Classifying yourself politically?

[quote name='mykevermin'] I have enough sense to see Ram as a moderate, despite the fact that he's maybe said one thing that we both could agree on ever.

[/QUOTE]

in the beer thread maybe :beer:

[quote name='dmaul1114']Exactly.

Conservative and extremely conservative doesn't equal republican. Libertarians should be choosing those options.[/QUOTE]

yeah i agree. its something conservatives harp on a lot in this thread. just because i agree with X policy does not mean i am republican or support them. thats why i was a little surprised to see someone like thrust say that hes libertarian and as such cant select an option.

[quote name='RAMSTORIA']yeah i agree. its something conservatives harp on a lot in this thread. just because i agree with X policy does not mean i am republican or support them. thats why i was a little surprised to see someone like thrust say that hes libertarian and as such cant select an option.[/QUOTE]

Do you remember that South Park episode where the KKK came out in support of the town flag so the town would vote to keep it the same?

Yeah, Sarah Palin is my KKK.

I'm conservative. I think the government plays too big a role in our day to day lives. I don't care if gays can marry legally or not, I don't care if straights can marry legally or not either. I don't think either of those two things should matter in the political realm. I think drugs should be legal, same with cigs and alcohol. I think people need to take more responsibility over their own lives.

[quote name='bvharris']If their disapproval stopped there it would be one thing, but I think we all know that the tea party movement actively hates quite a few more things than just big government.[/QUOTE]
That's why I said that's where my support for the tea party ends.

[quote name='dmaul1114']Libertarians are conservatives in the pure sense of the word.

Just because many associate conservatives with the religious right etc. doesn't mean that's what conservatism is. That's just one set of ideology on the conservative side of the political spectrum. Libertarianism is another ideology on that side of the spectrum.[/quote]
I commend you for being able to make this distinction.

[quote name='IRHari']I assume you're not applying this when it comes to medicine (you're a doctor), right?[/QUOTE]
Strangely, "Treat others as you would be treated" has two interesting facts about it.
1- It's the most basic description of true Anarchy (which a surprising number of people don't understand) - government is pretty much unnecessary once it's practiced by everyone fully.

2-It's basically what Jesus taught.

So yes, folks, Jesus was an Anarchist.

[quote name='thrustbucket'], "Treat others as you would be treated" has two interesting facts about it. [/QUOTE]

That wasn't what was said though, it was treat others as they treat you ,not as you would be treated.

Anyway, unfortunately, the golden rule is a pipe dream as humans are naturally hedonistic/self interested beings who'll maximize pleasure and minimize pain at other's expense in an anarchic system.

[quote name='perdition(troy']I think the government plays too big a role in our day to day lives. I think people need to take more responsibility over their own lives.[/QUOTE]

I agree with that.

[quote name='dmaul1114']That wasn't what was said though, it was treat others as they treat you ,not as you would be treated.

Anyway, unfortunately, the golden rule is a pipe dream as humans are naturally hedonistic/self interested beings who'll maximize pleasure and minimize pain at other's expense in an anarchic system.[/QUOTE]

black_friday.jpg

We don't have social cohesion in the presence of a multilevel state system; it certainly ain't gonna come about organically in its absence.

Something about Anarchists I've always enjoyed: theorizing, for my own enjoyment, what is going to cause them their first moment of unintended panic if they were to ever get the system they wanted.

MAUDE, DO SOMETHING! TEEVEE'S OUT!

[quote name='mykevermin']

Something about Anarchists I've always enjoyed: theorizing, for my own enjoyment, what is going to cause them their first moment of unintended panic if they were to ever get the system they wanted.

[/QUOTE]

Haa haa haa. Well put. :applause:

[quote name='perdition(troy']I'm conservative. I think the government plays too big a role in our day to day lives. I don't care if gays can marry legally or not, I don't care if straights can marry legally or not either. I don't think either of those two things should matter in the political realm. I think drugs should be legal, same with cigs and alcohol. I think people need to take more responsibility over their own lives.[/QUOTE]

YES, I agree!
ESPECIALLY the bold!!

[quote name='IRHari']I assume you're not applying this when it comes to medicine (you're a doctor), right?[/QUOTE]

Overall, this is largely irrelevant.

I spend quite a lot of my time working with uninsured patients who have a multitude of social problems, including incarceration, addiction and homelessness. In most cases, I can get even the most hardened people on my side - all it usually takes is someone who listens and treats them with respect... and that's my default approach to everyone regardless of their background.

I'm extremely conservative, although the Nolan chart has me as a libertarian.

I believe in the Constitution as written, small government, decentralized power, states rights, a return to the gold standard, secure borders and a strong military.

[quote name='Endaar']I'm extremely conservative, although the Nolan chart has me as a libertarian.

I believe in the Constitution as written, small government, decentralized power, states rights, a return to the gold standard, secure borders and a strong military.[/QUOTE]

If we had strong borders we wouldn't have that awesome taco place in Huntington station, I call that a wash.

Hmm, I put down centrist, although it doesn't really fit that well. I would say I'm center-right. I feel strongly about many issues, and depending on the issue I could be in strong agreement with the conservative or liberal point of view. So the poll doesn't really suit me I guess.

[quote name='Feeding the Abscess']When did O'Reilly say he's for legalizing marijuana? Did he do a 180 turn or something?[/QUOTE]

He's stated as much in one of the books he wrote. Can't remember which one.

[quote name='Feeding the Abscess']No, it's "... as you would have them do unto you (or some variance of the phrase)."

[/QUOTE]

I know what the phrase is, was just pointing out that that wasn't what Big T had said. Regardless of how you wanted to phrase it.

He said he was big on treating others as they treated others--not the golden rule.

[quote name='dmaul1114']I know what the phrase is, was just pointing out that that wasn't what Big T had said. Regardless of how you wanted to phrase it.

He said he was big on treating others as they treated others--not the golden rule.[/QUOTE]

That's what I get for skimming.

D'oh.

bread's done
Back