Comic Book Discussion Thread (Marvel, DC, Image, Dark Horse, Top Cow, IDW, Indy, etc)

So how many of you buy the actual comic book vs. a digital copy? Those that do buy the comic book, do you redeem your digital copy or what do you do with them?

I buy physical for everything I prefer to have real copies of (anything related to Batman, Spidey, Young Avengers, or Venom) and everything else I use digital (usually torrents) while waiting for the trades.

I buy everything physical that I'm following, but I also buy sale stuff that interests me on Comixology and use it to buy and read back issues as well, since my comic shop doesn't have a lot of back issues, so I can get caught up on something and start reading it physically or check out an older series I'm interested in. Also, I do tend to redeem the marvel digital copies but I just read my physical one.

Paul Giamatti might be playing the Rhino. Sure he can play stubborn as fuck, but I feel he would make a better Doctor Octopus.
Anyway I hope he gets it, especially since he was reported as saying this would be his dream role back in 2011.

2 C-level villains? One played by Jamie Foxx and one played by Giamatti? Yeah, there is no way this could possibly go wrong.

Must resist bashing on Amazing Spiderman. Paul Giamattiis a pretty good actor though.

Young justice got cancelled which is pretty upsetting for me.

[quote name='bardockkun']I Buy physical and never care for the digital copies.[/QUOTE]

This for me too. Even if I had a tablet I don't think I'd utilize the feature.

With that said I have subscribed to Marvel's online library for a month just to catch up with some stories I wanted to read like Nextwave Agents of HATE, Venom, and a bunch more I can't remember.

At least that means they will have no choice but to put it on Netflix so I can finally watch it.

EDIT: Rodimus mentioned Nextwave: Agents of H.A.T.E. and I really loved that book. Like, really fucking loved it. If I could marry the book, I would.

What? Young Justice got cancelled? Then again, I don't even know when it airs.. If the WB showed it on the CW on Saturdays, I might tune in religiously, but these days, I can't be bothered with such shows unless they're on dvd. sigh.
I'm kinda worried about the next Batman cartoon, which is in CG and is supposed to be a lot more violent.

I buy both digital and physical. It's all about getting the best price. Some friends pass along their digital codes for Marvel books, so I get them that way. Otherwise, I either wait for a sale (or wait for the price drop, like Walking Dead) or go with the graphic novel.

If they could've kept a stable airing schedule Young Justice wouldn't have needed to be cancelled. I really enjoyed it.

[quote name='GhostShark']EDIT: Rodimus mentioned Nextwave: Agents of H.A.T.E. and I really loved that book. Like, really fucking loved it. If I could marry the book, I would.[/QUOTE]

Well, it is a damn good book. Intresting to compare Immonen's art then and now.

Cartoon Network sucks at supporting shows that aren't called Gumball, Adventure Time or Regular Show. I'm even surprised that Young Justice lasted this long before they tried nothing and gave up.

Started reading the Dark tower comics. I don't really like the writing. Would prefer if it were just Jae Lee's pencils, but I feel it is a series I should read.

[quote name='slowdive21']Started reading the Dark tower comics. I don't really like the writing. Would prefer if it were just Jae Lee's pencils, but I feel it is a series I should read.[/QUOTE]

I dropped it after Vol 3. Loved the art, but the story put me to sleep and it was odd to read.

[quote name='TooMuchCoolness']I bought my first ever comic, it was Iron Man #1. I shouldve gotten All New X-Men[/QUOTE]

You should have consulted us first and we would've all told you how bad Gillen's writing and Land's pencils are on the book. :cool: But hey, more readers, so that is a plus.

[quote name='GhostShark']
EDIT: Rodimus mentioned Nextwave: Agents of H.A.T.E. and I really loved that book. Like, really fucking loved it. If I could marry the book, I would.[/QUOTE]
Nextwave is my most favorite book ever. Seriously. fucking amazing on every level.

[quote name='CaptainJoel']Nextwave is my most favorite book ever. Seriously. fucking amazing on every level.[/QUOTE]

I remember stumbling across it somewhere and thinking it sounded interesting but I haven't looked into actually purchasing it yet, but with both you and GhostShark really praising it I'll probably consider doing so.

