Chrono Trigger DS Thread - E3 Impressions Post #272

[quote name='rothgar24']Hey guys, I know this has probably been covered somewhere in this massive thread, but I wanted some sage-like advice because I'm a chrono trigger virgin and didn't want to read any spoilers. Reply in post or pm would be sweet.

Should I do the time-based action option or the more pure turn-based, more strategy choice? I've been using the time based attack and wanted to get some advice as to whether I was doing it wrong.[/quote]
I'm pretty sure you can go in the menu options and change between the two modes during the game, just try both and stick with the one you like best.

[quote name='J7.']Does this port feature a music library option where you can listen to the songs by themselves?[/QUOTE]

Yeah - you can access an extras section per save file, which can play songs directly.

[quote name='Strell']Yeah - you can access an extras section per save file, which can play songs directly.[/quote]
Cool. By per save file do you mean all the music is available once you save for the first time or more songs are added as you reach them per save file?

[quote name='J7.']Cool. By per save file do you mean all the music is available once you save for the first time or more songs are added as you reach them per save file?[/QUOTE]

Honestly, I dunno. I'd like to think it unlocks tracks as you get to them, but maybe someone else can confirm that.

When you start up the game the first time, you are given the "new game" option. After that it gives "load game" from the start screen. Also on that start screen is an "extras" option, and when you choose it, it asks you load a save file. After you choose that, it goes into the extras menu, where you can see things like the beastiary, any unlocked movies, some character art, music selection, etc.

My guess is that such material becomes available as you get to it. But again, a confirmation from someone who isn't me would be nice - I'm the only one who plays my game, so I have no real idea either way.

[quote name='J7.']Thanks for that info Strell. Anyone else know?[/quote]

Never played with the soundtrack thing until after I beat it, so I'm not sure.

[quote name='ChibiJosh']It unlocks tracks as you go.[/quote]

Yeah, I can confirm this also. Once you hear it once in the game it unlocks in the music player.

Were you always able to switch party members whenever you want in the SNES version? I always thought you had to go to a save point to do that.

So you definitely need to play it again ;), guess I would really enjoy it anyways. It's awesome that the music is included, such a great soundtrack, my favorite ever. Thanks guys.

Just finished the game today. I thought it was awesome and just about the perfect game length for me. 20 hours is about as long as I want to play through a game. The battle system was nice and I didn't feel like I was grinding at all.

I didn't know there were alternate endings... I'm not sure even how to trigger the different scenarios. I did have a few different paths to take
I killed Magus with Frog because I didn't know you could play with him. I also failed at saving Lucca's mom's legs.

I like having the video/music library and enjoyed the sidequests. But are the alternate endings worth replaying the whole game to unlock which I don't think I'll do? Or can you just make a few choices near the end to switch the endings?

I don't think you have to replay the whole game but, if you really want to see the endings just look on youtube, some of them are pretty lame.

The endings depend on when you beat Lavos. You can get another one (The developer's ending) easily by starting a New Game+ and immediately fighting Lavos (step on the right pod of Lucca's transporter).

So yeah, you have to play the whole game again if you want to get all the endings. What I did was printed a list of when you need to fight Lavos (chronocompendium.com has a good one) and have been playing through the game again that way. It's pretty easy on a New Game+ because you have all your items/experience/techs.

[quote name='banpeikun']It still requires a lot of leveling up because you have to one-on-one Lavos for some of those endings.[/QUOTE]

Depends on what level you're at. I was in the 50s when I took on Lavos (went through the Omen 3 times) the first time. So if you do it again the first thing after starting a New Game+, you fight with Marle and Crono. It was still doable. Just use lots of Megalixiers.

I have a quick question about a side quest:

VERY MINOR SPOILER WARNING (I guess)

I am going through the Lost Sanctum right now but it's a bit tedious. If I finish the Black Omen and defeat Lavos, can I still do this later, or is it now or never? (I aleady did the other sidequests, as far as I know.)

Lavos is the end of the game. Might as well do the Lost Sanctum now if you're going to do it. If you're looking for lumicite, you can find it from those rock creatures that disable your commands. If you're quick you can have Ayla steal the shard from it. Best spot is the northern woods in 600 AD I think. It spawns about halfway in. The Dimensional Vortex is another good spot to find them, not sure where though because I haven't encountered them there yet.

question on the beginning of the game:

Theres a church where I got attacked by some vampire witches, then frog joined me I think. You go thru the door in this church and into a dungeon area, I go thru the dungeon and get stuck, theres a room with spikes surrounding some baddies and I cant figure out how to lower the spikes. Is there a switch or something I need to be looking for?

My husband refuses to buy this because of the Ted Woolsey translation. He played the Japanese version (he's fluent in Japanese) and has hated Woolsey ever since. He wouldn't even bite on the Amazon sale. I thought he would like to have one of his favorite games of all time on a portable, but no. Maybe we can get the Japanese version when we go to Japan on our honeymoon. As for me, I'm too cheap to purchase this since I already own it on PSone and SNES, but I would have as a gift if it would make my husband happy.

EDIT: Just correct me if I'm wrong, but they didn't change the Woolsey translation for this, correct?

EDIT 2: Oh fuck, they REPLACED the Woolsey translation. Time to inform my husband.

Due to space limitations on SNES cartridges, a lot had to be cut out of the script (English takes up more space than Japanese on carts, it seems). Here's an interview with Woolsey where he talks about what his process was. Anyway, he's a pretty polarizing figure.

I don't mind the SNES translation, but the DS one is much richer and more fleshed out. DoK, I don't think anyone could ask for a better English localization of the game than the DS version. GameFAQs has the script if you're interested.

I loved this version (by far the best), but I gotta say I thought Woolsey did an excellent job with the original SNES version. My beef was with his FFVI (I never made it to the World of Ruin). But whatever, your husband's unjustified hatred saved him 50% - 60% of the price. I bought mine near release for $30. Still worth it.

Woolsey's translation fucked up a lot of things. Some of it was due to Nintendo (the whole alcohol thing), but according to my husband they fucked a lot with the personality and dialogue of the characters, especially Frog. My husband claims he is an entirely different person in the Japanese version compared to Woolsey's.

I remember Frog having this annoying medieval jargon in the original version. I decided to to do a little research and here's what I found from wikipedia.

In Ted Woolsey's English translation, Frog speaks in a grandiose, pseudo-Shakespearean manner, using words such as 'thou'. 'thee'. and 'shalt'. No one else from his era speaks that way, nor does he use it himself as the young or adult Glenn. In the retranslation for the DS version, Frog's manner of speech is closer to modern, yet antiquated, English and no longer adopts the accent of the earlier versions. Likewise, in the Japanese version, he does not speak with the accent and instead talks rather rudely

Sounds like they fixed Frog somewhat but not entirely. They probably didn't want to a 100% translation anymore since so many western fans remember him being so polite. Still I'm intrested to see how Frog was originally intended to act.

Silly, you don't need Wikipedia to remember that absolutely no one in Guardia in the year 600 spoke the same manner as Frog did.

Actually I quoted it for the last part more than anything. I had no idea Frog spoke in a rude manner rather since he was so polite in both translations.

bread's done
Back