Club Nintendo's 2012 Platinum and Gold Prizes

Meh ordered the cards since they are smaller and easy to store in whatever box I toss them in as soon as I get them. Might just wait until I get them and put them together the pins I got last year up on ebay for whatever I can get for them which I expect is maybe 5 bucks if I'm lucky.

[quote name='Romeo']Time is not free. I've registered a good hundred games, doing the pre and post play survey. I could estimate around 3 hours or so of actually sitting down filling out surveys on their site, and for what, a $2 deck of cards? I'd rather pay the $5 shipped for the massively produced 'collectanle'than waste my time.

And then they have the nerve to let you choose one prize, even if you're above and beyond platinum? You should get everything just like with Square-Enix.[/QUOTE]

100 games?? No wonder you're so upset! No one must've told you that you only need 15-20 games to reach platinum! If only Nintendo would issue you some sort of currency for all of those extra surveys that you can then spend in some sort of online store...

i would have loved an "HD" (lol) pack of retro games like the zelda GC bundle i got when gamecube was still a thing. ahhh good times. i still have it somewhere i think :/

[quote name='Mixer236']Ah, it's about time the complainers from years' past showed up. All I've seen is, "OMG these prizes stink compared to the past few years!!11! Nintendo is teh suxorz!". When just last year everyone was like, "WTF Nintendo, I don't want lame ass pins!", and before that is was, "A freaking statue? What am I supposed to do with that? I'm just getting the calendar, fuck you Nintendo".
[/QUOTE]

Haha so true!

------------------------

I picked the cards because I have so many posters and so little wall space.

Think it could be because of all the promotion they're giving club nintendo, there's a video on the eShop talking about it and I'm sure a bunch of people who've never heard of it are starting to get into it, guess this means as more people join the less awesome the Platinum rewards will get.

So which item will be more expensive on e-bay when all is said and done? I'm in the (apparently) rare group that likes both platinum prizes. What I'd love to do is order for free the one that will be worth more later on, and then simply buy the cheaper one.

I'm guessing the posters would be more expensive to keep nice and ship out...but I'm really not sure. Any thoughts here guys?

[quote name='Romeo']Time is not free. I've registered a good hundred games, doing the pre and post play survey. I could estimate around 3 hours or so of actually sitting down filling out surveys on their site, and for what, a $2 deck of cards? I'd rather pay the $5 shipped for the massively produced 'collectanle'than waste my time.

And then they have the nerve to let you choose one prize, even if you're above and beyond platinum? You should get everything just like with Square-Enix.[/QUOTE]

I'm going to guess that you've registered all of those games over the years, and not all in one go. Even if you've done that in the past 3 years(3 years + 1 hour per year), you're really going to complain over a whole hour used up in an entire year? Really? Okay then, an hour a year at minimum wage is around $8. By the time they make your reward and ship it out to you, the cost of that is pretty much in the ballpark of that number... SO there, the platinum reward pays you back for your sweet, precious time. Plus, it's not like you're doing it only for platinum status, the main intended reason(as I'm sure anyone would agree) is to register to get coins to redeem for various Nintendo swag. The Platinum reward is an extra, extra added bonus as a thanks on top of being able to get the regular rewards.

As for Squeenix's structure, they make it pretty much impossible to reach platinum unless you buy everything they've got on the market. And lets be honest here, on average, Nintendo's games are generally far better than what SE puts out these days... That in itself is a nice enough reward.

[quote name='SW4J']So which item will be more expensive on e-bay when all is said and done? I'm in the (apparently) rare group that likes both platinum prizes. What I'd love to do is order for free the one that will be worth more later on, and then simply buy the cheaper one.

I'm guessing the posters would be more expensive to keep nice and ship out...but I'm really not sure. Any thoughts here guys?[/QUOTE]

You could probably make a deal with someone on here to get their platinum item, and order the other for yourself. Cards would also be cheaper to ship.

For those who are complaining, think of it like this.

As of now, this program is what Nintendo gives us as an incentive to buy new. You already got your reward as it is (the points in general), and this is just gravy. Nintendo could make you enter an online pass to unlock levels 6 and up in Mario like other companies, but they have not went that route and chose a reward as an alternative.

Would have preferred a larger selection of VC titles that weren't previously monthly rewards. But don't see the sense in complaining about a voluntary, free rewards program.

[quote name='choral_music']If someone here wants to sell their platinum and/or gold reward, I'll buy. I kinda want them all.[/QUOTE]

How much are you paying? I have cards on the way... in December.

[quote name='Mixer236']You could probably make a deal with someone on here to get their platinum item, and order the other for yourself. Cards would also be cheaper to ship.[/QUOTE]

It would be great if someone could help me out, but from what I've seen it looks like people are having some unrealistic expectations of what these will be going for, so I'm not sure if I should wait it out a bit until December. The pins are going for dirt cheap and I'd imagine these will be as well, especially given how the number of platinums will be much greater this year as pretty much every 3DS ambassador was more or less handed platinum.

