Comic Book Discussion Thread (Marvel, DC, Image, Dark Horse, Top Cow, IDW, Indy, etc)

[quote name='bhk']Hawkeye is awesome. I love it.[/QUOTE]

A Hawkeye movie, written with the same tone, would be awesome. Although I don't know if Renner could pull it off

I learned there is a new Absolution series coming out which has me pretty excited. I really liked the first one. I want my GF to go as the Hello Kitty ninja girl at comic-con.

Also - has any one read Sky Doll. I saw it and read it years ago after just milling around the comic shop. It popped into my head after reading a article about sexualized comic book characters. I remember it being really good, but I don't think it had an ending (at least from the volumes I read). I went to the Wikipedia for it but it didn't give much information about it. Are there additional volumes that weren't released over here (since it is French) and is it still being released.

[quote name='DestroVega']A Hawkeye movie, written with the same tone, would be awesome. Although I don't know if Renner could pull it off[/QUOTE]

Nope. Would definitely need a recast.

I mean, I wish they would recast him now. He can't even pull off the shitty Hawkeye that they put in the movie.

DC's August Solicits are out. It looks like Dial H, Legion of Superheroes, Demon Knights and Threshold all got canned. Nothing of great value will be lost. I gave Dial H a shot since China Mievelle is one of the best science/speculative fiction writers out there, but his style of dialogue just doesn't fit comic books, in my opinion. We'll probably get announcements soon of what books will replace them. I will cross my fingers for Booster Gold and Blue Beetle books, but I we'll probably see something having to do with the fallout of Trinity War.

I know I'm late to this party, but Morning Glories is great. I almost wrote off Nick Spencer after reading his run on Ultimate X-Men.

Anyone have a good suggestion of where to unload modern age books? As a part of my move to digital I'm thinning out a bunch of my recent stuff.

Haha, I think the majority consensus of people here dropped Morning Glories. I stuck with it for about 20 issues, but it just went nowhere and kept bringing up questions and delivering no answers.

I dropped it a few months back. Started out great then it just got to the point where didn't know wtf was going on and I didn't care anymore.

You guys lasted longer than I did on Morning Glories... Maybe when it is all said and done I will pick it up....

I just checked out kickstarter for comics and I better stay out of there from now on or I will be spending lots of money. When I logged on I immediately see staff pics for Fearless Dawn and Carbon Grey. Then the gifts for donating big money sometimes look awesome, but I shouldn't be spending money on that. I already have my place covered in statues and overpriced prints... I'm all for tossing a few bucks toward them, but the big money will crush me.

The opening of the newest Ultimate Spider-man irritated me but it pulled it back out. It starts out
one year after the death of Miles' mom. Hasn't went into the deeps of how it's draining on the kid but I expect it to pulled out more over the next 3-5 issues.
It was also good to see
Bombshell back. I'm really hoping she is a hero and not a villain. Obviously they left the ending of this issue to let you try to figure out who is on which side, I just really want her to be a hero.

I Don't know how, but FF always seems to hit the right emotional note for me. From Scott telling Onome and everyone how he's worried over everyone's safety to Darla's stand against Blastaar. Love it and the Allred's mash perfectly with the writing. Also Dragon Man is just becoming my favorite character more and more.

Could you post it in a spoiler? I'm gonna pick up the issue, though I will be picking up the Larfleeze ongoing when it starts.

[quote name='GhostShark']Could you post it in a spoiler? I'm gonna pick up the issue, though I will be picking up the Larfleeze ongoing when it starts.[/QUOTE]

What's Mine is Mine and Mine and Mine! AND MINE AND MINE AND MINE! NOT YOURS!

Pretty disappointing.

I actually like that. Goes against the rhyming schemes and meters of the other, more poetic mantras. I think my personal favorite is the Red Lanterns' Oath.

[quote name='CaptainJoel']
What's Mine is Mine and Mine and Mine! AND MINE AND MINE AND MINE! NOT YOURS!

