Civ 4- CAG PitBoss Game! Game is over, victory to Jesse Dylan!

[quote name='halfbent']Definitely count me in for a Civ5 game. I actually just returned from PAX, during which I got to attend a closed door demo/Q&A driven by a couple of Firaxis devs. The biggest reason I attended was to actually ask the questions "What about Pitboss at launch?" - I didn't get an answer other than "we can't talk about that," but the session in general had some really good info. It wasn't just about pitboss tho, they were tight-lipped about the multiplayer in general.[/QUOTE]

Too bad they didn't confirm Pitboss. PB honestly makes these games work so much better, it's ridiculous.

I'll put you down for a civ 5 game whenever we can get one started!

In other news, first reviews of Civ 5 are coming in! 93/100 from PC Gamer!

I'm still hoping someone had a deal on Civ V before/at/shortly after release. Since it uses Steamworks, I can buy it anywhere!

I don't want to miss out on the first Civ V pitboss tho. I almost just bought it on Steam today.

Is it just me or is the deluxe edition kind of a rip? $10 more for some videos of Sid talking about how great he is in bed and the soundtrack that should be free anyway?

I wonder what kind of manual the boxed copy comes with?

If I remember right, the retail box CE came with several mini-figs that I was interested in, but ended up just pre-ordering through Steam. I'm getting lazy in my retail ventures these days. ;)

Me too. Tho someone said K-mart is giving a $20 gift card towards another game with purchase of Civ V. That sounds good to me! Especially since I already have $15 to use on a game at K-mart from donating blood. :) hehe

[quote name='Jesse_Dylan']Me too. Tho someone said K-mart is giving a $20 gift card towards another game with purchase of Civ V. That sounds good to me! Especially since I already have $15 to use on a game at K-mart from donating blood. :) hehe[/QUOTE]

:cry::cry:

I hope they start building K-Marts around my house .

[quote name='halfbent']If I remember right, the retail box CE came with several mini-figs that I was interested in, but ended up just pre-ordering through Steam. I'm getting lazy in my retail ventures these days. ;)[/QUOTE]

5 pewter miniatures from Reaper Miniatures, they do excellent work. That and a 180pg coffee table artbook, which is the main reason why I ended up buying it.

Can't wait for Tuesday.

KMart is doing a 20 gaming coupon with the purchase of Civ 5, according to the KMart thread, which is probably going to be the best bet if you don't want the CE.

I'm just hoping that the Civ 5 Pitboss, whenever it happens, will be a very minimal interface like the Civ4 PB. All the Civ4 PB interface is is just a very simple Visual Basic esque screen. Really nothing to it, which helps for actually running it.

Smaller the footprint, the more likely that my Civ Server can actually handle it.

[quote name='Jesse_Dylan']Me too. Tho someone said K-mart is giving a $20 gift card towards another game with purchase of Civ V. That sounds good to me! Especially since I already have $15 to use on a game at K-mart from donating blood. :) hehe[/QUOTE]

$20 gaming coupon (not a gift card, as it's a paper that prints out of the register that can only be used on games) towards a future purchase when you buy Civ V, in stores on 9/21 ;) Deal is definitely for real, can check out the sticky in the deals forum.

They will have it when the stores open on Tuesday, which is 8 am for most. Hell, they'll probably have it for sale before it gets unlocked on Steam!

[quote name='Jesse_Dylan']
I wonder what kind of manual the boxed copy comes with?[/QUOTE]

I've honestly heard it has no manual, and it's just a PDF file.

Can't confirm it 100% though.

http://www.weplayciv.com/forums/content.php?75-Civilization-V-Feature-Civ-5-s-Social-Responsibility

Actually, maybe I can confirm it:

We’ve made the formerly 200+ page printed manual an improved interactive PDF. This PDF manual allows you to click on screenshots to see them clearer than thumbnails, navigate much easier with clickable links, and most importantly, look forward to manual updates as we make changes to the game.

Jeez. If it weren't for the good deal at K-mart, then, there wouldn't be much use in getting a boxed copy. I'll probably toss it once I get it activated on Steam.

Am I crazy, or was there a post here about K-mart having it the morning of 9/21? I was going to reply to it and say,

"Sweet, I have the day off on Tuesday! I'll be pissed if I get there at 8 and they don't have it to buy til later."

But... I have nothing to reply to now.

