Club Nintendo's 2012 Platinum and Gold Prizes

[quote name='MiraiLink']So much complaining. I remember on the NES all the way up to the Gamecube, we just bought Nintendo games to play them and we didn't get anything extra. Let's go back to that...

Also the Platinum and Gold prizes are free. It doesn't cost you your points. You're still free to spend those 300 or 600 points on other prizes offered up.[/QUOTE]

Thank you!

[quote name='Glomerate']Oh c'mon, like anyone here is really filling out those surveys with any kind of reverence.

-What did you like most about the game?
"Mario"

-What did you dislike about the game?
"Nothing"

Those are the typical answers I'm sure everyone gives and that would in turn take 30 seconds to do for the whole survey. It's taking me more time to reply, which honestly, I think I should reevaluate MY life now... :cool:

Regardless, you aren't doing surveys just for these annual prizes, you're doing them for the coins so you can buy free games for the wii or 3ds or get a washcloth or what-the-hell-ever other useless item you want.

So, if you want to bitch about putting in your codes and there being nothing to pick from with the coins (which is untrue because collectors can get game and watch games and other mario paraphernalia) go for it but then stop wasting your time putting in codes! Because then you're wasting your time enough to make it to platinum just to bitch about the annual prizes...

Complaining at Nintendo because they offer you a bonus prize on top of the bonus prizes you can order just for being a loyal customer is asinine. It's like going to the carnival and winning but getting the finger trap when you wanted the huge stuffed bear. why are you playing the carnival game anyway!? You know what happens!![/QUOTE]

I'm more or less with you (although I probably would've chosen my words a little more nicely). I actually take the time to give 'em thoughtful feedback in their surveys and it doesn't take me more than a minute or two at most for each one. If someone is actually making fifty bucks cash from a survey site for ~25 minutes' worth of work, I want in. Now.

And me, being the Legend of Zelda fan that I am, picked the posters (which I will promptly frame and debate on where to hang for a few hours). A deck of cards would be thrown in my closet and forgotten (much like the pins of last year), whereas I actually have something I can admire and show off this time.

I was hoping there'd be something a little more Zelda-centric this year thanks to it being its 25th anniversary, but at least there's something that's not Mario-related this time around.

Playing Cards for me. The posters weren't even listed, but I probably would have chose the cards anyways since I don't hang up posters.

[quote name='EdgeCrusher36']I think the Nintendo defenders are way more mad in this thread than the people that got ripped on a crappy reward this year. Way to go.[/QUOTE]

rawrr!!!

I'm at Platinum and can't decide what to get. I want something exclusive, so the games are out. First thought was the cards, but the design kinda sucks. Maybe the posters, but I don't really like any of them except for the Luigi's Mansion one. Might just get the calendar.

I for one don't mind so much as this stuff is for free but I think the main point a lot of upset people are making is why we can't get the same caliber of rewards has Japan? While we have received a few things they got in the past, we have been shafted this year compared to the other Club Nintendo rewards Japan has received. I still wish they would bring over the Super Famicom Wii Classic controller Japan got a few years back. It wouldn't even mater if they didn't change it to SNES style.

[quote name='Glomerate']Oh c'mon, like anyone here is really filling out those surveys with any kind of reverence.

-What did you like most about the game?
"Mario"

-What did you dislike about the game?
"Nothing"

Those are the typical answers I'm sure everyone gives and that would in turn take 30 seconds to do for the whole survey. It's taking me more time to reply, which honestly, I think I should reevaluate MY life now... :cool:

Regardless, you aren't doing surveys just for these annual prizes, you're doing them for the coins so you can buy free games for the wii or 3ds or get a washcloth or what-the-hell-ever other useless item you want.

So, if you want to bitch about putting in your codes and there being nothing to pick from with the coins (which is untrue because collectors can get game and watch games and other mario paraphernalia) go for it but then stop wasting your time putting in codes! Because then you're wasting your time enough to make it to platinum just to bitch about the annual prizes...