[quote name='GhostShark']But hey, more readers, so that is a plus.[/QUOTE]

Speaking of new readers, I actually think I've gotten my sister into comics, although she doesn't post on CAG (her not being that into video games). For Christmas I got her a couple of the Fables deluxe books since she loves fairy tale type stories and having just started that series somewhat recently I knew it was totally awesome, I don't think she's managed to get to reading those yet, but I'm still convinced she's really going to enjoy them.

But for her birthday which isn't long after Christmas I decided to get her some X-Men comics since she was saying she was kind of interested to read about them since she really likes and enjoys the characters but she's never read a comic about them. So I got her the first TPB of Wolverine & The X-Men, since I really enjoyed the start of that story (although I haven't been all that impressed with where it's gone recently but the last issue was decent) and she read and said she thought it was good, but I also got her all of the current issues of All-New X-Men and due to her being fairly busy she didn't have a chance to read them until just recently but she told me she thought they were really awesome and she might actually look into getting the issues of it as they come out. :D

[quote name='CaptainJoel']Nextwave is my most favorite book ever. Seriously. fucking amazing on every level.[/QUOTE]

Two high recommendations? I'm sold. Will put it on my list.

I'm finally catching up on some Marvel NOW. Keep in mind I've only read one issue of each aside from Uncanny Avengers and Thunderbolts.

Avengers - Decent. Nothing too special, but I do like me some Avengers so I'll likely keep reading for quite a while.

Captain America - A little mixed on this and don't really know if I'll keep reading for the entirety of it. It was okay, but I don't feel like it's pulling me back in to read more.

Deadpool - As much as I love Deadpool, I was underwhelmed by the first issue. Some parts were funny, but it wasn't anything special.

Secret Avengers - Not a huge fan of the story or Black Panther for that matter, but it was somewhat enjoyable.

Superior Spider-Man - As hesitant as I was about this after the controversial ASM ending, I really feel like Dan Slott knows what he's doing and he'll pull through. It'll be weird getting adjusted to this, but I have high hopes.

Thunderbolts - Bleh. I cannot stand the art and am glad they're making some changes to this series. I liked the initial issue and the premise from that point on, but when will they start to actually TEAM up? I get that they're anti-heroes and whatnot and thus won't get along all that well, but what's the point of making a team-up book and then hardly have them work together?

Uncanny Avengers - This is probably my favorite NOW book so far. Definitely excited about the choice of villain and I like where the plot is going.

Obviously still need to read Thor, Hulk, Iron Man, all the X-Men books, and a few others, but yeah, this is what I've read so far.

Young Justice cancelled, along with Green Lantern. Yet they're bring back Teen Titans as some cutesy comedy show, plus there is that likely to be horrible new Batman show.

I just don't get it, they build this entire block up around DC comics based shows, and completely screw it up. They ever wonder if maybe people had a hard time figuring out when the fuck YJ was on? I mean damn, it's like they wanted it to fail.

[quote name='icebeast']I remember stumbling across it somewhere and thinking it sounded interesting but I haven't looked into actually purchasing it yet, but with both you and GhostShark really praising it I'll probably consider doing so.
[/QUOTE]
That's good! I think you'd love it, Icebeezy!

[quote name='Rodimus']Well, it is a damn good book. Intresting to compare Immonen's art then and now.[/QUOTE]
Indubitably. Immonen is the David Bowie of comic book art.

[quote name='bhk']Two high recommendations? I'm sold. Will put it on my list.[/QUOTE]
Sweetness. :cool:

[quote name='Clak']Young Justice cancelled, along with Green Lantern. Yet they're bring back Teen Titans as some cutesy comedy show, plus there is that likely to be horrible new Batman show.

I just don't get it, they build this entire block up around DC comics based shows, and completely screw it up. They ever wonder if maybe people had a hard time figuring out when the fuck YJ was on? I mean damn, it's like they wanted it to fail.[/QUOTE]
They did want it to fail because its main demographic was teens/young adults. Everyone I know that was even half interested in the show was over the age of 19 and I'm willing to bet that was pretty much the norm everywhere so they went ahead and decided to sabotage it by giving it the same ever-evolving time slot treatment that Fox gave Family Guy when it was originally on. The only reason Titans is getting to come back is because they can at least hit that kawaii anime lovin' youngster crowd and they'll most likely eat up the toys and plushies they'll inevitably sell around the show.

