Comic Book Discussion Thread (Marvel, DC, Image, Dark Horse, Top Cow, IDW, Indy, etc)

It's been a few years since I've read this... but... I just don't know how they're going to film and edit this show in a way that we Southern folk could embrace it the way we have Walking Dead.
I Think you mean as a country as a whole. If they can pull off even half the things that they do in the comic I will be beyond surprised. Hell, Arseface alone.

So... this is interesting. A promo/teaser image was revealed for Batman Eternal, supposedly giving hints for what is coming up in the Batman comics. The blonde Nightwing is the most interesting to me, along with Gordon in handcuffs and Alfred in a straitjacket.  

Thanksgiving_Spread_2013_zpsf7fb875e.jpg

Blonde Nightwing because Dick Grayson's identity has been compromised? Plus I'm guessing purple hoodie is Stephanie Brown since I think we discussed earlier of her return (though goddammit I want Cassandra Cain). And goddamn I fucking hate Daughter of Joker's design. It's as goddamn bad as White Rabbit

Maybe Dick dies and gets replaced by Jean Paul Valley?

I'm joking, of course. Still reading through Knightfall, and Jean Paul Valley is the only blonde bat-character I know. What's his post-N52 status, anyway? I may go spelunking in wiki land. 

Anybody else buy Young Justice: Legacy? I did. It's a bare-bones Marvel Ultimate Alliance, but it also happens to not be a glitchy/buggy mess of a game - so it actually exceeded my expectations in that regard. The amount of day-one DLC is infuriating, though, especially considering the two delays the game suffered. 

I Read that as Jean Claude Van Damme in my head. To which I expect Nightwing to be doing alot more splits and telling criminals that he's the repo man and he's out to punch Bison or whoever so hard that the next would be Bison would be would feel it. Plus JPV I don't think has made his appearance in new 52 yet. One of many DC characters to be sucked into the abyss and never spoken of again.

Meanwhile, Ambush Bug is still around.

Huh.

JPV was confirmed as dead in Red Hood and the Outlaws a while back. It looks like Michael Lane is still Az in the New 52. I think blonde Nightwing may be Prankster from Nightwing's book, because pretty sure Dick is dying soon. I mean, they did already confirm that, right?

JPV was confirmed as dead in Red Hood and the Outlaws a while back. It looks like Michael Lane is still Az in the New 52. I think blonde Nightwing may be Prankster from Nightwing's book, because pretty sure Dick is dying soon. I mean, they did already confirm that, right?
You read Red Hood and the Outlaws? You brave, brave man. And I love Dick Grayson, as a character and as Nightwing, but...I almost feel his best time to have died was in Infinite Crisis when he dived in front of Bruce to save his life and than Bruce thought he was dead and pulled a gun on Alexander Luthor and was ready to pull the trigger. Like how can that scene be topped? Also two major death's in the house of Bat so close together seems a bit...much? Though then again I feel like the only person who wants Jason Todd back in the ground or that maybe because of how much I hate Judd Winick writing.

Man, that's awhole lot of Bat talk.

You read Red Hood and the Outlaws? You brave, brave man. And I love Dick Grayson, as a character and as Nightwing, but...I almost feel his best time to have died was in Infinite Crisis when he dived in front of Bruce to save his life and than Bruce thought he was dead and pulled a gun on Alexander Luthor and was ready to pull the trigger. Like how can that scene be topped? Also two major death's in the house of Bat so close together seems a bit...much? Though then again I feel like the only person who wants Jason Todd back in the ground or that maybe because of how much I hate Judd Winick writing.

Man, that's awhole lot of Bat talk.
I only read it because I get it for free and there's a whole lotta Ra's in it. I actually really agree with your feelings on Nightwing. Dick and Damian are my favorite Batman and Robin team and I really can't imagine the Batfamily without Dick. You're probably right, they probably won't kill him off. I'm also really not too fond of Winick. Some of his stuff is good, but he's a lot like Kevin Smith. His comic writing is really flash in the pan kind of stuff.

