CM Punk will save you from poor Vewlix arcade joystick layouts!

Chuplayer

CAGiversary!
First thing's first...

[quote name='superdry']Chuplayer - I don't see what you see by mentioning that for SNK games the D button on the viewlix layout (picture of the TE stick shown by h3ro) curves back up? Besides the first two sets of buttons that are lower, the rest of them are straight.[/QUOTE]

That's not entirely true, and I was wrong last night. That makes both of us incorrect. The SNK D button and the button above it and to the right is not curved back up. It curves back down. I had some illegal substances in me last night that were clouding my judgment, but I luckily have enough brain cells left to realize that I knew it curved back down in the past. I just didn't remember that last night. However, my lord and savior, CM Punk, has saved me from both my drug addiction and poor Vewlix layouts. He outlined exactly why Vewlix layouts are bad for you and your family.

213620-GIW4GE2.jpg

The Jeff Hardy layout here shows that you can't use the six buttons to the right as a classic Street Fighter layout because they aren't straight. Speaking of straight, notice the two straight edges. One above and one below. They highlight the curvature of the SNK D button and the similar one on the top row. These things are horrible.

Thank you, CM Punk, for saving all of us with Straight Edge. He has also provided us with some more images showing us proper arcade layouts.

213626-PL4J616.png

213627-102044L.jpg

And you can combine the layout as such in my prototype stick I made last year when my judgment wasn't clouded by poisonous substances.

3354686317_79f43a0651.jpg

See that three button non-drugged up Virtua Fighter layout, too? This layout can do anything.

[quote name='Chacrana']That layout is fucking stupid and for people who are lousy at both games and life.[/QUOTE]

Tell me. How is it so stupid? And which layout? I posted four. It's like you've got a problem with concentration.

I see what you highlighted in the viewlix TE stick layout. Not disagreeing with you or anything. If I actually owned a stick with a viewlix layout I would have noticed things differently with the 8-button layout.

The funny thing is that the 8-button viewlix is rare besides for home console arcade sticks (usually it's 6-buttons and sometimes 4 or 7).

Thanks to SFIV the viewlix cabinets and layout is all the rage. I'm actually more partial to the Astro City layout.

Well, 8 button layouts are pretty much exclusive to console joysticks. I can't say I've ever seen that in an arcade, but I've been seeing it for years in PS1 and PS2 sticks.

But I maintain my stance. Vewlix is for douchebags. All it does is give you a stupidly more complex layout that you didn't even need in the first place. The simplicity was set back in the 90s.

Now, I'm not entirely opposed to a layout like the old CPS Fighter.

s2scqu.jpg

I own two of these myself. YLXR on that stick is sufficient for Neo Geo ports like Fatal Fury Special, if not completely ideal, and the top row of buttons isn't shifted to the right like in the Vewlix layout. Everything arcs to the left like your right arm would while using it. I'd almost call it an improvement over the straight 3x3 of the 90s arcade cabinets, but either layout is serviceable. The Vewlix implementation of this layout is not. Add in its complete unsuitability for Neo Geo fighters, and it's apparent to anybody who isn't fratboy college-age or younger these days that the Vewlix layout is a joke.

(BTW, the CPS Fighter is great for the SNES port of Fatal Fury Special. That version of FFS rules. It's rebalanced so Terry isn't a joke, and the soundtrack is remixed to perfection.)

[quote name='JEKKI']but who will save chuplayer from sucking at fighting games??[/QUOTE]

Nobody needs to. I can deliver the GTS to anybody.

I don't see why this is such a big deal. The ones we see today are ergonomic...a more natural fit for the hands. Make a claw with your hand and place your fingertips against a flat surface. Your hand will naturally conform to the layout we see on today's arcade cabinets. Although the buttons haven't moved much, the design is superior.

It really isn't much of a move. I can easily go from straight to ergo and not miss a button press.

The old designs are utilitarian and proven through years of use. They make sense, and they work. You don't need to worry about buttons curving down to the right. They're just there where you need them to be on the old layouts.

And moving the top row to the right is ridiculous. Why would you ever want to move your hand to the right to do punches in Street Fighter? What kind of douchebag tolerates this?

How does this even begin to be a deal, much less a big deal, to anyone? It's just a matter of what you grew up with and are used to. If you don't like it, you build your own stick, like you have. On of the aspects I like most about the fighting game community is the customization and modding of sticks. The 3 over 3 straight isn't even ergonomic.

