Comic Book Discussion Thread (Marvel, DC, Image, Dark Horse, Top Cow, IDW, Indy, etc)

I'm helping out with it so I'll be there all weekend, though I think I'm just going to get things signed by her if anything.

I Did get to meet Mike and Laura Allred last year and they were cooler then I could ever imagine.

Finally got around to reading Batman Inc. #7 and #8 and well...got to admit I liked it. I Liked it alot. I Think more then anything it felt like an actual Crisis event except in this case it just focused on the specific universe of Batman and shit actually happens. Since now shit is crazy hitting the fan everywhere and not everyone will make it out okay. So kudos Morrison, I'm on board again. Besides that, time to go into spoiler territory
now I'm eager to see the fallout from all this especially with Alfred who basically gave the okay for him to go and fight. Damian's death was alot more graphic then I expected it to be, I didn't think he'd get one giant splash page of pain of getting shot with arrows, back broken and all leading up to him getting impaled with a sword. Nevermind the fact that he's goddamn 10 years old! Though I'm torn on Bruce's predicament of trapped in a safe since for once in A LONG TIME it gave Bruce a human predicament or a reminder that he's just a man. Though it's still odd since...well, I've gotten so use to Batman being near superhuman.

I was in my comic shop recently, and I saw the cover to Revival #6 and that thought it was one of the most intriguing and sexiest covers out there, so I bought the first TBP and issues 6 and 7. After reading the TBP, I love this series. I wasn't really a huge fan of Tim Seeley before this, but hot damn, he knocks it out of the park here.

[quote name='Clak']I tried earlier and the damn app keeps saying I have no internet connection. Nice job Marvel.[/QUOTE]

Tried the app on my Android phone, and got the same message.

Tried on the computer to add the comics, and can't even access the site.

*sigh*

They seem to be getting hammered. Why is it that these companies can never even get close to anticipating demand for promotions like this? You'd think they assumed nobody would take advantage of it.

Sooo Batman: Year Zero, I'm guessing this is what was hinted at in Batman #0. So I'm guessing this will be tying things in like Court of Owls into the mythos now.

I love coming here and asking for suggestions. It has led to some great series.

Speaking of which, I heard The Boys came to an end. Anyone know when a collection of all their trades will be hitting the market? I want to buy all of them but I'd rather not have to pay $200+ for them.

[quote name='GhostShark']I was in my comic shop recently, and I saw the cover to Revival #6 and that thought it was one of the most intriguing and sexiest covers out there, so I bought the first TBP and issues 6 and 7. After reading the TBP, I love this series. I wasn't really a huge fan of Tim Seeley before this, but hot damn, he knocks it out of the park here.[/QUOTE]

I've been following it since it started, and I'm still not sure what I really think about the series. I mean the idea behind the plot is really interesting and the characters are interesting, but I kind of feel like the plot hasn't really begun to go anywhere yet. I actually kind of feel the same way about Avengers right now, the first arc was alright, but overall it feels like nothing is really happening, and it also feels like the main thing the characters have to overcome is kind of feeling too similar to the one happening in New Avengers with which I think is doing a better job of keeping each issue interesting.

I expect Avengers to change a bit when Nick Spencer starts to co-write the book with Hickman, but yeah, I agree that it does feel a lot like New Avengers.

Speaking of great Image comics, Mind The Gap #8 was amazing. Even though it often gets delayed a month or two, it doesn't seem to suffer from the delays. And it's a pretty damn good mystery that is slowly unraveling at a decent pace, unlike Morning Glories, which I have dropped.

Age of Ultron #2 was also pretty damn good. Hitch's pencils with the scenes and destruction really drive the book. And I might be in the minority here, but after two issues, I think Bendis is throwing it back to how he wrote books back around Avengers Disassembled and House of M. And that is awesome.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='GhostShark']
Age of Ultron #2 was also pretty damn good. Hitch's pencils with the scenes and destruction really drive the book. And I might be in the minority here, but after two issues, I think Bendis is throwing it back to how he wrote books back around Avengers Disassembled and House of M.[/QUOTE]
Ugh, now I'm really glad I didn't pick it up. Those are two of my most hated things Bendis has done and was basically everything I hate about big Marvel events.

Otherwise, Batman and Robin #18 was fucking fantastic. Silent issue going with the fallout of Damian's death, but the art and layouts made me love Pat Gleason's artwork alot more.

