Class Action Lawsuit? (HD DVD Offer)

honzoh

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
Any word on a lawsuit against this horrid HD promotion?

I spent $150 on a new player for nine movies of my choice, mailed the receipt before Feb, and just today got 4 shitty fucking movies that weren't even on the list of ones available....

I know some people said they had success getting the ones they wanted, but this just seems obserd. Not to mention that these have no resale value now, and are just coasters. I feel pretty darn screwed here...

Chances are there's a clause in the offer that says they can substitute other movies if they so choose, without even informing you.

Can happen with all technology, tough cookies. It never said you where guaranteed to get the 5 you picked either. Live with it. Sorry to be a dick, but frivolous lawsuits are frivolous.

[quote name='Form']Offer expires 2/28/08. All requests must be postmarked by 3/31/08. This offer is limited to one per family, household, or address and the right is reserved to confirm identity. Offer good only in the U.S. Offer void where prohibited, taxed, or otherwise restricted. Duplicate or invalid requests will be rejected and will not be returned. Allow 8-10 weeks for processing. Requests that, in the sole discretion of Toshiba and Microsoft, do not strictly comply with the terms and conditions of this Offer, including any fraudulent requests, are invalid. Toshiba and Microsoft are not responsible for incomplete forms or late, lost, illegible, stolen, delayed, un-postmarked, postage due, or misdirected mail. P.O. Boxes will not be honored. If you have not received the HD DVDs by the time allotted, you may call 1-800-405-7520. Free HD DVDs are limited to the selection shown for this offer, while supplies last. Free HD DVDs cannot be returned or exchanged at retailers.The packaging for the HD DVD movie titles in this promotion may be modified. Availability of titles listed is subject to change without notice. In the event a title is not available, Toshiba and Microsoft reserve the right to substitute another title. Offer not valid on refurbished, open-box, returned products, or demonstration products.[/quote]

[quote name='honzoh']Yeah, just read the fineprint. Ah well. Such shitty movies....so sad...[/QUOTE]

What did you get, anyway?

Ugh, awfulness:)

Dante's Peak
Jarhead
Italian Job
Spy Game
Blood Diamond

I already own Spy Game and Blood Diamond...the rest is just.....ugh...

[quote name='honzoh']Ugh, awfulness:)

Dante's Peak
Jarhead
Italian Job
Spy Game
Blood Diamond

I already own Spy Game and Blood Diamond...the rest is just.....ugh...[/quote]

Dante's Peak and Italian Job weren't bad movies

Dante's Peak
Jarhead
Italian Job
Spy Game
Blood Diamond

I already own Spy Game and Blood Diamond...the rest is just.....ugh...[/quote]

Italian Job was great escapism! Spy Game was excellent too. Haven't seen Blood Diamond-- I would have during Black Friday, but Target was only selling the inferior full-screen edition only for $5 then.

I didn't even know people watched full-screen anymore.

[quote name='Watchman']I didn't even know people watched full-screen anymore.[/QUOTE]

You'd be amazed at how many people still don't understand the ins and outs of widescreen films. There are actually still people out there who think that pan-and-scan fullscreen versions of movies are showing them more of the picture, because it fills up their entire 4:3 TV. Ugh.

Dante's Peak
Jarhead
Italian Job
Spy Game
Blood Diamond

I already own Spy Game and Blood Diamond...the rest is just.....ugh...[/QUOTE]

Jarhead and Italian job aren't that bad.......just my 2 cents :D
I love those two movies ....

Were the movies the same genres you'd chosen? My choices were heavy on the craptastic sci fi side; if they substitute a bunch of craptastic non sci fi action movies I'll likely never watch them...

Not to be a prick, but as it's already pointed out, they can and will sub. titles.

What exactly do class action lawsuits really gain anybody anyway? Might as well just start an online petition, it would gain you about as much unfortunately.

Sorry it happened, but people are too OMG teh lawsutz happy.

[quote name='heghei555']Were the movies the same genres you'd chosen? My choices were heavy on the craptastic sci fi side; if they substitute a bunch of craptastic non sci fi action movies I'll likely never watch them...[/QUOTE]

Has nothing to do with the genre, just the company. If you picked Charlie, you will get a Warner sub, if you picked the Thing, you will get a Universal sub.

The only ones who win in a class action lawsuit are the lawyers. Just accept the fact that you picked the wrong side in the high definition wars and move on.

Those are the breaks for early adopters. Sometimes you pick the winner of the format wars, sometimes you don't. Hell, sometimes the better format of the two available doesn't win but the cheaper to produce one does(beta vs. vhs).

Either way, good luck with that lawsuit, but I hope it's dismissed like all frivolous lawsuits should be.

bread's done
Back