Club Nintendo's 2012 Platinum and Gold Prizes

I personally like the playing cards and will add them to my fallout and fable ones from past collector editions. Free is free. It's not like they have to offer the reward program so take what they give you and stop whining about your FREE stuff not being good enough. Oh and to everyone complaining about this not being a deal you knew it wasn't a deal from the thread title so stop posting just to complain if your time is so precious that you cant take 30 seconds to look at a post (then gripe about having to waste your time which is just wasting more time) get off the site and get back to work. THANKS OP

[quote name='FaintDeftone']The statue they gave us a couple of years ago was fantastic. The past two years (including this one) has been lame though.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. Next years Platinum prize better be worthwhile. They've got to do something decent with the revamping of the coin redemption. Otherwise, this year will be my last supporting the system. I'll just sell off my registration pins.

[quote name='Devulture']...so are the platinum prizes a step down from the Nintendo pins of last year?[/QUOTE]

Last year they had a pin set which was reasonably cool. I still have it. This year I'm only gold. I may have to get a 3DS or Wii code and sell it on eBay.

[quote name='Blaster man']This year I'm only gold. I may have to get a 3DS or Wii code and sell it on eBay.[/QUOTE]

For reals? Just eBay the reward after everyone gets them. It'll probably be the same or cheaper considering the eBay + Paypal fees for selling a 3DS or Wii.

[quote name='zohar']For reals? Just eBay the reward after everyone gets them. It'll probably be the same or cheaper considering the eBay + Paypal fees for selling a 3DS or Wii.[/QUOTE]

I'm stupid. I don't understand what you wrote. Did you just tell me to eBay a deck of cards instead of a download code?

I find it funny people get offended when others complain about free stuff. Sure it's free, but you had to spend a LOT of money to earn the prizes...and on top of that you had to spend your personal time (yes, not much but still) filling out surveys to even get the points. Plus, just because they are "free" prizes doesn't give them an excuse to make them terrible. It's not like "oh, you only gave me $10?" It's more like "oh...you gave me 1/3 of a ripped $10 bill...uh, thanks..."

That being said the prizes are pretty bad. Even if somebody did play cards a lot who in their right mind would trust their friends to not ruin these? I know I sure as hell wouldn't... That's why I always thought the idea of collectors edition cards to be pretty dumb in the first place.

What's worse is that NORMAL prizes on their website are just as good as these. They always offer tons of posters and they have both old school artwork cards as well as Animal Crossing playing cards.

Personally I was hoping for something unique that I could actually display but oh well...as some have said "free is free".

[quote name='JKSonic']I find it funny people get offended when others complain about free stuff. Sure it's free, but you had to spend a LOT of money to earn the prizes...and on top of that you had to spend your personal time (yes, not much but still) filling out surveys to even get the points. Plus, just because they are "free" prizes doesn't give them an excuse to make them terrible. It's not like "oh, you only gave me $10?" It's more like "oh...you gave me 1/3 of a ripped $10 bill...uh, thanks..."

That being said the prizes are pretty bad. Even if somebody did play cards a lot who in their right mind would trust their friends to not ruin these? I know I sure as hell wouldn't... That's why I always thought the idea of collectors edition cards to be pretty dumb in the first place.

What's worse is that NORMAL prizes on their website are just as good as these. They always offer tons of posters and they have both old school artwork cards as well as Animal Crossing playing cards.

Personally I was hoping for something unique that I could actually display but oh well...as some have said "free is free".[/QUOTE]

This.

While I am turned off by the prizes and not thrilled, I wouldn't be surprised if the poor prizes was due to how easy platinum was to get. As I posted during the 3DS price drop, it was possible to get a 160 3DS in time for the ambassador games. Those were worth 200 and 160 for the 3DS. Thats 360 before buying a single game... Needless to say this years platinum was probably much higher than others.

First year of Platinum since they started the US CN in 2008/9...the cards look sweet, don't really understand what everyone's whining about.

Random CN question: is the grabber-hand-thingamabob game download worth it? None of the other coin rewards really do anything for me.

I am guessing the Club Nintendo site is currently bugged? I only have two options for redemption, the cards (which show a picture of last years pins), and the calander. Not seeing the posters or downloadable games.