Anyone reading Deadpool? I just finished the most recent arc and holy fuck, Posehn and Duggan are owning this book. Absolute best portrayal of Deadpool outside of the stuff that Nicieza did with him. In fact, if it wasn't for the fact that I knew Posehn was on the book I would just assume it's Nicieza's work.

Anybody else buy Young Justice: Legacy? I did. It's a bare-bones Marvel Ultimate Alliance, but it also happens to not be a glitchy/buggy mess of a game - so it actually exceeded my expectations in that regard. The amount of day-one DLC is infuriating, though, especially considering the two delays the game suffered.
I didn't buy it but you're the first person I've heard of who has. Glad you seem to like the game.

Anyone reading Deadpool? I just finished the most recent arc and holy fuck, Posehn and Duggan are owning this book. Absolute best portrayal of Deadpool outside of the stuff that Nicieza did with him. In fact, if it wasn't for the fact that I knew Posehn was on the book I would just assume it's Nicieza's work.
Yeah deadpool has been great.

I really like that black chick too I thought it would annoy me

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't really enjoy reading characters that have a million books that really shouldn't. I'd toss Wolverine into this list, as well. But I actually enjoy Wolverine in certain books. 

So did Deadpool good after the whole president's as zombies arc? Since I read first two issues of that and shrugged. Meaning I shrugged so hard over it.

So did Deadpool good after the whole president's as zombies arc? Since I read first two issues of that and shrugged. Meaning I shrugged so hard over it.
Not immediately. It didn't get good until around issue 12, which is pretty ridiculous. The craziest part is that the really amazing arc has a prologue arc that is so completely ridiculous that I almost didn't suffer through it to understand what was going on. I am glad I did though, because it made the payoff that much sweeter in the end of the good arc.

I know I have said this a million times already, but Scott Snyder is the best writer in the business. The Wake #5 solidifies that perfectly. I'd say BKV is on par with him, but he only does one book at a time.

Not immediately. It didn't get good until around issue 12, which is pretty ridiculous. The craziest part is that the really amazing arc has a prologue arc that is so completely ridiculous that I almost didn't suffer through it to understand what was going on. I am glad I did though, because it made the payoff that much sweeter in the end of the good arc.
I'm intrigued, I may pick it up during my shop's Black Friday sale since no matter what I still love Posehn. Thanks.

I know I have said this a million times already, but Scott Snyder is the best writer in the business. The Wake #5 solidifies that perfectly. I'd say BKV is on par with him, but he only does one book at a time.
Haven't read The Wake #5 yet, but his Batman #25 was rather meh. As in I'm fine if we jumped back to the current time after that though with Forever Evil I figured that wouldn't happen that quickly. I Felt the Red Hoods stuff was a good way to end it.

Plus I think Robert Kirkman is still my favorite in the business mostly because his stuff is so diverse and has such a wide range of characters with depth.

Saw Thor: The Dark World with my sister today, and I totally loved it.  Loki was so wonderful, every scene with him was perfect and made me super happy, well all but one.
When he "died" I was like, no way is Loki actually dead that would be terrible, and the ending did not disappoint.  :bouncy:
 Honestly I think it might actually be my favorite Marvel film tied with or just behind The Avengers.  Also, totally rocked my "I believe in Ikol" shirt to it.

Infinity #6 was amazing. One of the best fights in any comic I've ever read. So many "HOLY SHIT!" moments and Lockjaw totally stole the show. This is how events are supposed to end. Bring on Inhumanity!

Infinity and New Avengers this week weren't bad, but holy shit did I enjoy Uncanny Avengers this week. Yes, I know they can easily "undo" all that happened in that issue, but it was still a damn good read. Plus I'm totally fine with Steve McNiven on art duties now. Injustice was also great, but kinda goes without saying by now, but at least now it finally tells the fate of Oliver. A fine and dandy work for pretty pictures and word balloons.

Son of Batman #2. Ugh. 'Nuff said.

So now that Deadpool's The Good, the bad and the ugly arc is over with and I've finished reading everything past the first part in one go... damn. That is how Deadpool should be written. You can have the jokes and the one-liners and let him be as zany as you want, but undercut it was some grim seriousness and a gut-punch for good measure. That was the best Deadpool story in a long time!

