Comic Book Discussion Thread (Marvel, DC, Image, Dark Horse, Top Cow, IDW, Indy, etc)

Really want to like Harley Quinn. I Enjoy the art by Hardin and I loved Conner and Palmiotti's Power Girl, but fuuuuck the writing feels so half assed with no real direction. Two issues in and I want to drop it, but I want to give it one more issue out of blind hope that it'll suddenly turn around. Can anyone write Harley Quinn besides Paul Dini? ANYONE?

Also I feel more excited about DC's live action TV projects a billion times more than Man of Steel 2/Batman vs. Superman/Justice League or whatever they're calling it.
Yeah, my excitement levels are through the roof when it comes to the various DC tv shows that are in development.

Superman vs Batman? Eh. Showing me a pic of the new batsuit might help, but really... even if it does indeed turn out to be a secret Justice League movie, my excitement for it has bottomed out. The supposed delay really killed the hype.

Has anyone here ever used DCBS (Discount Comic Book Service) before? I'm really, REALLY trying to give them a shot... but I've made two orders through them and they were both wrong when they arrived. I'm just trying to decide whether or not to give them another chance, but I've got tons of pre-orders through them and I can't say that I have any confidence that I'll get what I paid for. I'm still waiting for a reply on Monday from their customer service to see how they deal with their latest screw-up.

Anyone else looking forward to Dredd Underbelly and/or Serenity: Leaves on the Wind #1? First (paper/single issue) comics I'll be buying in years.

I'm interested in Leaves on the Wind. I'm curious to see how they tie-up the few loose ends from the series and movie. Plus, all (few) previous Firefly comics have pretty stellar. The last I believe was the Wash one-shot from a few years back.

Yeah, my excitement levels are through the roof when it comes to the various DC tv shows that are in development.

Superman vs Batman? Eh. Showing me a pic of the new batsuit might help, but really... even if it does indeed turn out to be a secret Justice League movie, my excitement for it has bottomed out. The supposed delay really killed the hype.

Has anyone here ever used DCBS (Discount Comic Book Service) before? I'm really, REALLY trying to give them a shot... but I've made two orders through them and they were both wrong when they arrived. I'm just trying to decide whether or not to give them another chance, but I've got tons of pre-orders through them and I can't say that I have any confidence that I'll get what I paid for. I'm still waiting for a reply on Monday from their customer service to see how they deal with their latest screw-up.
I've used DCBS for about 2 years now with no problem. The one issue I had was thanks to FedEx losing a box, but when I contacted DCBS about it they offered to send a replacement with whatever they still had in stock right away. Fortunately the original box turned up, but the experience was pretty good for customer service.

Every shipment has been perfect so far, so I'm surprised to hear they messed up 2 shipments for you. Hope their customer service works out!

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been looking forward to Serenity: Leaves on the Wind as well, although I've not read any of the other Firefly comics. I'm not the most die-hard fan of the show but I do enjoy it quite a bit. I'll probably end up rewatching the series before I read the comic.

I've used DCBS for about 2 years now with no problem. The one issue I had was thanks to FedEx losing a box, but when I contacted DCBS about it they offered to send a replacement with whatever they still had in stock right away. Fortunately the original box turned up, but the experience was pretty good for customer service.

Every shipment has been perfect so far, so I'm surprised to hear they messed up 2 shipments for you. Hope their customer service works out!
That's good to hear. I had a feeling that it was just some bad luck, 'cause I've never heard any other negative things about them. Always nice to get more reassurance though.

Everytime the young X-men make an appearance I'm always waiting for something to happen with Angel. Either he finds out what happens to him later on or something. At one point way way back he was interested, that was probably like 8 months ago. Cyclops, Beast, Ice Man, and Jean all know what happen to them in the future but Angel just seems to be in the background hanging around doing nothing.

He also reminds me how good the Dark Angel Saga was.

Edit:

Also it seems the bride of Deadpool is out and about. I'm not going to spoil what the story is, but I kind of wish they dragged Outlaw out (from wherever she has been the last 6+ years) because she seemed to be the only currently living female character who actually liked Deadpool as Deadpool. If they didn't want to use Outlaw, then resurrect Copycat. She was a DP stalker way back.

It seems they are kind of distancing themselves from everything from the older DP comics. Blind Al, Weasel, Hydra Bob, etc. They all seemed to have pretty much disappeared. Even when they last appeared it was only for like 1 issue way back (except for Bob who hung around for a few).

I meant to post this sooner than tonight, but anyone else stoked about Earth 2 Annual 2 this week? I know that it was leaked over a year ago that it was
Thomas Wayne
but I am still quite excited to see how he's so goddamned immortal.

I Want to believe the Lazarus Pit is a different thing entirely from the one seen in Earth One. Meaning Wolverine regenerative capabilities are possible and also writers love bringing that up during any Batman story in some way to bring people back.

