Circuit City... bankrupt?

Used up all the CC credit from gift cards that I got through Citi (bonus 20K points = $200 GC) on GTA IV.

Now, I do not have to worry about having worthless GCs when CC goes under.

[quote name='knexx']management at CC got an email a few days ago about the bankruptcy.. i may be able to find out more when an employee i know goes to work today.. and as a former employee of 3 years, i say it was just a matter of time.

i remember an assistant manager at the store i worked at didn't even graduate high school. our store manager didn't have any college courses under his belt either, making 70-80k a year. getting a position at CC was all about being somebodies buddy. we were understaffed for the longest time, corporate decided to spend money on a new computer system(600 million), to go from the decade old DPS(flawed but functional), to Magellan(never even seen on the west coast), and now i heard its a totally different one that probably wont work right to add to the nightmare of working at CC. unless their plan was to rack up as much debt they can and then file bk to avoid paying it, then I'd say they don't have a clue as to what their doing. but really it was the downsizing of mostly experienced hourly associates that was CC's downfall. they should have trimmed more fat from the corporate level, since they were the ones making the decisions that were driving the company off of a cliff. CEO making 2 million dollars while the company is in debt?

I don't understand it... if the highest paid officers took a pay cut, maybe canceled their month long vacation to Europe, they could have easily paid their experienced associates their ~30k a year. another funny thing was hiring a bunch of idiots to sell stuff they had no clue about, and then going from departments to "full floor" in which you had somebody that rung up DVDs/video games, trying to sell TVs/car stereos/or computers... oh i remember people leaving angry due to the lack of knowledge shown by associates it was hilarious. every month the region i worked in didnt hit their sales budget. well now most of the former employees work at best buy and are making 1-3 dollars more than before with a 50% off discount...CC gave about a 10% discount, and they still tried to sell you a full price warranty.

anyways, good riddance, i just hope prices aren't affected with less competition around.

REDEEM YOUR GIFT CARDS!! RETURN YOUR WARRANTIED PURCHASES![/quote]Best buy isn't much better at hiring knowledgeable people. I remember a few years ago trying to get a job at one near me. All he was interested in was how well i could sell shit, not if i knew anything about it. I've noticed that most large store's hiring practices run contradictory to their advertisements, meaing they do not hiring knowledgeable people, just ones who could sell anything to anyone.

[quote name='xtreme_Zr2']This will go on to be another bs restructuring if they were to file bankruptcy.

Like how the infamous Kmart bought SEARS?:roll:, Lord have mercy any judge(s) to let Kmart buy any other company is mentally incompetent. Sears is also now in trouble (Sorry for those who love the store) because it cant respond to the dynamic market. Kmart has not changed anything they needed to (CUSTOMER SERVICE) and rather placed Craftsman tools in the store for a savior of a strategy.

CC also suffers the same primary problem, customer service. Despite a day an age where the consumer doesn't need his/her hand held when making a purchase, if you are a big box, you have to get what little customer service you have right. Walmart for example, is the busiest and has the least tech savvy employees, however they succeed because for the most part they are friendly, willing to help, and you can check out in a matter of minutes at 40 registers.
CC on the other hand, will have one register open, employees who generally dislike their job, manager, etc. and will go out of their way to pass on a question to another employee, or avoid the customer all together. As always there are exceptions to this stereotype, but these are mine and many other's experiences at CC.

Back to my point, due to the breadth of CC and its always excess capital (inventory), some restructuring of debt, equity, or extreme case acquistion will allow CC to keeping ticking for another good decade.[/quote]

Funny, but I tend to agree with your summary of Walmart, at least for the newer stores in town (there's maybe only a few "old" stores here). For the most part, there's staff on floor when you need them and they'll at least help you get stuff out of the case or from a high to reach place or get you a t-shirt from the back.

That isn't right about the checking out at 40 registers, because only a few of them are ever open at a time. Even at Christmas time, they are never all open.

A bit off topic but how do you guys get Citi Thank You points? Citi is the bank I use for my business accounts as well as my everyday personal banking accounts and I do a shitload of business with them...I don't even know if I have any thank you points.

while i don't know for sure...but it is probably a special credit card rewards program with citibank..the best way to do it, is to call citibank and ask about it. You can switch out of you current credit card to another one with points program...usually the cc that give you points have higher interest rates, largerly due to the affinity with different brands/companies...ie MLB CC have higher rates due to the purchasing of the rights from MLB to have team logo's on the CC, or a northwest cc is higher due to the affinity with northwest.

[quote name='buffdrew84']i read somewhere that cc, old navy and kmart are all closing down[/QUOTE]

You read wrong. Old Navy isn't even it's own company, and GAP Inc is doing ok.

[quote name='knexx']management at CC got an email a few days ago about the bankruptcy.. i may be able to find out more when an employee i know goes to work today.. and as a former employee of 3 years, i say it was just a matter of time.

i remember an assistant manager at the store i worked at didn't even graduate high school. our store manager didn't have any college courses under his belt either, making 70-80k a year. getting a position at CC was all about being somebodies buddy. we were understaffed for the longest time, corporate decided to spend money on a new computer system(600 million), to go from the decade old DPS(flawed but functional), to Magellan(never even seen on the west coast), and now i heard its a totally different one that probably wont work right to add to the nightmare of working at CC. unless their plan was to rack up as much debt they can and then file bk to avoid paying it, then I'd say they don't have a clue as to what their doing. but really it was the downsizing of mostly experienced hourly associates that was CC's downfall. they should have trimmed more fat from the corporate level, since they were the ones making the decisions that were driving the company off of a cliff. CEO making 2 million dollars while the company is in debt?

I don't understand it... if the highest paid officers took a pay cut, maybe canceled their month long vacation to Europe, they could have easily paid their experienced associates their ~30k a year. another funny thing was hiring a bunch of idiots to sell stuff they had no clue about, and then going from departments to "full floor" in which you had somebody that rung up DVDs/video games, trying to sell TVs/car stereos/or computers... oh i remember people leaving angry due to the lack of knowledge shown by associates it was hilarious. every month the region i worked in didnt hit their sales budget. well now most of the former employees work at best buy and are making 1-3 dollars more than before with a 50% off discount...CC gave about a 10% discount, and they still tried to sell you a full price warranty.

anyways, good riddance, i just hope prices aren't affected with less competition around.

REDEEM YOUR GIFT CARDS!! RETURN YOUR WARRANTIED PURCHASES![/quote]

QFT on CC... I feel everything you wrote in that post... Me, being an ex-employee as well I feel that we are the same person because I was just about to type the same thing ^^

Someone posted a link to this thread on slickdeals earlier today. It cracked me up to see it come across the RSS feed. Every single person in that thread said that the OP was full of shit.

[quote name='JolietJake']That isn't right about the checking out at 40 registers, because only a few of them are ever open at a time. Even at Christmas time, they are never all open.[/quote]

You must have one crappy, crappy Walmart in your neck of the woods. There's at least 10 registers open at any given time here.

I am a associate at circuit city in NV.
all of you who are crying about returing stuff you just bought because you got a prtection plan.
stop.
all of our protection plans are backed up by a outside company.
i dont rember the name.
by law we have to honor our protection plan.

[quote name='hiccupleftovers']You must have one crappy, crappy Walmart in your neck of the woods. There's at least 10 registers open at any given time here.[/quote]
That still isn't checking out at 40 registers. I've never been to a single department store where every register was open, even during busy times like Christmas.

bread's done
Back