Chinchilla Discussion! Anyone got one?

Zoglog

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
So... recently I adopted a chinchilla knowing full well that they are sensitive and finiky and wussy.
Little did I know that chinchilla owners would often be a bunch of crazys that wear sweaters w/ chinchilla pictures so I'm goin outside that circle for some discussion.

Anyone else here have chinchillas?

btw here's mine failing to properly use the wheel in his new deluxe "mansion"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGwbDqvYgSI

And here's the obligatory "I don't like it when you put crap on my head despite being cute cuz i'm a small animal" picture

20372_238000874141_533879141_3319391_4058235_n.jpg

My sister-in-law has one. Poor thing. He lives in a cage locked in the bathroom, not sure why. They used to let him run around their apartment, but now that they have a house, he lives in the cage all the time.

[quote name='cRodz']Damn it op

that is not a pancake on his head!

Why not a ferret?[/QUOTE]

cuz I'm afraid he'd eat it, you gotta be really careful on what they eat. Hell you have to use filtered water to protect against giardia......

[quote name='TheBlueWizard']My sister-in-law has one. Poor thing. He lives in a cage locked in the bathroom, not sure why. They used to let him run around their apartment, but now that they have a house, he lives in the cage all the time.[/QUOTE]

That's sad about your sister's chinchilla, hope the cage is large at least. For the time being we're in an apartment so we don't have much room for him to play round in, tho that should change when I find the right time to buy a house. Only thing I'm really worried about is the Socal heat, my A/C bill is gonna go through the roof. They start getting brain damage in temps above 80 deg.

[quote name='Pootie Thang']I'm wearing mine right now![/QUOTE]

Maybe I'll join you when mine dies ;)

[quote name='cRodz']
Why not a ferret?[/QUOTE]

I've wanted a ferret and a chinchilla for years, but I'd rather have a dog. Someday I'll manage to move to an apartment that allows pets.

I've got three chinchillas. It looks like you're doing things right, with a safe wheel, QualityCages Mansion, what appears to be CareFresh bedding and safe chew toys like wood sticks and willow wreaths. I would suggest getting a fleece tube too. They love those, especially for sleeping in.

-EDIT-

You may also want to pick up some small perch and corner ledges for him/her to jump around on.

[quote name='btw1217']I've got three chinchillas. It looks like you're doing things right, with a safe wheel, QualityCages Mansion, what appears to be CareFresh bedding and safe chew toys like wood sticks and willow wreaths. I would suggest getting a fleece tube too. They love those, especially for sleeping in.

-EDIT-

You may also want to pick up some small perch and corner ledges for him/her to jump around on.[/QUOTE]

I'm gonna downgrade him from carefresh to aspen, from what I hear aspen is just fine and it's much much cheaper.
Indeed, I plan on making some more shelves from wood @ lowes or home depot.

Where would you suggest getting a fleece tube?
I've just bought the sleep-e tent from petco for him and a cheap wood house for now.

[quote name='Zoglog']I'm gonna downgrade him from carefresh to aspen, from what I hear aspen is just fine and it's much much cheaper.

I've just bought the sleep-e tent from petco for him and a cheap wood house for now.[/QUOTE]

Aspen pellets or shavings? Either should be safe, although some claim the pellets can cut their feet. I used the pellets and didn't care for them anyway.

Try emailing [email protected] and see if she still has/makes fleece tubes. She made the best ones, but if she doesn't do them anymore, there should be a few others selling them on the chins-n-hedgies forums. I can look for one if you're interested and she doesn't have them anymore.

-EDIT-

Also, I'm sure you're on top of your game, but make sure you use kiln-dried pine if you make your own ledges.

Do you have a dust bowl or something of that nature for him to bathe in? They need their dust showers and I wouldn't recommend bathing them in water unless you want a hairless/dead one. We get them at the shelter occasionally. They are fun to play with but they are too damn finicky. Ferrets just smell.

I have two rabbits. I have had three total. I adopted one from the shelter I work at. They are spade and neutered. I just don't feel right having small animals in a cage. I let my rabbits run around my yard a few times a week but they can't stay out for more than a few hours else my dachshund will eat them.

[quote name='slickkill77']Do you have a dust bowl or something of that nature for him to bathe in? They need their dust showers and I wouldn't recommend bathing them in water unless you want a hairless/dead one. We get them at the shelter occasionally. They are fun to play with but they are too damn finicky. Ferrets just smell.

I have two rabbits. I have had three total. I adopted one from the shelter I work at. They are spade and neutered. I just don't feel right having small animals in a cage. I let my rabbits run around my yard a few times a week but they can't stay out for more than a few hours else my dachshund will eat them.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, chinchillas are a bit particular and quite delicate & prone to being afraid. A trade-off for their relative cleanliness (is there any other pet that lacks stinkyness?) and superbly ample and soft fur.

My bro had a rabbit once, but it surprised me how bad they smell. If I was gonna tolerate the smell of a pet, i'd go with a Dog.

Them things look like a giant hamster with big ears and a tail. My cat would kill the damn thing if I had one. Also I don't have the room for a cage for something like that.

Chinchillas, while cute and furry, chew the crap out of things if allowed to run free, and then when they get spooked or exited, the pellets will fly (sometimes literally), so that's probably why your friend put it in the bathroom. Be wary of your cage, since the little rodent will probably eventually break some of the bars a little loose, and will eventually make its way loose. Even good cages can be broken.

Also, ferrets are a bad idea in my opinion. They stink (unless surgery is performed), and they're thieves. They like to make small things (jewelry, coins, creditcards) dissapear, sometimes to be gnawed on a bit from time to time, othertimes as just part of a little treasure hoard. They are, however, a bit more durable than chinchillas and you don't have to be as paranoid about them healthwise.