Complaining at Nintendo because they offer you a bonus prize on top of the bonus prizes you can order just for being a loyal customer is asinine. It's like going to the carnival and winning but getting the finger trap when you wanted the huge stuffed bear. why are you playing the carnival game anyway!? You know what happens!![/QUOTE]

I actually try and give them thought though so... Even if it only takes a few mins per survey I'd still say I EASILY complete well over 30 surveys so lets say 60min easily and maybe more. Even now I have 10 surveys waiting for me so for sure it was way over 30 since it's generally two surveys per game...

Still, you go ahead and keep your attitude, you're the same type of person who will keep getting passed over for promotions because you at least still have a job even though you know you deserve better. This the internet, people complain, so if you haven't realized that yet you look like more of a fool than the people complaining.

My point is only it's a special reward which I earn by buying things I'd already buy anyway and then spending a good hour or so on the total amount of surveys I had to do (and yes, I'd say about an hour to two hours on e-rewards gets me $50 depending on the surveys I take)... Being that, and being a geeky adult I'd far just prefer something fun to display and not useless cards that even if I played cards I'd never use.

Grabbed the cards, since I think the posters are kinda hideous. I was actually tempted by the Metroid 2 download, though, since I can't see myself actually using a deck of fancy playing cards... But I figured I could sell them for more than the $4 it would cost to buy it on the eShop if it came down to it. Hahahahaha

This is my first year on Club Nintendo, and while it looks like these prizes are a little lamer than the ones they sent out in years past, it doesn't really seem like something to get up in arms about either way.

[quote name='JKSonic']I actually try and give them thought though so... Even if it only takes a few mins per survey I'd still say I EASILY complete well over 30 surveys so lets say 60min easily and maybe more. Even now I have 10 surveys waiting for me so for sure it was way over 30 since it's generally two surveys per game...

Still, you go ahead and keep your attitude, you're the same type of person who will keep getting passed over for promotions because you at least still have a job even though you know you deserve better. This the internet, people complain, so if you haven't realized that yet you look like more of a fool than the people complaining.

My point is only it's a special reward which I earn by buying things I'd already buy anyway and then spending a good hour or so on the total amount of surveys I had to do (and yes, I'd say about an hour to two hours on e-rewards gets me $50 depending on the surveys I take)... Being that, and being a geeky adult I'd far just prefer something fun to display and not useless cards that even if I played cards I'd never use.[/QUOTE]

To be honest, you don't need to do that many surveys to reach Platinum status (because you're also getting 20-60 coins for simply registering each of your games), and as someone pointed out, Platinum is a bonus on top of the coins you get to "buy" other rewards.

Also, you must be getting the best, fastest surveys in the world to be getting $50 in e-rewards currency every hour. I'm going to assume that's an exaggeration - and $50 in e-rewards is also not truly $50, but roughly ~$16.66 for most rewards you can redeem on their site.

I went ahead and took super Mario kart and downloaded it to my wii since I didn't have that yet. I was going to eBay a game but I guess having it myself (even though I will never use it) is sort of satisffying. Plus it will probably transfer to the Wii U which is nice.

Really bummed they didn't offer something new in regards to VC downloads. Still though, despite already owning the Zelda's Collector's disc on the GC, selected the Majora's Mask download ticket.

Anyone know how long it lasts? I have no need for it and will probably end up giving it away if I can't find someone willing to trade for it.

Am I the only one who found it interesting they did a Skyward Sword poster? They already had two 3DS games in the set, seems like it would have been more fitting to include a third. Maybe I'm just disappointed I'm not getting a Fire Emblem or Starfox poster.

I'm still going to enjoy the posters. Really happy that they made one for Luigi's Mansion.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm sorry. It's hard to hear anyone over the overbearing attitudes of entitlement. I guess some of us are just happy to get something for free.

Well, I didn't know about any of this and since I only redeemed all my Nintendo purchases this year I qualify. Got Super Mario Kart VC out of the deal. Thanks!

[quote name='JKSonic']Tons of people have come in with your attitude and it just doesn't hold up...or really make much sense. For one, you need to spend time doing the surveys to get even get points. Generally the only time I do surveys online is if I'm getting paid in some way (like on e-rewards) and I'd estimate about the amount of survey time you spend getting these rewards is easily the equivalent of about a $50 reward from most survey sites.

