why is this state rep writing this letter so much worse than the mayors of Boston and Chicago saying they wouldn't want Chik-fil-A doing business in their cities?[/QUOTE]

Threatening a player who is a public figure for voicing his opinion off the field and Democratic mayors protecting their community's support for gay marriage is not the same thing. Please don't fool yourself into thinking it is.

[quote name='UncleBob']While I agree with Mr. Kluwe's overall message in the letter - yeah...

Could you imagine if someone who disagreed so strongly with Obama on something wrote him a letter like this?[/QUOTE]

You mean like when Jan Brewer stuck her finger in his face?

[quote name='UncleBob']Could you imagine if someone who disagreed so strongly with Obama on something wrote him a letter like this?[/QUOTE]

YOUR ENTIRE BREADTH OF ARGUMENT IS SERIOUSLY JUST "BOTH SIDES DO IT." EVERY SINGLE POST OF YOURS IS NOTHING BUT A DIFFERENT WAY OF EXPRESSING THOSE FOUR WORDS.

IT'S DUMB. IT'S FALSE. IT'S TOO BAD THIS PASSES FOR VALID DISCOURSE. I WISH YOU REALIZED HOW THIRD GRADE EVERYTHING YOU BRING TO THE TABLE ACTUALLY IS. HOLY SHIT.

THAT BEARS REPEATING - HOLY SHIT.

There. Much better.

bread's done
Back