Pretty disappointing.[/QUOTE]
Before I even clicked on the spoiler I had some idea what it might be, which was...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKMNPQ35OUc

[quote name='GhostShark']I actually like that. Goes against the rhyming schemes and meters of the other, more poetic mantras. I think my personal favorite is the Red Lanterns' Oath.[/QUOTE]
I prefer the rhymes and while the Orange oath is growing on me the more I read it, I'm still not in love with it like I expected to. The Orange is probably my favorite corps and the fact that the oath has been pretty hyped up since Blackest Night I expected a little more. The Red Lantern oath is my top favorite, too.

[quote name='bardockkun']Before I even clicked on the spoiler I had some idea what it might be, which was...[/QUOTE]
That is roughly what I expected too!

I made a cheap plug in another thread too but I am writing for an upstart website and figured I would share with CAG.

I wrote my first comic column this week, a look back at a random issue of a comic. This time it was JLA #34 from 1990 -

http://culturecrossfire.com/literature/random-comic-recall-justice-league-of-america-34/

Appreciate anyone taking the time to look. Hope you enjoy or at least enjoy some of the other cool stuff people are working on.

Let me just say that I was SO happy with Young Avengers that came out last week. The fact that
Kid Loki is actually apparently still alive makes me really happy to see what happens next (I kind of hope the two Loki's get split at some point), even though it weakens the ending to his arc of Journey Into Mystery just a bit. I just really missed the actual Kid Loki, I love him so much (he's probably my favorite male Marvel character).

I'm glad Young Avengers redeemed itself after the turds that were the first two issues. I'm still not a fan of the art, but whatevers. Let's see how this next issue goes with Speed.

Going to Denver Comic Con in a few hours and decided to make this
lemongrab_dcc_edition_by_imbillpardy-d678m9v.jpg
. I Look forward to unintentionally ruining any picture taken with me somewhere in the background.

[quote name='bardockkun']Going to Denver Comic Con in a few hours and decided to make this
lemongrab_dcc_edition_by_imbillpardy-d678m9v.jpg
. I Look forward to unintentionally ruining any picture taken with me somewhere in the background.[/QUOTE]

Scary yet amazing. Lemongrab gets my thumbs up!

I am reading the Invincible Iron Man Omnibus, and enjoying it a lot. I will pick up volume 2 when I am finished. As a first time Iron Man reader, I would recommend it to others who have never read the comics.

Invincible Iron Man was one of the more consistent books on the market. What Fraction and Larocca did the for the character was just amazing, not unlike what Geoff Johns did for Hal Jordan. They made their characters A-listers.

Just happened to go back to ComicsAlliance today and saw they were back. Others may prefer different sites but I've always enjoyed them for my comic news and what not.

Man, East of West is amazing. This is beginning to be like Saga where I can't wait for the next issue and the wait for issue #4 is already excruciating. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I just wish Saga didn't go on such long breaks between sets of issues, the waiting is really hard.

In regards to comics that came out this week Avengers is getting harder and harder for me to get through because I really just don't care, and Avengers Arena continues to be a total train wreck that I'm forced to watch because characters I truly love are in it, but watching one of them crawling around with broken bones bleeding out was fairly hard to stomach, my only hope is that this can end and be revealed that nobody really died and have some book with these characters that isn't terrible.

This week's Avengers was actually pretty damn good. The buddy dynamic between Thor and Hyperion is awesome and the more I the new Spider-Man in Avengers books, the more I like him. Anyway, the Infinity preludes start on the next issue.

As for Infinity, this new Mighty (MIghty Avengers?) team is shaping up real nice. Luke Cage. Blue Marvel, She-Hulk, Superior Spider-Man, White Tiger and Power Man. I'm glad they included some of the younger heroes (Tiger and Power Man) and a relative, albeit powerful, unknown in Blue Marvel.

Yeah I'm interested in Mighty as well.  I was a huge fan of White Tiger in Avengers Academy (she was actually one of the reasons I started reading that series since I saw her costume on the cover and thought it was totally awesome).  Plus, being a huge She-Hulk fan as well means I'm fully willing to at least give it a try.

Also, I kind of agree Spider-Man in the team books is kind of funny right now since he's so snooty, but I also kind of miss Peter Parker's constant joking.