So right there that whole idea is already debunked as "free" is kind of a relative term. But to take it further it's still a reward. It's NOT a bonus, a bonus is something extra you don't really expect and it's free...so as a reward it should definitely be something special.

Lastly, I think the bigger issue this sheds light on here is the fact that as usual Nintendo misjudged it's US market. They do this on a regular nearly day to day basis... The rewards, the prizes you can redeem for, and most importantly which games they localize and which games they don't...[/QUOTE]
You get coins in response to surveys. You can spend those coins on items not sold in stores. Those items are shipped to you free of charge. The Gold or Platinum status is above and extra to the coins. Your argument doesn't necessarily fit.

Went in for the posters, I was really torn on getting the cards but I already own some Duke Nukem Balls of Steel cards and I never really see myself using them. Though on the other hand I still got zelda posters that need to be framed.

[quote name='choral_music']I'm sorry. It's hard to hear anyone over the overbearing attitudes of entitlement. I guess some of us are just happy to get something for free.[/QUOTE]
It's not free.

Do you think these are free?
You were grossly misinformed.

[quote name='Jaysonguy']It's not free.

Do you think these are free?
You were grossly misinformed.[/QUOTE]
You're paying extra for the posters, cards or calendar? I'm so sorry to hear that! I certainly didn't!

[quote name='choral_music']You're paying extra for the posters, cards or calendar? I'm so sorry to hear that! I certainly didn't![/QUOTE]
Part of the price they charge for the game goes towards this, this is the "value" of getting a new copy.

Also every single thing you need to register takes time to do a survey for them.

You're going to want to learn what's going on with this program before you discuss it more.

[quote name='Jaysonguy']Part of the price they charge for the game goes towards this, this is the "value" of getting a new copy.

Also every single thing you need to register takes time to do a survey for them.

You're going to want to learn what's going on with this program before you discuss it more.[/QUOTE]

Yes, because Nintendo jacked up game prices when CN started and I'm sure your time is so valuable that you wouldn't waste it on the web without substantial compensation...o wait

I sat by long enough, whatever your argument is, there is no denying that this years "gifts" are absolutely terrible compared to the years before. This is my first year doing the program and I am very disappointed in what they are offering. I will not be spending my time doing the surveys next year or paying a little extra for new games to get the point cards. Lesson learned, no harm done.

[quote name='DaShaka']I sat by long enough, whatever your argument is, there is no denying that this years "gifts" are absolutely terrible compared to the years before. This is my first year doing the program and I am very disappointed in what they are offering. I will not be spending my time doing the surveys next year or paying a little extra for new games to get the point cards. Lesson learned, no harm done.[/QUOTE]

Because the codes are only good for the end-of-year gift and not an entire redemption section on the website...o wait

[quote name='Jaysonguy']Part of the price they charge for the game goes towards this, this is the "value" of getting a new copy.

You're going to want to learn what's going on with this program before you discuss it more.[/QUOTE]

a) Nope, it isn't, as third-party titles are also included in these promotions.

b) Don't do it, then. It's not necessary, nor does it affect the inherent entertainment value of the product. It's not like an online pass.

c) This is my 4th year participating in this optional rewards program. I understand it very well. It is optional. And extra.

I won't say that this year's rewards are the best, but I didn't expect them to be. Nintendo had a very rough financial year. It's okay to be upset with the quality of the rewards, but remember that these are extra, above and beyond the original products, being shipped to you at no additional cost to you.

Grow up, people.

So where does that money go when I buy a 360 game?

Sony and Microsoft don't offer the same things.

If Nintendo games are cheaper, AND they give you these kinds of extras for buying them new, whats to hate about it? Their competitors don't do it, but somehow Nintendo is the bad guy for actually giving you something?

[quote name='DaShaka']I sat by long enough, whatever your argument is, there is no denying that this years "gifts" are absolutely terrible compared to the years before. This is my first year doing the program and I am very disappointed in what they are offering. I will not be spending my time doing the surveys next year or paying a little extra for new games to get the point cards. Lesson learned, no harm done.[/QUOTE]

Not like those 600+ coins you got to be a Platinum member can be used to get anything... oh wait! you can get 2 games for FREE right now with those coins, and still have 350+ to get something else! Or even save them up to get a better reward from the catalog!

