Comic Book Discussion Thread (Marvel, DC, Image, Dark Horse, Top Cow, IDW, Indy, etc)

My comic shop only sold the Spider-Woman variant covers to actual people buying the book every week. Props.
Good on them.

Kinda reminds me of the Spider-Man Barack Obama issue were non comic readers were clamoring to get the variant. I really wanted one but wasn't able to get the variant, instead I got the normal cover, despite buying every issue of Spidey for years. Then I over hear a co-worker (who I know doesn't read comic) getting an issue and showing it off. I wont lie I was a little jelly.

I just noticed on the Gamestop PUR site they added variants for Star Wars #1, S.H.I.E.L.D #1 and Army of Darkness #1.  All of them are 8000 points each.

Star Wars #1 - Limited to 10000
star_wars_comic.jpg
S.H.I.E.L.D #1 - Limited to 3000
shield_comic.jpg
Army of Darkness #1 - Limited to 1000
armyofdarkness_comic.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Is there any place online you guys buy back issues? I'm looking so a random few books and while I find them on ebay or amazon, they usually want 4$ for shipping on top of the 1$-4$ price of the book.

I tried looking for someone selling a few to combine shipping but they never have enough to make me pull the trigger.

I have 3 places semi-local I check out and all came up short.

Is there any place online you guys buy back issues? I'm looking so a random few books and while I find them on ebay or amazon, they usually want 4$ for shipping on top of the 1$-4$ price of the book.

I tried looking for someone selling a few to combine shipping but they never have enough to make me pull the trigger.

I have 3 places semi-local I check out and all came up short.
Unfortunately, shipping costs are going to be pretty much the same regardless of where you look. mycomicshop.com's rates are fairly reasonable from what I can remember from the last time I bought from them. MHC is running a 50% sale on back issues right now (codeword: HOLIDAY) so they would be worth at least giving a look.

http://www.mycomicshop.com/?gclid=CI34qpiZ1sICFYtr7AodBBUAqw

http://www.milehighcomics.com/

Yeah, I've looked into this myself since my local shop is small and run by 2 college kids. They sell out of new books quickly and back issue stock is limited. Amazon doesn't seem to even sell new issues directly through Prims, much less back issues. Their prices on TPBs look reasonable.

Seems like the best bet would be to place a larger order to offset shipping costs, unfortunately. Sucks because I'm trying to catch up on so many years of books.

I've noticed Chuck's books are cheaper on eBay than on his Milehigh site. MyComicshop is well designed for ease of use and they do have reasonable prices. Thankfully I live in an area with a big comic book store, so back issues are not a problem, especially if they cost $1.

You actually can't buy one comic book and expect free shipping. ;) That's why they want $5 at first, since they can't just throw the comic in a padded envelope.

Anyway, I borrowed the first volume of the new 52 Firestorm and I'm wondering if Gail Simone is parodying 1990s EXTREME comics. The Gerry Conway series was rather fun to read, but this new series is just making me gag. Innocent children get killed by a bunch of American terrorist mercenaries, who would be the heroes of an Image comic, and there's at least FIVE Firestorms? I've another reason to want the Flash to remake the Universe once again.

A lucky friend of mine got his hands on a preview copy of Marvel's Star Wars #1 with the retailer-exclusive variant cover. Only 2 given to each store that received them!

2yy2m9c.jpg

Is anyone going to pick up the new Squirrel Girl series? I'm not feeling the art direction for it, but maybe I could get used to it.

I bet Deadpool will pop up a few times eventually.

Now, let us all reflect on the fact that Wolverine at some point in the past has hooked up with Squirrel Girl who is a high school girl.

IMO, it looks much better than the arc he did on Uncanny Avengers.  I love his stuff but he definitely needs a lot of lead time.

Is anyone going to pick up the new Squirrel Girl series? I'm not feeling the art direction for it, but maybe I could get used to it.

Now, let us all reflect on the fact that Wolverine at some point in the past has hooked up with Squirrel Girl who is a high school girl.
Yes, I am going to be picking it up. It looks really fun.

Wolverine also tried boning a high school age or so Mary Jane in the Ultimate universe when him and Peter switched bodies. Nothing stops Wolverine, be it death, reoccuring villains with healing factors or age of consent.

