Comic Book Discussion Thread (Marvel, DC, Image, Dark Horse, Top Cow, IDW, Indy, etc)

:wave:

But I'm not complaining about it. :)
I Loved Slither and Super (and "enjoyed" Tromeo and Juliet) and I loved the space epic's before the current incarnation of Guardians. So really I'm fine with whatever and won't complain...well, unless the movie somehow sucks.

Kevin Feige also all but announced that Ronan the Accuser (played by Lee Pace) will be the film's primary villain. I'm curious about this because he's  one of those interesting villains that has spent as much time a hero that he has a villain. Thanos be pullin' dem strings.

I went to a comic book show (got some awesome stuff) and surprisingly the Affleck batman debate didnt come up. IDK if I am disappointed or impressed in my fellow fanboys/fangirls. There was a guy who actually understood condition and pricing at the show, so I dropped about $100 at his booth on gold, silver, and some bronze age stuff. Luckily he had no interest in modern at all, so I got a stack of late GI JOe and Transformers books for 25 cents each. I also pulled a couple of Sabretooths early appearances as well as the xmen appearance from power man and iron fist. I was able to fill in some gaps in my Sergent Fury run at a buck a book. Picked up some modern keys too like uncanny 268 (jim lee black widow, cap cover), 244 (1st jubilee), and 267 (2nd gambit) in perfect shape. I also bought a pretty decent condition SHIELD issue 4 for $8. He wouldn't budge on that one and I paid a little more than I like to, but that white cover is hard to find in decent shape (and STERANKO is my favorite artist, so yeah). ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Only three issues into Superman Unchained and I already feel like dropping it. This book is so sloowwwwwww, especially considering it has that $3.99 price point.

I Think Lee is okay, but he's one of those artists who's way overhyped to me. The story itself just feels like any other forgettable Superman or even Dragonball Z story of have Superman fight mysterious strong presence and with all the shit happening in the book (the terrorist group, Lex escaping, Lois being saved by some random guy with crystal, and of course the other alien that Superman has to eventually fight) I think I might've sold myself on dropping it since I know this will all be dragged out even longer. Plus Lee can't do books constantly on a monthly basis and eventually they're going to have replacement artists for a long stretch or delay it.

It's not Snyder's fault he has a fart of a character to work with. I want American Vampire to return already. Need more Skinner Sweet and Pearl Jones in  my life. 

Can you guys stop, okay?

Scott Snyder.
No problem.

Anyways, let's talk some more about Scott Snyder. Kinda agreed on fart of a character to work with, but it feels like...once a year or so there's one good Superman story and the rest will all be forgettable. This is not the one. That and Superman doesn't seem to fit in Snyder's style of writing compared to everything else he's put out.

I wouldn't even say once a year. The last Supes story I actually enjoyed from beginning to end was All-Star Superman. He's also great in Cartoons. 

Brian micheal bendis took down his pants and shit all over ben affleck's chest. He basically said I'm the best comic book writer like ever and he would never be in one my movies only if he directed them I think I only read a little bit of the interview

I wouldn't even say once a year. The last Supes story I actually enjoyed from beginning to end was All-Star Superman. He's also great in Cartoons.
The Geoff Johns run was enjoyable a few years back. Same with Superman: Secret Origins written by him and Gary Frank's art is always easy on the eyes. I Know there's stuff more recent, but those always come to mind post All Star Superman in terms of good stories.

Brian micheal bendis took down his pants and shit all over ben affleck's chest. He basically said I'm the best comic book writer like ever and he would never be in one my movies only if he directed them I think I only read a little bit of the interview
Was this an actual interview or a freestyle rap Bendis did about Affleck? Please tell me freestyle rap.

Anyone here use the Marvel Unlimited App? I'm considering signing up if the content is good and pretty recent. Heck, even with a decent backlog I'd have a bunch to read.

It's like $70 a year, or $10 a month (but I can wait for a deal/coupon code).