[quote name='Jesse_Dylan']Jeez. If it weren't for the good deal at K-mart, then, there wouldn't be much use in getting a boxed copy. I'll probably toss it once I get it activated on Steam.

Am I crazy, or was there a post here about K-mart having it the morning of 9/21? I was going to reply to it and say,

"Sweet, I have the day off on Tuesday! I'll be pissed if I get there at 8 and they don't have it to buy til later."

But... I have nothing to reply to now.[/QUOTE]

Yea, I posted that, but realized someone beat me to it, so I deleted it :p

And yea, they'll have it on 9/21 (it is street dated, I believe), but chances are you'll need to get an employee to go in the stock room and grab it for you.

Aww man, I hate .pdf manuals.

Sure, it's linky and updatable and nice, but it doesn't solve the main problem.

It is *much* more difficult to drop the browns off at the super bowl while reading it.

I frankly wouldn't even bother reading it, but my Amazon Kindle does PDFs pretty well, so I'll read it on there. :) Maybe they'll make a Kindle-optimized version.

Okay, probably not.

Still, better than reading it on a computer screen.

I had pre-ordered it through Steam, and was really suprised it was unlocked when I woke up this morning. Have been playing the last couple hours. :)

Multiplayer looked /very/ barebones for the moment. I'm not sure how Civ4's release went, but as it sits right now, the only options for MP are Internet and Local. SP has been pretty great so far tho, I really love the cross-up of the UI between old Civ's and CivRev.

[quote name='Jesse_Dylan']So I went all the way out to freaking K-mart, and mine doesn't carry PC games.

WTF?

Guess I'll just order a copy from Amazon.com. Sigh...[/QUOTE]

Jesse, you've gotta go back. Trust me.

I just went to mine at 7:30 pm, and got told the same thing. I told them it was in the ad, and made them go check the stockroom. Sure enough, they brought out a box with Civ V in it. They hadn't even bothered to stock it yet.

Go to the main deal forum, the K-Mart thread is stickied, and e-mail the rep in the OP. He'll help you out.

But I guarantee you your K-Mart has it. They told me they don't carry PC games while we were standing in front of a case with a visible Starcraft 2... they are just misinformed.

[quote name='Jesse_Dylan']So I went all the way out to freaking K-mart, and mine doesn't carry PC games.

WTF?

Guess I'll just order a copy from Amazon.com. Sigh...[/QUOTE]

That's weird they usually, at the minimum, have a bargain bin with $5 to $10 games.

I just got my C.E.!

The artbook is really bloody nice and the minis are cool.

But, the bloody thing came with 2 copies of the Behind the Scenes DVDs, no soundtrack.

Bah.

[quote name='Megazell']That's weird they usually, at the minimum, have a bargain bin with $5 to $10 games.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='animalspinners']Jesse, you've gotta go back. Trust me.

I just went to mine at 7:30 pm, and got told the same thing. I told them it was in the ad, and made them go check the stockroom. Sure enough, they brought out a box with Civ V in it. They hadn't even bothered to stock it yet.

Go to the main deal forum, the K-Mart thread is stickied, and e-mail the rep in the OP. He'll help you out.

But I guarantee you your K-Mart has it. They told me they don't carry PC games while we were standing in front of a case with a visible Starcraft 2... they are just misinformed.[/QUOTE]

I dunno... I looked all over the entire electronics area and didn't see a single PC game. I didn't see a single employee either, actually, so I didn't ask! But maybe I should cancel my Amazon order and check one last time tomorrow. Or maybe I should call them right now and say it's in the ad and ask if they can check the stock room...

I actually didn't see it in the ad, though. Maybe K-marts in my area don't carry PC games? :/

Edit--Woop, nevermind. Shipping already.

Current time on hold with 2k games: 28 minutes, 26 seconds.

Numbers of times told how long the wait is: 0

Numbers of times I've heard the EXACT SAME 10 bars of country music: Approximately 60.

Edit:

End time on hold: 45 minutes, then hung up.

Number of times told how long the wait is (or if they're even fucking open): 0

Number of times I heard those 10 bars of country: KILL ME

Last edited by a moderator:
Any updates?

Should be getting my Civ V today, but I just realized, we're not going to be playing Civ V pitboss for a while probably.... so why did I buy it?

Aw well.

