Civilization V for $30 at Amazon. - AVAILABLE AGAIN!

gcorlett

CAGiversary!
Feedback
18 (100%)
514TtemttCL._AA300_.jpg

I just noticed this.

Amazon has Civ 5 on sale for $29.99.

This game has rarely dipped below $40 at Amazon since it was released; CamelCamelCamel.com tells me this is true.

If you have been waiting for a good price to get this, this is pretty good.

Note that in the end your game will be the same no matter if you buy it from Steam, from Amazon download, Amazon boxed copy, or at a retail store; it's a Steamworks game that requires Steam installation and updates to play. You're basically paying for an activation code for this game on Steam. This one happens to be the Amazon "download" version, which means you'll be playing after a 5 GB download from Steam.

Also worth pointing out that this game was largely panned by long-time fans when it was released, but the March 1st patch really fixed most of the single-player issues. Many of the multiplayer problems still exist but they are more nuisances than gamebreakers. Firaxis is still releasing regular patches and updates. It is fun but not as complicated as Civ 4: Beyond the Sword was. Not bad, just different.

If nothing else, this game has been in the top 10 of Steam's active games list since it was released, and that speaks pretty well to the fact that more people are playing than complaining.

Last edited by a moderator:
Awesome game that I would still be playing, too bad I have a terrible habit of buying games just to see them pile on my backlog. Btw I got it from green man gaming a while ago for $20.00.

I love this game, although I haven't touched it after my first game. It lasted 10 hours over two days. Now it's too daunting to start a new one :(

[quote name='xboongonzalezx']It says that the item is currently unavailable, and if I buy this copy can I download it from steam for my mac??[/QUOTE]

This is a steamplay game, If I understand correctly you must register on steam and when you do, you have it for both mac and PC.

[quote name='xboongonzalezx']amazon won't let me buy it at all, I wonder if it is because i am on a mac or if everyone is having that problem.[/QUOTE]

The download version is unavailable, the others are still in stock all at a higher price.

For those interested, a patch was released about a month ago which completely changed the balance of Civ V. I'd say that singleplayer has dramatically improved, though diplomacy and AI are still in need of work. Multiplayer has yet to be touched, so if you intend to play this via multiplayer, you might want to hold off. Check out forums.2kgames.com for the "official" game forum and read for yourself what people think.

[quote name='Aleman']I love this game, although I haven't touched it after my first game. It lasted 10 hours over two days. Now it's too daunting to start a new one :([/QUOTE]

Sounds like a standard CIV game :) I have been playing a ton of CIV IV and absolutely love the game. I plan to get V once they release the complete edition with all the DLC.

[quote name='Lord_Zath']For those interested, a patch was released about a month ago which completely changed the balance of Civ V. I'd say that singleplayer has dramatically improved, though diplomacy and AI are still in need of work. Multiplayer has yet to be touched, so if you intend to play this via multiplayer, you might want to hold off. Check out forums.2kgames.com for the "official" game forum and read for yourself what people think.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the update on this, multiplayer is why i held off on buying it to begin with so will keep watching for them to fix that aspect.

OP here. Pretty crazy that it's "unavailable" because it's currently #11 on the top downloaded games list on Amazon. That doesn't say very much good for #12-100.

But indeed, it's still showing unavailable. The price is still $30, but unavailable. Alas. I will keep watching it and post if it changes.

[quote name='looploop']any word on an expansion coming for this? I want religion back in. :p[/QUOTE]

No announcements. There have been several DLC releases of maps, nations, and game modes, but no word of any official expansion pack of the sort that Civ 3 and Civ 4 had. I think it's inevitable, but for now they are tight-lipped.

I've seen a thread at Civfanatics.com about a GOTY edition that rolls up all of the DLC released to date; apparently Amazon.com in Germany spilled the beans on this. But there has been no corresponding "all DLC" bundle yet for people who bought early.

It's worth mentioning that Civilization (the franchise) runs on a 5-6 year cycle. The expansions for past iterations of the game came after years, not months. I wouldn't expect any sort of major expansion before 4th quarter 2011.

Although I was not a fan of Religion or Corporations in Civ 4, I find that I miss them in Civ 5. It would be nice to see these reintroduced in a new manner at some point. Meantime, the mod community has really gotten to work on Civ 5 and I'm sure we'll see decent Religion mods for people who can't wait for something official.

bread's done
Back