Well the artist for Mighty Avengers is Greg "Traces my Women" Land. I'll still get it, but the art is gonna be awful until they make a change it. 

In regards to Age of Ultron...

THAT'S ENOUGH BRIAN MICHAEL BENDIS. PLEASE STOP. YOU ARE TERRIBLE AT CROSSOVERS.

That's all. Also Trinity War isn't doing anything to get me excited, but man I'm eager to see Hickman write his first crossover.

The problem with Age of Ultron, ultimately, is that it appeared Bendis had no idea what he was doing with the story, after saying countless times that it has been in his head for many, many years. If it truly was, it wouldn't have been nearly as incoherent as it is. I also despise the trope of these comic book evenets (DC is guilty of this as well) of using the last issue the event to set up the future of the Marvel Universe. Shit is so dumb.

I am kind of interested in the Hunger mini-series, though. Also, for those of you who were on the fence about Hickman's Avengers, this is now three issues in a row where everything made sense and worked perfectly, so don't drop the book yet! Especially with Infinity right around the corner.

Hickman is good at writing a large assortment of characters and large scale events is main reason I'm excited for Infinity. Though otherwise, yeah it feels like majority of crossovers are meant to change the universe, but instead use it as a cop out to either bring a character no one asked for or just a way to clean up a mess a story teller has made or both.

And Avengers is definetly getting better, I still prefer New Avengers, but the pieces are slowly fitting together in Avengers.

I just got back into the books hard, The Movement from DC and the new Thunderbolts volume are great reads. Looking forward to Supes Unchained if I ever get my hands on #1 and Batman #21 for the start of Year Zero. Has anyone tried Marvel's UNlimited subscription service? If so, what is your opinion on it? I'm scouring to find a promo code that works for it, to no avail, if anyone knows of one, help feed my addiction...please FOR THE LOVE OF ...

The problem with Age of Ultron, ultimately, is that it appeared Bendis had no idea what he was doing with the story, after saying countless times that it has been in his head for many, many years. If it truly was, it wouldn't have been nearly as incoherent as it is. I also despise the trope of these comic book evenets (DC is guilty of this as well) of using the last issue the event to set up the future of the Marvel Universe. Shit is so dumb.

I am kind of interested in the Hunger mini-series, though. Also, for those of you who were on the fence about Hickman's Avengers, this is now three issues in a row where everything made sense and worked perfectly, so don't drop the book yet! Especially with Infinity right around the corner.
I read somewhere that the script was written years or months ago? Regardless, it must've been written quite a while ago and then Marvel editorial told him to change a lot of things because I expect more from Bendis, he's one of my favorite writers and can write some fantastic stuff if he sets his mind to it.I mean, when issue #1 of AoU came out, he said that Spider-Man was written to be Peter despite the current Spidey being you know who. I think I'll just stick to ALL NEW X-MEN for now and AVENGING SPIDER-MAN. They're the only books I'm enjoying frm Marvel at the moment and i'm quite behind on DC but I hear Batman s still good (Disappointed by DOTF).

I really don't like the look of Mighty at all, but I'm loving all of the other Avenger stuff. I have mostly hated the ever living fuck out of AoU, though. I'm just hoping the
Ultimate Spidey
part in the newest issue leads to something good.

It will lead to
the entire universe being eaten by Galactus, but in all seriousness, though, who knows what will come of any of it.

I'm getting Mighty only because of Luke Cage and some of the new/underrated and developed characters on the team. I do dislike Greg Land's pencils with the rage of a million burning suns, though.

For some reason my mind totally blank that there is another Avengers book coming. As if it knew to intentionally block it out because it knows it will be bad.

And I feel no excitement of any sort over the fallout from Age of Ultron. Was anyone really clamoring for the return of
Angela
in any comic? If anything I would've given Marvel an insane amount of praise if it was just a big switcheroo last second and it turned out Miracleman/Marvelman was officially part of the universe, merely because I'd be curious how he'd be handled and it would instantly boost them releasing the Alan Moore run of that.

