Child of Eden $39.99 w/fs at Toys R Us

Not bad for a game that just came out, on the quicklook they said it was only about an hour and a half though which seems like a bummer. Thank's for the post, but not for me.

[quote name='whoknows']Is this game good?

With a regular controller that is.[/QUOTE]

No with a regular controller and no with the kinect. Seriously, are they intentionally trying to piss people off by showing us how much potential this hardware has while they don't take advantage of it?

I think Geometry Wars' Bastard Child sums up the review.

Methinks it would be more beneficial to attend a rave on shrooms.

[quote name='sgr76']No with a regular controller and no with the kinect. Seriously, are they intentionally trying to piss people off by showing us how much potential this hardware has while they don't take advantage of it?

Methinks it would be more beneficial to attend a rave on shrooms.[/QUOTE]

Someone put some rage in your wheaties this morning?

If you like rez and want more, get this game, no question. Looks fine with a regular controller but I don't personally want to play this until I get a kinect as that also looks terrific and is the first game that I want to play because of kinect instead of wanting to play kinect and being forced to play one of the other meh games out for it. Friend has kinect and might be getting this from gamefly soon...

If you have no idea what rez is, you might want to look at a video of this. Concept is simple, game is short but I know I'm looking more for the experience(yes, I mean that) than "the game".

[quote name='Vortextk']Someone put some rage in your wheaties this morning?

[/QUOTE]

Bad day. Had to dismantle a server....Got zapped while cutting wires (Damn UPS). Nothing but trouble.

[quote name='Vortextk']Someone put some rage in your wheaties this morning?

If you like rez and want more, get this game, no question. Looks fine with a regular controller but I don't personally want to play this until I get a kinect as that also looks terrific and is the first game that I want to play because of kinect instead of wanting to play kinect and being forced to play one of the other meh games out for it. Friend has kinect and might be getting this from gamefly soon...

If you have no idea what rez is, you might want to look at a video of this. Concept is simple, game is short but I know I'm looking more for the experience(yes, I mean that) than "the game".[/QUOTE]

Sounds good, but I just noticed this is a Ubisoft game, so I can wait a couple of weeks for $20 :lol:

This is a great game, but honestly, it really should of been a $15-20 XBLA game. It is really crazy that this is a $50 retail game.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='brentaw']This is a great game, but honestly, it really should of been a $15-20 XBLA game. It is really crazy that this is a $60 retail game.[/QUOTE]

It's $50....and like immediately 40 at launch.

Lots of undeserved hate here from people who don't understand the game. $40 is a steal for me.

Joystiq has a decent review of the game here:
http://www.joystiq.com/2011/06/14/child-of-eden-review/

If you like Rez (and I love Rez), you will like this game. This game is basically the sequel to Rez that I've always wanted.

This is like any other shooter (or shmup, if you will)... sure, Deathsmiles or Espgaluda can be played straight through in about 45 minutes. Child of Eden has a ton of unlockables, and a whole different mode to play through after you finish the game.

I think both the controller and Kinect modes work well. I prefer the controller, because I'm used to it from playing Rez and it seems a bit easier to be more accurate. However, the Kinect is cool because it's easier to move across the screen faster and it's more immersive.

[quote name='whoknows']Sounds good, but I just noticed this is a Ubisoft game, so I can wait a couple of weeks for $20 :lol:[/QUOTE]

Mizuguchi needs your full dallers and cents!

Rez was a full retail product once too. Wait 8 years and I'm sure this will be cheap too.

No one understands the concept of arcade replayabilty anymore. If this game is an absolute 90 minute experience for you, you're doing it wrong.

Looks really amazing, but i dont have kinect yet, maybe soon though. All though this is the only game i even want to try out. But yes heard it was short... Like 2hrs short

[quote name='Wario64']No one understands the concept of arcade replayabilty anymore. If this game is an absolute 90 minute experience for you, you're doing it wrong.[/QUOTE]
Word. Reminds me of people who bought Left 4 Dead and were upset that they "finished the campaign" in three hours and had nothing left to do. Kinda missing the point.

Now, Mizuguchi really needs to get the ball rolling on Space Channel 5 Part 3. :cool:

I was highly anticipating this game since it blew me away with the visuals in it's trailers. I even decided to pick up a Kinect for it when it was on sale (I was tossing around the idea of getting one for this and Forza 4). I'm not a big fan of motion controls and I figured I wouldn't really use the Kinect with Child of Eden. But I loved it so much more than using a controller (I tried both and even used my fightstick which was also surprisingly fun to use). It felt so much more fun and surprisingly accurate to use the Kinect and like I said, I am not the biggest motion control enthusiast. I've clocked in WAY more than this "90 mins" that people are talking about. I certainly doubt getting everything in game would take 90 mins anywho. I'm very satisfied paying full price for this game.

How is it crazy to pay 40 dollars for a game just because it isn't very long, it's not like it doesn't have any re-playability. Rez was fully priced on both the Dreamcast and PS2 and is as long a game as Child of Eden is. Sure, times have changed, but surely the value of this game will only go up until it is inevitably ported as a downloadable title.

I'll support games that think outside of the box, and purchase this game at full price. Plus, out of all the fully priced sequels that have come out this week, it seems that Child of Eden is the only one of them getting a steady amount of reviews over 8.0/B/Whatever.

[quote name='sgr76']No with a regular controller and no with the kinect. Seriously, are they intentionally trying to piss people off by showing us how much potential this hardware has while they don't take advantage of it?

Methinks it would be more beneficial to attend a rave on shrooms.[/QUOTE]

Disagree. I have played it with the regular controller and I love it. My son was playing it with Kinect and was also pretty impressed.