The Geoff Johns run was enjoyable a few years back. Same with Superman: Secret Origins written by him and Gary Frank's art is always easy on the eyes. I Know there's stuff more recent, but those always come to mind post All Star Superman in terms of good stories.

Was this an actual interview or a freestyle rap Bendis did about Affleck? Please tell me freestyle rap.
http://comicbook.com/blog/2013/08/26/brian-michael-bendis-weighs-in-on-ben-affleck-as-batman/

I’d rather see a film directed by Ben Affleck then him as Batman.

Anyone here use the Marvel Unlimited App? I'm considering signing up if the content is good and pretty recent. Heck, even with a decent backlog I'd have a bunch to read.

It's like $70 a year, or $10 a month (but I can wait for a deal/coupon code).
It depends on your definition of pretty recent. It's always 6 months behind.

They also introduced a $99 option today called Marvel Unlimited Plus which includes additional bonuses and discounts. http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/08/27/marvel-debuts-unlimited-plus-subscription-level

Same, but I hated Man of Steel and Batman vs. Superman will only make Supes more angsty and moody since the creative time is still the same so really my thoughts on this whole project even before Affleck was announced was low. That and I really don't know why Affleck is even doing this. He got so much shit for Daredevil and he's proven he can write, direct and even act, but being Batman doesn't further his career or anything, if anything it seems...kinda below him.

I dunno if this is against the rules or not, but I'm looking to buy some Batman TPBs. I'm specifically looking for The Black Mirror, Venom, and Red Rain. PM me if you wanna sell!

Same, but I hated Man of Steel and Batman vs. Superman will only make Supes more angsty and moody since the creative time is still the same so really my thoughts on this whole project even before Affleck was announced was low. That and I really don't know why Affleck is even doing this. He got so much shit for Daredevil and he's proven he can write, direct and even act, but being Batman doesn't further his career or anything, if anything it seems...kinda below him.
This is actually quite similar to what I think about the situation. After Argo won Best Picture he seemed to be on a path similar to Clint Eastwood's, moving between directing solid movies and acting as a secondary option. I agree with the "beneath him" sentiment considering his past with Daredevil and also how all 3 of the movies he's directed are held in high esteem. Plus, following Christian Bale doesn't seem like something that someone of his status would want to do, especially since it's only been 1 year since TDKR. A superhero movie by a second-rate director just seems like an obvious step back for him. The only reason I can see is money and a huge truckload of it. Warner Bros. loves Affleck so they probably offered him a ridiculous amount.

This is actually quite similar to what I think about the situation. After Argo won Best Picture he seemed to be on a path similar to Clint Eastwood's, moving between directing solid movies and acting as a secondary option. I agree with the "beneath him" sentiment considering his past with Daredevil and also how all 3 of the movies he's directed are held in high esteem. Plus, following Christian Bale doesn't seem like something that someone of his status would want to do, especially since it's only been 1 year since TDKR. A superhero movie by a second-rate director just seems like an obvious step back for him. The only reason I can see is money and a huge truckload of it. Warner Bros. loves Affleck so they probably offered him a ridiculous amount.
Award winning writer, director and producer being directed by the man responsible for Sucker Punch. What? It's one of those times where you realize it is possible for someone to be "over qualified" for the job. Though as a comic book fan I still feel I have to see it, but man the report of Josh Brolin turning down the role kinda bummed me out more then anything since that's one Batman I'd want to see. Also truckloads of money? Agreed. I Guess Affleck is considered a bankable actor again now as well.

Yeah, I'm not being dismissive right out of the box like so many fanboys have been.  People are saying he's going to suck based on the memories of Armageddon and Daredevil and not giving credence to any of his work in the last 5-10 years.  My biggest problem isn't with his ability but with his age.  He just turned 41 so he'll be nearly 42 by the time they finish shooting the movie.  That would be fine if it were going to be just one movie but it's practically a guarantee that they would like to have him do 3 movies most likely.  Going by typical shooting schedules (and most likely Affleck's desire to do other work between Batman roles) he'll probably be very close to (if not at) 50 when they shoot what would theoretically be a third movie.  Unless that third one is Dark Knight Returns it could potentially portray him as old and creaky.  Ultimately, though, we'll just have to wait and see.