The annual was entertaining as well, and I'm quite satisfied with the origin of Daniel Way's white captions as well as the reason for their disappearance. It'll make re-reading his stuff more enjoyable, too. HEDIEDAWARRIOR'SDEATH!

I Didn't even pick up Son of Batman #2, I went to my comic shop and asked the owner if it get's any better and he gave me a look of disgust so I put up back. Though out of morbid curiosity, what did happen?

Bruce came back. He and Damian got into a fight about how Damian is executing criminals, something unjust. They physically fight for a little bit and then Damian launches this little spear head when Bruce is on top of him and apparently nearly kills him. Alfred yells at Damian to get out.

Damian then goes to the priest (confirmed to be Gordon) and the priest says he should stop the executions if he really wants to properly become Batman. Damian reflects on what the priest said, dons the Batman costume, and then talks to Bruce (who seems to be asleep/in a coma or something like that) about how he wants to become what Bruce hopes he will.

Bruce opens his eyes at Damian's last line, "As the next Batman!". His costume looks horrid imo. He goes to Arkham Asylum, and from then on, god knows what. Something about children being brainwashed into attacking Damian and then he gets thrown out of a window while Pyg (the villain) says a cliche line that I really don't even want to type here.

I honestly didn't think it was /that/ bad, but it definitely wasn't good.

Might as well update what else I've read in the past couple weeks.

Started Nightwing and it's easily the best New 52 comic I've read so far. I've read the first 7 issues and the #0 issue. Caught up with Superboy and that's kinda bad. Good enough to keep reading I suppose. Read the fifth issue of The Wake and I'm really liking it.

I think that's about it that's notable.

Yup, totally down with skipping that issue and rest of that series, thanks. Plus he was killing the villains in issue one? I Thought it was implied he was merely beating them to a pulp since the "Facebook update" portion didn't show him murdering any of them and didn't look anywhere as bad as say...Bruce breaking people's arms and legs on a near regular basis in the normal series.

I'll probably keep reading just because it's only two more issues. But I'm not entirely sure quite yet.

Bruce specifically said 
"It doesn't take the world's greatest detective to realize that you responsible for all the executions!"
 so I'm pretty sure he's actually killing them. 

And now that I think about it, that issue really was trash. The beginning was okay, but once the middle hit it was kinda, yeah. 

Yeah, that's me.  :dunce:

I'll probably end up reading summaries of it on the DC Wikia. ComicVine gave this issue a 3/5 so I'm not really sure if I can trust their reviews any longer.

Regarding Son of Batman #2:

The whole thing was too abrupt. Damian goes from nearly killing Bruce and then being cast out of Wayne Manor by Alfred, to feeling tons of guilt and whining about not being worthy of having anything to do with the Batman legacy, to donning his own Batman costume within a span of, like, two pages. I thought the end goal of this mini-series was to show his ascension to the title of Batman, not to completely brush it off and do it without him earning the title.

The Pyg stuff had me confused. He wasn't wearing his mask, for one thing, which I thought was mandatory for him. But his "dollotrons" were also different from the ones in Morrison's stories (admittedly I'm only up to vol. 1 of Inc.) and had steel-tough skin or something.

And maybe it's just me, but when Bruce opened his eyes at Damian's "I am the next Batman!" line, I thought it was hilarious. It totally looked like Bruce regained consciousness just to roll his eyes.

Damian getting busted in the mouth and talking like Sylvester from Looney Tunes for three pages was also ridiculous in the worst way.

It's going to be really hard to stick with it, but I'm still hoping good sales will bring Damian back in some capacity. It worked for Jason Todd! That one issue of Hush sold so well that they decided to resurrect him for real. Money is what they care about, after all, good storytelling be damned.  

The Pyg stuff had me confused. He wasn't wearing his mask, for one thing, which I thought was mandatory for him. But his "dollotrons" were also different from the ones in Morrison's stories (admittedly I'm only up to vol. 1 of Inc.) and had steel-tough skin or something.