[quote name='ChibiJosh']I've wanted a ferret and a chinchilla for years, but I'd rather have a dog. Someday I'll manage to move to an apartment that allows pets.[/QUOTE]
you and me, brother.
Want a Siberian Husky, German Shepherd or Alaskan Malamute.
apossible all three :hot:

Sit!

siberian-husky3.jpg

Good boy!

Indeed, chinchilla's aren't quite as loyal or fun as dogs, but a good compromise if your apartment doesn't allow pets.

they do chew alot, but doesn't seem like he'll get out of the cage. Just gotta make sure you have to give him lots of stuff to chew in the cage.

wow i had no idea they were so needy.

I love our dog. We had big ones, but I bought my wife a peek a poo, two years ago. he is awesome, small ~11lbs, doesnt stink, doesnt shed, housebroken, and all around great.

Good for you though.

[quote name='cRodz']you and me, brother.

Sit!

siberian-husky3.jpg

Good boy![/QUOTE]

One of the few things I regret about living in Vegas, its too damn hot for me to keep an Alaskan Malamute anymore. Malamutes are awesome, and so easy to train.

A chinchilla in my house would become brain damaged really quick...we keep the temperture at 80-85 degrees indoors over the summer.

[quote name='cRodz']you and me, brother.

Sit!

siberian-husky3.jpg

Good boy![/QUOTE]

I want a dozen malamutes so I can have my own sled dog team, to be honest. Iditarod, here I come!

20372_246304684141_533879141_3359802_6632129_n.jpg

hmmmmmm

Yes my A/C bill is going through the roof in summer I'm sure of it. It's still winter and temps are already hitting 76 degs..................... Stupid chinchilla, I don't even use A/C for myself when it's 90

[quote name='Zoglog']I'm gonna downgrade him from carefresh to aspen, from what I hear aspen is just fine and it's much much cheaper.

I've just bought the sleep-e tent from petco for him and a cheap wood house for now.[/QUOTE]

Aspen is actually better. I've heard stories of people having issues with their chinchillas eating them and this causing digestive issues. You seem fairly knowledgeable (and I know I'm a little late to the party, just now saw this thread).

-It looks like you have some plastic in the cage. Generally, it's not a good idea for them to chew on plastic. Some avoid it and chew wood anyway, but you can get away without plastic in the cage.

- They should get a dust bath at least once a week. Don't use scented dust. There's no need for it and I've heard it can/may harm your chin.

- Your wheel looks a little small. From what I've been told, larger wheels are recommended for chins at their adult sizes.

- Watch what treats you give your chin. Just because they have something at the pet store that says its for chins too, don't take their word for it. Also, don't overfeed them treats. If they have more than one whole raisin per day, they could have digestive issues.

- If you do make your own shelves, be careful of which wood type you choose (and don't use treated wood).

- It's good for them to have 1 to two hours of supervised play outside their cages per night. Many people don't do that much, but it's important for them to have daily attention so that they are sociable.

This place is a good resource:
http://www.chinchillaclub.com/forum/index.php#1

As for food, the stuff you can get at the store isn't the best for chins. I recommend something like what you can find here:
http://www.ryersonchinchilla.com/arc_009.htm

A 12lb portion should last you all year.

[quote name='kube00']I've always wanted one, but I've got a Cat, i wonder for Chinchilla's how expensive are the vet bills?[/QUOTE]

quite expensive and not all vets are capable of taking care of them.

that's the only real expensive cost for them. mine has only finished like 1/6th the bag of high quality food over 4 months or so. only cost $18 bucks.

[quote name='Anexanhume']Aspen is actually better. I've heard stories of people having issues with their chinchillas eating them and this causing digestive issues. You seem fairly knowledgeable (and I know I'm a little late to the party, just now saw this thread).

-It looks like you have some plastic in the cage. Generally, it's not a good idea for them to chew on plastic. Some avoid it and chew wood anyway, but you can get away without plastic in the cage.

- They should get a dust bath at least once a week. Don't use scented dust. There's no need for it and I've heard it can/may harm your chin.

- Your wheel looks a little small. From what I've been told, larger wheels are recommended for chins at their adult sizes.

- Watch what treats you give your chin. Just because they have something at the pet store that says its for chins too, don't take their word for it. Also, don't overfeed them treats. If they have more than one whole raisin per day, they could have digestive issues.

- If you do make your own shelves, be careful of which wood type you choose (and don't use treated wood).

- It's good for them to have 1 to two hours of supervised play outside their cages per night. Many people don't do that much, but it's important for them to have daily attention so that they are sociable.

This place is a good resource:
http://www.chinchillaclub.com/forum/index.php#1

As for food, the stuff you can get at the store isn't the best for chins. I recommend something like what you can find here:
http://www.ryersonchinchilla.com/arc_009.htm

A 12lb portion should last you all year.[/QUOTE]

heh thanks for the tips. I got no plastic in the cage, which is specifically why I bought a cage from quality cages... expensive but yeah.
They provided the shelves but I installed pine edging on it.

I've found chinchillas will chew on anything regardless of the material, just out of curiosity.

That is an adorable husky picture. If you want a dog that doesn't stink though, Huskies are the way to go. The way their coat works the oils, well, okay I don't remember how it works, but Huskies don't stink generally, or they don't have a doggie smell.
photo.php

[quote name='2DMention']I clicked on this thread expecting some new menu item at Taco Bell or one of those little annoying-ass Paris Hilton dogs.[/QUOTE]

That's chihuahua...

bread's done
Back