If it's a good game, who cares if it's 90 minutes or 90 hours? Conversely, would you rather have a mediocre game that went on forever like some MMO's?

Just something to think about.

I really enjoyed Rez (and rez hd) and I was pretty floored by the demo @ pax east, i'm very tempted to pick this up, as my kinect is gathering dust aside from it issuing accidentally netflix voice commands from the tv.

How can there be hate for this game?! It has the Mizuguchi pedigree, it's the sequel to Rez.

If you like Space Harrier, Rez, the Panzer Dragoons, there's no way you can skip this game. At it's heart, it looks old school and arcadey in a modern shell.

I was going to buy it for $40 with a reward zone certificate, but this is a good deal, so I jumped on it and will get it sometime next week.

I give up on amazon matching it. TRU gets my money. I put in an order for it, to be picked up in store. Will be a Fathers Day gift for me. :)

I've only played the first level, but I've found kinect to be very responsive. If you liked Rez, definitely get this game. I have not played it with the controller because kinect has been fast and responvie. Give it a try, then give a review - or just go buy another COD clone and stop whining.

[quote name='cficare']I've only played the first level, but I've found kinect to be very responsive. If you liked Rez, definitely get this game. I have not played it with the controller because kinect has been fast and responvie. Give it a try, then give a review - or just go buy another COD clone and stop whining.[/QUOTE]

:applause::applause:

Too bad Redbox doesn't have it. They started renting games nationwide today, you know.

[quote name='uglyteradon']How is it crazy to pay 40 dollars for a game just because it isn't very long, it's not like it doesn't have any re-playability. Rez was fully priced on both the Dreamcast and PS2 and is as long a game as Child of Eden is. Sure, times have changed, but surely the value of this game will only go up until it is inevitably ported as a downloadable title.

I'll support games that think outside of the box, and purchase this game at full price. Plus, out of all the fully priced sequels that have come out this week, it seems that Child of Eden is the only one of them getting a steady amount of reviews over 8.0/B/Whatever.[/QUOTE]

I purchased it at launch for $48 from Amazon, but I strongly disagree with you that it will "go up in value" considering it is literally available at every major retailer and unless you really loved Rez (which I did), I believe $40 or $50 is too much for this game. I would suggest holding off for the inevitable price drop. $20-$30 seems more reasonable IMHO for a casual player and based on the fact that it is a 90 minute experience with some but not great replay value.

[quote name='cficare']I've only played the first level, but I've found kinect to be very responsive. If you liked Rez, definitely get this game. I have not played it with the controller because kinect has been fast and responvie. Give it a try, then give a review - or just go buy another COD clone and stop whining.[/QUOTE]

Respect +1. fuck COD.

I'm tempted to get this as I am a huge fan or Rez. Plus I still have a leftover TRU gift card that I need to use.

[quote name='2DMention']:applause::applause:

Too bad Redbox doesn't have it. They started renting games nationwide today, you know.[/QUOTE]

Allegedly, but according to the website, none of the redboxes near me have games. So much for a nationwide rollout. I guess that's a nationwide rollout at select locations, and none being "selected" near me. I wanted to rent Dirt 3. :(

They laughed at me when I said section 8 was polished turd and when I said table tennis was something one of the rockstar developers vomited after a long night of partying. Go ahead and buy it at any price u wish. This game is screaming bargain bin to me no matter what anyone else says.

[quote name='sgr76']They laughed at me when I said section 8 was polished turd and when I said table tennis was something one of the rockstar developers vomited after a long night of partying. Go ahead and buy it at any price u wish. This game is screaming bargain bin to me no matter what anyone else says.[/QUOTE]

Why bother making an intelligent post with support for your ideas when you can just post something idiotic, huh? Good job there, Sgr.

[quote name='2DMention']:applause::applause:

Too bad Redbox doesn't have it. They started renting games nationwide today, you know.[/QUOTE]

Is it really nationwide? None of the Redboxes near me according to the website have games.

[quote name='eastx']Why bother making an intelligent post with support for your ideas when you can just post something idiotic, huh? Good job there, Sgr.[/QUOTE]

Boom, internet summed up in one sentence. (And in complete sincerity, so unfortunate)

[quote name='menikmati']Is it really nationwide? None of the Redboxes near me according to the website have games.[/QUOTE]

Hey, if my podunk town of 8,000 has it, there's no way you won't, man.

It's Thurs. and I still haven't gotten my game, and no email confirmation. I'm worried.

I beat this game on normal yesterday and the whole experience was incredible. I'm going to give hard a try, and then probably unlock the rest of the stuff. You need to at least try it before ripping on it.

Dance Central has been supplanted as the best Kinect game by Child of Eden.

The bar was so high, silhouette matching was replaced by arm waving?

This gen is the beginning of the end for real gaming...

Kinect's not mandatory, for current gen games. It's just a feature extension for some games and fully supported by stand-alone games. To say it's the beginning of the end is a bit of a stretch, IMHO.

Waiting for the PS3 release for this one.

I... love... Rez. Soooo playing the 360 version again tonight. (Have the Dreamcast import, too.)

[quote name='Todd33']The bar was so high, silhouette matching was replaced by arm waving?

This gen is the beginning of the end for real gaming...[/QUOTE]

Or your post is entirely stupid. One of those.

Ive been playing this a bit. With a pair of Turtle Beach headphones and the Kinect this is seriously one of the most immersive gaming experiences Ive ever had. Maybe not worth $40 or $50 to some but certainly a great experience.

bread's done
Back