You know...reading how the new Earth 2 Batman came to be...well, I wish they had just done something with the Lazarus Pit instead. It would've had me saying "Wait, what?" alot less. Instead of
Thomas Wayne faked his death and is Metamorpho/Hourman/Batman

Besides that I read Dredd: Underbelly so far from my pickups this week. Not bad, it's really a DVD extra of a story, but with really nothing grounded. Though if it shows them I loved that movie then I'm all for buying it.

I loved the Earth 2 Annual. Fantastic writing and even though his identity wasn't a surprise, how he does what he does was.

Superior Spidey and Invincible were also great reads.

Best stuff this week: 

Thor: God of Thunder #18 - Jason Aaron has been absolutely brilliant on this book since it launched and with Esad Ribic coming back on pencils for the next story arc, this might just be the best book on the market not titled Swamp Thing.

Serenity: Leaves on the Wind #1 - I must admit I was hesitant when I learned this series was Post-Serenity, but the entire creative team blew me away. Every character sounded like their TV/movie counterparts, especially
the return of motherfucking Jubal Early!

Has anyone else watched the other Justice League animated movie that released recently? JLA Adventures: Trapped in Time.

Apparently it's a remake of an episode of Super Friends, and involves Lex Luthor traveling back in time to keep Superman from ever growing up on Earth. I'm halfway through it and, surprisingly enough, I'm liking it. There's nothing particularly outstanding about it, it's just fun.

They also brought back Deidrich Bader as Batman, so that's cool. I like how the Batsuit is a hybrid of the classic Silver Age look and the armored New 52 outfit. Robin is pretty funny too, being equal parts bratty and badass. Superman looks pretty goofy though, and Cheetah's design is especially bad. 

A lot of the focus is on Karate Kid and Dawnstar, who I'm not familiar with, but it's still an okay little cartoon.

Best stuff this week:

Thor: God of Thunder #18 - Jason Aaron has been absolutely brilliant on this book since it launched and with Esad Ribic coming back on pencils for the next story arc, this might just be the best book on the market not titled Swamp Thing.

Serenity: Leaves on the Wind #1 - I must admit I was hesitant when I learned this series was Post-Serenity, but the entire creative team blew me away. Every character sounded like their TV/movie counterparts, especially
the return of motherfucking Jubal Early!
I need to catch up with Thor. I'm a few issues behind. Damn did I love God bomb. One of the best Thor stories in years.

Megaman-X-Promo-Image-Final-Art-blank-version-2.jpg

As you all know mega man and mega man x are set in the same time line but we never know what happens to mega man and his crew during the x timeline. Looks like archie comics is going to jump into that topic?

Megaman-X-Promo-Image-Final-Art-blank-version-2.jpg

As you all know mega man and mega man x are set in the same time line but we never know what happens to mega man and his crew during the x timeline. Looks like archie comics is going to jump into that topic?
Ooh... now that is pretty damn interesting. Can't wait!

Didn't Wily turn future Mega Man into Quint then sent him to the past. Past Mega Man defeated Quint essentially killing his future self.

An X story arc has been high demand ever since the series started. Can't wait. Afterwards I wouldn't be surprised to see a spin off in the X timeline.

Didn't Wily turn future Mega Man into Quint then sent him to the past. Past Mega Man defeated Quint essentially killing his future self.

An X story arc has been high demand ever since the series started. Can't wait. Afterwards I wouldn't be surprised to see a spin off in the X timeline.
Yeah, I believe they said that if the X back-up stories gave the series a big enough boost in sales then they would give him his own book.

Yeah on the GB games but even in comics even if you kill your future self it doesn't change your past self it just shows what can be still doesn't account for dr.light,wily,bass,proto man, roll. How wily created zero etc

I always thought the whole Quint/ Mega Man idea was a shitty way to explain Mega Man's fate anyway, but I always hear people throw it around like it's gospel. Besides it's a GB Mega Man game, it's throw away story concept at best.

This featurette is a great preview of the upcoming Son Of Batman animated movie.

Unfortunately it sounds like Nightwing is going to take Tim Drake's role from the Batman and Son storyline. Man, Tim just can't catch a break anymore.

I liked everything else I saw, though Jason O'Mara still seems to be trying a little too hard as Batman. Some of his lines were good, some were terrible. The Deathstroke stuff looks great, can't wait to see it play out.

I'm torn on Uncanny Avengers. I Want the Apocalypse Twin arc to end since it's been going on for over a year now, but fuck the last few issues have been so brutal and full of action that I kinda don't want it to end. Especially with Steve McNiven on art, which has kicked things up alot more.

And light week this week, finally...

Started the current Hawkeye comic and I'm really enjoying it. The art is neat and the story so far is good, although I'm only two issues in. My first Marvel comic in a while. It's a nice refresher after about three weeks of not touching comics at all.

Started the current Hawkeye comic and I'm really enjoying it. The art is neat and the story so far is good, although I'm only two issues in. My first Marvel comic in a while. It's a nice refresher after about three weeks of not touching comics at all.
It's so good I wish they could make a Hawkeye movie this way but it wouldn't make sense to do. In my top 2 marvel series with Daredevil.