Now, with what they've done to YJ, I'm betting they'll do the same thing to the new Batman show since it seems to be darker and geared to the older crowd. I honestly won't miss it though, it looks pretty shitty so far. And I may catch heat for it, but I'm actually pretty excited to see new episodes of Teen Titans (big fan of the original show). Those little mini episodes they were showing were pretty good. I have high hopes that the full episodes will be more of the same.

[quote name='detectiveconan16']Most characters Jim Lee draws, especially the X-Men, looks Asian to me too. But I'm not complaining.[/QUOTE]

I originally thought so, too, until I read Mutant Genesis a few years back (on one of the book's million reprints) and really, only Jubile and Psylocke look super asian. Because, well, they are asian.

I prefer his newer art, even though it is fewer and more far between, but it is so good.

[quote name='CaptainJoel']That's good! I think you'd love it, Icebeezy!

Indubitably. Immonen is the David Bowie of comic book art.

Sweetness. :cool:

They did want it to fail because its main demographic was teens/young adults. Everyone I know that was even half interested in the show was over the age of 19 and I'm willing to bet that was pretty much the norm everywhere so they went ahead and decided to sabotage it by giving it the same ever-evolving time slot treatment that Fox gave Family Guy when it was originally on. The only reason Titans is getting to come back is because they can at least hit that kawaii anime lovin' youngster crowd and they'll most likely eat up the toys and plushies they'll inevitably sell around the show.

Now, with what they've done to YJ, I'm betting they'll do the same thing to the new Batman show since it seems to be darker and geared to the older crowd. I honestly won't miss it though, it looks pretty shitty so far. And I may catch heat for it, but I'm actually pretty excited to see new episodes of Teen Titans (big fan of the original show). Those little mini episodes they were showing were pretty good. I have high hopes that the full episodes will be more of the same.[/QUOTE]
If they'd kept Titans the same as it was before it might have been ok, but from what I can tell the new one is going to be horrible. It's a shame, I had really started liking GL, and I'd always liked YJ.

I was kind of disappointed when I heard teen titans wasn't going to be like it used to.

I'm getting tired of hearing about the Justice League movie on the internet. Everybody thinks its going to bomb because they aren't doing everything that marvel did, which is somehting I'd want them not to do. I'm done origin stories.

[quote name='moon_knight']I was kind of disappointed when I heard teen titans wasn't going to be like it used to.

I'm getting tired of hearing about the Justice League movie on the internet. Everybody thinks its going to bomb because they aren't doing everything that marvel did, which is somehting I'd want them not to do. I'm done origin stories.[/QUOTE]

My problem is the rumored villain
Darkseid
. Feels like they are jumping to one of the two biggest bads in the DC Universe. Only villain that might outdo him is the Anti Monitor.

Invincible #100 was a nice little twist after twist... That and I think Ryan Ottley is possibly my favorite artist right now since he draws so much life into the characters and does amazing splash pages, which makes it all the more painful when you see him draw the characters you've grown to care for get brutally maimed.

And Batman and Robin Annual kinda proves to me once more that Tomasi knows how to write a relationship with Damian and Bruce better then Morrison can ever hope to accomplish.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='TooMuchCoolness']Tony Stark looks asian in Iron Man #1[/QUOTE]

Well, that works out since the Mandarin in Iron Man 3 isn't even played by an Asian (much less a Chinese actor). Chow Yun-Fat was screwed.

[quote name='bardockkun']Invincible #100 was a nice little twist after twist... That and I think Ryan Ottley is possibly my favorite artist right now since he draws so much life into the characters and does amazing splash pages, which makes it all the more painful when you see him draw the characters you've grown to care for get brutally maimed.

And Batman and Robin Annual kinda proves to me once more that Tomasi knows how to write a relationship with Damian and Bruce better then Morrison can ever hope to accomplish.[/QUOTE]
I don't think Morrison's focus is on their relationship, though.. I've always felt it was more about the singular characters and their thoughts than what they mean to each other. It feels like each story is just a part of the whole.

[quote name='CaptainJoel']I don't think Morrison's focus is on their relationship, though.. I've always felt it was more about the singular characters and their thoughts than what they mean to each other. It feels like each story is just a part of the whole.[/QUOTE]
My problem with Morrison's take on Damian is since the beginning he made the character feel so one dimensional of just angry, rebellious youth with father issues. Other writers have done a much better job with the Damian and Bruce dynamic (and Damien in general) that when reading recent issues of Batman Inc. it just feels so one dimensional and characters going through motions of a story. It was simply never expanded after what happened in "Batman & Son", which doesn't bode well in getting my interest with Bruce sending him back to Talia and them wanting me to care, but it feels more like two random characters I barely know.

