Comic Book Discussion Thread (Marvel, DC, Image, Dark Horse, Top Cow, IDW, Indy, etc)

[quote name='4thHorseman']I keep hearing ramblings of a Flash movie, but nothing has come out of those ramblings yet. Same with that Lobo movie.

But actually in some sort of stage? Nope. Think the Man of Steel movie will dictate that.[/QUOTE]
Well, that's kinda disheartening. The Lobo movie I keep hearing on again, off again. Last I heard they wanted The Rock to be Lobo *shudder* and the script synopsis of Lobo being stranded on Earth and teaming up with what basically equates to a "Hot Topic goth" teenage girl to help him find some bounties out in Arizona did not give me any hope. That and the aim for PG-13.

[quote name='Broseph']
What's a good Spidey title? I always liked Spider Man. I lost track of him shortly before the Brand New Day debacle.
[/QUOTE]
Literally the last good Spidey title I read that was good was probably Spider-men. It's when the Ultimate version of Spider-man that replaced that universe's Peter Parker meets the Peter Parker of the main 616 Marvel universe. Really good dialogue and no gimmicky Doc Ock in Peter Parker stuff that's happening right now.

[quote name='Broseph']
When the All New XMen and Uncanny stories wrap - will they cancel one book or the other? Any idea where that is heading? I'll probably head where I like the most team members regardless but I'm just curious what the game plan is there. Has Marvel said yet?

What's a good Spidey title? I always liked Spider Man. I lost track of him shortly before the Brand New Day debacle.

Thanks in advance![/QUOTE]

Marvel hasn't said anything about All New X-Men or Uncanny X-Men ending yet.

If you're a fan of young characters learning their way around, the new-ish Ultimate Spider-Man is really good. Miles Morales is a really compelling character and it's great to see him become a hero. The art is always on-point, and the writing is solid. Don't worry if you haven't read any Ultimate Marvel stuff, it's really accessible and worth reading. And once you get into issue 13 or 14 or so, take a break and read the Spider-Mn miniseries, which bardockkun mentioned above. It's some surprisingly emotional reading.

I picked up a large chunk of Amazing Spider-Man's "Big Time" stories written by Dn Slott several months ago, and thought it was/is great. These are the first 616 Spider-Man stories I've read, so I can't compare them to past ones, but I really enjoy them. Highlights are probably the first arc, Big Time, and the two big Spider-events: Spider-Island and Ends of the Earth. Really enjoyable stuff!

I really like Superior Spider-Man. I don't know if I would recommend it to a new reader, but for what it's worth a buddy of mine just got back into comics and he seems to enjoy it. It's got a very hard concept to swallow, but if allow yourself to just accept it for what it is then you have a very enjoyable read.

Anyone go pick up anything on Free Comic Book Day? I'm interested in the Walking Dead one but didn't want to wake up early and sit in a line since I'm sure that one will be the most popular. I might check out a store later this afternoon but I'm not expecting them to have much left.

[quote name='Dante Devil']The comic book store is so lame here. Only 2 comics per customer.[/QUOTE]

Better than the 1 per customer at my LCS. I have to travel 70 miles just to go to a good store.

[quote name='4thHorseman']But actually in some sort of stage? Nope. Think the Man of Steel movie will dictate that.[/QUOTE]

Pretty much. If Man of Steel is a homerun, you will begin to hear talks upon talks, especially about Justice League or at least World's Finest.

I just got back from my comic shop, they had bags of the free comics for adults or all-ages and then you could pick 5 additional ones from a bunch they had laid out on a table, so I ended up getting all the things I was interested in. The line was a little long but it moved quickly, and then to get the stuff I wanted to buy there was a bit of a line too, but it also moved quickly. They had 20% off all of their books for Free Comic Book day too so I picked up 4 more Fables books as well as the first book of Fairest to help support them (not that I don't already since I buy a lot of comics, haha).

Mine was 5 per hold slot member (3 for non), but I only wanted 4 anyways so got Walking Dead, Judge Dredd, Infinity, Superman and for the hell of it, Ugly Dolls. My store had a ton of Walking Dead.

It was 3 per person at my shop, but they know me, so they let me take as many as I want. I gotta say I enjoyed the Infinity issue. That classic Thanos story was fucking awesome.

I also picked up the first two issues of East of West on a whim. Good fucking lord, this is bloody amazing.

Went to the closest shop here and there was nothing. :( They have cool collectibles and such, but the guy wasn't even there. It's at the top floor of a pawn shop so it's really odd. I found some stuff I liked, but there was no one there to take my money, hah.

I am getting back into comics, so this was a drag.

