College help

coolcps

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
Well its my senior year in highschool and I really gotta think about what to do for college. My gpa is slightly over 3.0, and 1200 on my SATs, but I got two D's in Precal so I think i only have 2-3 years of math. I am retaking precal right now, but Im gonna transfer, I cant take doing all that bs again. So I have been thinking of just going to a junior college for 2 years then transfering, since I really dont know what I want to do with my life, I am veeeerry good with computers in general, but really dont know if I wanna do something with that. Does anyone think going to a JC then transfering to a 4 year college and finishing for a bachelors there is a good idea? Thanks for any help, senior year isnt fun so far thinking about all this stuff!

I'm going to a community college right now and transferring to a 4 year college soon. It's worth it. At CC's, there's less students, so there's more teacher/student interaction, which leads to better grades since you understand the stuff,

CC is a lot easier than a university and there is far less distraction as far as going to parties and such.

The cost is also much less.

Lots of people in Austin go to the local community colleges to garner extra credits, or do what you plan to do, and eventually end up at the Univ Texas. If you play your cards right your community college credits will transfer into the college system of your choice and when you graduate, it will appear as if you got all your credit at the University ( and not the community college). Good luck to you

A gpa of 3 and 1200 on the SATs isn't all that bad, its actually pretty good. I wouldn't worry too much about the grades you get senior. I got a D in Con Law and a D in psychology my senior and I got accepted to a fairly competitive college. But then again I got my ass kicked freshman year of college, got Cs in all my classes. Basically the choice depends on how comfortable you are right now.

Community College is a pretty sweet deal if you can stay focused. I know several people who saved a lot of money by doign a coupla years at cc and then, when they knew what they wanted went away to school and were very successful.

Go to a 4 year liberal arts private school. Money makes you get focused, the student teacher ratio is always great, and its got a great vibe. Worked for me.

Thanks, I have to talk to my counselor and change some stuff tommorow, get rid of precal and get AP Bio or something I like more. And im gonna consider some kind of engineering for a major.

"Does anyone think going to a JC then transfering to a 4 year college and finishing for a bachelors there is a good idea?"

I think that going to a community college is an idea worth considering. I started going to one my senior year in high school so I could get high school and college credit at the same time. I like that the class sizes are smaller so I can have more interaction with the professors. The only bad part about community college is that people tend to think that everyone at a community college is a dumbass and not worthy of attending a university. However, I graduated high school in the top 25 out of a class of over 500 students. You should still try and apply to whatever university you want to go to but if you don't get in to them then go to a community college and try to transfer later.

Math is actually one of my better subjects, but the last 3 years I had the same teacher and it got worse every year, I hated her and no matter what I did I would get screwed with my grade, she is so evil. I am also one of those people who wont show work on something I dont need to and get pissed when teachers try to make me. I think that in college I can definately do Calculus courses and stuff, I have just had really bad experiences with the crazy math teacher at my highschool.

i just started university this year, and i was having the same prob as u last year when i was a high school senior on deciding which career i should persue.

u still have ur senior year to decide on a major so u could probally do some research, take some of those tests that help point out what a good career for u may be, etc. cause if u can, u wind up saving 2 years of ur life, skiping cc, and going straight to a university. if u really dont know what u want to major in yet than i think u should consider cc, it'll give u some more time to think about it w/o wasting a lot of money.

also if ur not good at calculus than i'm pretty sure u should rethink computers as ur major, for example the comp sci. program at my university requres a lot of calculus/linear algebra.

[quote name='EggViper'] also if ur not good at calculus than i'm pretty sure u should rethink computers as ur major, for example the comp sci. program at my university requres a lot of calculus/linear algebra.[/quote]

To me my grades do not reflect my knowledge of math, because I consider myself to know precal pretty well now, just not doing the homework to the teachers standards and getting screwed on her tests, getting stuff wrong for having the right answer and not showing enough work. Overall I feel that I learned quite a bit in precal and have a good grasp on it, but getting those D's really screwed things up for me. I feel comfortable taking Calculus classes in college for something like a computer science or engineering major.

With a 3.0 and 1200 I'd suggest going straight to a 4 year university and skipping JC. You have the grades and scores for a good state university and you never know if all you JC credits will transfer right, etc.

hey maybe you can relate to this ill use sacramento terms :) so i went to american river for two years and it was really cool and very relax, it was also very cheap, i transfered to UCDavis afterwords with no trouble at all, especially with a GPA over 3.0... (ARC and UCD have transfer agreements, talk to a counsler aboot it!) anyway, now UCD is great and I am almost done with my BA... to sum it up, go to JC, just dont slack off when you get there, youll have much easier time getting into a CSU or UC because they give priority to transfer students, not only that but youll save money on tuition (mine went from under 200 to over 2000) and its actually good at helping you get to a university education level.

