Comcast downgrade turns to upgrade with a cheaper deal

Fearia

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
The long story behind spoiler:
A year ago I moved into this apartment and decided to get cable / internet from Comcast. I decided to go with a bundle (Digital Duo or something?) to save money. For a year, it was a set price of $xx per month. Over time, they messed up a few times, and so I ended up with free premium channels. Later I got a HDTV, so I upgraded my service for DVR. After the free premium channels expired, I kept them because they were now at a discounted rate.

This month my promotional package deal expired. Last month I was paying $92.xx for monthly service (HBO, Starz, Showtime + Basic Digital Cable / HD + DVR + Internet). This month, they wanted to charge me $145.xx. I decided that in order to save money, because I can't afford that, I'd downgrade my service and get rid of HBO / Showtime (Starz is still free), so that I'd be paying $120 a month.

While on the phone to downgrade my service, the woman on the line asked why I was doing it. I outright told her I can't afford $140 per month. To which she responds "Well, if you could have anything with your current service, what would it be?" I told her I'd love having channels like G4 n' the like (the upper, more "premium" cable line up).

This is where things got weird. She told me that for a year, I could sign up for another promotional package . . . $102 a month, exact same service I have now, but with those additional channels.

So, the quick story:

I call to downgrade service because I'll be paying $140 a month for service, so that I'd be paying $120 a month for service.

The lady instead *upgrades* my package to give me exactly what I had before + more channels. For $102 a month. Nearly $20 less than what I was expected to pay for next months service, and $10 more than my promotional package.

. . . I don't know what just happened, but this is one of the few times in which Comcast has made me boggle in amazement. I love you, mystery Comcast lady.

Happens when you find a rep (for any service really) who doesn't want to waste their time. They jump right to the best "customer save" offer they have available to them when you call in to make any change. They most likely get kudos for "retaining a customer" when someone reviews their results.

Similar thing happened to me with my internet connection with Verizion. I was paying 29.99 a month with a 1 year contract. Price was supposed to go up to 39.99 after the year was up but I called in and simply said "I don't want to pay 39.99". And the guy said "I can sign you up for another year at 24.99". Call took less then 10 minutes. It really makes you wonder how many people don't bother calling in when their contracts are up.

Same thing happened to me this week! I called to see how much it would cost to get back just the internet because I'm totally broke at the moment, the lady was real nice. I told her more than I should have probably and guess what I haz...... 78 a month for cable, internet, phone, HD dvr and Boost! :p The price is for two years but the free dvr and boost is only for 1 year free.

When I had the service before I was paying the bill on the first day it was available online so maybe that helped? The supervisor called me when I canceled the to see why I was leaving and I told him the same thing I told the lady that gave me the deal. He said when I come back he'll see what he can do and this rep did talk to him while on the line with me. This was with Optimum and I love them now and shall never leave, unless they start with the limiting internet usage shit. O_O It still bugged me out a bit though to hear a kind customer service rep, wishing me the best to find a new job and all. So........ YIP! :)

Btw I don't have any movie channels (HBO,Starz, etc) so if I add those it should be about what your paying so I think we have the same deal. I'm not adding them since like I said I'm broke atm but I would like to watch True Blood...... Anywow /High Five lol

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone tried this with time warner cable? My parents pay $120 a month and always complain about it, this is for basic cable + internet.

But there's not really anything else nearby, that would have both.

We recently also got HBO for free, without any warning. What a crappy channel, not worth paying for.

thats nothing... i called up to downgrade cause i could not afford 90 per month for cable and 44 per month for hsi

Was offered

2 years FIXXED

Full digital cable (includes all of the encore movie channels)
HBO
DVR BOX
for 44.95 per month (reg almost 90+)

HSI
19.99 for their 2nd best speed for 2 years

[quote name='Renaissance 2K']I anticipate next month's bill for $222 ($120 + $102).[/QUOTE]

I really don't, because I was quite clear on it.

