College, help!

RESmonkey

CAGiversary!
I can't decide...Computer Engineering or Computer Science? I want to be able to do something with gaming (console design, software design, little of both?, ???).

I'm not applying to game-design schools. I've got into Purdue, and waiting for Univ. of IL. @ Urbana Champaign.

Will Computer Engineering be something I can use to design game consoles for MS or something? I hear nVidia hires from Univ. of IL a lot, and so does MS.

How about, Computer Science? Big name schools aren't geared towards game-specific programming, but I could learn the graphics on my own and what not.

Learning on your own is the way to go in most fields. I am getting a degree in media studies, but I've taken it upon myself to learn production (directing, shooting, editing), even though my school doesn't focus on these things, there are plenty of people who are interested.

I would say as far as major, I would start with CompSci, and then switch if you have to (if you're looking to design games or whatnot), or Engineering if you're looking to do more hardware stuff, but I think there are people more knowledgeable than I in these things.

Also remember that something like 50% of students switch their majors anyway, so it's generally not a big deal if you figure out you're in the wrong major. Plus, you could always do something like a CompSci major and a Engineering Minor if your school allows that (and that'd be something you should ask if you go to open house/admitted student days).

Well, I really don't know what exactly Computer Science entails. But I do know that Computer Engineering deals almost exclusively with hardware. Things like designing computer chips and computer architecture, I believe. I'm pretty sure almost all of the coding they might do is completely dedicated to working with hardware. I'm sure they do things like program computer network code, and computer hardware drivers, but I don't think they do any game coding. So no, I don't think Computer Engineering is what you're looking for if you want to be a game designer.

Can't you just ask an advisor at the college which field you should major in? Instead of, you know, asking people on a message board and then guessing?

[quote name='Killer Rabbit']
Can't you just ask an advisor at the college which field you should major in? Instead of, you know, asking people on a message board and then guessing?[/QUOTE]

Apparently, you haven't dealt with academic advisers before...

If it's possible, take the intro or cross-over courses for both. Once you get a few classes and projects under your belt, you'll figure out which major track will help you in the long-run, and which one you actually see yourself taking advantage of.

Though I'll guarantee you that once you step out with your degree, you'll have second thoughts about shooting for a career in the game industry. (unless you got a secret shrine to Shiggy or Will Wright in your closet) So just make sure you don't totally close off your doors to other career tracks.

As a restrospective; I only took Computer Science courses when I started uni (minus electives), because I thought I really wanted to be a programmer/developer. 4 years have passed and I've realized I'd make one hell of a shitty programmer. But I put in the time after classes/studying for the career which I do now. Mind you I'm still finishing my degree *sigh*

[quote name='RESmonkey']So...you posted (the Original poster) your essay on a forum?[/QUOTE]

No. Vanilla did. He got negative feedback across the board. :lol:

[quote name='munch']Looking at the title, do you want help with college, or college to help you?[/quote]
Should have been, "College help!" and not "College, help!"

My bad.

[quote name='Moxio']No. Vanilla did. He got negative feedback across the board. :lol:[/quote]Except from the only one who counts, the instructor, who really liked it.

:booty:

If you want to do game design, take a lot of math, and a lot of CS. Learn as many languages as possible, but focus on the C based languages (most mass market games tend to be written in that nowadays). It would be wise to build a portfolio of apps before you finish college, to have something to show off.

If you want hardware, take a lot of math, engineering, and assembly courses.

Well I am currently a Computer Science major in college. Basically a CS major is going to go more on the software side of computers. You wont learn to make games, but you should have some type of graphics knowledge of languages so you could potentially make little java games in 2D (but research on your own time will do). Computer Engenieering is more hardware focused, but yeah you would be desigining hardware based apps and stuff. I think you would prefer CS more because it seems you would rather do gaming and such.

[quote name='munch']Looking at the title, do you want help with college, or college to help you?[/QUOTE]
Why must I be beaten!? :bomb:

I've been told by a few different people that engineering is arguably one of the hardest majors (next to bio), so keep that in mind.

First lets make sure of one thing. Do you like math? Would you carry it's child? If not pick a different major and learn to design on your own time.

Some big schools offer digital media programs that have subdivisions dealing with game design. Fortunately all entertainment/design/art fields are generally portfolio based anyway, so if you feel that a specific major will help you build your portfolio, go with it. Programming the way colleges teach it isn't always for everyone. I know more about programming from screwing around at home then I ever did in the 3 semesters I was a CS major.

bread's done
Back