CoD: Black Ops Contest

The GameStop Surprize Attack promotion got majorly abused when it first came out. A couple days into it they realized it and added a generic captcha, and a few days later they added ReCaptca. But, with the use of services like Decaptcher.com the site was still abused by people using bots (i.e. entering hundreds or thousands of times with various email tricks). The Xbox Live rewards were then removed. People that used bots, and submitted hundreds or thousands of entries, and supposedly won lots of prizes, didn't get anything at all. Nada. Not even a single code.

I am lucky enough to have several shipping address, so I entered once daily for each unique address (email, shipping and IP). So, as far as the promotion is concerned, all of my entries would appear to be legit. During that period I was able to win several times on a several of the accounts. When they did eventually send out the awards (sometime around 10/22?) I ended up getting no more than 1 of each (MSP and 1 mo XBL), even if the account had won two of MSP awards (or two XBL awards).

Since the legitimacy of my wins are somewhat questionable, I am not about to pursue the omitted prizes. It is obvious that they had to take a closer look at all of their entries received from the start of the promotion up until they were able to address the abuse issue, so if you cheated there is a good chance your entries were voided. Anyone that entered multiple times with the same computer, and possibly the same phone number or shipping address (i.e. just used different email address to submit more than one entry per day), was probably identified and disqualified.

I also got an interesting notification that I believe indicated that I won one of the daily drawings, but I have not heard from them, so I am not sure about that one. However, I suspect I know why... According to the ToS:
[quote name='ToS']Administrator will attempt to contact the potential Winners via the telephone numbers provided on his or her entry form. No messages will be left on answering machines or voicemail systems. If any potential Winner cannot be reached directly, the potential Winner will be disqualified and an alternate potential Winner will be selected in a random drawing from among the remaining applicable Eligible Entries received.[/quote]
Depending on when they would have called, it is entirely possible that I was unable to answer the phone (i.e. I cannot answer my personal cell phone while at work), and thus was disqualified. If you ask me, that is total BS... All they have to do is call people at 4am, or during normal business hours, and a whole lot of people would get disqualified. My guess is that most people in school or college can't answer their phones during class, either... So, another huge demographic (the one that is most likely to be playing their game) that would probably miss the call. Ugh!

Last edited by a moderator:
well I used one email. And yeah total bs to call since a majority of people can't sit on their phones. I'm assuming they called and I couldn't answer...

[quote name='demolitio']Did anyone who received the verification email get their prize yet?[/QUOTE]
Did you get the phone call?

As per the ToS, they call the number you provided to verify your entry. If you weren't able to answer their call, no prize for you.

[quote name='A Gamer']Did you get the phone call?

As per the ToS, they call the number you provided to verify your entry. If you weren't able to answer their call, no prize for you.[/QUOTE]

Uggghhhhh...I never got a call at all. I put my cell number on there to even make sure and there's nothing. :(

This day was already one of the worst days ever dealing with social security.

[quote name='Jonahyg']where do you enter the codes?[/QUOTE]

You can click here and choose "Enter To Win."

In other news... anyone know a gamer that could use an extra $4,000? We've just announced the Black Ops Ultimate Combat tournament. Between the 1-on-1 in-store and the 4-on-4 online, GameStop's giving away $30,000 cash!

Snapz%20Pro%20XScreenSnapz004.jpg

Here's the FAQ for the 1-on-1 and 4-on-4.

Anyone plan on entering?

EDIT: My links seem to break on this board, so for the time being, go to www[dot]surprizeattack[dot]com and click on the bottom-right button for info on the tournament

I'm pretty sure I never received a call. GameStopTom, you wanna weigh in here?

So this was the second night this week it said I won 100 MS points. I won 100 points before we got the verification emails. I also got a message saying I won ...something... at the very beginning. None of those have appeared but the 1 month XBL code I won came to my email immediately. This contest is poorly run I believe...

[quote name='LoganDX']I'm pretty sure I never received a call. GameStopTom, you wanna weigh in here?

So this was the second night this week it said I won 100 MS points. I won 100 points before we got the verification emails. I also got a message saying I won ...something... at the very beginning. None of those have appeared but the 1 month XBL code I won came to my email immediately. This contest is poorly run I believe...[/QUOTE]

It's definitely got me confused right now. I just hope I didn't lose my prize but that makes no sense since I never got a call period.

I'm bringing your questions to the higher-ups, but in the meantime I wanted to let you know that our last elite prize has unlocked! And it seats 4.

41_Jeep.png

You can enter at www[dot]surprizeattack[dot]com.

Also, members of the Treyarch development team will be at certain midnight releases. You can see if they'll be at a GameStop near you on our Facebook page.

[quote name='GameStopTom']I'm bringing your questions to the higher ups [/QUOTE]

Some answers would definitely be nice. :)

Well all-in-all, I scored 500 MS points, 1 free month of Live, an avatar flight suit off the free online entry code (right before the flight suit claim ended), and two free appetizers at TGIF that will not be used.

I still have not received any emails with codes for what I won over the course of the sweepstakes and after talking to my friends and family I know who were entering everyday the same applies to them. I wonder if they are still in the process of verification of accounts. I don't know if they will call for the xbox live subscriptions or the microsoft points but I am still waiting on that call. So far I have not missed any calls on my phone yet and it hasn't been off since this sweepstakes started. Anyone else in the same boat?

[quote name='acein']I still have not received any emails with codes for what I won over the course of the sweepstakes and after talking to my friends and family I know who were entering everyday the same applies to them. I wonder if they are still in the process of verification of accounts. I don't know if they will call for the xbox live subscriptions or the microsoft points but I am still waiting on that call. So far I have not missed any calls on my phone yet and it hasn't been off since this sweepstakes started. Anyone else in the same boat?[/QUOTE]

I got a couple emails with MS points and a 1 month XBL code. I never answered a call from them so I don't believe they call for those. Maybe just the bigger, physical prizes...

bread's done
Back