And maybe it's just me, but when Bruce opened his eyes at Damian's "I am the next Batman!" line, I thought it was hilarious. It totally looked like Bruce regained consciousness just to roll his eyes
I'd never even heard of Pyg. Even so, that part seemed really out of place and unexplained. Those kids were weird.

I only noticed him opening his eyes when I read through it again to summarize it and I chortled a bit. Christ.

Speaking of Jason Todd, is anyone reading Red Hood and the Outlaws? My friend told me it was good (and messed up) so I'm kinda looking forward to reading it, probably after I catch up with Nightwing.

I'd never even heard of Pyg. Even so, that part seemed really out of place and unexplained. Those kids were weird.

I only noticed him opening his eyes when I read through it again to summarize it and I chortled a bit. Christ.

Speaking of Jason Todd, is anyone reading Red Hood and the Outlaws? My friend told me it was good (and messed up) so I'm kinda looking forward to reading it, probably after I catch up with Nightwing.
I'm not up to date on Red Hood and the Outlaws (I plan on catching up and adding it to my sub once Forever Evil is over with, though) but I have the first two paperbacks. I've loved it since issue 1. It gets a lot of flak for the way Starfire's character was butchered, and people say both she and Arsenal don't get enough spotlight, but I've been reading it for Red Hood himself anyway and I have not been disappointed.

It's like the comic equivalent of summer blockbuster action movies. There are quips, guns, a high body count... and occasionally ninjas and/or spiritual mumbo jumbo to spice up the formula. Ooh, and don't forget the occasional alien shenanigans. It's pretty enjoyable to read, in my opinion.

Sales didn't bring back Jason Todd. A writer with no ideas brought back Jason Todd.
Nah, Didio and Lee specifically mentioned on Fat Man on Batman that the sales for that one issue of Hush is what convinced them the character was ready for a comeback. I'm sure the case could still be made that the writer who got to do it was out of ideas, though. Was he really brought back by someone punching reality itself? I've only seen the Under the Red Hood version of the story.

Nah, Didio and Lee specifically mentioned on Fat Man on Batman that the sales for that one issue of Hush is what convinced them the character was ready for a comeback. I'm sure the case could still be made that the writer who got to do it was out of ideas, though. Was he really brought back by someone punching reality itself? I've only seen the Under the Red Hood version of the story.
Bleh, that just leaves a bad taste in my mouth and yeah Superboy Prime (who becomes Superman Prime after a lawsuit and now known as nothing after the new 52) basically punched out his reality he was stuck in after Crisis on Infinite Earths after watching the then DC Universe grow darker and darker and it caused ripples through the then DC Universe including Jason Todd basically waking up in his own grave. They better explained it in his Infinite Crisis tie in, but that's the basic gist and yeah it would've been alot easier to just say Ra's Al Ghul, but they had to tie it in with the big crossover at the time I guess.

Comixology has the X-Men vs. Avengers collection for $20... since it has been terribly confusing for me, a newb, to understand what is and is not included in the bundle (apparently several crossovers are missing?!), I ain't buying it. There's also a few DC volumes up for Cyber Monday, for those who might care.

Comixology has the X-Men vs. Avengers collection for $20... since it has been terribly confusing for me, a newb, to understand what is and is not included in the bundle (apparently several crossovers are missing?!), I ain't buying it. There's also a few DC volumes up for Cyber Monday, for those who might care.
Thanks for posting this! I always forget to check comixology. I forgot to get The Dark Knight vol. 1 the last time it was on sale, but I got it this time around.

I read the three marvel specials that made up the Arms of the Octopus storyline and I enjoyed it a lot. I also got bought an ebay lot of the first 32 issues of Secret Avengers. I don't know anything about the series, but I'm looking forward to checking it out.

I enjoyed the beginning of Secret Avengers, but when they started shaking up the creative team I dropped. I haven't picked it up since. I've got entirely way too many books with "Avengers" in it on my pull list. And nobody should ever buy Avengers vs X-Men. Outside of Coipel's stunning art (which is only there a few issues), it's pretty much a train wreck.

I read the free prelude and thought it blew chunks. If #0 doesn't get you excited to follow the series, that's a really, really good sign you shouldn't buy in.

bread's done
Back