Chrono Cross Questions

arsenalcrazy8

CAGiversary!
Just started Chrono Cross for the first time. (after playing/finishing chrono trigger for the first time about a week ago)

I really liked chrono trigger (surprise surprise) even though I had no nostalgic feeling for it, because I never played it back in the day.

One thing Ive quickly noticed about chrono cross is there are missables.

Ive already missed the chance to recruit one character to my party, and im only about 1.5 hours in. 

Is this an issue? Will I feel like im missing out on a big part of the game if I fail to recruit character X,Y, or Z? 

I really did not want to use a guide for this, but missables in RPGs annoy me quite so. 

as an aside, anyone else bothered by the apparently 40 odd characters you can recruit? I like when RPGs stick to small casts of characters the player can get attached to. In fact this is the main reason I never played Suikoden 2 because I hear that game has a massive cast as well. I have to admit, I was majorly turned off to learn chrono cross has 40 characters. 

There is no way to get every single character in your first play through. I would just keep playing and use a guide on your second to get the stuff you missed.  If you want every character you need to do a third play through.

As for Suikoden II a lot characters are just there.  The core characters still form one of the best story of all time.

Like 62t said, it's impossible to get every single character without playing through the game three times.

As for the number of recruitable characters, it is a lot, but you'll probably only stick with a handful for your active party. Since there's no traditional leveling system, you don't have to worry about constantly rotating characters in and out. Just stick to your favorites.

Last edited by a moderator:
as an aside, anyone else bothered by the apparently 40 odd characters you can recruit? I like when RPGs stick to small casts of characters the player can get attached to. In fact this is the main reason I never played Suikoden 2 because I hear that game has a massive cast as well. I have to admit, I was majorly turned off to learn chrono cross has 40 characters.
Honestly doing yourself a huge disservice by not playing Suikoden II just because of the huge cast... I agree most of the characters are pointless/filler (as they are in CC) but it's not like it's overly tedious to get a full roster in either game.

I used guides for both games, to some extent (usually on my 2nd play through)... I know some people are opposed to guides but I find that a well written guide (meaning spoiler free guide) makes the game more enjoyable in most cases.

as an update: I finished chrono cross. (jeez I cant believe it took me over a month). 

Great game, really enjoyed it, and I think I like both games in the series the same (but each for different reasons)

I still stand by my original statement that all the character recruitments are just plain annoying. I dont think they really add anything to the game, and they are unnecessary filler. 

I am SUPER bummed the series was literally just abandoned after Cross though. Why didnt they just continue it!? I would love to continue with the central story / themes both games touched on. 

Sadly I doubt the Chrono Series will ever be continued. 

Next up I think Ill start Vagrant Story, or Suikoden 2. The latter, especially, has a pretty hardcore following and I think its time I play through the whole thing.

as an update: I finished chrono cross. (jeez I cant believe it took me over a month).

Great game, really enjoyed it, and I think I like both games in the series the same (but each for different reasons)

I still stand by my original statement that all the character recruitments are just plain annoying. I dont think they really add anything to the game, and they are unnecessary filler.

I am SUPER bummed the series was literally just abandoned after Cross though. Why didnt they just continue it!? I would love to continue with the central story / themes both games touched on.

Sadly I doubt the Chrono Series will ever be continued.

Next up I think Ill start Vagrant Story, or Suikoden 2. The latter, especially, has a pretty hardcore following and I think its time I play through the whole thing.
I know this is an old thread but I figured I'd bump it since I just love talking about PS1 RPGs. Not sure if you every chose one? Vagrant Story is tough as balls but was an amazing game! I try to replay at least 1 PS1 RPG every year and that's the one I've been putting off... it was an incredible game but I just remember dying so many times.

I know this is an old thread but I figured I'd bump it since I just love talking about PS1 RPGs. Not sure if you every chose one? Vagrant Story is tough as balls but was an amazing game! I try to replay at least 1 PS1 RPG every year and that's the one I've been putting off... it was an incredible game but I just remember dying so many times.
haha, I still havent actually started another. Kingdom Hearts 3 will take up much of my time. But Vagrant Story and Suikoden 2 are still on my bucket list.

Out of the PS1 RPG list Ive played FFVII,VIII,IX, Legend of Legaia, Chrono Cross, Legend of Dragoon, Xenogears, and Lunar 1, and some of Wild Arms. Not sure if you have any other recommendations in particular?

haha, I still havent actually started another. Kingdom Hearts 3 will take up much of my time. But Vagrant Story and Suikoden 2 are still on my bucket list.

Out of the PS1 RPG list Ive played FFVII,VIII,IX, Legend of Legaia, Chrono Cross, Legend of Dragoon, Xenogears, and Lunar 1, and some of Wild Arms. Not sure if you have any other recommendations in particular?
That's definitely a solid list. The only major ones I see missing are Grandia, Lunar 2, Valkyrie Profile (another somewhat difficult game), and Final Fantasy Tactics (SRPG but still awesome).

I am shocked that KH3 is reviewing so well... I really wanna play it since a lot of reviews are saying it wraps things up nicely. The series is such a mess that I didn't think that was possible. And I've only played Birth by Sleep (pretty decent game) and the 352 days one (the DS game, pretty bad) so I'm not sure if I'll miss out one anything by not playing those.

bread's done
Back