[quote name='DarkPGR']Sony and Microsoft don't offer the same things.

If Nintendo games are cheaper, AND they give you these kinds of extras for buying them new, whats to hate about it? Their competitors don't do it, but somehow Nintendo is the bad guy for actually giving you something?[/QUOTE]

I got a free copy of uncharted 3 and lbp2 from Sony this year.

Lmfao at all the people bitching that they don't haz a pillow. Next year, with the Wii U and 3DSXL coming out, there will be a metric ass ton of people reaching platinum and due to that the reward will likely be far lesser than these cards and posters. I can't wait to read what people say.

"WHAT? I wasted all that time and money reaching platinum for this Yoshi lithograph?!?! HHHHHHATE!"

Lame.
I regret not going platinum the year the statue was the prize. Went platinum last year in hopes of something awesome, but got the pins. Was hoping this year would be better......

I know people say that we have no right to complain since its free.....

but still, why set the bar high in other regions and in NA with the statue.

[quote name='Gosha']I got a free copy of uncharted 3 and lbp2 from Sony this year.[/QUOTE]

I don't remember hearing about this promotion. What was it for?

and here i was hoping to get the pillow japan got.

I could buy custom playing cards from madcow with my own designs and saved alot of money on nintendo products.

[quote name='Kendro']Anyone know how much the calendar usually goes for on eBay? I don't really have any interest in keeping it.[/QUOTE]

Since these prizes usually amount to being undesireable junk swag, eBay ends up flooded with them. Last years platinum gift, the button set, can be had for less than 10 dollars brand new. You might be able to sell your calander for a dollar or two, but it would cost you that much just to ship it.

I wonder how many people who get the calendar realize it's pretty much postcard-sized and not a "true" one. I still have one from a few years back still floating around here somewhere that I never used, and I doubt it's worth the paper it's printed on even now.

I agree completely that Nintendo didn't have to do this program, and it's nice that we are all getting this free stuff, in addition to the coins we get to spend. That being said, I still can't help but feel disappointed with the offers.

When I saw that statue a couple years back, I thought it would be a good idea to save my coins until I had enough to go plat...I didn't know what to expect this year, but I guess I was just hoping for more than a paper product.

Ah, it's about time the complainers from years' past showed up. All I've seen is, "OMG these prizes stink compared to the past few years!!11! Nintendo is teh suxorz!". When just last year everyone was like, "WTF Nintendo, I don't want lame ass pins!", and before that it was, "A freaking statue? What am I supposed to do with that? I'm just getting the calendar, fuck you Nintendo".

It's like a never ending cycle with you guys and you can't be pleased... It's freaking free! Microsoft doesn't do this. Sony did some things this year but it required jumping through a lot more hoops. If you don't want posters/pins/random swag, don't use the program. Sell your codes to someone like Strell(or me :) ) who enjoys the Ninty swag. No one is twisting your arm making you fill out surveys and earn things above and beyond what you paid for.

As for me, I will take the posters. I like the way the the Skyward Sword on looks(the other ones from this year are awesome) and I LOVED Kid Icarus: Uprising. Also, I'm very much looking forward to Luigi's Mansion 2, so win-win-win for me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Can't decide between the posters or the cards. cards are easier to store and easier to keep undamaged...Posters could be damaged by Nintendo when putting them into the tube. hmmmmm

[quote name='Mixer236']Ah, it's about time the complainers from years' past showed up. All I've seen is, "OMG these prizes stink compared to the past few years!!11! Nintendo is teh suxorz!". When just last year everyone was like, "WTF Nintendo, I don't want lame ass pins!", and before that is was, "A freaking statue? What am I supposed to do with that? I'm just getting the calendar, fuck you Nintendo".

It's like a never ending cycle with you guys and you can't be pleased... It's freaking free! Microsoft doesn't do this. Sony did some things this year but it required jumping through a lot more hoops. If you don't want posters/pins/random swag, don't use the program. Sell your codes to someone like Strell(or me :) ) who enjoys the Ninty swag. No one is twisting your arm making you fill out surveys and earn things above and beyond what you paid for.