[quote name='GhostShark']Huh, really? Those were everything I loved about big marvel events. I guess to each his own, I suppose.[/QUOTE]
I Think my main problem is Bendis to me is always fantastic writing comics where the focus is on one person (Ultimate Spidey, Scarlet, Daredevil), but his team and crossover books always seem so slow in build up and the pay off is never worth it. I Keep hearing fantastic things about his new X-Men, but I've just been scorned so many times over by that man that I know I can't read it without some bias. Not attacking you in anyway, but just explaining my motives and not coming from a place of purely blind nerd rage.

Oh, yeah, I totally understand. And I actually agree that his solo character books are amazing. I'm still rather upset that Spider-Woman and Moon Knight (Alex Maleev is awesome) got canned before they should have been. There is some of that in Age of Ultron. Even though you see many characters on the pages, each of the first two issues focuses only on 2-3 of them.

And speaking of Alex Maleev, he did a few pages at the end of this Batman #18. His Harper Row is fucking beautiful and the last panel with Batman is just amazing.

Yeah, I was surprised to see Maleev doing anything DC (let alone last few pages of Batman) since his long hiatus in between Scarlet and him just mostly been doing covers. Though I'm still curious as to what's going to happen to Harper Row. I Like her character alot, but the way she's so grounded into the ghetto area of Gotham and how it's developed her kinda prefer she stay in Gotham as Oracle for Batman and not so much as Robin.

She already has the technical savvy to Oracle, but I have a feeling they're going to make her the next Robin. And honestly, I don't think we really need a Robin. Then again, I only read Scott Snyder's Batman, so I never really saw much of Damian or any other former Robins all that much.

I'm so far digging the All New X-men, even though I wasn't really keen on another Jean Grey popping up in the Marvel Universe. I'm mostly interested in young Angel. Seeing him trying to figure out why the current Angel is acting like he has ADD and has the IQ of a pet rock. Everyone else knows what happens to their future selves except for him and nobody seems to really feel like telling him.

Hopefully soon he will learn how to use them new fangled computers and look up all about having his wings torn off, becoming one of Apocalypse's horsemen and finally becoming becoming Apoc and trying to destroy humanity. Also the fact he goes from getting to hook up with Psylocke to becoming somesort of asexual brain damaged twelve year old. That will be a good issue.

Also seeing the new Angel does kind of sadden. The Dark Angel Saga was probably the best Marvel thing I've ever read and now we are stuck with this current Angel.

[quote name='GhostShark']She already has the technical savvy to Oracle, but I have a feeling they're going to make her the next Robin. And honestly, I don't think we really need a Robin. Then again, I only read Scott Snyder's Batman, so I never really saw much of Damian or any other former Robins all that much.[/QUOTE]
I Think it's kind of jumping the gun by making her Robin. I Do kind of hope it's a misdirect in a way with what they're implying, I think it'd be cool if she's just like Oracle, but also provides Batman with new gadgets and what not.

And if you ever get the chance I say give Batman and Robin a try. It definitely made me appreciate the progression of Damian from a brat into someone who wants his father's approval and love. Also like I said before, Pat Gleason's art in it is fantastic and so full of energy.

All-Star Superman is the one of the best comics out there. It doesn't even matter that it's Superman. You should check that out (and the subsequent animated film) if you enjoy Red Son. Superman: Earth One is also pretty decent, though a bit generic. Along with Death of Superman and Red Son, that's all I've really read of Supes.

No mention of All Star Superman? For shame. That is one of the best (if not THE best) Superman titles ever. Otherwise Superman: For All Seasons was another good read, so was the Geoff Johns run of Superman and the Alan Moore stories ("Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow" and "For The Man Who Has Everything").

Dave Batista (former Doubl-U Doubl-U E champion) will be playing Drax the Destroyer in Guardians of the Galaxy. Not bad. He won't have many lines and looks the part.

8 Issues into Hickman's Avengers and I still don't know what he's trying to do. The pacing for all the issues just feel off to me as in I don't know if they're trying to assemble a team, focus on the threat from the first few issues or what. I Can't find a solid ground in where it's trying to go.

Hickman's New Avengers though, holy crap. For a team full of big names it feels like everyone is well represented and even with lack of any real action, the build up in how they're going to solve saving their Earth is fantastic. The Recent issue with them still trying to be heroes, despite the terrible things they might have to do is great.