[quote name='Jesse_Dylan']Any updates?

Should be getting my Civ V today, but I just realized, we're not going to be playing Civ V pitboss for a while probably.... so why did I buy it?

Aw well.[/QUOTE]

Yeah that was my thinking this morning too. Now that I've finished up a game, I really don't want to start another (even tho I did..) until PitBoss is released. They said about a month after release previously I guess.

So it's probably too early to say, and there certainly are many cool things about it, but... I'm not sure I really like Civ V.

D: halp?

So that makes two games I've run out and bought at full price this year that ended up being games I should really have waited about: Elemental: War of Magic (bought the collector's edition! argh) and Civ V.

Jesse. Why?

I'm digging Civ 5. The thing about it is the new combat system. It's much more interesting to me than the Stack o Doom from previous Civs.

It's a bit rough, but I'm sure it'll shape up over time.

Yeah, hopefully after I get used to it and it's gotten some patching. I agree the combat system is a vast improvement.

I thought maybe you were still on hold with Take2. :D

Haha.

I emailed their customer service. Nothing.

I was also contacted by a 2K rep on the CivFanatics forum, where he asked me to email him, which I did. And, nothing. That was Wednesday, I still haven't heard anythign back. :\

Edit: Just checked my email, he got in touch with me. No replacements in stock for the CD yet, but he did give me a code to upgrade my steam version to the digital deluxe, which includes a digital soundtrack. That's pretty cool of them.

Last edited by a moderator:
EVery month or so, my Civ IV installation reverts to a few defaults. It saves some of my preferences, but it switches to full screen mode (I normally have it set to windowed), and, most annoyingly, deletes the IP address from the box so I have to go to my CAG mailbox and get it again.

Why does it do this? Why does this not happen to anyone else? It's so annoying!

Save from being knocked off the back page!

So, I've been messing around with Civ 5 and think we should do Quick whenever PB comes out. I did a quick game and it ended up being about 250 turns, which should go over quite well.

I'm up for that. I haven't really played it at all, so we can laugh at my bumbling at least. I still don't even know what I'm doing in Civ IV tho. I just realized yesterday that all my cities overlap and take food from each other.

I'm definitely still interested in a Civ5 PB. Have been playing a good chunk of SP, although I haven't touched it in 3-4 days now.

Oh, damnit, damnit, damnit.

I was about 3 or 4 turns away from completing The Manhattan Project. I'd been working on it all month.

I was going to become a little North Korea, small and nuclear armed.

[quote name='Logain8955']Oh, damnit, damnit, damnit.

I was about 3 or 4 turns away from completing The Manhattan Project. I'd been working on it all month.

I was going to become a little North Korea, small and nuclear armed.[/QUOTE]

Mwa haa ha...

I noticed today that the server's beginning to develop a worrying fan warble, like something inside it is grinding.

It's to be expected, since the server has been online nearly 24/7 since late January 2010.

Here's hoping it's nothing.

Not to derail the thread, but I haven't played any Civ. game ever and was wondering how the campaign played out. Is it like SC2 where you're given a mission and you have to complete it, or do you just get to do whatever you want and build up your own Civilization?

You could always download a demo to find out... :)

It's not like Starcraft in any way, though, really....... It's more like a board game in that there are victory conditions and you find your own way to achieve them. It's not mission-based or anything (although you can download stuff like that, at least for Civ IV).

There's not really a campaign, per se.

You start with a single city and slowly build your way up to a world spanning empire. Along the way you need to manage research, military, economics, diplomacy and population happiness. There's 5 different ways to win the game, all of which you can start working on the second you begin the game.

Download the Civ 5 Demo through Steam and give it a shot. It's an incredibly addictive series of games.

Man, by Civ IV is deleting the IP address and putting me in "full screen mode" almost every 2nd or 3rd day now. God does it piss me off, too. It may seem irrational, but I get irrationally pissed off.

It seems to me like our game is winding down, huh?

Yikes, I wasn't paying attention to the victory screen. Trent, you've gotta be getting close with your space ship....... Or wait, it doesn't launch til it's complete, then it has to travel? Is that it?

I think Civ4 ends when it's launched, Civ 5 requires travel time.

Good to hear that we're in the end game though! It seems like a lot of people went with more peaceful strategies. I got dominated early in the game and have been out of the running for quite some time.

bread's done
Back