Chronicles of Riddick: Assault on Dark Athena XBOX 360 $39.99 at NewEgg

wow...i expected quick price drops on this one, but $20 off after a week is crazy.

if you are on the fence, butcher bay is great. dark athena is pretty good, but it's no butcher bay. and the multiplayer has a lot of problems, but can still be simple fun when you can find a match.

i expect this game to be $20 by the end of summer, but the multiplayer will probably be dead by then.

does anyone know if this is just a temporary price drop or if it'll be permanent? if it's still $40 by the end of the week i'll probably have to pick it up.

Wow this is sad. At this rate I'm looking forward to $20 bargin bin by the end of Summer as well.
I wonder how much Newegg makes off this one, if anything?
This also begs the question that I could never get answered correctly: Is there price protection in the video game market? Some mom and pop owners said no, others who worked for major retailers said yes. I would hate to pay $40 for a game only to have it drop to $30 or less in a given month.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='tenma']does anyone know if this is just a temporary price drop or if it'll be permanent? if it's still $40 by the end of the week i'll probably have to pick it up.[/quote]

It's in "Daily Deals" so it could just be for today or a few days. Who knows though because GH:Metallica was a daily deal last week at $47.99 and it's still that price.

There's no price protection unless you are a huge nationwide company, and even then I'm sure there's strict conditions. Also, if you want the hardware & the newest hottest stuff out you'll have less desireable games pushed on you (unless you've preordered it 6 months in advance, but no one can forecast some of the surprises that far in advance)

It's very common for a supplier to say if you want this game/system, you have to buy these games along with it. It's not like that just on the small outfits either, Sony will force games on the distributers as well.

yeah i think most people expected this. escape from butcher bay bottomed out pretty quickly. i think it's like $4.99 used at gamestop.

[quote name='wildnuts02']yeah i think most people expected this. escape from butcher bay bottomed out pretty quickly. i think it's like $4.99 used at gamestop.[/quote]

Well it was never BC because they were making this.

I remember getting butcher bay when it came out, and the trade in value at EB was a whopping 35 dollars! I pretty much rented it for 2 weeks, it'll be nice to replay that again after 5 years

That's two Vin Diesel games in just 1 week dropping $20 a pop, that sucks, I thought these would do better, at least the new movie is doing well.

Reviews pretty much focused on the mediocrity of Dark Athena and killed any enthusiasm I had for this. Butcher Bay is nice, but I still have my XBX Original copy and the system to play it on.

[quote name='trent82']wow...i expected quick price drops on this one, but $20 off after a week is crazy.

if you are on the fence, butcher bay is great. dark athena is pretty good, but it's no butcher bay. and the multiplayer has a lot of problems, but can still be simple fun when you can find a match.

i expect this game to be $20 by the end of summer, but the multiplayer will probably be dead by then.[/QUOTE]

many ppl will pick it up when it hits $20
and this game is pretty much a single player experience, and you could always trade online achievements with somebody @ xbox360achievments.org

Loved the original. Def worth $40 for me. Even if multiplayer sucks, Butcher Bay with a graphics face lift plus a whole new single player campaign is awesome. I don't think it's a price drop, but I'm sure it will be $40 retail in 3 months or so.

fuck I just ordered this with $15 in reward zone certificates from best buy a few days back, and to make it worse, I literally minutes ago got a $10 promotional coupon from Newegg because they sent me the PC version of Shadowrun instead of the 360 version.

Wow thats a really crazy deal. The game sales must be really low on this game. I may just have to give it a try. My friend said it was pretty good.

I just bought a truckload of games from Gamedays/Newegg (as well as at least 1 or 2 from Amazon), so I'm thinking I should wait until this hits $20 or less or just rent it, given that I have a free rental for this month... The worst part is that I'm not even getting to any of those games because I've been completely sucked into Persona 3 FES, having dumped more than 75 hours into the game already and still have a few "months" to go in the game... plus the "Answer" expansion... and then Persona 4 awaits... yikes.

Still, tempting deal.

New Egg has been doing this with a few middle-tiered games (Legends of Wrestlemania few weeks back); someone is trying to grab a 2009 CAG award!

Man its been like the Newegg and Amazon show lately. I don't even bother going to brick and mortar stores anymore which kind of depresses me as I like to have a reason to get out of the house.

Are you kidding me? I just got this from Toys R Us with the B1G1 half off. DAMMIT.

Still, this is a spectacular package. I loved it.

Give it 2 or 3 weeks, it'll be this price at some B&M store.

You're a sucka if you pay full price for a videogame anymore. They discount so quickly either online or in-store.

[quote name='Monsta Mack']
This also begs the question that I could never get answered correctly: Is there price protection in the video game market? Some mom and pop owners said no, others who worked for major retailers said yes. I would hate to pay $40 for a game only to have it drop to $30 or less in a given month.[/quote]

Depends on how big you are, all the big guys get price protection built into their orders for universal price drops, most of the little guys wind up taking a hit.

Definitely in for 1! Butcher Bay is probably my favorite original xbox game. I was waiting for a price drop but I wasn't expecting one so quick.

Damnit, I couldn't wait til this Friday. Just bought a copy.

[quote name='Pck21']Man I'm THIS close to biting on this...someone give me a reason to buy this![/quote]

Because it's 2 games in 1 for $20 less the price of a new game? Or...you could download the demo and decide whether you think it's worth it.

i got this during the toys'r'us buy 1 get 1 50% off ...ended up getting it at $30. This is still a pretty nice drop considering it was just released, great game too imo.

shit, i was gonna hold off but this is tempting.

edit: dammit, i bit. i hate you Newegg and CAG for this deal, lol

[quote name='tenma']
Because it's 2 games in 1 for $20 less the price of a new game? Or...you could download the demo and decide whether you think it's worth it.[/QUOTE]

I played the demo last night and I thought it was just ok. I'm not a huge fan of Vin Diesel either, so that could be one of the problems I'm having with it. I guess I just want to know, from people who have played/own the retail game, that it's $40 worth of good "gaming substance." In other words, is there enough in the game, time wise and product wise, to keep me coming back for more?

I wish the origin xbox BC on 360. It's better & deeper compared to 360 version. Eventually this game will drop down $20 or less in 3-5 months :)

Butcher Bay was a game I somehow missed on Xbox. I heard the hype for it with people asking it to be back compat on the 360. I was excited to finally play it when they said it was coming to 360. Unfortunately, I did not like the demo on the marketplace. I've heard people say the demo was not good, but the game is. Plus, I keep reading people say how good it is.

So, after 2 days of seeing this thread, I just pulled the trigger. If I still don't like it, I'm blaming the internet. :)

bread's done
Back