I Think if anything me typing this just kind of comes off as a rant of my dislike of Morrison's writing on Batman in general. Just the feeling of all the characters in the Morrison version of the Bat universe don't belong in a Batman book. Though I did enjoy Dick Grayson as Batman with Damian oddly enough.

[quote name='bardockkun']My problem with Morrison's take on Damian is since the beginning he made the character feel so one dimensional of just angry, rebellious youth with father issues. Other writers have done a much better job with the Damian and Bruce dynamic (and Damien in general) that when reading recent issues of Batman Inc. it just feels so one dimensional and characters going through motions of a story. It was simply never expanded after what happened in "Batman & Son", which doesn't bode well in getting my interest with Bruce sending him back to Talia and them wanting me to care, but it feels more like two random characters I barely know.

I Think if anything me typing this just kind of comes off as a rant of my dislike of Morrison's writing on Batman in general. Just the feeling of all the characters in the Morrison version of the Bat universe don't belong in a Batman book. Though I did enjoy Dick Grayson as Batman with Damian oddly enough.[/QUOTE]
Oooh, well if you don't like Morrison then I totally understand why you wouldn't like it. I would probably worship at a Morrison shrine daily if I could. I've always felt like his Batman stuff is the epitome of each of the characters. Everything just feels so right when I think about it. That likely somewhat stems from my taste in the weird, though.

Tomasi does do a beautiful job on the Batman and Robin stuff. I love pretty much everything that's being put out in the Batverse right now aside from whichever book it is that Hitch is on. Blech.

[quote name='batman1939']Damn it. I never knew what time it was on either but always DVRed it. Is it on DVD yet or just those volumes with a couple of episodes? I wonder if they will have time to finish the story at least. And some of those DC shorts would be some cool special features.[/QUOTE]
Season one is out and season two will likely be out once it's finished airing. Probably won't have time to finish the story, but the comic book will hopefully tie up the loose ends.

[quote name='CaptainJoel']Oooh, well if you don't like Morrison then I totally understand why you wouldn't like it. I would probably worship at a Morrison shrine daily if I could. I've always felt like his Batman stuff is the epitome of each of the characters. Everything just feels so right when I think about it. That likely somewhat stems from my taste in the weird, though.

Tomasi does do a beautiful job on the Batman and Robin stuff. I love pretty much everything that's being put out in the Batverse right now aside from whichever book it is that Hitch is on. Blech.[/QUOTE]
Oh don't get me wrong, I do enjoy some Morrison stuff. All Star Superman is easily the best Superman anything I've ever read and stuff like his JLA and Invisibles is fantastic, but if you were to have me explain to you the events of Final Crisis after I had read them and all the crossovers, I'd merely just laugh and try and think and come up blank as to what the fuck I just read. Just sometimes it starts good then he goes in over his head with linking this to that or merely making one panel into something that could be the focus of a whole issue. It's just, to me Batman is a man in a suit who's paranoid, that's all, not part of some universal balance where the Joker is basically playing the part of Oracle from The Matrix. It just gets too heady and not in the comfort realm of Batman for me.

I Think only thing Batverse I'm not reading besides Inc. now is Batwing, merely because I loathe Judd Winick's writing style.

Oh and this is still the epitomy of terrible Batman stories (hint: It's not All Star Batman):
odyssey-train-shooting.jpg

odyssey-bruce-face-1299211542.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
You know, I've never really been a big fan of the Fantastic Four, but man I am loving the latest Fantastic Four and Future Foundation series. They flow together very nicely and have some interesting and fresh stories going on right now. I don't particularly care for the art in Future Foundation, but I love it in Fantastic Four. Good stuff.

I also really enjoyed the first issues of both Iron Man and Indestructible Hulk. I like this Banner and I really hope Maria Hill sticks around as a prominent character. If I didn't know any better, I'd think Tony Stark was Asian. Aside from that, I enjoyed the story and I'll keep reading for a while.

