Christian Childrens Fund turns down $17k donation

That's a real shame, since they have a stellar reputation as being among the most efficient charities in terms of the average amount of each dollar donated that directly goes to helping their cause. (and not mailers, salaries, and the like).

Well, that's their (really, really uninformed, immature, and misguided) choice to make.

Nice, refuse money because of a game with Pagan overtones yet celebrate multiple holidays with Pagan overtones. Makes sense.

I thought money was a government thing... not a religious thing.

Seriously makes me want call out the douche card on them.

I hope they tell everyone that they were to proud of their image... to not accept help. Isn't that a vainity sin?

I sent off a sarcastic e-mail to them and received a clearly mass-produced reply:

Dear Concerned Gamer:

Thank you for writing to Anne Goddard and sharing your concerns. Anne was traveling when she received your email. We discussed your concern and she asked that I respond on her behalf Please know that we take your email very seriously.

There appears to be a misunderstanding which I would like to correct. When Gen Con contacted CCF about its auction, we were pleased to accept donations. However, we couldn’t lend our name for publication because our policies have specific criteria for endorsements. We were unaware that this had caused any problem or concern for Gen Con until we began receiving emails. This decision was in no way intended to be a reflection on Mr. Gygax, gaming enthusiasts or the game Dungeon and Dragons. We have the utmost respect for the gaming community and were touched by the generosity expressed through your auction. We were disappointed that we were not the recipients of the donation but we were pleased that another worthy organization benefited.

We realize this has become a topic of discussion in the gaming community and we hope you will help us by sharing this response.

The needs of children are great and we welcome your support. Should you wish to learn more we invite you to visit our website at www.christianchildrensfund.org.

Again, I thank you for taking the time to voice your concern. Your passion for gaming and your support for children are admirable.

Sincerely,
Cheri Dahl

Vice President, International Communications and Fundraising

Wishy washy. On the one hand they claim to not have any ill will. But at the same time they are rejecting a donation because they "couldn’t lend our name for publication because our policies have specific criteria for endorsements," which sounds suspiciously like GODLESS GAMERS GTFO MY CHARITEEZ. Then they go on to say that they are happy another charity got the donation.

I don't know if I have any defense left against this sort of moebius strip, having most of it withered away from the upcoming election.

[quote name='Strell']I sent off a sarcastic e-mail to them and received a clearly mass-produced reply:

Wishy washy. On the one hand they claim to not have any ill will. But at the same time they are rejecting a donation because they "couldn’t lend our name for publication because our policies have specific criteria for endorsements," which sounds suspiciously like GODLESS GAMERS GTFO MY CHARITEEZ. Then they go on to say that they are happy another charity got the donation.

I don't know if I have any defense left against this sort of moebius strip, having most of it withered away from the upcoming election.[/quote]

Isn't that just translated as, "you're not good enough to give me money" ?

Seriously would ask what specific criteria didn't GenCon have?

This reminds me of a passage in the Bible. At one point, there was a controversy about eating meat that came from animals that had been sacrificed to pagan gods. The Biblical author addressed the issue by basically saying it didn't matter if they ate the meat, since they didn't believe in those foreign gods anyway. The author then goes on to say that the more knowledgeable people should still respect the conscience of their more easily-offended brothers. But the idea remains that the meat itself was not considered evil or defiled.

So if the Christian Bible can make an exception for stuff that actually involved pagan sacrificial rituals, one would think that a little D&D board game should be brushed off without a thought. Oh well.. :whistle2:(

[quote name='mykevermin']Well, that's their (really, really uninformed, immature, and misguided) choice to make.[/quote]

As long as the US government severs ties and funding for faith-based charities, I agree.

I got the same cookie cutter email when I sent in an email as well.

My email:
Why in the world would you turn down donations? Why because of Dungeons and Dragons? A harmless storybook. It's not like this book causes war, cults, crazy minded individuals to act out their believes portrayed in the book. I don't think there is any book that could cause that much hatred and sorrow and confusion. Oh there is one book... the bible. Don't get me wrong, I am a Christian myself but I at least hold an open mind and the ability to draw a line between real and make belief and right and wrong.

I have been making a small donation every year. The $20 I give to my church for ccfusa may not be a lot but it will add up over the years of my still young life.

And I don't even play Dungeons and Dragons but I do play other games similar to their motif and make belief fantasy world it creates.

bread's done
Back