Yeah, I don't get the
Angela thing either. And the decision to add her to Guardians of the Galaxy (a perfect enough team as is) is pretty weird.

I've also come to the conclusion that we'll never see the addition of Miracleman/Marvelman. They've teased it on and off for at least five years now and nothing ever comes of it.

I think Miracle/Marvelman will end up showing up somewhere in Hickman's run on Avengers. I feel like he'll show up and end up being an alternate earth version of Hyperion or one of the heroes that come across from another world during one of those Events in New Avengers. Hell, maybe he'll even be revealed as an alternate version of Sentry or Blue Marvel.

I don't really think the addition of Angie to GotG is that odd, though, I do admit that Bendis will probably fuck it up. It makes sense that being an Angel she would be an obvious match to Thanos. What with his wanting to upset the natural (holy, perhaps?) order of things by ending all life. 

I wouldn't be a bit surprised if part of the deal with Marvel getting Angela is that Gaiman will be the one to write Miracleman, most likely next year.

Though to be fair I don't think anything McFarlane has done has aged well past the 90's. I Mean outside of the Alan Moore written issues of Spawn, I can't think of anything memorable about that series as a whole. With that said I don't know if I hate the redesign of
Angela
(I Don't even know why I'm still spoilering it since they spoiled it months in advance) because they completely changed it up and looks barely unrecognizable to the character (for a character who already had an awful design) or merely because I hate that character is in the Marvel universe for literally no reason when there are plenty of Marvel in universe character I'd rather see be given that spotlight. Since she is literally a blank slate and brings nothing to the table with having a redesign and no ties to the Image universe and I can't name a single memorable story with THAT character. Just...why?

Anyways, back on the topic of good comics. I'm meh on Swamp Thing and where it's headed since it hasn't done anything to pique my interest, but Jesus I love the direction Animal Man is headed. I'm so excited to read each issue of it simply because there's so much going on between him and his daughter and I'm curious to how they'll intersect.

I loved the Gaiman and Moore Spawn stuff. Haven't read much else because it bored me.

Also, really love Animal Man. I do feel you on Swamp Thing, though. I really wish it was as good as it was during that massive Animal Man arc.

Spawn: Bloodlust and Violator mini series always stick out in my head as some of the best Spawn stuff and Todd McFarlane had nothing to do with it. Though in all seriousness, has anyone here read or know someone who still reads Spawn? The last issue of Spawn I read was I think issue 100 simply for the Alex Ross cover and Angela gets killed. Besides that the only other thing I've read is that Image United trainwreck that I don't think ever even finished, but I know Al Simmons became evil and the Spawn mantle was passed to a normal non dead teenager and...that's it. The past few years or so all I see from Spawn comics is just him ripping off the covers of more famous comics and it makes me curious as to what that series has (if anything) to offer in this day and age.

I Think I'll keep on Swamp Thing for another issue or two before I decide to drop it. I Think with how Rotworld ended, that if that was the end of the Swamp Thing comic series and he just making appearances in Justice League Dark or other comics, I'd be fine with that. I Think Nightwing is going to get dropped next time I go to my shop, which is a shame because Dick Grayson is still one of my favorite DC characters, but I find the whole bringing back Tony Zucco thing to be way too gimmicky and it just isn't as fun of a read as it use to be.

Oh and from people who picked up Superman: Unchained, was the last page of that a bit of an homage to Electric Blue Superman or is that just me?

Charles Soule is a fantastic writing, doing great things with Swamp Thing. Sure, it's not Snyder, but you can't expect that level of writing from a rookie superhero writer. I'm glad they're distancing him from just about everything and delving more into the lore and history of the green and past Swamp Things. Plus, Kano's art is fucking brilliant.

Spawn: Bloodlust and Violator mini series always stick out in my head as some of the best Spawn stuff and Todd McFarlane had nothing to do with it. Though in all seriousness, has anyone here read or know someone who still reads Spawn? The last issue of Spawn I read was I think issue 100 simply for the Alex Ross cover and Angela gets killed. Besides that the only other thing I've read is that Image United trainwreck that I don't think ever even finished, but I know Al Simmons became evil and the Spawn mantle was passed to a normal non dead teenager and...that's it. The past few years or so all I see from Spawn comics is just him ripping off the covers of more famous comics and it makes me curious as to what that series has (if anything) to offer in this day and age.