Angry, old, thick Boston accent Batman for Dark Knight Returns sounds kinda awesome in a "This is a goddamn trainwreck, but I want to toss more money at the screen" kinda way. Plus I think majority of the dismissive fanboys or the ones making all those dumb petitions against Affleck are the people who don't read comics and don't know shit about the characters, but just go on gut reactions on what the predominant pop culture bases a celebrity on. So really, those people can eat a dick.

And honestly, didn't think about the multi movie deal aspect of Affleck's contract since that alone is going to cause headaches with Batman vs. Superman spinning into Justice League and Justice League sequels along with WB definitely wanting lone Batman films as well. Now I'm curious as to how this will all balance out when Batman vs. Supes turns out to be a success.

Angry, old, thick Boston accent Batman for Dark Knight Returns sounds kinda awesome in a "This is a goddamn trainwreck, but I want to toss more money at the screen" kinda way. Plus I think majority of the dismissive fanboys or the ones making all those dumb petitions against Affleck are the people who don't read comics and don't know shit about the characters, but just go on gut reactions on what the predominant pop culture bases a celebrity on. So really, those people can eat a dick.
Well...The same can be said for some of you guys, if you haven't read golden age and silver age batman stories. It all depends on how you see batman I guess. Supposedly the director's inspiration is from dark knight returns, but it sounds like they are just going to make it like the superman/batman series. Basically the last 3 movies were largely frank miller batman stories, but I don't see them making it DKR even with an 'older' batman. I guess my point is it depends on what batman you grew up on and how you see the character. On paper George Clooney is a real life Bruce Wayne, but we've all seen what happened with that movie. I'll give Ben a chance, but I am not expecting much.

So this is a "Superman" movie with Batman's in it? Kinda funny nobody gives a shit about the Superman part.
There's nothing really left to talk about from the Superman side. Man of Steel was really polarizing...people either loved it or hated it. Those that hated it have already bitched about it enough. Affleck as Batman is the big story now.

There's nothing really left to talk about from the Superman side. Man of Steel was really polarizing...people either loved it or hated it. Those that hated it have already bitched about it enough. Affleck as Batman is the big story now.
Batman being in this movie is and will always be the bigger story. All I'm saying is he's the draw, not Superman.

So, after getting charged $58 from Atomic Empire for this month's shipment, I've realized that I need to rein myself in a little.

I'll likely drop All-Star Western once the modern-time arc ends, because I only started when I saw Booster Gold was making an appearance and I've always liked what little I've read about him. The whole time-travelling arc has been hysterical though! Especially in last month's issue, the scene with Jonah Hex and the cigarette was priceless.

I'll also probably drop Talon, as I only bought it for the Bane story arc - I've been saving them all to read at once, though, so maybe I'll enjoy it for more than the Bane appearances?

Thunderbolts may even be on the choping block, as I'm not loving the art from the last couple of previews. I'm definitely trying to give the new writer a chance, though, and if he has a good handle on Deadpool I may stick with it. I'm also interested in the roster shake-ups being teased in interviews, so we'll see.

Has anyone here been reading the new Batman/Superman series? I've enjoyed the previews quite a bit and so I'll be getting the first 3 issues in this shipment, I'm just curious about other people's opinions on it. I get why some people aren't digging the art - though, from what little I've seen so far, the only problem I have is that the differences between the two Supermans (Supermen?) is too subtle in close-ups.

So, uh, yeah, that ending to Trinity. Completely predictable and nullifies the entire "event." I hate proclaimed "events" that are just stepping stones to the next event two months later. At least Marvel does it with events at least 6 months later. Let's hope Forever Evil can be more tense and gripping that Trinity War. 

As for Infinity, every single tie-in so far (Avengers, New Avengers, Avengers Assemble and Captain Marvel) along with the first issue has been tremendous. New Avengers #9 this week might be the issue of the year for me so far out of anything (Yes, even better than Pizza Dog). It was nice to finally see what Thanos' Black Order could do. 