So I read the last 5 issues of I, Vampire. A pretty big letdown considering how it began, and not having Andrea Sorrentino draw the book these last five issues was a huge bummer.

I'd almost rather they knew from the jump it would be a certain number of issues with Sorrentino drawing them all.

In the end it was very rushed to come to a conclusion.

Just got back from Free Comic Book Day and it was pretty cool. We snagged 12 comics between me and my 2 kids. We also bought Supergirl: Cosmic Adventures in the 8th Grade (again) and a copy of Super Family (kind of like Tiny Titans but with Superman and the Justice League). DC does a nice job at aiming towards specific age groups.

I just finished issue 7 of Justice League International and I just found out that they canceled it. Kind of a bummer - it's not great but some of the characters are pretty interesting and the premise is cool too. I thought it had potential. I really want to read more about August General In Iron and I like Godiva and Ice.

[quote name='Superstar']Went to the closest shop here and there was nothing.[/QUOTE]

Same here. Mine had nothing because they gave them to the local library to hand out. I guess they didn't want the increase in foot traffic or something? But by the time I got to that library, they had nothing left.

One thing I have noticed, it looks like the site that was doing to free Marvel 700 promo(Comixology.com) is also doing free comic book day. As it appears that some of those free comics are in their free comics section.

[quote name='Javery']
I just finished issue 7 of Justice League International and I just found out that they canceled it. [/QUOTE]

They canceled it? How many others of the 52 has DC already canceled?

I went to my local store, they had 5 comics per person rule. I went a bit late in the day, so the selection was smaller, but still solid. In fact, after about 40 miins of loitering, they pulled out some surplussed DC comics and added them to the list. I got the Mass Effect one, Walking Dead, Uncanny Avengers 1, Justice League 12, and Batman & Red Robin 19. The place was super busy and people came to celebrate in cosplay. There was an awesome Iron Patriot costume there. The store clerks/owner was wearing Deadpool and Cyclops costumes. Fun day.

I ended up going to my LCS about 4 hours after they opened. Waited an hour in line, but it was 5 books per person. Walking Dead and Judge Dredd were long gone still. I think TMNT was gone too - I didn't notice it but maybe I missed it. So that was disappointing (in regard to Walking Dead and Judge Dredd). I may not have waited had they posted that somewhere in the line. Ended up getting the 2000 AD, Mouse Guard/Rust, Bongo, Tick and Marvel Infinity issue. I bought a few single issues to throw the shop a little money since I think they have to pay something for those free comics they give away.

[quote name='tangytangerine']They canceled it? How many others of the 52 has DC already canceled?[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure but it's a few - Hawk & Dove and O.M.A.C. I'm pretty sure are done. I think Mister Terrific and Static Shock got the axe too. They have been launching new ones to replace them though like Earth 2, Batman Incorporated, Dial H, etc. They are on the "Fourth Wave" of new launches I think. I've been on quite a DC kick lately...

[quote name='tangytangerine']They canceled it? How many others of the 52 has DC already canceled?[/QUOTE]

More than a dozen.

They've replaced all of them though to keep it at 52.

A few more are getting axed soon to make way for Batman/Superman and Snyder's Superman book among others.

[quote name='Javery']I'm not sure but it's a few - Hawk & Dove and O.M.A.C. I'm pretty sure are done. I think Mister Terrific and Static Shock got the axe too. They have been launching new ones to replace them though like Earth 2, Batman Incorporated, Dial H, etc. They are on the "Fourth Wave" of new launches I think. I've been on quite a DC kick lately...[/QUOTE]

Really haven't been paying attention to the DC stuff unless it's the one's I read(Batman/Nightwing, Superman, Justice League). Did that Red Hood & the Outlaws comic get canceled too? That was the one that felt the most out of place of the initial batch to me.

But I did find it weird when that Earth 2 comic popped up. Only read the first volume graphic novel they put out, but it feels like a Justice Society comic under a different name.

Also noticed they did World's Finest w/ Power Girl & Huntress. Which I'm liking as they never really focused that much on those two in recent years.

[quote name='tangytangerine']Did that Red Hood & the Outlaws comic get canceled too?[/QUOTE]

It's still kicking around.

Here's what DC is cancelling in the next two months:

Team 7, Deathstroke, Batman Inc., The Ravagers, Hawkman, Firestorm

They're bringing in:

Batman/Superman, Superman Unchained, Larfleeze, The Green Team, Pandora, The Movement

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='tangytangerine']Also noticed they did World's Finest w/ Power Girl & Huntress. Which I'm liking as they never really focused that much on those two in recent years.[/QUOTE]

I tried World's Finest and couldn't really get into it at all even though I really enjoyed the 2009 Power Girl series as well as the New 52 Huntress mini series. The first arc just didn't pull me in at all, and the dynamic between the two characters just wasn't all that interesting (although it was kind of fine in the flashback parts). I also hated the redesign of Power Girl's outfit because it just wasn't as cool or iconic of a costume, I was fine if they wanted to take away the boob window (I think in general stuff like the single shoulder cape and the simplicity and color choices really made the costume awesome), but that didn't mean her New 52 outfit had to suck in addition to removing the boob window. And they've decided to just bring the old costume back anyways which makes the redesign seem even sillier.

