CircuitCity.com to start selling pre-owned games

wlau

CAGiversary!
Feedback
39 (100%)
Looks like CircuitCity.com is going to start selling pre-owned games. Too bad they're copying Gamestop's "box and/or instructions may not be included" policy.

Here's a list of titles that are "coming soon":

Wii
PS2
PS3
PSP
Xbox
Xbox360

interesting.... I wonder if these are games people returned and they couldn't get credit for them from the vendors. Or did they buy gamestop or some other companies overstock. The times they are a changin

What kind of moron buys a game used for only $5 cheaper, especially when it could be disc only? Someone obviously has to, or else Gamestop wouldn't keep doing it. I'm just wondering who is that asinine.

It may suck now, but hopefully if they keep it up (and Best Buy expands their program), competition will start improving things (prices and conditions).

[quote name='musha666']I hate that "may not be included" crap. Doesnt even seem to be that great of prices (for xbox360 anyways).[/QUOTE]

Yeah, no kidding - the Wii games are mostly $45.99. OK, $4 less for a used game not guaranteed to be complete? I'm all over that! At least they seem to have free shipping :rofl:.

My local CC has been doing this in store for about 6 months now and I have yet to see a game with out a box. However I never see good prices the exception to the rule is sports games they tend to be the cheapest but I have found a few occasions were a game is on sale new but the used copy is more expensive. Take it for what its worth but there stock of used games never seems to move.

[quote name='mietha']What kind of moron buys a game used for only $5 cheaper, especially when it could be disc only? Someone obviously has to, or else Gamestop wouldn't keep doing it. I'm just wondering who is that asinine.[/quote]

well the way it was explained to me to overcome this particular objection (the one about only a $5.00 difference, not no box/no instructions) and I'm not making this up....ask the customer "if you saw five bucks on the floor, and it didn't belong to anyone else, would you pick it up?" and if the customer said "yes" which this particular manager claimed 99% of the time they would, then I was supposed to say " same difference" I'm saving you five bucks putting money back in your wallet. If five bucks is valuable to you (which you just admitted it is" then why not purchase the used game which has the same gaurantee as a new one and you can exchange if you don't like it.

"now you can't say it like a smart-ass" this manager said you just say in a normal conversational tone and not like you are trying to show the customer up.

I never used it. I just said "yeah I know, corporate sets the prices."

[quote name='Kfoster1979']My local CC has been doing this in store for about 6 months now and I have yet to see a game with out a box. However I never see good prices the exception to the rule is sports games they tend to be the cheapest but I have found a few occasions were a game is on sale new but the used copy is more expensive. Take it for what its worth but there stock of used games never seems to move.[/QUOTE]

same here where i live... i don't even waste time looking at their used games anymore since half the time i only check their store when a game has a good sale.

[quote name='davidjinfla']well the way it was explained to me to overcome this particular objection (the one about only a $5.00 difference, not no box/no instructions) and I'm not making this up....ask the customer "if you saw five bucks on the floor, and it didn't belong to anyone else, would you pick it up?" and if the customer said "yes" which this particular manager claimed 99% of the time they would, then I was supposed to say " same difference" I'm saving you five bucks putting money back in your wallet. If five bucks is valuable to you (which you just admitted it is" then why not purchase the used game which has the same gaurantee as a new one and you can exchange if you don't like it.

"now you can't say it like a smart-ass" this manager said you just say in a normal conversational tone and not like you are trying to show the customer up.

I never used it. I just said "yeah I know, corporate sets the prices."[/quote]

Also, the $5 difference actually turns into about $8 (on a newer game) or so when using the EB Card. I personally don't buy anything without the case or instructions, but I don't then buy it new. I just wait until i see a used one with case and instructions.

Do not want. Prices aren't that great, and no box/instructions kills it. I don't do it from EB/GS, I'm not going to do it from them.

[quote name='schuerm26']Also, the $5 difference actually turns into about $8 (on a newer game) or so when using the EB Card. I personally don't buy anything without the case or instructions, but I don't then buy it new. I just wait until i see a used one with case and instructions.[/quote]

I agree. The last game I bought was Fight Night Round 3 for the 360, it was either 29.99 new or 22.50 after (10%). I check the used copy case, which was like new, with instructions that looked like it was never read, then asked the GS employee what condition the disc was in. He found it and told me it looked like it was never played. I bought the used copy.

