Colorado Conservatives Get Smart About the Environment (Anti-Fracking)

Trancendental

CAGiversary!
Feedback
4 (100%)
LONGMONT, Colo. — This old farming town near the base of the Rocky Mountains has long been considered a conservative next-door neighbor to the ultraliberal college town of Boulder, a place bisected by the railroad and where middle-class families found a living at the vegetable cannery, sugar mill and Butterball turkey plant.

But this month, Longmont became the first town in Colorado to outlaw hydraulic fracturing, the oil-drilling practice commonly known as fracking. The ban has propelled Longmont to the fiercely contested forefront of the nation’s antifracking movement, inspiring other cities to push for similar prohibitions.

But it has also set the city on a collision course with oil companies and the State of Colorado.

“People really didn’t think through this too well,” Mayor Dennis L. Coombs said, sounding weary at the prospect of an onslaught of lawsuits. “We are where we are. I guess you have to respect the people.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/11/26/u...rado-town-lands-in-thick-of-dispute.html?_r=0

Fracking is so bad for the environment that even conservatives are finally getting it. Good for them and good for this Colorado town.

Frack the state that's been bought with oil money, frack the mayor who sounds like a spineless bought-off waste of space, and frack the oil companies. Good for the people for standing up for themselves and the environment.

[quote name='mykevermin']Wow.

Wish that would happen here in PA. Sadly, Corbett and others in the state congress are bought and paid for by energy.[/QUOTE]

Unless they find some way to find without irrevocably poisoning the only water we can drink as well as the land fracking should be banned everywhere.
My access to drinkable water is far more important then getting cheap heat. I'll light candles or put a shit ton of blankets over myself. Fracking is NON-negotiable as far as I'm concerned.
Anyone of any political stripe who doesn't have their head up their respective parties ass should be against fracking.

bread's done
Back