I don't get Hickman's Avengers either. On the plus side it has a direction. I'd like to think he knows what he's doing and the it'll get amazing soon. His build up on FF was well worth it so I'll stick with this book.

[quote name='GhostShark']Dave Batista (former Doubl-U Doubl-U E champion) will be playing Drax the Destroyer in Guardians of the Galaxy. Not bad. He won't have many lines and looks the part.[/QUOTE]

I thought the same thing. Drax doesn't talk a lot so I'm okay with this. Plus he's got those ridiculus neck muscles

BatAngryLost6.jpg

MUST KILL THANOS

I think all of what Hickman is doing in Avengers and New Avengers (both were pretty awesome this week) is all leading towards the "Infinity" event in the latter half of the year. But because of Age of Ultron, he has to somewhat draw it out until June/July.

Also, this week's Saga was, and pardon the cliche here, one extremely emotional roller coaster. The more I see Fiona Staples' pencils, the more I love them.

Speaking of Drax, Guardians of the Galaxy launches next week, and if it is even half as good as the Point One issue, it will be amazing. I also need to go back to my shop because I forgot to buy Captain Marvel this week.

East of West #1 was amazing this week I was not sure about this series at first, but it will now go on my pull list. I'm intrigued and the main character is a badass.

Anyone still reading Superior Spider-Man I did not care for the first two issues, but I think it has really picked up and the ghost is no longer annoying me. I'm enjoying the fuck it attitude. Also hoping Uncanny Avengers picks up soon.

Just read through Sex, Batman Incorporated #8(first issue and last, unless someone really recommends #9), Guardians of the Galaxy, Nova, Uncanny Avengers #4. I'm enjoying the cosmic stuff from Marvel, looking forward to see what Jason Aaron bring with Thanos Rising.

The Injustice tie in comic is one of the rare times a tie in comic doesn't suck and actually gets me excited. Only downside is Captain Cold has one of the worst fucking redesigns ever. Armored winter wear is one of the dumbest things ever.

[quote name='bardockkun']The Injustice tie in comic is one of the rare times a tie in comic doesn't suck and actually gets me excited. Only downside is Captain Cold has one of the worst fucking redesigns ever. Armored winter wear is one of the dumbest things ever.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, I completely agree. The art of the comic is pretty blah too. The coloring is pretty off most of the time too now that I think about it.

[quote name='CaptainJoel']Yeah, I completely agree. The art of the comic is pretty blah too. The coloring is pretty off most of the time too now that I think about it.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, Lois is a redhead in the first half of the first issue before going back to black hair. I Thought it was Lana even after he said Lois, but the artist in the second half of the third issue is awesome. I Wish they had maintained that style as opposed to Batman having pupils randomly and me not knowing if they're trying to draw Hal Jordan or Kyle Rayner when they show a Green Lantern.

Harley's conversation with Green Arrow did help make up for it though.

[quote name='bardockkun']Yeah, Lois is a redhead in the first half of the first issue before going back to black hair. I Thought it was Lana even after he said Lois, but the artist in the second half of the third issue is awesome. I Wish they had maintained that style as opposed to Batman having pupils randomly and me not knowing if they're trying to draw Hal Jordan or Kyle Rayner when they show a Green Lantern.

Harley's conversation with Green Arrow did help make up for it though.[/QUOTE]
YES! That whole issue with Harley and Green Arrow is amazing. I hope there's moments like that in the game.

[quote name='Rodimus']Got Red Son in the mail today. This will be my first Superman book.[/QUOTE]

Red Son is an excellent story, but you need to read All Star Superman. Best Superman story out there. If you could afford the Absolute All Star Superman get it. Try purchasing it at cheapgraphicnovels.com.

[quote name='Dante Devil']Red Son is an excellent story, but you need to read All Star Superman. Best Superman story out there. If you could afford the Absolute All Star Superman get it. Try purchasing it at cheapgraphicnovels.com.[/QUOTE]

I have the cartoon qued up on Netflix. Would that suffice?

[quote name='Rodimus']I have the cartoon qued up on Netflix. Would that suffice?[/QUOTE]
It's missing the part where Superman goes to Bizarro, which was like 2 or 3 issues and they changed up the ending a bit as well in terms of how he defeats the threat. Plus no cartoon can match up to Frank Quitley's artwork so definitely read the book.

