Chronicles of Riddick: Assault on Dark Athena - Demo Now On XBLM

LinkinPrime

CAGiversary!
Feedback
170 (100%)
http://www.gametrailers.com/player/43333.html?type=

Starbreeze has confirmed its working on a next-gen makeover of The Chronicles of Riddick.

Assault on Dark Athena will be available on PS3 and Xbox 360 before the end of the year.
Advertisement

There will be around 50 per cent more single-player content to get stuck into - taking place on board the scavenger ship Dark Athena - and an online multiplayer mode will be included.

Commentary is also expected to feature in a similar way to the Developer's Cut remake on PC, as is the obvious graphical spit-shine to show off the new floating terrafloppy-tehcnotrons.

The Chronicles of Riddick appeared on Xbox, based on the 2004 film of the same name. It took everyone by surprise, not least because the big-screen version starring Vin Diesel was rubbish.

The first-person action game displayed some of the best graphics we'd seen, and earned itself a whopping 9/10. Catch up with our The Chronicles of Riddick: Escape From Butcher Bay review to see why.
http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=76579

I still have Escape from Butcher Bay, sealed...been waiting for it to go BC since I'm too lazy to setup my old XBOX up. I guess since this is a "make over", I might as well just wait.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like I'll be double dipping again. Too bad It's not a sequel and It's more of a remake.

Oh, and Scorch said this was gonna happen months ago. No surprise.

Well I suppose that's cool.

Personally I'd much preffer a sequel and a BC patch.

But yeah, as long as it's the exact same gameplay, with improved graphics and more content, I'll probably bite... once the price is right.

Coolest thing about this news is definitely the fact that this will be out in 2007. Awesome.

i never got around to beating this after picking it up for $10 on black Friday 2 years ago. What i played was awesome though and ill pick this up sometime.

Wow, already remaking games from this past generation?

Why didn't they just take that 50% extra single player content, expand on it a bit more and just make a true sequel?

It just seems way too early to start remaking Xbox games.

Great game. Looking forward to the remake, but it's going to come out at the worst possible time, especially if it hits in November. Halo 3 and GTA IV as competition?

I know I won't play it for months. (At least.)

I'm SO in... the original was the best FPS I played on the 360. Blew away the single-player mode of both Halos.

It was a fairly long game, so remaking it and adding 40% plus online is good enough for me.

That's better than making it a BC title.

[quote name='Monsta Mack']Oh, and Scorch said this was gonna happen months ago. No surprise.[/quote]

:cool:

That's crazy.. I broke the Riddick, Lego star Wars and Phoenix Wright stories before anyone else.. I wonder if I can find any info on anything else coming out soon :p

[quote name='jrutz']You know what makes this better than a BC patch?

Achievements
[/QUOTE]

and that whole "50% more content" thing. damn achievement whores :p

RIIIIIIIDIIIIIIIIIICK! fuck YEEEAH!

This is one of those JUST THAT GOOD games that would make me pay twice for it.

RE4 is one that would make me buy it 3 times, one for each system.

Of course, I got bargains on all iterations. Will do the same with Riddick.

[quote name='gorgo']It was a fairly long game[/QUOTE]

Are you kidding me? I beat the game in under 4 hours. It was still a fantastic game and I'll buy this remake for around $20. I don't see how it could be worse than the original like some other remakes (Conker).

[quote name='PenguinMaster']Are you kidding me? I beat the game in under 4 hours. It was still a fantastic game and I'll buy this remake for around $20. I don't see how it could be worse than the original like some other remakes (Conker).[/QUOTE]
I was going to post the same thing (well, actually it took me like 9 hrs) but any game that I can beat during a 5-day rental is too short. Too bad it's not a true sequel. At least there's some MP now.

I said it at the time and I'll stand by this : Riddick is the best video game rental of all time, but it wasn't worth a purchase. We'll see if this goes for a budget price...

[quote name='tangytangerine']So, I'm guessing since it's getting remade, MS won't work on the Xbox version being BC on the 360?[/quote]

Maybe a year after the game releases when the remake can be had for under 20 bucks anyway.

Now I'll have incentive to locate all of the hidden cigarette packs! (Achievements!)

Best single player original Xbox game. Hands down. Riddick is one of my favorite series of movies and I've played Escape from Butcher Bay for countless hours. I can't wait!

^^ Whoa... I've stumbled into Walter world ^^

Anyways, 50% more content makes it what? 6 hours long???

It sounds like they've basically added on a new campaign.

Yeah, I'd really only pick this up for >$20, but I'll definitely rent it ASAP.

Apparently there were some things cut out of Butcher Bay at Universal's request. Hopefully they'll be able to add them back this time and it's not inclusive of the already announced 50% more content.

Even if this is a budget title it will be somewhere between $29.99-39.99. I enjoyed and own BB, but I'm definitely not double dipping at launch it isn't worth it IMO.

Had a feeling it'd be expensive. Well, depending on how good the new content ends up being, I might still buy it right away.

I'm happy I missed out on the original, I'll just play this one.

I still haven't played the Xbox version so I guess I'll just wait for the remake. Hopefully it will have a budget price, if not I'll wait for a price drop or two since it sounds like a short game.

[quote name='PenguinMaster']Are you kidding me? I beat the game in under 4 hours. It was still a fantastic game and I'll buy this remake for around $20. I don't see how it could be worse than the original like some other remakes (Conker).[/QUOTE]

On your first playthrough?!!

Four seems a little quick, but six seems about right. For a game with almost no replayablitiy and no multiplayer, it was a rip-off.

Strange... it took me about a month of weekends. Then again, I was trying to really explore, do all the side missions, etc. I don't see how you could do all of that in 6 hours. And, I was only playing 2-3 hours at a time.

[quote name='Decker']Four seems a little quick, but six seems about right. For a game with almost no replayablitiy and no multiplayer, it was a rip-off.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. I think I killed it in six, on the dot. Good, good game, but "50% new content" still only makes it roughly nine hours, for $60. I don't know that'd I'd rebuy it at that price.

Damn, bought the original Xbox one when it came out, splurged on the PC version, and I will probably pick this one up too hah. Loved that game

Here's an update from GameSpot:

Early Wednesday, Sierra formally announced Assault on Dark Athena--and answered some of the questions Wanat left hanging. The game will indeed "for the first time in the Riddick universe, take action in intense multi-player combat." Sierra later clarified said MP mode would be online-enabled. Both the 360 and PS3 editions of Dark Athena will be released later this year. Sierra also revealed some plot details about the game. "The game introduces the ominous Merc-ship Dark Athena, which sits silent like a marauding spider, awaiting helpless prey in the dark reaches of the galaxy," the publisher said in a statement. "Players must face a large, bloodthirsty operation led by the dreaded Captain Revas and her slaves-turned-controllable combat drones, storm though death-defying events and fight fierce enemies in a battle of malice and gore."
http://www.gamespot.com/news/6171213.html?om_act=convert&om_clk=newstop&tag=newstop;title;1

Well...not really an update but more of a confirmation on what was previously suggested.

And if anyone read the notes in the OXM announcement, they confirmed the original Riddick will never be backwards compatible.

bread's done
Back