That's the only thing stopping me from getting HSI from the cable company, is the price. I cringe at paying $20 and change a month to Verizon for their slowest speed DSL, so doubling that or MORE for Comcast's service would be ridiculous to me.

Then again, I've managed to get my services locked in for much lower rates before(like when I was still on AOL and PAYING for it :whistle2:X). I got them to give me free month after free month to 'think about whether i wanna cancel or not'.

But if I could get HSI from Comcast for $20 locked in for a year or two, I'd dump Verizon in a second. Well, after my contract expires in January or so since I don't wanna pay any fees to cancel.

I have Digital Prefered, DVR Box, HD Box, Regular Box, W/Showtime
HSI (which according to SpeedTests reaches 25-30MB Download)

For $120 a month

I called to cancel Charter and they did the same thing to me, added a DVR and knocked my price down. I also got a flyer in the mail to lock in a somewhat close price for 2 years, upgrade my internet to 20MBPS (from 10) and add about 25 channels. Think I'll be doing that.

Leaves me wondering if cable companies have been getting hit with the economy, so they're doing whatever they can to keep customers. That, or more competition. Either way, I'm all for this. :)

[quote name='Fearia']Leaves me wondering if cable companies have been getting hit with the economy, so they're doing whatever they can to keep customers. That, or more competition. Either way, I'm all for this. :)[/QUOTE]
Economy, methinks.

I called Comcast to cut down to just Internet (Girlfriend and roommate have cell phones, plus no one watches TV thanks to Netflix) and they offered me a helluva sweetheart deal: $99 a month for Triple Play with HBO and Starz.

Knocked $80 off the bill and we get to keep our "landline."

Still doesn't compare to the time I got a free month of service and six free months of HBO because they disconnected my service totally (Phone, Cable, and Internet) for a week. They were supposed to disconnect the service for the apartment directly above mine, as they had moved out, but somehow messed it up. I kept making appointments to get a technician out there and no one would show. After much bitching, moaning, and calls to the Department of Consumer Affairs and the local TV's Consumer Guru I got my service restored.

Very first thing I did was check my voicemail (My grandmother was in the hospital at the time and my relatives who live near her only had my house phone number) and I found five messages that all went like this: "Hello, this is (Name) from Comcast calling to verify you will be there for your service appointment. If you do not return this call, we will cancel your appointment."

Comcast, this is for you: :applause:

Ehehe, I managed to get a year of Starz for free, and 6 months of HBO for free right off the bat due to a misquote on my install fee and a very nice customer rep.

Conversation started with me having to choose between a month of one or the other. I picked HBO, told the girlfriend, who said "Damn, should've picked Starz! They have more movies!" Called back, explained I'm whipped and would like to switch my free month. The service rep I talked to cracked up and said to make my life easier, he'd just max what he could do out for movies. :D

[quote name='Keavy_Rain']Economy, methinks.

I called Comcast to cut down to just Internet (Girlfriend and roommate have cell phones, plus no one watches TV thanks to Netflix) and they offered me a helluva sweetheart deal: $99 a month for Triple Play with HBO and Starz.

Knocked $80 off the bill and we get to keep our "landline."

Still doesn't compare to the time I got a free month of service and six free months of HBO because they disconnected my service totally (Phone, Cable, and Internet) for a week. They were supposed to disconnect the service for the apartment directly above mine, as they had moved out, but somehow messed it up. I kept making appointments to get a technician out there and no one would show. After much bitching, moaning, and calls to the Department of Consumer Affairs and the local TV's Consumer Guru I got my service restored.

Very first thing I did was check my voicemail (My grandmother was in the hospital at the time and my relatives who live near her only had my house phone number) and I found five messages that all went like this: "Hello, this is (Name) from Comcast calling to verify you will be there for your service appointment. If you do not return this call, we will cancel your appointment."

Comcast, this is for you: :applause:[/QUOTE]

I am going to have to call them! I pay $115 for the triple play with free starz,encore,HBO. I get 15 mbps DL and 8 UL. If I can get the same for $99 /month I would be happy.

bread's done
Back