As for me, I will take the posters. I like the way the the Skyward Sword on looks(the other ones from this year are awesome) and I LOVED Kid Icarus: Uprising. Also, I'm very much looking forward to Luigi's Mansion 2, so win-win-win for me.[/QUOTE]

People have every right to be angry, I personally feel that Nintendo seems to act like they don't give a shit about it's fan base in the US. The prices given in Japan are astronomically better compared to the ones they give out here. I think the best prizes we have had was the Mario statue (which was cool in my opinion) and Game & Watch: Ball which was overpriced to begin with.

Why shouldn't people be getting angry? Sure, we are getting rewarded by our purchases but those surveys that we do is nothing but marketing research for Nintendo. The one thing I do like about this years platinum rewards is the quantity of items you can choose from but the thing I dislike is that they are not unique in anyway. They don't have any items that haven't already been through the rewards program service already in some form or another.

Is it a little too much to ask for a Super Nintendo Fashioned Classic Controller, Gold Wii Nunchuck, a really cool Mario pillow. Pretty please? I've imported a lot of these things which in essence now that I think about is probably cheaper in the long run.

[quote name='skiizim']People have every right to be angry, I personally feel that Nintendo seems to act like they don't give a shit about it's fan base in the US. The prices given in Japan are astronomically better compared to the ones they give out here. I think the best prizes we have had was the Mario statue (which was cool in my opinion) and Game & Watch: Ball which was overpriced to begin with.

Why shouldn't people be getting angry? Sure, we are getting rewarded by our purchases but those surveys that we do is nothing but marketing research for Nintendo. The one thing I do like about this years platinum rewards is the quantity of items you can choose from but the thing I dislike is that they are not unique in anyway. They don't have any items that haven't already been through the rewards program service already in some form or another.

Is it a little too much to ask for a Super Nintendo Fashioned Classic Controller, Gold Wii Nunchuck, a really cool Mario pillow. Pretty please? I've imported a lot of these things which in essence now that I think about is probably cheaper in the long run.[/QUOTE]

Well, for one, the surveys take little to no time at all. In fact, you can get through them in about ten seconds if you don't feel like answering everything correctly... Secondly, it's still free. I think everything brought up before has gone into why we have these "lackluster"(I'm fine with them) prizes. Lots of people reached platinum pretty easily this year(Selects being bargain-priced, 3DS launch purchasers + Ambassador games, and lots of Wii games finally getting price drops across the board likely due to hardware sales slumping quite a bit), Nintendo having a bad year financially, and America being a much larger territory than that of the UK & Japan. Should we get better prizes? Probably. But I don't care if Japan is giving away golden bricks, free is free. Crying about something that is free just because you want more and "it isn't fair" is really stupid and pretty childish. Life isn't fair - deal.

[quote name='Mixer236']Well, for one, the surveys take little to no time at all. In fact, you can get through them in about ten seconds if you don't feel like answering everything correctly... Secondly, it's still free. I think everything brought up before has gone into why we have these "lackluster"(I'm fine with them) prizes. Lots of people reached platinum pretty easily this year(Selects being bargain-priced, 3DS launch purchasers + Ambassador games, and lots of Wii games finally getting price drops across the board likely due to hardware sales slumping quite a bit), Nintendo having a bad year financially, and America being a much larger territory than that of the UK & Japan. Should we get better prizes? Probably. But I don't care if Japan is giving away golden bricks, free is free. Crying about something that is free just because you want more and "it isn't fair" is really stupid and pretty childish. Life isn't fair - deal.[/QUOTE]

Time is not free. I've registered a good hundred games, doing the pre and post play survey. I could estimate around 3 hours or so of actually sitting down filling out surveys on their site, and for what, a $2 deck of cards? I'd rather pay the $5 shipped for the massively produced 'collectanle'than waste my time.

And then they have the nerve to let you choose one prize, even if you're above and beyond platinum? You should get everything just like with Square-Enix.

[quote name='Mixer236']Microsoft doesn't do this.[/QUOTE]

Yes they did. It was called Yaris and it was terrible.

[quote name='Nohbdy']Yes they did. It was called Yaris and it was terrible.[/QUOTE]

Don't forget those free Doritos chips games.

bread's done
Back