If I can save money by buying a copy that will basically look the same as if I bought it new and opened it, I'll buy the used copy. $5 is still $5 and it adds up with all the small purchases over the course of a year.

As an employee for Circuit City, I know they've been testing used game sales in the northwest market for half a year or longer now, but I haven't heard good things about it. My guess (And of course, I could be dead wrong) is that they're discontinuing the whole used game thing and they're trying to sell them online quickly.

Problem is, bleh. Their used game prices are actually WORSE than EB/GS, so what's the point? I almost always try to buy my stuff brand new nowadays, but I dunno. That's my two cents, and like I said, I could be wrong.

Yea they have been selling used games at the store in Raleigh as well. Most of the stuff they tended to have was old sports games though (or at least that is what they had when I went).

[quote name='davidjinfla']interesting.... I wonder if these are games people returned and they couldn't get credit for them from the vendors. Or did they buy gamestop or some other companies overstock. The times they are a changin[/QUOTE]

I was also thinking that these were just opened games or games with damaged cases. CC has an ebay store which I think they use to unload this stuff.

in the test markets did they actually advertise trading in?

As long as...

1) They stop listing used games with new games on the site. I don't want to browse through a system's list of games that contains both new and used in the same list. Seperate them (they have no list for New games only, as they are combined).

2) They don't pull the "re-shrinkwrap used games as new" stunt that GameStop/EB pulls.

...I could care less.

[guitar riffs]

You want the hottest and newest video games

Without paying the highest price

Come into Circuit City for all the hottest games at the lowest prices

You're going to open it up anyways, let us do it for you

I GUESS YOU'RE JUST WHAT I NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEDED

[stock video of 20 something pasty white male looking at used games as if they were the second coming of Christ, followed by all knowing smiling circuit city employee posing menacingly]
-

I'm not happy about this story...I don't want to see used games at CC...it might end the clearances..the prices won't be good eithewr....

[quote name='InvaderZim']... another nail in the coffin for GameStop.[/quote]

Haha I'm sure they'll find a way to buy out CC or something horribly insane first.

[quote name='sarausagi'][guitar riffs]

You want the hottest and newest video games

Without paying the highest price

Come into Circuit City for all the hottest games at the lowest prices

You're going to open it up anyways, let us do it for you

I GUESS YOU'RE JUST WHAT I NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEDED

[stock video of 20 something pasty white male looking at used games as if they were the second coming of Christ, followed by all knowing smiling circuit city employee posing menacingly]
-

I'm not happy about this story...I don't want to see used games at CC...it might end the clearances..the prices won't be good eithewr....[/QUOTE]

I found that genuinely funny. Well played.

The only time I buy used is from other CAGs, who I know will take care of their games, or from EB/GS at a B&M store, when I can inspect the disc and make my own complete game with case and manual.

From CC.com? fuck no.

[quote name='shrike4242']The only time I buy used is from other CAGs, who I know will take care of their games, or from EB/GS at a B&M store, when I can inspect the disc and make my own complete game with case and manual.

From CC.com? fuck no.[/QUOTE]

Eh, I think this will probably blow over and turn into not much of anything. All of these big retailers have dabbled in this sort of thing at one time or another and I can't remember any of them putting enough effort into it to make it fly.

This could be good or bad. I'm afraid we are going to have some stores trying to pass some used stuff as new just like EB / Gamestop do. They are going to have to come up with some better pricing if they intend to actually sell them.

Isn't CompUSA in or about to be in the used videogame business also? I could have sworn I saw an add that you could trade in consoles for store credit.

Also: the "box and/or instructions may not be included" is a point of sadness

[quote name='vherub']Also: the "box and/or instructions may not be included" is a point of sadness[/QUOTE]

Its pretty much a standard disclaimer much adkin to, say, "This product MAY contain peanuts."

[quote name='Indiana']This could be good or bad. I'm afraid we are going to have some stores trying to pass some used stuff as new just like EB / Gamestop do. They are going to have to come up with some better pricing if they intend to actually sell them.[/quote]
Ok. I worked for eb for 8 years.

1. Used Games are more profitable than
New Games. Only an IDIOT would sell Used as New. There is no advantage or
Profit in Doing this.