I Think I'll keep on Swamp Thing for another issue or two before I decide to drop it. I Think with how Rotworld ended, that if that was the end of the Swamp Thing comic series and he just making appearances in Justice League Dark or other comics, I'd be fine with that. I Think Nightwing is going to get dropped next time I go to my shop, which is a shame because Dick Grayson is still one of my favorite DC characters, but I find the whole bringing back Tony Zucco thing to be way too gimmicky and it just isn't as fun of a read as it use to be.

Oh and from people who picked up Superman: Unchained, was the last page of that a bit of an homage to Electric Blue Superman or is that just me?
Yeah, my dad and one of my buddies actually pick up every issue of Spawn that drops. They say it's great, but they also are not all that bright and probably wouldn't know good writing if it was staring them in the face. I think that the most recent Spawn stuff I read (besides Image United, which never ended) was probably the 100 arc because a friend told me how good it was, but it was incredibly forgettable, apparently.

Also, I agree on the Nightwing dropping. If it wasn't that I read that for free, I'd probably have dropped it as soon as he moved to Chicago. Especially because I hate the art now. Everyone looks like kids. I didn't catch the reference to Superman Blue, but hell, it could've been.

I agree with most everyone else Age of Ultron was really disappointing and mostly pointless.

I actually did kind of enjoy this weeks Avengers, hopefully it continues to get better and more interesting than it has been.

I'm also still really enjoying Uncanny Avengers, I think a lot of it is that Remender is tying it so closely to the events of The Dark Angel Saga from Uncanny X-Force which I really really loved.  That plus having Kang involved is also awesome because I like him as a villain.  And Remender is doing a good job of keeping the story all kinds of crazy which he usually seems to do.  I might even go as far to say I think Uncanny Avengers is my favorite Avengers title, narrowly beating out New Avengers.

On the topic of Uncanny X-Force I'm really not feeling the new series of that at all yet, like I was hoping for some cool stuff about Fantomex after the split into 3 personalities who I really came to like from reading the first Uncanny X-Force series, plus the team seemed like an interesting collection of characters, but the Fantomex stuff feels kind of like an aside still and the plot doesn't really seemed to be paced to keep me interested.  I'll probably stick with it for a bit longer to see what happens, but I might drop it.

Also, I totally agree about Swamp Thing, it isn't nearly as good now that Snyder has left, but I'm still enjoying what's going on so far.  Animal Man is still totally awesome though.

I agree completely, Icebeezy. Uncanny X-Force is terrible. Blech.
Yeah there just really isn't anything interesting about it so far for me. Even the art kind of turns me off. I haven't really enjoyed much at all of the dialog since it doesn't feel like the characters are actually being written with their established voices, and compounding on that I still find the black barred swear words really distracting, and the fact that their is so much implied swearing kind of a turnoff because nobody else writes these characters talking like that. It's kind of silly that Uncanny Avengers is far more of a sequel to Uncanny X-Force than this new Uncanny X-Force series, haha.

I agree completely, Icebeezy. Uncanny X-Force is terrible. Blech.
Yeah there just really isn't anything interesting about it so far for me. Even the art kind of turns me off. I haven't really enjoyed much at all of the dialog since it doesn't feel like the characters are actually being written with their established voices, and compounding on that I still find the black barred swear words really distracting, and the fact that their is so much implied swearing kind of a turnoff because nobody else writes these characters talking like that. It's kind of silly that Uncanny Avengers is far more of a sequel to Uncanny X-Force than this new Uncanny X-Force series, haha.
The cursing is what annoys me the most with the whole black bar censorship thing. That just annoys the ever living fuck outta me. I wouldn't mind if they went back to the skull censors, though. Have you been reading Astonishing or Ultimate? I've been pretty interested in their goings on. Actually, I'm having a lot of fun with all the Ultimate books right now, now that I think about it.

bread's done
Back