The only other book (bought like 13 of them this week!) to blow me away this week was Thor: God of Thunder #12. Maybe I missed something but since when
did Jane Foster get breast cancer. Was this something recent
? It's very rare you get to see the human side of Thor, but when you do, it's always amazing. 

Well, since I got my order yesterday which included Talon #11, I finally started reading from #7. I must admit, even though I read it purely for Bane's involvement and he really didn't appear much until the end, the arc was very enjoyable - and that's coming from someone who knows absolutely nothing about the book's hero, Calvin Rose. It also did its job and has me hooked enough to buy a book I otherwise wasn't planning on getting - Forever Evil: Arham War. Looking forward to it, even though, again, I have no idea who the guy who recruits Bane at the end of Talon #11 is. 

All-Star Western continues to be thoroughly entertaining, although the amount of panels the writer spent having a character probe Hex on his opinion about Gay marriage was a little excessive... especially when his opinion boiled down to "that's crazy, but ah don't care much either way."

Finally got around to reading Deadpool #7 & 8, and they were great. You can tell I'm a former trade waiter... I still find myself stockpiling issues until I can read them in bulk and get as much of the story as I can in one go. Luckily Deadpool seems to ship twice a month, so I don't have to wait long at all.

Does anyone know if Midtown Comics typically send you an email when your previews orders come in-stock, or do they wait until the end of the month when it all ships?

They're who I used for my villain's month pre-orders... and they never cancelled my orders, so as far as I know I should be getting them. (hopefully)

Does anyone know a place to get a monthly subscription of Vertigo titles? There are like 2-3 Vertigo titles I am interested in having sent to me but that's really about it comic wise (does midtown do single comic subscriptions or is it a 10 minimum?).

Thanks

Does anyone know a place to get a monthly subscription of Vertigo titles? There are like 2-3 Vertigo titles I am interested in having sent to me but that's really about it comic wise (does midtown do single comic subscriptions or is it a 10 minimum?).

Thanks
Yeah, Midtown has that nasty 10 series minimum, that's why I don't use them.

I've had nothing but great experiences with Atomic Empire for the 5 months I've been using them for my subs. Every comic comes bagged and boarded, they're shipped extremely securely, and you can set your shipments to be sent weekly, monthly, or on any specific date you choose.

Just be sure to click on the "SUBS" tab on their homepage before you do your search for the titles you want.

Thanks
Things From another World may be able to do that. TFAW.com

jean grey got some future ninja  gotta wear a mask for like ever and shit doe

just tell future jean to tell future future jean to find a cure for and go back in time and fix it PAY ME PLZ MARVEL

Managed to pick up Harley Quinn and Riddle 3D covers. Shit is so cash. 

I also did the unthinkable and bought Mighty Avengers. I didn't want to because Greg Land is one of the worst pencilers out there, but my dude Luke Cage is in the book, and I cannot pass up a book with Luke Cage. It's been too long since Cage has been in a book. 

Sounds like I didn't miss much in missing out on Trinity War, though I will admit Forever Evil so far isn't bad. I Mean I still hate how a crossover immediatly leads to the next one with little to no breathing room, but the fact I missed little from Trinity not so bad.

Meanwhile, Infinity is fucking awesome so far. It feels so epic on every page and even if I don't get any earth shattering plot twists or character deaths, I think in the very least I'll get a good story out of it. Though yeah, love the war on all fronts of the Marvel universe and how poetic every detail is (the first victory was such a nice quiet moment).

Yeah, Trinity War became irrelevant once Johns announced Forever Evil, basically saying the bad guys won before the series even started.

Indigdawg bringin' the truth. I just finished up everything from the big two this week and got to say that some of the Forever Evil titles took the cake. Black Manta, Court of Owls, and Harley Quinn were especially good. I also liked a good bit of the Zod comic. I'm hoping he shows up soon to fuck shit up.

bread's done
Back