Chuck Season 1 Blu-Ray - $24.99 @ Amazon, Best Buy

Sweet, finally something to use my $5 reward coupon on.
I'm a bit annoyed at all the bad reviews on the Video quality.
But oh well. Even on TV it never looked great. But I think it's a great show.

Yeah, the PQ appears to be an issue, but with the DVD Version of the show ON SALE @ $25.99, this is still a good deal. I cant imagine the Upscale DVD looking better than the Blu-Ray.

[quote name='BuckinKaeding']Yeah, the PQ appears to be an issue, but with the DVD Version of the show ON SALE @ $25.99, this is still a good deal. I cant imagine the Upscale DVD looking better than the Blu-Ray.[/QUOTE]

Don't ask me how, but I really think the upscaled DVD is superior in terms of PQ. My dad owns the bluray version and I was really excited to watch a few episodes after flying through my DVD copy of the first season. I was severely disappointed in the picture. It's grainy and noisy, and while I've heard that's just an inherent quality with the type of film they were using... it still looks quite horrendous. Whites especially suffer, as they are tainted with green, grainy flickers.

Until I googled the PQ issues, I thought I had just changed a setting on my bluray player or accidently thrown off the calibration of my Samsung DLP. No disc has ever freaked me out like that before, so go for it if you like but I really don't think this version is an "upgrade".

The BR video cross over was horrible. After buying it, I had to buy it in normal def because it looked so choppy and messed up. It was just poorly done.

[quote name='Ragnarok-']The BR video cross over was horrible. After buying it, I had to buy it in normal def because it looked so choppy and messed up. It was just poorly done.[/quote]

Thanks for the heads up, I almost pulled the trigger on it.

[quote name='BuckinKaeding']Well that sucks, I already bought it.

P.S. Amazon has the DVD for $25.99, but Best Buy has it for $19.99[/quote]

Well crap, I bought it a while back when it was on sale for this price at BB but haven't watched it yet...but I did open it :cry:

I was actually watching the first 2 episodes last night...the picture is a bit grainy but I can't see an upscaled DVD being any better than this. I'm cool with it.

I'm a bit hesitant in accepting that an upscaled DVD is better than a bluray. Even a direct transfer with no time added to improve anything, should still look better on blu ray.
I wonder if maybe those having better luck with the upscaled DVD maybe have components that are having a difficult time "hand shaking". Like unmatched HDMI, or 24hz.

[quote name='PopcornBandit']Target has the DVD set for $15.99.[/QUOTE]
I'll be stopping by Target after class for sure now. Thanks!

I urge everyone to do the same, in my opinion it's one of the best shows on Television.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']I was actually watching the first 2 episodes last night...the picture is a bit grainy but I can't see an upscaled DVD being any better than this. I'm cool with it.[/quote]
This.

I noticed the grain & mosquito noise, but that's how it was filmed. Detail is still pretty good, better than upscaling the DVDs.

If it was filmed with Grain, then it's highly unlikely that an upscaled DVD will be more able to improve on it.
I'll go with the Blu thanks.

Bumping this thread to let everyone know that this sale has been extended to this week. Both BestBuy.com and Amazon.com still have the DVD for $19.99 and Bluray for $24.99.

Tremendous show but it might be the worst Blu-Ray on the market. Picture quality blows (though Yvonne Strahovski would still look great on an 11inch tv from the 50s) and you can't even select individual episodes...

[quote name='BWOzar']Tremendous show but it might be the worst Blu-Ray on the market. Picture quality blows (though Yvonne Strahovski would still look great on an 11inch tv from the 50s) and you can't even select individual episodes...[/quote]
I don't think it's that bad. Detail is okay.

Like all Warner BDs, there is not an initial menu that first comes up. If you press the menu button on your remote while it's playing, there IS a menu where you can select an episode.

[quote name='jpw21683']I don't think it's that bad. Detail is okay.

Like all Warner BDs, there is not an initial menu that first comes up. If you press the menu button on your remote while it's playing, there IS a menu where you can select an episode.[/quote]

Perhaps it's just an issue with my using the PS3 Blu-Ray player (or I'm just an idiot), but on the disc with 6 or 7 episodes I could never get a menu to open. At the least there are no chapter settings within an episode.

In terms of the video I think it's nearly as bad as there is on Blu-Ray, almost as horrid as 28 Days Later. The contrast is never right, there is heavy artifacting, the skin tones always seem downright unnatural, backgrounds are horrendously blurred (except in the Buy More where it's a bit better). In fairness to the Blu-Ray though the actual show is consistently one of the worst looking HD broadcasts every week. Yvonne deserves better....

Huh...I have a PS3 as well. Maybe I'm mistaking it for another BD, but I could've sworn there was episode selection thru the menus. I'll double-check tonite.

Yeah, there are chapter markers throughout the episodes, but no chapter select menus. WB's TV-on-BD releases suck.

FYI...I think the season 2 HD broadcasts look better than season 1's, so hopefully that BD will look better.

There should be a quality test that all blu-rays have to pass before heading to market. If they want the format to grow and surpass DVD at some point there can't be arguments about PQ like this. Blu-ray should be superior in every way otherwise don't release it.

bread's done
Back