• New combat system
  • Full-screen diplomacy
  • Hexagonal tiles rather than square
  • A "new engine"
  • Increased range for siege weapons

Confirmed Civs/Leaders:

1. America - George Washington
  2. Germany - Otto von Bismarck
(I'm sure we can figure out who the rest will be).

Previews:
IGN

Trailers/Screens:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETxMUjyxv9Q

screenshot_01.jpg
screenshot_02.jpg
screenshot_03.jpg

Official Site

Discuss!

Last edited by a moderator:
Damn it. This game takes way to long to play. I gave up on playing 4. Now I'm going to want 5 when it comes out. Damn it now I want to install 4 again so I need to go and find that. I just don't remember where I put it.

[quote name='sendme']Damn it. This game takes way to long to play. I gave up on playing 4. Now I'm going to want 5 when it comes out. Damn it now I want to install 4 again so I need to go and find that. I just don't remember where I put it.[/QUOTE]

I think 4 takes much less time to complete a game than the previous games were. I always play on the marathon setting because otherwise it's way too short. I haven't played it in quite a while though. I'm gonna have to get some homework done a get a game going later.

[quote name='bvharris']I'll be in on that for sure. How's your Civ IV game going?[/QUOTE]

It's going pretty good! We're still in the BC era, but people are beginning to get close to each other. Should be pretty interesting!

Civ IV is perfect for me, other than the AI needing some improvement.

Hopefully the specs for Civ V aren't too high. I am still gaming on a top of line (circa 2005) AGP system. I can run Civ IV at 1600x1200 with max AA. Based on these screenshots, it doesn't look too much more complex, but they will probably require shader model 3, which I don't have.

I am interested in how the hexes will change the game. I am used to hexes from years of boardgaming and always wondered why computer games usually relied on squares instead of hexes. Hexes are the ideal shape for boardgame-like movement.

[quote name='sendme']Damn it. This game takes way to long to play. I gave up on playing 4.[/QUOTE]
To be honest, Civ IV probably took you a long time because you gave up on it too quickly.

At Civ IV's release, I tried it for a week or two. The game seemed to take a long time and i didn't really have any idea of how to do well at the game, despite much experience with Civ II and III. It felt lackluster and I put it on the shelf.

Fast forward to a few months ago when I resurrected my PC for gaming purposes (I had abandoned it since 2006 when I gave up on PC gaming and switched to Mac), and I got back into Civ IV. This time I gave it a serious try and now I can complete a standard sized map with 7 civs in two sessions (anywhere from 4-6 hours). This is incredibly fast compared to how long Civ II and III used to take. Being familiar with the user interface will cut your playtime in half. You can control everything except micromanaging workers right from the main screen. Build queues and unit groups speed things up further. Changes in the game to allow production and research to carry over eliminate the old micromanagement.

You can watch high level Civ IV play videos on youtube. These people can complete games in 2 hours.

If this game is as good as Civ iv, I'm gonna be spending countless hours on this game (and probably slap on several pounds)! Everything looks great so far.

[quote name='CRH7386']I think 4 takes much less time to complete a game than the previous games were. I always play on the marathon setting because otherwise it's way too short. I haven't played it in quite a while though. I'm gonna have to get some homework done a get a game going later.[/QUOTE]

I always play on Marathon as well, since I like to have my games take a while to complete as well. I thought the game speed was one of the best recent additions to the franchise and I hope they bring it back (I'm sure they will).

Also, the first trailer has been added to the OP. No gameplay footage, but it still got me pumped.

I'm going to find my civ iv this weekend and when civ v comes out I will be getting it. Want to check it out even more now after seeing that video.

I hope this game is a bit more entertaining this Civ IV... I dunno why I didn't like that game, but I'm going to guess, if I didn't like Civ IV, I won't like Civ V.

One of the biggest changes to the game is the new one-unit-per-hex restriction. Previous Civ games have been dominated by the "stack of doom" where players create an unstoppable super unit by piling all of their units in a single square. That strategy is not available in Civ V, which should, the designers reason, pull combat away from the cities.

This has just turned into a day one purchase.

One of the biggest changes to the game is the new one-unit-per-hex restriction. Previous Civ games have been dominated by the "stack of doom" where players create an unstoppable super unit by piling all of their units in a single square. That strategy is not available in Civ V, which should, the designers reason, pull combat away from the cities.

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?

Holy shit. This game's gonna be hugely different.

We need to do a "I dunno wtf I'm doing" pitboss DAY OF RELEASE.

Hah, I'm down for multiple pitboss games I'm sure. From what it sounds like I'm going to love this one even more than Civ2 if it's humanly possible.

[quote name='Zing']One of the biggest changes to the game is the new one-unit-per-hex restriction. Previous Civ games have been dominated by the "stack of doom" where players create an unstoppable super unit by piling all of their units in a single square. That strategy is not available in Civ V, which should, the designers reason, pull combat away from the cities.

This has just turned into a day one purchase.[/QUOTE]

I wasn't particularly interested in Civ 5 until I read this. Now it's a day one purchase for me as well. (I beat Civ4 on very high difficulty, but then I realized how much I hate it)

I'm excited for the one-unit per tile rule as well, and am also curious to see if it will be toggle-able (I'm sure it will at least be through mods).

Additionally, the hexagonal tiles will actually be more movement restrictive than square, since you only have 6 movement paths rather than 8 (including diagonals). The combination of these factors should make combat much more strategic and challenging.

As a longtime Civ fan (from the beginning in fact) I'm glad to see that they're always innovating and moving forward rather than resting on their laurels.

bread's done
Back