Google is everyone's friend:

Second Wave
Cancellations - Blackhawks, Hawk and Dove, Men of War, Mister Terrific, O.M.A.C., and Static Shock
Additions - Batman Incorporated, Earth 2, Worlds' Finest, Dial H, G.I. Combat, The Ravagers

Third Wave
Cancellations - Justice League International, Captain Atom, Resurrection Man, and Voodoo
Additions - Talon, Sword of Sorcery, Phantom Stranger, and Team 7

Fourth Wave
Cancellations - G.I. Combat, Frankenstein: Agent of S.H.A.D.E., Grifter, Blue Beetle, and Legion Lost
Additions - Threshold, Constantine, Justice League of America, Katana, Justice League of America's Vibe

Fifth Wave:
Cancellations - I, Vampire, DC Universe Presents, Deathstroke, The Fury of Firestorm: The Nuclear Man, The Ravagers, The Savage Hawkman, Sword of Sorcery, Team 7, and Batman Incorporated
Additions - Superman Unchained, The Green Team: Teen Trillionnaires, The Movement, Larfleez, Batman/Superman, Trinity of Sin: Pandora, 3 more?

Resurrection Man's cancellation still stings me the most since I love the writing of Andy Lanning and Dan Abnett. After their work on Legion and all of Marvel's galactic stuff, they can do no wrong together. Plus Batman Inc. is merely ending it where it wants.

[quote name='bardockkun']Resurrection Man's cancellation still stings me the most since I love the writing of Andy Lanning and Dan Abnett. After their work on Legion and all of Marvel's galactic stuff, they can do no wrong together. Plus Batman Inc. is merely ending it where it wants.[/QUOTE]
I agree with this so much. God, love the hell out of Lanning and Abnett.

[quote name='CaptainJoel']I agree with this so much. God, love the hell out of Lanning and Abnett.[/QUOTE]
And goddamn reintroducing Body Doubles! Goddamn, I wish Lanning and Abnett were given a chance to give them their own title or develop them more for new 52. That and the last issue of Resurrection Man went from slowly building things up to being forced to rush out the door with all their belongings before the roof collapsed. I Mean the only positive thing I can say about that cancellation is at least they didn't get Rob Liefield to do any of the art for the last few issues.

And Injustice story mode...I liked it. A bit hokey, but when a story is based literally around the singular mechanic of getting to the next fight I thought it was well done though it would've made more sense if it was Crime Syndicate with Ultraman and Owlman or whatever, but then we wouldn't get how Joker defeated Superman.

Last edited by a moderator:
As far as I know, they haven't. It was pretty hilarious in Blackest Night how they dodged around it. I haven't really kept up with Lantern stuff since the new 52.

[quote name='bardockkun']And goddamn reintroducing Body Doubles! Goddamn, I wish Lanning and Abnett were given a chance to give them their own title or develop them more for new 52. That and the last issue of Resurrection Man went from slowly building things up to being forced to rush out the door with all their belongings before the roof collapsed. I Mean the only positive thing I can say about that cancellation is at least they didn't get Rob Liefield to do any of the art for the last few issues.

And Injustice story mode...I liked it. A bit hokey, but when a story is based literally around the singular mechanic of getting to the next fight I thought it was well done though it would've made more sense if it was Crime Syndicate with Ultraman and Owlman or whatever, but then we wouldn't get how Joker defeated Superman.[/QUOTE]
Again, I agree with all of this. I did like the story mode for Injustice, but I wish they'd talked more about what happened with Damian and Dick since that whole thing just happened in the comic and it was pretty disappointing.

[quote name='DestroVega']What is Justice League of America's Vibe? lol.

And also lolzy is Superman Unchained. Does Django have a guest shot?[/QUOTE]
JLA Vibe is a whoooole book for Vibe and it's not something I really enjoy at all. Blech.

[quote name='GhostShark']Larfleeze has needed his own book since Blackest Night. The Larfleeze Christmas Special issue was fucking awesome.[/QUOTE]
YESSS! I love the hell out of Larfleeze. He deserves his own cartoon.

