Chrono Trigger DS $15.00 NEW @ Walmart YMMV

thebytewasbit

CAGiversary!
I was @ Walmart tonight & saw Chrono Trigger for DS for $15.00. I know others have reported finding it cheaper elsewhere before, but I currently don't see it on newegg & it goes for about $20 new on Amazon.

I wonder if a price ending in .00 would indicate a clearance price? Can anyone confirm this? If so, the PS2 Slim's they had were $99.00.

Hope this is not too off-topic...

I bought Chrono Trigger from Amazon about a month ago because I had $10 gaming credit to use. The copy I received was a "first print run" that had a sticker on it that said there was a bonus poster inside (for first print run only). Anybody know if there ever was more than one print run, or do all the existing copies of CT have the bonus poster?

$15's a good price I would have got it there and put the credit towards something else if the timing was better.

Ruahrc

At this point it's pretty safe to say there wasn't a 2nd run and every non-bootleg copy has the poster.

It didn't seem to sell too well on the DS, most likely due to the relatively high MSRP for a 15-year-old port.

For $15, no one has a reason to not get this. Think of it as $1 per year penance for never playing it until now.

I didn't have much to spend today & ended up picking up The Witcher Enhanced Edition for $19.99 instead of Chrono Trigger. I'm rethinking my decision now that I realized that The Witcher is a few $$$ cheaper on Amazon.

[quote name='thebytewasbit']I didn't have much to spend today & ended up picking up The Witcher Enhanced Edition for $19.99 instead of Chrono Trigger. I'm rethinking my decision now that I realized that The Witcher is a few $$$ cheaper on Amazon not Chrono Trigger.[/QUOTE]

There.

Can not recommend this game enough.

Is it the best game ever made? Probably not, but there are more than a few people who will disagree with me.

But I can honestly tell you I enjoyed EVERY MINUTE I invested in this game. It is astoundingly fun game, age be damned. I paid $30 and don't regret it one bit.

To not buy at this price would be insane.

Been so long, this may be rare title I buy twice (SNES and NDS) as it was so good.

Is there any reason to buy this if you have the SNES cart? Did they add any extra locations or is it just a straight port?

[quote name='erehwon']Is there any reason to buy this if you have the SNES cart? Did they add any extra locations or is it just a straight port?[/QUOTE]

its portable!

but seriously i have not finished it yet, or played it in a while.
this is what i found

Spoiler-free changelist:
- The game has been retranslated, and while a majority of the game script is near identical, some of the more famous lines have been changed. Examples of retranslations include the removal of Frog's faux Olde English accent, Magus being referred to as the Fiendlord (and consequently, his army is now simply the Fiends and not the Mystics), and the 12,000 B.C. era being named "Antiquity" instead of "The Dark Ages."
- The addition of the PlayStation's new features, which include the bestiary, anime cutscenes, music player, and treasure guide
- The addition of a DS style combat system, which simply moves the commands from the top screen into the bottom screen, clearing up the screen a bit
- The addition of the Arena of the Ages
- Contrary to what I said on On the Spot last week, they actually did add an extra spot for a letter in character names, meaning you can name the spiky-haired protagonist Chrono if you so choose. Just know that it's sacrilege.
- New items. If you thought Rainbow was ridiculous there's a new sword for Crono that's more powerful and has a 90% critical hit rate.
- The formally missing song Singing Mountain was finally added into this iteration

here is the link: http://74.125.95.132/search?q=cache...+ds&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us&client=firefox-a

[quote name='ctrek3']its portable!

but seriously i have not finished it yet, or played it in a while.
this is what i found
- New items. If you thought Rainbow was ridiculous there's a new sword for Crono that's more powerful and has a 90% critical hit rate.[/QUOTE]

That might have just sealed the deal. :)

[quote name='NormanB258']Can not recommend this game enough.

Is it the best game ever made? Probably not, but there are more than a few people who will disagree with me.

But I can honestly tell you I enjoyed EVERY MINUTE I invested in this game. It is astoundingly fun game, age be damned. I paid $30 and don't regret it one bit.

To not buy at this price would be insane.[/QUOTE]
Ya same, when they had the Buy 1 Get 1 50% Off on DS (and Wii games) last year at TRU I got lucky and picked that and Lock's Quest up for a total of $15.xx. Probably one of my best deals today.

[quote name='ck76']That might have just sealed the deal. :)[/QUOTE]

I'll never understand why people would buy a game because it contains a weapon that effectively ruins the gameplay. What's the fun in having a weapon that does 1 hit kills? That turns the game into just pressing A when you get into battle, you might as well just skip battles or just watch the cutscenes on youtube.

bread's done
Back