I'll see if they have it at my library next time I go.

Just watched Return of the Dark Knight Part 1 & 2. DC animated stuff is always a good time. I never read the comic, but I have to say I'm not a fan of this version of the Joker.

[quote name='Rodimus']I'll see if they have it at my library next time I go.

Just watched Return of the Dark Knight Part 1 & 2. DC animated stuff is always a good time. I never read the comic, but I have to say I'm not a fan of this version of the Joker.[/QUOTE]

The comic is so much better than the movie. Joker is much more maniacal in the series, especially in the scene where he at the talk show.

[quote name='GhostShark']The movie is amazing, but it pales in comparison to the comic.[/QUOTE]
True.

[quote name='bardockkun']It's missing the part where Superman goes to Bizarro, which was like 2 or 3 issues and they changed up the ending a bit as well in terms of how he defeats the threat. Plus no cartoon can match up to Frank Quitley's artwork so definitely read the book.[/QUOTE]
It's also missing all that awesome shit with Jimmy and the Supermen Beyond! I love Jimmy Olsen, so the book is a must read.

[quote name='Rodimus']I'll see if they have it at my library next time I go.

Just watched Return of the Dark Knight Part 1 & 2. DC animated stuff is always a good time. I never read the comic, but I have to say I'm not a fan of this version of the Joker.[/QUOTE]
He's weirder in the comic. I wasn't too fond of him when I was a kid, but I've grown to like that version of the Joker. He's very snazzy.

[quote name='CaptainJoel']

It's also missing all that awesome shit with Jimmy and the Supermen Beyond! I love Jimmy Olsen, so the book is a must read.
[/QUOTE]
I Can't believe I forgot about that. Loved how Jimmy has to stop Superman. That book is literally the iconic Superman book since even a bit of a shout out to Electro Blue Supes within the first issue.

I Still prefer J.H.Williams' stuff or any of the Fables covers, but Quitely does do the best interpretation of Clark Kent beyond anyone else. From the facial expressions, to the physique so he's hunched over, that man knows his shit in terms of making Superman and Clark Kent feel like more then just a pair of glasses.

[quote name='Dante Devil']The comic is so much better than the movie. Joker is much more maniacal in the series, especially in the scene where he at the talk show.[/QUOTE]

It might have been the voice actor (voiced by Ben Linus from Lost) It just didn't have that Joker feel and sound. Still, either way a I enjoyed it as I most always do with DC animated stuff.

Shame Marvel can't even get close to DC's stuff. They cancelled the best thing going for them in Avengers EMH. That show was getting epic.

[quote name='Rodimus']Shame Marvel can't even get close to DC's stuff. They cancelled the best thing going for them in Avengers EMH. That show was getting epic.[/QUOTE]

This has always bothered me. Marvel has been able to really knock down the live-action films, minus the properties they don't have the movie rights for anymore, have been fairly consistent and even the ones they don't have a higher percentage of good than bad but just barely. They just can't seem to keep a good quality animated show. When they do, they get rid of it. They really don't have much on the straight to dvd animated movie market either. I can only name 7 off of the top of my head: Ultimate Avengers 1&2, two Hulk Vs. movies, Planet Hulk, Doctor Strange and Next Avengers.

DC has the opposite where the movies have been all over the charts in quality. With them being developed in separate corners so now they are trying to do a Justice League move it'll be interesting to see what/where they pull from. Their animated shows/movies have almost always been top notch however. I'd say a lot of that had to do with Bruce Timm producing a good quality set early on and it was just built on from there. Of course lately, DC has been getting rocked around by Cartoon Network not knowing what they are doing with animated shows, but the features typically are always great quality and they seem to release around 2-3 a year.

I'm expecting one of the next things we'll get is a Young Justice DCAU movie to tie up loose ends. Maybe even bounce the Judas Contract into it to make up for the ri-goddamn-diculously long cook time its movie adaptation has had. It'd be nice to see something like that.

Also, the new Avengers show is supposedly sticking to EMH's canon, so I have a little hope that it'll still be good. I'm having some fun with Ultimate Spidey. It's not as good as SHS, but it does fit a lot of silver age references in that I find hilarious.

bread's done
Back