[quote name='iheartmetal']hey maybe you can relate to this ill use sacramento terms :) so i went to american river for two years and it was really cool and very relax, it was also very cheap, i transfered to UCDavis afterwords with no trouble at all, especially with a GPA over 3.0... (ARC and UCD have transfer agreements, talk to a counsler aboot it!) anyway, now UCD is great and I am almost done with my BA... to sum it up, go to JC, just dont slack off when you get there, youll have much easier time getting into a CSU or UC because they give priority to transfer students, not only that but youll save money on tuition (mine went from under 200 to over 2000) and its actually good at helping you get to a university education level.[/quote]

Yeah, adding to that. I see that you're grades and SAT are pretty good, but going to JC really isn't a bad idea. I went straight to UCD outta HS from the Bay Area which worked for me, but the year after, getting into UC's became much more difficult. Especially with all the budget cuts that Arnold has been passing (meaning higher tuition), I think JC's are becoming a much more viable option.
True that the workload at most JC's are less demanding, but it does help if the school has transfer agreements like iheartmetal mentioned. Also I know people that went to JC's and then transferred into much better schools that they probably couldn't get into if they applied right outta HS like Cal or UCLA. But yeah, I feel you on the calculus, I had rotten teachers and my grades suffered because of it. Good luck.

[quote name='DenisDFat']community college is the worst thing ever.

It's like dying a little inside every day.[/quote]

Not that I ever went, but from friends that did; I must agree with that statement. It's like taking an extra few years of high school... ugh, I'm glad I went straight to a University. With your gpa you should be able to do the same, which is what I highly recommend if you have sufficient funds/scholarships to do so.

I went to a Community College. While I liked the fact that I got my Associates Degree and was debt free when I got out, I feel I was gipped in the experience of attending a university, living in dorms, going to party's, etc. I would still recommend going to a JC first, because you can take all the mandatory courses everyone has to take at a fraction of the cost. Just make sure you talk to the university you plan on attending afterwords to make sure which credits transfer. I knew quite a few people who had to retake classes at their university because they did not recognize the JC credit.

[quote name='rajchakrabarti']well if you decide to do engineering get ready for at least some calculus....especially electrical or computer... get ready for a lot of calculus[/quote]

As an engineering graduate from Penn State, I can tell you that you will live and breathe calculus in most engineering fields. I didn't have any calculus in high school, but by the time I graduated from college it was for the most part easy (with the exception of differential equations...).

Yeah, it doesn't sound like you wanna be an engineer...Don't trap yourself with a major that you won't enjoy and that will take up all of your time...Are you a people person, good at interacting with fellow students and teachers??? If you have any interpersonal skills, I recommend going for a Business Management major, I went to a small Liberal Arts School(loyola in Baltimore) and got a BBA...Trust me when I say this, it's all you need to get a career started...I was a Computer Science major for the first 2 years of school and looking back it was a complete waste of time...In the business world, you are either in Sales, IT, or a Finance Dept./Supportive Role...I recommend to everybody just to get your bachelor's and if you have people skills go into some sort of a sales job, if you work hard the money is there, unlike an IT gig or a finance gig...Also it doesn't matter where you start school, it's where you finish...Save some money go to a JC, get your associates and then move on to a bigger school get your bachelor's and you'll be all set...Good Luck

going to JC will use up another 2 years of your life. If you feel that you can handle college calculus or anything else for that matter, then you should go straight to university. After all, you can always go back to JC anytime.

With you grades... i would recomend going to a 4 year, and skip JR college.. or CC college... cuz like somebody mentioned its like more highschool... also if you like computers... take a look at Information Science as a major (also known as IS , IST, MIS etc...) Doesn't contain much hardware like computer enginerring or the programing of Comp Sci...... just another option to explore...

if money is a concern then i guess transfering to a 4 year school is a good option.. but my best experince of college was a freshman away from home... and ask anybody... freshman year is a goood time.. but remeber to keep your focus on school...

I think what I am going to do I apply to some universities that I like and if I can't get in I will just go to a JC. My counselor was telling me it is going to be hard for me to get into a University with my two D's from precal, but I have 3 years of math credits other than that. Do you guys think that it matters that much? Right now I am retaking it but am probably going to drop it, it hurts doing the same thing as last year. Also hopefully I can raise my SAT scores to 1300 or so. I still havent taken SAT IIs, but I heard they are only for certain schools, I guess I should do them anyway though. Thanks for all of your opinions and what not already.

bread's done
Back