2. If Idiot manager did this it would create a discrepancy in the stores inventory. Being over is just as bad as being short it is still considered shrink.
It is also considered falsifying company records. IDIOT MANAGER would be FIRED for doing this. And they have been.

3. There is no company policy that allows or encourgaes any employee to sell USED as NEW. This would cut into corporate profits, foul up Inventory, and would be a public relations nightmare.

4. The reason they cannot sell gutted product as used is because they did not buy it used. It is in the books as a NEW product. When Eb is Audited they have to show their inventory is correctly identified otherwise they could be sued by the stockholders and various government agencies for FRAUD.

5. Yes they need to work out a better system. But in the 8 years and thousands of transactions I have done and witnessed 99% of my customers have never had a problem with buying a gutted game. So do you think the coporate pigs at EB/Gamestop are gonna change this system. HELL NO!
not until it cost them money.

6. So please. please. please. STOP PERPETUATING THIS MYTH.

7. I'm not so naive as to believe due to incompetence, games filed in the wrong place, or panic that used product has found its way into a new case and sold as such. HOWEVER, It is not intentional so EB can make more money.

[quote name='davidjinfla']Ok. I worked for eb for 8 years.

Profit in Doing this.

2. If Idiot manager did this it would create a discrepancy in the stores inventory. Being over is just as bad as being short it is still considered shrink.
It is also considered falsifying company records. IDIOT MANAGER would be FIRED for doing this. And they have been.

3. There is no company policy that allows or encourgaes any employee to sell USED as NEW. This would cut into corporate profits, foul up Inventory, and would be a public relations nightmare.

4. The reason they cannot sell gutted product as used is because they did not buy it used. It is in the books as a NEW product. When Eb is Audited they have to show their inventory is correctly identified otherwise they could be sued by the stockholders and various government agencies for FRAUD.

5. Yes they need to work out a better system. But in the 8 years and thousands of transactions I have done and witnessed 99% of my customers have never had a problem with buying a gutted game. So do you think the coporate pigs at EB/Gamestop are gonna change this system. HELL NO!

7. I'm not so naive as to believe due to incompetence, games filed in the wrong place, or panic that used product has found its way into a new case and sold as such. HOWEVER, It is not intentional so EB can make more money.[/QUOTE]
The only thing that I can say is .................... 8 YEARS at EB????? WTF!! You got more guts than most people. Too much analness for such crappy pay. More power to you.

[quote name='davidjinfla']Ok. I worked for eb for 8 years.

Profit in Doing this.

7. I'm not so naive as to believe due to incompetence, games filed in the wrong place, or panic that used product has found its way into a new case and sold as such. HOWEVER, It is not intentional so EB can make more money.[/quote]

I think 99% of CAGs understand this, but what we can't understand is why the managers shouldn't be allowed or able to knock $5 from the price of a gutted game. I wouldn't mind buying a game like this if it is in minty shape. Sell it as "new" if you want but but throw us a bone and don't pretend it is the same as an unopened game.

I am not doubting that you were honest about the used as new situation, but I can think of plenty of reasons it could be done and ways to do it so that it would not mess up the inventory. Think about this: an employee wants to get a game at the used price, but wants a new copy. The switch would let him take the new game as used after he swapped a used game for new so as not to mess up the inventory. And when everyone knows they sell gutted copies, it makes the chances of switching (intentionally or unintentionally) even more likely to happen. This is one of the many reasons why it is hard to believe that it has never happened.

oh I totally agree it has happened. But that is the case of a dishonnest employee. Not a corporate policy as many of those who write these statements. Plus, I've caught and fired employees for doing that exact same thing. You can't trust your employees 100 % you always have to retain a little skepticism. My boss never trusted me 100 % he was always doing inventory audits. I was always doing inventory checks. Plus only me and the assistant manager were allowed to ring up employees. The ones I caught always thought they were to clever to get busted. Usually they would blab to a customer or co-worker and it would get back to me. Or I would have to deal with the defective return look who's name was on the reciept and then compare it with the employee purchase log, and go hmmm same game but one is used the other is new. I wouldn't even have to grill them I just would ask and they would fess up.

As for a discount for open games yeah I wish my DM would have authorized it but there was always to much potential for abuse.
And the margins were so small after you factor out cost of shipping, paying the bills, payroll and other cost of doing buisness. It's cool that TV,s, appliances, and computers can be marked down but thats only because they are already priced at a high mark up. I used to get Best Buy employees purchasing games at my store. Because it was cheaper after trading in games or buying a used one with an edge card than getting thier employee discount on games.