Edit: Also the OP sounds kind of like a cloaked cry for help through drug rehabilitation.

[quote name='Ragnorok64']How does this even begin to be a deal, much less a big deal, to anyone? It's just a matter of what you grew up with and are used to. If you don't like it, you build your own stick, like you have. On of the aspects I like most about the fighting game community is the customization and modding of sticks.[/quote]

People can do what they want, but this Vewlix trend is a trend that should get bucked.

The 3 over 3 straight isn't even ergonomic.

It is utilitarian and functional and makes sense. It doesn't try to be anything it doesn't need to be, and it works. It is tried and true, and while you were a 23 chromosome cell in your mother, I was playing fighting games with it.

Edit: Also the OP sounds kind of like a cloaked cry for help through drug rehabilitation.

Nah, I just noticed that I was going to be making a couple of straight edges, and I thought it would be hilarious to make a few CM Punk references. I even put in that self depreciating reference in the upper left corner of the stick where Punk is bald and looks goofy.

[quote name='MarkMan']Oh wait, I can't close this thread. Oh well.[/QUOTE]

If you want to be serious for a moment, I'd welcome some serious Vewlix discussion. I still think it sucks, but maybe you could shed some light on the matter since you're such an expert.

That slight downward arc really annoys you, huh? And, it seems that you don't like the 8-button layout, but that's pretty much exclusive to consoles. Viewlix isn't really complex either...if you buy a stick with 8-buttons you can just remove two and use it as a 6-button controller.

People will use the layout they like the most and are comfortable with...no need to preach why certain layouts are wrong and what not. I've mentioned before that I prefer the Astro City button layout which you probably don't like either since it's not the standard American layout.

I have nothing against an 8 button layout. There's just nothing practical about it. My custom stick is the most practical implementation of original arcade layouts I've seen anybody do.

I might prefer Vewlix and Astro City layouts if my right hand protruded from directly above my right hipbone.

I find the Sega "City" 1 player layout to be best. 6 buttons is all those japanese Sega cabs have had for years and it works well. But I can't get comfortable with the 3 over 3 straight across. While we are at it, I prefer a ball top and convex buttons. This is from someone born in 1979 who was raised in American arcades with Happ parts.

There is no point debating about preference.

I don't care who you are, you can't please everyone.

That's why I don't think it is worth bringing up any debate/discussion into here.

If you want a layout that you are comfortable with, then I have a thought...

Use it.

[quote name='MarkMan']There is no point debating about preference.

That's why I don't think it is worth bringing up any debate/discussion into here.

Use it.[/QUOTE]

This man makes the best point. =D

I love it how when SFIV became popular and the TE sticks became the sticks to get...US gamers who grew up with American cabs and were not used to Japanese stuff were/probably still are flabbergasted by Japanese parts and button layouts.

[quote name='MarkMan']There is no point debating about preference.

Use it.[/QUOTE]

Pfftt.... like you know anything about arcade sticks!

P.S. I love me Matcatz TE SFIV stick, FYI. :)

[quote name='Chuplayer']Nobody needs to. I can deliver the GTS to anybody.[/QUOTE]
after that blazblue review...

... no.

[quote name='kainzero']after that blazblue review...

... no.[/QUOTE]

It's like you've got a problem with concentration. Do you even remember what this topic is about?

[quote name='Chuplayer']It's like you've got a problem with concentration. Do you even remember what this topic is about?[/QUOTE]

Puddin' Pops?

Look, I'm really just waiting around for MarkMan to come in and explain a lot of shit that I'm probably not going to agree with but will respect him for his opinions and his time. I already established that I think new layouts are horrible, but I want some better input than a lot of people who think that BlazBlue and Street Fighter 4 and Marvel Vs. Capcom 2 is the pinnacle of all fighting games and use whatever Johnny-come-lately joystick layout is pushed upon them by the media.

[quote name='kainzero']after that blazblue review...

... no.[/QUOTE]I agree with this.

as far as wanting an explanation on button layout and stick preferences, there are certain execution techniques that some layouts facilitate to better than other layouts.

a prime example is doing piano inputs. Much easier on a curved layout than a straight.

Chu, you expect people to accept you and your "different" hobby, yet you start telling people that your opinion on button layouts is handed down from on high and every layout you don't like is "for douchebags"? And you're bragging about how much longer and/or how much better you are at fightng games than everyone else?

