Chuck TV show question DVD vs Blu ray

Demon Soul

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
So just wondering about the video quality of the blu ray versions. Some people say the quality of the blu ray versions aren't that good. Is it better to just get the DVD versions or are the Blu ray versions still better than the DVD versions?

Thanks in advance.

If you are a chuck fan i suggest both :) If you had to pick just one go for the bluray for one reason. It is the best format out there. If the quality is just barely better then dvd ver which i doubt i would go bluray. I am a huge fan but my ps3 died on me. I bought both versions.

I have seen some badly ported blurays but they were rare stuff or just from a poor company doing bad work. It is rare so go bluray.

I think the better question is if you have a good upconverting player? If the Blus aren't that good of a transfer then a good upconverter would do for me. In Chuck's case I would buy the Blu regardless but if it was something like the Predator movie which has a terrible Blu transfer I would get the best DVD version out there.

I have Season 1 on DVD and I watched it on my laptop and it looks great. I watch Blus on my Laptop but the DVDs looked very good.

I have both seasons on blu ray and the picture quality is definitely a lot worse than most other blu rays. A part of this has to do with the cameras that the series is filmed on, it's extremely grainy and so there's a lot of artifacting due to how many episodes they cram on a single disc.

However, it is definitely a step up from the DVDs, and you can generally find the Blu Rays at a cheaper price than the DVD sets for some reason so I would just go for that.

[quote name='hmbtnguy']I have both seasons on blu ray and the picture quality is definitely a lot worse than most other blu rays. A part of this has to do with the cameras that the series is filmed on, it's extremely grainy and so there's a lot of artifacting due to how many episodes they cram on a single disc.

However, it is definitely a step up from the DVDs, and you can generally find the Blu Rays at a cheaper price than the DVD sets for some reason so I would just go for that.[/QUOTE]

Agree there. I got the DVDs for S1 for like $10 but nowadays the Blu-Rays can get very cheap from time to time. Warner had that B2G1 sale the other day where coupons would stack but they sold out quickly.

You can get both S1 and S2 on blu-ray together online for about 50$

as for what is better obviously the blu-ray is better, it's not demo worthy but it's superior to the DVD version and S2 was an improvement over S1 transfer wise which leads me to believe S3 on BR will be alot better so basically if you are worth a fan of the show get it on blu-ray over DVD, it looks better and it's cheap.. i know walmart.com has Chuck S1 for under 25$ on blu-ray with free shipping, i believe deepdiscount has S2 for 29.99 or amazon.. prices change alot but i suggest you wait till black friday or the holiday season because they will be 19.99 each

[quote name='hmbtnguy']I have both seasons on blu ray and the picture quality is definitely a lot worse than most other blu rays. A part of this has to do with the cameras that the series is filmed on, it's extremely grainy and so there's a lot of artifacting due to how many episodes they cram on a single disc.

However, it is definitely a step up from the DVDs, and you can generally find the Blu Rays at a cheaper price than the DVD sets for some reason so I would just go for that.[/QUOTE]
of course it's not demo worthy but that doesn't mean they look awful, it looks great on blu-ray just not demo worthy, i could easily say something like dark knight looks better then 90% of the entire bluray library which is completely true but it doesn't mean that 90% = shitty transfers

like i said if you are a fan of the show get it on blu-ray, it is the superior version and it does look good, looks better then upconverted dvd counter-parts and looks better then the HD broadcast and chuck is usually always on sale for under 30$ and gets 19.99, 22.99 and 24.99 prices all the time

I have the Blu-ray for season 2 because it was cheap. It doesn't look that great, it probably looks better than the DVD but I doubt by a lot.
If you see them both for the same price you might as well get the Blu-ray, but it isn't good enough to pass up a good deal on the DVD.

The grainy look of the show is on purpose. It's to make it look like old spy films. The Blu-Ray are spot on to the look of the show. If you look at the show when it's broadcast it has the same look. The shows look great on Blu but I agree the DVD's don't look that great because of space limitations and bit rate limits.

[quote name='8bitlover']The grainy look of the show is on purpose. It's to make it look like old spy films. The Blu-Ray are spot on to the look of the show. If you look at the show when it's broadcast it has the same look. The shows look great on Blu but I agree the DVD's don't look that great because of space limitations and bit rate limits.[/QUOTE]

Yeah...no. You don't shoot on inferior technology to give it a "look", you add that look in post. The blu ray seems like a clear case of poor source material and lackluster transfer.

[quote name='ZForce915']Yeah...no. You don't shoot on inferior technology to give it a "look", you add that look in post. The blu ray seems like a clear case of poor source material and lackluster transfer.[/QUOTE]
ZForce915,

I work in the post production for a major studio and all most all TV and Feature films do a lot of tweeking of the picture in post. Almost always it is done twice. Once for the initial broadcast or theatrical run. Then another pass for home video. Look at the episode of Chuck VS the Third Dimension (the non 3-D version) and you will see that the grain look that is added is not present. The reason for that was so that the 3-D would give a better effect. 99% of time the transfers are overseen by the producers or cinematographer.

I agree with this. The blu-ray certainly aren't Avatar or anything, but they are better than the dvds. Worth it imo.

[quote name='ZForce915']Yeah...no. You don't shoot on inferior technology to give it a "look", you add that look in post. The blu ray seems like a clear case of poor source material and lackluster transfer.[/QUOTE]

Sorry, you're incorrect.

The show is meant to look like crap. The Blu-ray, thankfully, did not DNR out the intended grain.

Yeah, I think people who complain about the PQ on the Blurays have never seen the show as broadcast, for WHATEVER reason, the show itself has a very heavy grain. You can argue about why, but the Blurays aren't horribly bad, they just faithfully capture the show's look as apparently intended.

[quote name='8bitlover']ZForce915,

I work in the post production for a major studio and all most all TV and Feature films do a lot of tweeking of the picture in post. Almost always it is done twice. Once for the initial broadcast or theatrical run. Then another pass for home video. Look at the episode of Chuck VS the Third Dimension (the non 3-D version) and you will see that the grain look that is added is not present. The reason for that was so that the 3-D would give a better effect. 99% of time the transfers are overseen by the producers or cinematographer.[/QUOTE]

Well I suppose if I'm wrong, I'm wrong.

But if I'm understanding you correctly, my theory is correct (that this grain effect would more often than not be done in post) but Chuck is the exception?

[quote name='ZForce915']Well I suppose if I'm wrong, I'm wrong.

But if I'm understanding you correctly, my theory is correct (that this grain effect would more often than not be done in post) but Chuck is the exception?[/QUOTE]

It depends on the show. Pushing Daisies is very post heavy. Of course it had a very shiny and clean look. Mad Man also has a deliberate post look, very smoky and grainy. Fringe is a very obvious post look. It really depends on how they want it too look. The main reason for it to be done in post is because that way they get the shots on the sets as quickly as possible. It also saves time with lighting and set ups on the sets. On the flip side some older shows like Dallas are just the same old transfers from the old days. The reason is that they are only going to sell so many of them and the cost to do new transfers would put the project in the red.

It's a real shame that people jump the gun on the transfers of stuff on Blu Ray and DVD. Most of the time the transfers look and sound great. I agree that there are some really bad transfers out there. As always there is a balance of time and money.

bread's done
Back