If anyone here feels like helping me out with this I'd appreciate it though!

Somebody complaining about the rewards: Send me a PM with how much you want for the cards. I want both the cards and the poster set, and, I can only order one myself.

[quote name='Mixer236']I'm going to guess that you've registered all of those games over the years, and not all in one go. Even if you've done that in the past 3 years(3 years + 1 hour per year), you're really going to complain over a whole hour used up in an entire year? Really? Okay then, an hour a year at minimum wage is around $8. By the time they make your reward and ship it out to you, the cost of that is pretty much in the ballpark of that number... SO there, the platinum reward pays you back for your sweet, precious time. Plus, it's not like you're doing it only for platinum status, the main intended reason(as I'm sure anyone would agree) is to register to get coins to redeem for various Nintendo swag. The Platinum reward is an extra, extra added bonus as a thanks on top of being able to get the regular rewards.

As for Squeenix's structure, they make it pretty much impossible to reach platinum unless you buy everything they've got on the market. And lets be honest here, on average, Nintendo's games are generally far better than what SE puts out these days... That in itself is a nice enough reward.[/QUOTE]

I hear ya. Did you see my prior post though regarding the program in the US? It's a joke compared to CN Japan. It costs $350 USD to get a 10in by 10in washcloth here in the US, yet in Japan a gold controller would cost even less!

Regarding the SE comparison, I'm more referring to the top status getting all rewards, not a choice of the best or junk.

Anyone who wants my platinum reward let me know. I too was hoping for something... different (read: something you can't already get through the damn store).

I'll get whatever you want and sell it cheap.

[quote name='iNFiNiTE HORiZON']how do I know if I qualified?[/QUOTE]

it'll tell you as soon as you log into your rewards account, at least it did for me.

[quote name='DesertLeo']it'll tell you as soon as you log into your rewards account, at least it did for me.[/QUOTE]

oh duh, lol thanks. exhaustion kicking in. well looks like I missed by a bit, oh well.

I sent a Tweet to @NintendoAmerica as to how cheated I feel this year(like it even matters). You would think for the money it would cost in product to make it to Platinum Status, they would be... significantly better! I mean seriously, how can you go from a Mario Hat in 2009, to a Super Mario Characters Figurine in 2010, to a Pin Set in 2011, to... Playing Cards, or another calender, or Posters. It's just ridiculous beyond belief!

Sorry about the b*tching, but I know I'm not the only one who feels this way! And if you do, tell them, it can't hurt!

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Double O Slevin']...or Posters the size of sheets of paper. It's just ridiculous beyond belief!

Sorry about the b*tching, but I know I'm not the only one who feels this way! And if you do, tell them, it can't hurt![/QUOTE]

Wait, wait. These things are that small? They're not even the standard sizes of the previous posters?

The average size of a Club Nintendo poster is 22x28, and has always been that way.

The cards are PLASTIC, not paper; which will make them of considerable resilience, compared to paper.
The face side is clear, while the back is gold/platinum. They are a unique and limited run just for Elite members.

These are rewards, that you are getting on top of any other rewards you got by spending coins.
They don't take 600 coins from you for them; they are an extra bonus item, to thank you for your loyalty over the course of a year.

They've also been offering games as of late; which I am very grateful for even in weaker months.
The various rewards that you can spend coins on will either appeal to you or not.

These are FREE REWARDS, that come from you spending time to give them feedback.
If you're buying Nintendo products for coins on Club Nintendo you are doing it WRONG.

Fine... not the size a sheet of paper... I apologize. I've edited the post. Does it really matter? If I wanted posters, I would've redeemed my points for posters, the ones you could redeem for are/were better anyway.

No one said you had to agree with me, I just think the rewards this year are a slap in the face, free or not. Call me ungrateful if you want, but anyone that's satisfied with this years selection is just a push-over. Plain and simple.

Now let the flaming begin.

While I don't quite like the rewards, i'll still take it. It just seems sub-par compared to the rewards from previous years, or even the rewards in other countries. I'm still going to want the stuff, though. I'm a hoarder and a pushover.

I may or may not be interested in buying the cards. Mostly dependent on how much people are going to be willing to sell them for.

Alright... As this is not a "Deal" in any sense, really (especially in that it is too late to get in on it if you haven't already) I'm moving this to the Deal/Shopping Discussion forum. I would have just closed it and redirected everyone to the Club Nintendo thread (where many of the same points are being made), but frankly, I don't want to clutter that thread up with 10 pages of back-and-forth on the merit of this year's Elite rewards.