[quote name='GaveUpTomorrow']I am guessing the Club Nintendo site is currently bugged? I only have two options for redemption, the cards (which show a picture of last years pins), and the calander. Not seeing the posters or downloadable games.[/QUOTE]

Me too. I'm going to check again later. Think I'd rather go for the posters.

[quote name='GaveUpTomorrow']I am guessing the Club Nintendo site is currently bugged? I only have two options for redemption, the cards (which show a picture of last years pins), and the calander. Not seeing the posters or downloadable games.[/QUOTE]

Same here, waiting for it to get sorted out. The calendar pic looks old too.

Uggh, North America got screwed again. Playing cards. Seriously? Guess Nintendo had to make up that operating loss of nearly half a billion dollars somewhere.

EDIT: now I see I'm not the only one

Why don't I have the option for the Posters? or DL games? My only options are: platinum: cards, and Gold: calandar

I'm starting to think what IGN saw was a bug, or some early bird special, since the site even now says "select one of the two"

[quote name='6er']I'm starting to think what IGN saw was a bug, or some early bird special, since the site even now says "select one of the two"[/QUOTE]

Mine says:

Congrats! Choose your free Platinum gift.

Thank you for your feedback and loyalty. Please choose any one of the FREE gifts below. You have until July 31st, 2012 to redeem your gift, so act now.

Thanks for the post, OP. I didn't think I was qualified for any of these deals but it turns out I'm able to choose one of the Gold-only prizes. Definitely going to pass on the calendar for a game. Just not sure if I should go with Mario VS DK or Metroid II.

[quote name='slowdive21']Mine says:

Congrats! Choose your free Platinum gift.

Thank you for your feedback and loyalty. Please choose any one of the FREE gifts below. You have until July 31st, 2012 to redeem your gift, so act now.[/QUOTE]\

USE FIREFOX

Chrome is not showing all the items. I have no idea why, as it isnt cookies as I wasnt using Chrome last year, nor have I selected a prize before.

[quote name='irishsoccermbw']what a fucking joke NoA[/QUOTE]

Yeah, it isn't worth taking the surveys for this shit. The statue was decent, but the hat, buttons and now a deck of cards - holy hell could it be any worse next year?

[quote name='onikage']Yeah, it isn't worth taking the surveys for this shit. The statue was decent, but the hat, buttons and now a deck of cards - holy hell could it be any worse next year?[/QUOTE]

They could give out transcripts of this thread stained with your tears.

I scrambled to make platinum this year for this crap? I'd feel slightly better if it was a bundle of crap, but as it is now we only get to choose one of the rewards. Terribad. Oh well free is free. Leaning towards the cards.

[quote name='6er']\

USE FIREFOX

Chrome is not showing all the items. I have no idea why, as it isnt cookies as I wasnt using Chrome last year, nor have I selected a prize before.[/QUOTE]

Firefox doesn't work for me. Cleared cookies, history, etc...still no go. Using latest beta version. Switched to Internet Explorer and everything loaded up properly. Not sure what is going on with the the CN site.

wow what crap rewards. The statue was by far the best one to date. The hat was ok but the buttons last year and now playing cards really disappoint.

I got the cards.
I'm gonna ebay that crap.
I'm pretty sure a nintendo fanboy will give me at least $50

Hope they send me two like they did last year with the buttons.

[quote name='GaveUpTomorrow']Firefox doesn't work for me. Cleared cookies, history, etc...still no go. Using latest beta version. Switched to Internet Explorer and everything loaded up properly. Not sure what is going on with the the CN site.[/QUOTE]
clearing the cache helped me

[quote name='sevendayrevolution']My guess is they are offering these types of things to save on shipping. I got the statue from a couple of years ago, mailing those out to everyone couldn't have been cheap.[/QUOTE]

true, but it was a sweet item to get (glad I got one) and the platinum the year before didn't even have to be shipped any further than your email address (doc vs mac punchout! demo). So they can get away with this, this year but they better come correct next july!

[quote name='mastagoalie']true, but it was a sweet item to get (glad I got one) and the platinum the year before didn't even have to be shipped any further than your email address (doc vs mac punchout! demo). So they can get away with this, this year but they better come correct next july![/QUOTE]

There was also the mario hat that year which needed to be shipped.

The shipping excuses are lame and just that...excuses. They could even just charge half of shipping to people (and advertise it as such, so people knew) and I'm sure everybody would be fine with it if it was a cool prize.

You know everyone...