I'm just letting you know that your posts here make you come off as an arrogant a**hole. Are you sure you aren't still high or drunk?

Anyway.
The Taito Vewlix is an arcade cabinet. It's not something the "media" pushes on it. Go to Japan and they'll have Vewlix cabinets. And people play on them. And they play on a level much, much higher than you. You can use the cabinet for whatever. I went there and I saw games like Virtua Tennis 3 on them while other newer games had older Astro City cabinets.

Modern iterations of KOF don't play on the old Neo Geo cabs. They use the common Japanese curved layout (present on the Vewlix and the Astro City). KOF XIII gives you the option of selecting your layout similar to Blazblue so they had to adapt for the arcade market.

Lastly, preference is preference. I've played everything but Marvel 2 on a Japanese stick. When I play on an American stick, I will literally hit open spaces or the side of the button because I'm used to the buttons being curved. It doesn't mean curved is better or stupid, it's just that it's preference since my friend was playing me just fine. You CAN adapt. Hell, a pad doesn't have anywhere near the same button layout as a stick and I used to be able to perform Alpha 3 V-ism combos on those with shoulder buttons.

The reason why your skill is brought up is because you're not at a sufficient skill level to talk about button layouts. It's like a noob photographer complaining about the level of detail in his lens when his composition blows, a .049 baseball hitter complaining about the bat, etc. etc.

[quote name='JEKKI']a prime example is doing piano inputs. Much easier on a curved layout than a straight.[/QUOTE]

Curved piano? Have you ever seen a curved piano? Don't make me break out the CM Punk Straight Edge Piano image. If it was good enough for Mozart, it's good enough for me.

[quote name='Chuplayer']Curved piano? Have you ever seen a curved piano? Don't make me break out the CM Punk Straight Edge Piano image. If it was good enough for Mozart, it's good enough for me.[/QUOTE]

The curved layout with buttons closer together is better to quickly tap buttons next to each other since your fingers are closer together. Have ever you ever seen a piano with keys really spaced out? No, they are close together.

And, the viewlix button layout is popular nowadays because most modern day fighters use that particular cabinet in Japan....nothing about the "media" shoving down what to use. If you want to replicate the arcade experience, input wise, on a home console, then you would buy a joystick that has that layout.

I guess I'll leave it at since it is pointless to have an argument with someone who prefers old American style 6-button layout than what the Japanese have been using for ages as it's all a preference.

[quote name='Chuplayer']Curved piano? Have you ever seen a curved piano? [/QUOTE]so does the button layout have to be in the shape of a tiger's knee in order to do a tiger knee execution?

[quote name='JEKKI']so does the button layout have to be in the shape of a tiger's knee in order to do a tiger knee execution?[/QUOTE]

hahahahahahahah

Chu: Well, in defense of the Street Fighter and BlazBlue sticks I worked on.

Why were they Vewlix style?

Because the games were on Vewlix cabinets.

That's the end of it really.

I was looking at Chu's doll collection earlier and I'm really not impressed; the buttons on the dolls are spaced way too far apart... what sort of douchebag would like THOSE kind of dolls? CuddlePro dolls FTW, if you don't believe me then I will mock you via MS Paint. I guess this is a bit OT though, so I'll go create another thread where I'll say that I'm looking for "input" but really just insult anyone that responds.

[quote name='MarkMan']hahahahahahahah

Chu: Well, in defense of the Street Fighter and BlazBlue sticks I worked on.

Why were they Vewlix style?

Because the games were on Vewlix cabinets.

That's the end of it really.[/QUOTE]

I'm going to need more than "I think I'm turning Japanese I think I'm turning Japanese I really think so."

[quote name='Chuplayer']I'm going to need more than "I think I'm turning Japanese I think I'm turning Japanese I really think so."[/QUOTE]
You say that as if you actually deserved an answer to begin with.

[quote name='Ragnorok64']You say that as if you actually deserved an answer to begin with.[/QUOTE]

Does anybody really deserve any answers?

[quote name='Chuplayer']Does anybody really deserve any answers?[/QUOTE]

Thanks Plato

[quote name='krazyazn01']I love this thread...it's pure comedy =)[/QUOTE]

Seriously, I love how funny the guy is who implied that you can't play a piano since the keys aren't curved. I was rolling on the floor :lol:

bread's done
Back