[quote name='4thHorseman']Speaking of Larfleeze, have they ever given the orange oath? I know Johns has teased it for a while...[/QUOTE]
I feel like they did it before the New 52 happened, but I must be crazy because I'm looking it up online and can't find it anywhere. Whatever it is, can't wait to read it.

For you Abnett and Lanning fans, you should check Hypernaturals from Boom. The 12th and final issue ships in June and the first 3 issues plus the FCBD edition are available in trade.

If there are any Powers fans you might want to consider Suicide Risk, also from Boom. The first issue just came out this last Wednesday and it's definitely worth checking out.

[quote name='CaptainJoel']Again, I agree with all of this. I did like the story mode for Injustice, but I wish they'd talked more about what happened with Damian and Dick since that whole thing just happened in the comic and it was pretty disappointing.[/QUOTE]
I Think only the Japanese can get away with long winded 3-5 minute back story monologue during a fight. Though I was hoping it was Jason Todd since the age gap seemed about right (and the fact he was Nightwing during the One Year Later thing) and I just fucking hate Jason Todd.
[quote name='neocisco']For you Abnett and Lanning fans, you should check Hypernaturals from Boom. The 12th and final issue ships in June and the first 3 issues plus the FCBD edition are available in trade.[/QUOTE]
I Think you brought it up last time Abnett and Lanning were brought up and at the time all my shop had was assorted issues, but it looks like in between that time the first trade has finally came out so I'll give it a gander. Thanks!

Injustice should've had an "evil mode" for the story. Where you play as Superman's regime following the events of the Joker blowing up their Metropolis.

In the Injustice comic, Superman basically goes unopposed (outside of Batman) and majority of the heroes are firmly behind his choice. So don't know how much an evil campaign would go unless you're just beating up soldiers and it ending with punching the president in the face...which I admit sounds pretty awesome.

Having a hard time finding batman #1, but that is obvious I shouldnt have been so stupid, should have bought it when it first started. So if anyone has an extra lets trade ;)

[quote name='Indignate']I would love to get rid of mine. All these comics are just taking up space now.

Don't know what I would ever want for them though.[/QUOTE]

How much space are your comics taking up?

Nothing even close to being major, just a small space in my closet.

But when I realized that I didn't want to collect comics, it became a problem.

[quote name='Indignate']Nothing even close to being major, just a small space in my closet.

But when I realized that I didn't want to collect comics, it became a problem.[/QUOTE]
That's not too bad at all. My comics take up pretty much my entire closet. I'm up to 8 longboxes and 3 shorts now alongside my completely full bookcase of trades.

I've been back in comics for a little bit now and it really does take up a lot of space. I'm forcing myself to keep only my favorites. Digital is nice though. I'm using all these digital copies that Marvel is including to reclaim my space. I'll probably regret selling off the paper copies when they all go up in price, but right now it's a good trade off.

In fact, if anyone isn't using their digital codes, I'd be happy to buy some of them off you.

Thanks for the Spidey suggestions. Honestly both Superior and Ultimate sound pretty damn interesting.

I picked up Young Avengers 1 yesterday. Think I'll dig that. I have quite a bit of the old series - I think I fell out around Children's Crusade.

Things are already getting out of hand. I've got like seven books on my plate.

Guardians of the Galaxy
Iron Man
Avengers Arena
Uncanny XMen
All New XMen
Young Avengers
Undecided Spidey Book

Anything super awesome I'm missing? I was really into Secret Avengers and Secret Warrior back in the day. Is there a book or books that kind of capture the sort of "black ops " feel of those two books?

[quote name='GhostShark']New Avengers and Thor: God of Thunder. Easily the two best Marvel NOW! books.[/QUOTE]

I haven't read them so I can't compare, but Hawkeye is pretty damn good.

[quote name='Broseph']Anything super awesome I'm missing? I was really into Secret Avengers and Secret Warrior back in the day. Is there a book or books that kind of capture the sort of "black ops " feel of those two books?[/QUOTE]

If you're looking for an actual black ops comic then you would probably enjoy The Activity from Image. Great book with a definite real world setting, certainly worth checking out.

[quote name='DestroVega']I haven't read them so I can't compare, but Hawkeye is pretty damn good.[/QUOTE]

Hawkeye and Captain Marvel (my two favorite current Marvel books) both started before Marvel NOW! so I kept them away. But yeah, totally read both of those.

[quote name='GhostShark']Hawkeye and Captain Marvel (my two favorite current Marvel books) both started before Marvel NOW! so I kept them away. But yeah, totally read both of those.[/QUOTE]

It seems like some of Marvel's best books were pre-Marvel NOW!: Daredevil, Captain Marvel, and Hawkeye. It's almost as if they just let people write good books without the need for marketing gimmicks.

bread's done
Back