Nintendo doesn't have to offer anything to you at all for buying their stuff. I think it's awesome that they offer any kind of prizes at all for buying games you were going to buy anyway. I don't really see other companies do that (unless you all want to count UPlay?! Yay!) so maybe drop the complainy-entitled-little-brat routine?

"Oh it's just crappy cards...going to ebay *cry cry cry*" shut it.

If your reply is that you buy Nintendo games just for their prizes at club nintendo, then I think it's time to reevaluate your life...

[quote name='Glomerate']You know everyone...

Nintendo doesn't have to offer anything to you at all for buying their stuff. I think it's awesome that they offer any kind of prizes at all for buying games you were going to buy anyway. I don't really see other companies do that (unless you all want to count UPlay?! Yay!) so maybe drop the complainy-entitled-little-brat routine?

"Oh it's just crappy cards...going to ebay *cry cry cry*" shut it.

If your reply is that you buy Nintendo games just for their prizes at club nintendo, then I think it's time to reevaluate your life...[/QUOTE]

Tons of people have come in with your attitude and it just doesn't hold up...or really make much sense. For one, you need to spend time doing the surveys to get even get points. Generally the only time I do surveys online is if I'm getting paid in some way (like on e-rewards) and I'd estimate about the amount of survey time you spend getting these rewards is easily the equivalent of about a $50 reward from most survey sites.

So right there that whole idea is already debunked as "free" is kind of a relative term. But to take it further it's still a reward. It's NOT a bonus, a bonus is something extra you don't really expect and it's free...so as a reward it should definitely be something special.

Lastly, I think the bigger issue this sheds light on here is the fact that as usual Nintendo misjudged it's US market. They do this on a regular nearly day to day basis... The rewards, the prizes you can redeem for, and most importantly which games they localize and which games they don't...

The posters are solid, but I don't hang them anyway. Probably like other posters, I'm going cards because they take up much less room. However, as stated, these rewards are crap compared to previous years (especially considering they lost my statue last year). "Free" is still free and I'll gladly add them to my swag heap, but I would've liked something cooler like the statue or hat in previous years. Thanks for the post, though, it reminded me to check out the Club Nintendo site.

So much complaining. I remember on the NES all the way up to the Gamecube, we just bought Nintendo games to play them and we didn't get anything extra. Let's go back to that...

Also the Platinum and Gold prizes are free. It doesn't cost you your points. You're still free to spend those 300 or 600 points on other prizes offered up.

[quote name='JKSonic']Tons of people have come in with your attitude and it just doesn't hold up...or really make much sense. For one, you need to spend time doing the surveys to get even get points. Generally the only time I do surveys online is if I'm getting paid in some way (like on e-rewards) and I'd estimate about the amount of survey time you spend getting these rewards is easily the equivalent of about a $50 reward from most survey sites.

So right there that whole idea is already debunked as "free" is kind of a relative term. But to take it further it's still a reward. It's NOT a bonus, a bonus is something extra you don't really expect and it's free...so as a reward it should definitely be something special.

Lastly, I think the bigger issue this sheds light on here is the fact that as usual Nintendo misjudged it's US market. They do this on a regular nearly day to day basis... The rewards, the prizes you can redeem for, and most importantly which games they localize and which games they don't...[/QUOTE]

Oh c'mon, like anyone here is really filling out those surveys with any kind of reverence.

-What did you like most about the game?
"Mario"

-What did you dislike about the game?
"Nothing"

Those are the typical answers I'm sure everyone gives and that would in turn take 30 seconds to do for the whole survey. It's taking me more time to reply, which honestly, I think I should reevaluate MY life now... :cool:

Regardless, you aren't doing surveys just for these annual prizes, you're doing them for the coins so you can buy free games for the wii or 3ds or get a washcloth or what-the-hell-ever other useless item you want.

So, if you want to bitch about putting in your codes and there being nothing to pick from with the coins (which is untrue because collectors can get game and watch games and other mario paraphernalia) go for it but then stop wasting your time putting in codes! Because then you're wasting your time enough to make it to platinum just to bitch about the annual prizes...

Complaining at Nintendo because they offer you a bonus prize on top of the bonus prizes you can order just for being a loyal customer is asinine. It's like going to the carnival and winning but getting the finger trap when you wanted the huge stuffed bear. why are you playing the carnival game anyway!? You know what happens!!

bread's done
Back