[quote name='bardockkun']Oh don't get me wrong, I do enjoy some Morrison stuff. All Star Superman is easily the best Superman anything I've ever read and stuff like his JLA and Invisibles is fantastic, but if you were to have me explain to you the events of Final Crisis after I had read them and all the crossovers, I'd merely just laugh and try and think and come up blank as to what the fuck I just read. Just sometimes it starts good then he goes in over his head with linking this to that or merely making one panel into something that could be the focus of a whole issue. It's just, to me Batman is a man in a suit who's paranoid, that's all, not part of some universal balance where the Joker is basically playing the part of Oracle from The Matrix. It just gets too heady and not in the comfort realm of Batman for me.

I Think only thing Batverse I'm not reading besides Inc. now is Batwing, merely because I loathe Judd Winick's writing style.

Oh and this is still the epitomy of terrible Batman stories (hint: It's not All Star Batman):
odyssey-train-shooting.jpg

odyssey-bruce-face-1299211542.jpg
[/QUOTE]
Odyssey is the biggest pile of shit next to anything Batman-related Kevin Smith has done.

Thank You, Jonathan Hickman, for making Hyperion relevant again. I know it's not the same old Hyperion, but I've loved the character since JMS's amazing Supreme Power series. Another solid Avengers issue.

Also good this week:

Mara #2 - I'm not really sure what it is about this book, but I love it. It could be the mystery surrounding the protagonist, or it could be the amazing art work.

Journey Into Mystery - I only bought this book because I

[quote name='neocisco']Well, that works out since the Mandarin in Iron Man 3 isn't even played by an Asian (much less a Chinese actor). Chow Yun-Fat was screwed.[/QUOTE]
Isn't that some bullshit? I mean Kingsley is a great actor, but he's there for name recognition.

[quote name='Clak']Isn't that some bullshit? I mean Kingsley is a great actor, but he's there for name recognition.[/QUOTE]
But the thing is in the Iron Man films the Mandarin can't be Asian because Tony isn't kidnapped in Vietnam like back in the old days of the 60's. It's even established way beforehand or hinted at that he won't be Asian since Tony was kidnapped in the first movie in the very beginning by a terrorist group called The Ten Rings.

So... White Collar's Matthew Bomer is going to be the voice of Superman in the superhero's next direct to video outing. It's kinda weird to hear a usually slick tongued actor play this quite serious boy scout character, but it's fine. Now I want to see Tim Dekay his Lex Luthor if they make a sequel to this one.

I've always wondered, are these movies part of the same universe or for each one they make they just make another Earth XXAG that will be annihilated by DC Comics.

[quote name='icebeast']See, I'm kind of the opposite, I loved the whole Kid Loki arc, and this new one just hasn't really gripped me yet. I think my biggest issue is that none of the characters so far are even remotely relatable for me, especially Sif who is basically just a roid-ragging monster. I mean obviously the Kid Loki arc had plenty of fantastic parts and characters but there were still plenty of moments where Loki and Leah were really humanized and so far I haven't felt like there is a shard of humanity in Sif's character, which I guess is intended(?), but it isn't something I really enjoy reading.[/QUOTE]

I'm loving it because, well mostly because, it's from the perspective of a woman. And Asgard doesn't quite respect their women as powerful (in the strength and physique sense) and that drove her to do something drastic. Obviously not everyone is going to relate to that, but that doesn't mean that she isn't a fantastic character. Asgard has always been the Thor and Loki show, and it is finally nice to see a change of pace with JIM. I guess I should add that I don't really care for Kid Loki. And in my opinion, Loki was at his best as a female, which was just an extension of his masculinity.

Kid Loki has a few cheap laughs and sarcastic lines, but outside of that, there isn't much there. And I don't see that changing in a team book such as Young Avengers.

[quote name='bardockkun']Oh don't get me wrong, I do enjoy some Morrison stuff. All Star Superman is easily the best Superman anything I've ever read and stuff like his JLA and Invisibles is fantastic, but if you were to have me explain to you the events of Final Crisis after I had read them and all the crossovers, I'd merely just laugh and try and think and come up blank as to what the fuck I just read. Just sometimes it starts good then he goes in over his head with linking this to that or merely making one panel into something that could be the focus of a whole issue. It's just, to me Batman is a man in a suit who's paranoid, that's all, not part of some universal balance where the Joker is basically playing the part of Oracle from The Matrix. It just gets too heady and not in the comfort realm of Batman for me.

[/QUOTE]

Final Crisis is a great concept and really strong for the first three issues. But it fell apart after that, and made little sense.

bread's done
Back