Don't be in any hurry to catch up. The book is so late that Marvel skipped issue 15 and published 16 because David Aja is so late with the art. As you get further into the series there will be a revolving roster of artists on the book due to his chronic lateness.

Don't be in any hurry to catch up. The book is so late that Marvel skipped issue 15 and published 16 because David Aja is so late with the art. As you get further into the series there will be a revolving roster of artists on the book due to his chronic lateness.
Alriiiight, it's like they're asking me to pick up the comics in trade form only. I Can live with that.

Well, hope you all enjoyed douche bag Superman in Justice League: War because the plan now is three animated films a year. Two taking place in a 52 based continuity  (JL:War and Batman: Son of Batman) and one standalone (Batman: Arkham). I'm...kinda torn by this. Though I wouldn't mind a more streamlined way of them telling Azarello's Wonder Woman's first arc if that were ever possible.

Really? I didn't even realize this.

Is anybody trying to go to SD Comic-Con this year?

Prereg is Saturday for people who went last year. I'm not sure if I'm feeling lucky this year. Two years ago I managed to get the whole weekend and preview night. Last year I got the weekend but no preview night (then bought scalped preview night passes from a con worker).

This year I feel like it will be harder. The way they are doing it is easier, but I feel like without the fighting it will be harder to get better tickets. There is no more crazy refreshing (supposedly). You have a two hour window to hop into the waiting area. Then at the end of two hours everyone is assigned a random number in line. If you were the first one in the waiting room you might be the last number on the list. I don't mind missing out on preview night (scalpers again if I have to) but missing out on a Saturday would be a kick in the pants.

Dont know how many John romita Jr fans there are here, but looks like he is headed to DC and doin some Superman with Geoff Johns at the helm.
His work of the last few years hasn't been quite up to his previous work but if he has Tom Palmer inking him then he should do OK.

His leaving Marvel is pretty big news though. He's worked there literally for decades.

I thought this was a good watch xmen days of future past character breakdown on empire magazine covers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_PiFeXcr6M

So Dr.Doom maybe a lady in the new Fantastic Four movie.

That's almost Zack Snyder casting levels of absurdity, but it maybe just a Doombot so who knows. Plus did I miss something about in between the First Lantern and Forever Evil with
Sinestro
? Like he appears with no explanation and it's apparent he's our version of the character not Crime Syndicate Universe version one.

I thought this was a good watch xmen days of future past character breakdown on empire magazine covers
I Kinda feel bad for her and all those metaphorical 14 year old girls because Blink is probably just going to be cannon fodder for the future Sentinel/Nimrod. If anyone who doesn't read the comics or aware of her character even remember her name after the movie, I'll be surprised. Though I do like her design the most I think amongst all the future X universe characters. In short, lady cosplayers, get to work on that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_PiFeXcr6M
That's interesting; I just noticed Quicksilver will be in both the new Xmen and Avengers movies. I wonder how it all works out between the studios.

DoFP Quicksilver looks pretty bad. The lead from Kick-ass will play QS in Avengers.

I think they(marvel studios) can use Quicksilver as long as they don't mention he's a mutie.

yeah one side can't call them mutants because its been copyrighted or something goofy I don't know who got what I also think they can't mention they're the children of magneto or something.

Marvel gets to use Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch but can really only call them gifted as any mutant reference is not allowed. No references to any mutant heritage of any sort, on the flipside Fox can't talk about either of the two's Avenger teammates/shenanigans. It'll be interesting to see how this plays out, but the casting on the Avenger's side looks to have been better, in theory anyway. We wont know for sure until both movies are out.

If I remember everything correctly Fox has all Mutants and Fantastic Four, Sony has Spider-man and all his group, and Namor is at Universal Pictures. Even though Fox has the Fantastic Four I don't believe they got the entire history of characters as Marvel has Black Panther and Inhuman stuff in planning I believe so the Fantastic Four deal must've been sliced up a bit before hand on what they were allowed to use. I'm really surprised that deal didn't somehow include the Inhumans.

Quicksilver seems like a much more important character in Avengers 2. From what I take from Singer's comments about the character, he seems like a plot device in one scene of Last Stand that was originally written as a young Jaggernaut in the role. So I doubt the casting matters too much.

I'm having trouble with my current online comic book service (Mail Order Comics) I might have to switch. Any suggestions for an alternative?

I really cut back on my pull list. Only about 10 comics a month. I just haven't had much interest in reading most of my stuff. The only books I want to keep up with are Walking Dead, Fables, Saga, Guardians of the Galaxy, Spider-Man, All New X-Men, Mega Man, and a few others.

If they mess up days of future past, I'm gonna be pissed. Quicksilver looks like a scene kid. I hope they don't really screw it up. They already had the original characters in the previous movies, so IDK why they are changing up the storyline or why Bishop is involved. Maybe he is popular to current readers?

I just watched Justice League New Frontier and I have to say I really enjoyed it. DC seems to be doing the whole animated thing really well. (Yes I know it came out in 2007 or something :p)

bread's done
Back