And I say that as someone who is seriously disappointed in this year's prizes. Before it was clear you could only pick one of the items, I said I'd be disappointed even if the Platinum reward was all of them (cards, posters, and all the games). My disappointment stems simply from how much better previous years were (though last year was definitely the worst prior to this one and may be just as bad as this year - will have to see the cards first to decide). They've accomplished one thing for sure - lowered my expectations for next year's reward down to almost nothing. I will continue to enter codes as the regular things you can buy are good enough (especially now with the monthly games) but I won't expect anything from the reward next year. I'm certainly glad I redeemed a lot of extra codes (I went to about 1100 this year) that were dropping from 50 to 20 instead of holding on to them to qualify for Elite for future years. I wasn't sure when I did it, but in hindsight the higher coin values were worth way more than future potential platinum status I might have lost by redeeming them last Club year.

Anyone who don't want their prize can always ebay it.
Nintendo fanatics are suckers for this kind of stuff, they will buy anything with Nintendo logo on it, it's why shovelware sell so good on Nintendo consoles?
Last year I got $50 for them dumb pins, I'm pretty sure the cards will fetch at least $40.

[quote name='Romeo']I hear ya. Did you see my prior post though regarding the program in the US? It's a joke compared to CN Japan. It costs $350 USD to get a 10in by 10in washcloth here in the US, yet in Japan a gold controller would cost even less!

Regarding the SE comparison, I'm more referring to the top status getting all rewards, not a choice of the best or junk.[/QUOTE]

Yes, there have been a number of rewards from Japan that I'd love to get my hands on... But I can't :(. I'll admit that it upsets me a little, but there's nothing I can do about it and I'll take whatever I can get. I actually like and collect posters, so I'm fine and don't feel cheated. It's still a bonus reward.

I'm not saying Nintendo couldn't do things better, there's tons of things they could change to improve CN exponentially... But Nintendo is generally slow to change and I don't expect anything to become any different anytime soon.

[quote name='exaznkid']strange for nintendo to offer crappy rewards AND lower the point value of certain games[/QUOTE]

Keep in mind a lot of other games went up as well. DS games are now 40pts instead of 30pts.

[quote name='Romeo']Keep in mind a lot of other games went up as well. DS games are now 40pts instead of 30pts.[/QUOTE]

Some DS games are 40. Some went down to 20, and many stayed at 30. The 3DS stuff went up to 40, but then the post-play surveys dropped from 20 to 10, so that was really no increase at all.

So, really, the only stuff that actually went up in value was a handful of newer DS games.

[quote name='Double O Slevin']Fine... not the size a sheet of paper... I apologize. I've edited the post. Does it really matter? If I wanted posters, I would've redeemed my points for posters, the ones you could redeem for are/were better anyway.

No one said you had to agree with me, I just think the rewards this year are a slap in the face, free or not. Call me ungrateful if you want, but anyone that's satisfied with this years selection is just a push-over. Plain and simple.

Now let the flaming begin.[/QUOTE]

I would love to slap you in the face so you wouldn't use that stupid expression in regards to something that you're getting for free.

Since gamers are buying tons of Nintendo related items to redeem the points to be eligible for the prizes, I don't see how people can say it's free (Year end prizes). You pretty much buying the gifts. On a side note, I'm disappointed by this year's Platinum and Gold prizes.

[quote name='dan13l858']Since gamers are buying tons of Nintendo related items to redeem the points to be eligible for the prizes, I don't see how people can say it's free (Year end prizes). You pretty much buying the gifts. On a side note, I'm disappointed by this year's Platinum and Gold prizes.[/QUOTE]

You're buying the game to have the game. If you're buying a game just for the coins, you're an idiot. You could argue that filling out surveys takes time but you're compensated with coins to spend in the store. The gold and platinum prizes are completely free. You don't do anything extra to get them.

[quote name='gettinmoney662']You're buying the game to have the game. If you're buying a game just for the coins, you're an idiot. You could argue that filling out surveys takes time but you're compensated with coins to spend in the store. The gold and platinum prizes are completely free. You don't do anything extra to get them.[/QUOTE]

Yep. I don't understand why people don't get this. :wall:

[quote name='gettinmoney662']You're buying the game to have the game. If you're buying a game just for the coins, you're an idiot. You could argue that filling out surveys takes time but you're compensated with coins to spend in the store. The gold and platinum prizes are completely free. You don't do anything extra to get them.[/QUOTE]

I'm not buying the games for the coins. I just saying this "free" gift isn't really free but if you want to resort to calling someone "an idiot" to get your point view across then so be it. I bet you feel like a big man for saying it. Smh

[quote name='dan13l858']I'm not buying the games for the coins. I just saying this "free" gift isn't really free but if you want to resort to calling someone "an idiot" to get your point view across then so be it. I bet you feel like a big man for saying it. Smh[/QUOTE]

I just told you how it's free. You do nothing extra to get the platinum or gold prize. Therefore, it is free.

I didn't even call anybody an idiot. I said that if you buy games just for coins, then you are an idiot. However, since you were unable to comprehend that, I will now directly call you an idiot.

bread's done
Back