I just got to know my customers and told them that if they were interested in a game call me up on the day it came out and I would hold it for a certain length of time say 7pm. This of course was before gamestop took over and pre-orders became the big focus.
And like I said in all my years this was maybe five people. If I couldn't do it I was just truthful and said I didn't have enough copies to hold one for them.

I think most people, ie, non-gamers,would see a game and say, "Five bucks off, and still guaranteed? Sure!" because they may not have the time or interest in stretching the bucks as we do.
Used games are definitely more profitable, for the same reason (someone obviously wants seven dollars credit more than his game that he's already beaten).
Nowadays instruction manuals aren't really even that necessary--most games have some sort of tutorial level, or there's always gamefaqs. But again, most of us are probably completists, or at least are thinking of future sale/trade when buying a game, so it's definitely an issue for us; may not be for Joe Consumer.
But yeah, the prices are not attractive, if it's less than 10% difference I'll usually buy new to get guaranteed complete, esp. when you can order from some places online and not pay tax, and I do like games to be complete.

And I can kinda see why the manager can't drop the price of an incomplete used game. For most corporate endeavours, pricing comes from on-high, at least at the district level if not state, or at least above the store level. Removing that level of decision making helps the business run consistently (if not necessarily "efficiently"), and helps to eliminate the possibility of fraud.

[quote name='InvaderZim']... another nail in the coffin for GameStop.[/quote]

Heh. Gamestop is buying up stores left and right while Circuit City is closing stores left and right. I don't think there are any nails in the Gamestop coffin just yet, considering they control probably 90% of the used video game market in the country.

Is this that big of a story? The CC in Roanoke, VA has been selling used games for months now. But as someone said earlier, the stock is rather crap. (They did have an RE4 Premium Edition for $39.99 when they first stocked, but that was the only thing noteworthy IMO)

I thought i should i tell yall bestbuy might sell used games to.I was recently searching for a game in the bestbuy system. I was surprised I saw two different skus for many games. I checked the description and saw alot of used game description. Also there is a whole section for used games in the bestbuy system. So who knows.

[quote name='Rictor']Heh. Gamestop is buying up stores left and right while Circuit City is closing money losing stores left and right while OPENING new stores left and right while at it.[/QUOTE]

Fixed.

[quote name='mykevermin']http://www.next-gen.biz/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=4784&Itemid=2

http://pspupdates.qj.net/Circuit-City-testing-sales-of-used-games/pg/49/aid/83821

Two news bits mentioning this today with no CAG mention (though the next-gen article cites a market report).[/quote]

GameSpot has a similar article up, but their wording is strange:

Lazard Capital Markets analyst Colin Sebastian today sent a note to investors tipping them off to Circuit City's used game sales, but said he doesn't see the retailer as a significant near-term threat to GameStop's bottom line.
:whistle2:k

Hey i just noticed that circuitcity.com is selling some pre-owned games like the original Halo for $13.99 and there's free shipping i think on orders over $24 bucks or something.......... http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Pre-owned-Halo-Combat-Evolved-Xbox/sem/rpsm/oid/174156/catOid/-16483/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

Now this isn't huge discount but i didn't know until today that C.C. sold used so i did a price check at EBgames.com and they sell same game used for $12.99 but i'm not aware of any shipping discounts (maybe there is, i don't fracking know!!!).

Anyways just thought it was good info to know that while doing searches for games at C.C. that there may be some used games showing up!!!

Here's some damn good search results i just found after investigating more......

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/PlayStation-3-2/sem/rpsm/catOid/-16481/Ntk/All/Ntt/Pre-owned/rpem/ccd/categorylist.do

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/PSP/sem/rpsm/catOid/-16482/Ntk/All/Ntt/Pre-owned/rpem/ccd/categorylist.do

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Xbox-360-Xbox/sem/rpsm/catOid/-16483/Ntk/All/Ntt/Pre-owned/rpem/ccd/categorylist.do

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Nintendo-Wii-GameCube/sem/rpsm/catOid/-16484/Ntk/All/Ntt/Pre-owned/rpem/ccd/categorylist.do

bread's done
Back