To be fair to Wolverine I believe the age of consent is applied to the body not the mind in the Parker/Watson situation. Squirrel Girl though, no real excuse though it could depend when it happened. She was like 15 or so when introduced and even with Marvel's severely slowed down timeline she would possibly be in her early 20s by now.....possibly.....

Hey, she could be in her early 20s in the past 25 years, considering Spider-Man is STILL 29 as he was in 1989. So there is plenty of place on the time-line for Wolverine and Squirrel-Girl.

I believe the new series with Squirrel Girl is going to have her enrolling in school as a college freshmen. So probably 18 or 19 now (maybe even 20 is she is late to start because of beating Modok and Dr. Doom), and the Wolvie incident happened some deal of time before she starting being Luke Cage's babysitter.

Wolverine also tried boning a high school age or so Mary Jane in the Ultimate universe when him and Peter switched bodies. Nothing stops Wolverine, be it death, reoccuring villains with healing factors or age of consent.
To be fair, Ultimate Wolverine was a little bit of a dirtbag, kind of like most of the "edgier" Ultimate counterparts...

Do HC and TPB collections always get released later on Amazon than in comic stores? I just found out Death of Wolverine comes out tomorrow, yet Amazon won't have it til the 20th.

To be fair to Wolverine I believe the age of consent is applied to the body not the mind in the Parker/Watson situation. Squirrel Girl though, no real excuse though it could depend when it happened. She was like 15 or so when introduced and even with Marvel's severely slowed down timeline she would possibly be in her early 20s by now.....possibly.....
That doesn't make it any less creepy...AT ALL.

Didn't say it was any less creepy, just throwing out a possible defense. The Wolverine character has always had the close relationships with younger female mutants, add in the fact the character is over 100 years old he is the ultimate creepy "Uncle" of the entire X-men family.

Do HC and TPB collections always get released later on Amazon than in comic stores? I just found out Death of Wolverine comes out tomorrow, yet Amazon won't have it til the 20th.
I believe it's usually a two week delay. If you went to your local comic shop it should probably be there already. Or check out sites like instocktrades or cheapgraphicnovels.

I Hope when Wolverine inevitably comes back that he comes back as Creepy Uncle and no one knows that it's Wolverine until 6 months or so in. Kinda like how Wolverine "died", but was actually kidnapped by Apocalypse to be the Horsemen Death.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=xInh3VhAWs8

I Don't know, I'll see it, but trailer did nothing for me and none of the imagery or whatever got me excited. Plus back of my head I just kept thinking "I Wonder what Edgar Wright's version would look like".

After watching Shaun of the Dead again, I wondered what it would be like if Simon Pegg played Ant-Man in a heist movie. It would probably be using the same scheming narration structure, but would've been hilarious. Though I wonder if the Marvel execs were that willing to put their trust in Edgar Wright on a multi-hundred million dollar project in the end, though it's a damn shame that there are very little mid-range budget movie these days ie in the single-digit millions.

I can't say I'm excited about THIS Ant-Man trailer, but I have enough hope for the movie for it to do well. I don't like that Michael Douglas has a beard, and this one is framed to be some kind of action movie.

Agent Carter last night was great. Why did it take so long for Hayley Atwell to get her own tv series?! They should've kept chugging serials in the Marvel movies like Pixar does with its short films!

I Hope when Wolverine inevitably comes back that he comes back as Creepy Uncle and no one knows that it's Wolverine until 6 months or so in. Kinda like how Wolverine "died", but was actually kidnapped by Apocalypse to be the Horsemen Death.
Isn't he technically back already?

I thought they were both good but I actually enjoyed Ant-man more.
Got around to reading Ant-man, certainly worth it. I'm sure I get pick up Squirrel Girl later.

And I couldn't pick up Squirrel b/c the one copy at the store I went to had a tear in the back. Why buy it at that point? Should be new.

Got around to reading Ant-man, certainly worth it. I'm sure I get pick up Squirrel Girl later.

And I couldn't pick up Squirrel b/c the one copy at the store I went to had a tear in the back. Why buy it at that point? Should be new.
That's cool. I'm sure you'll pick it up later. I din't get a chance to pick up Ant Man but I've heard good things.

I ordered the New 52 Justice League Volume 1 TPB from Amazon for $8.72 earlier today. Also picked up the following 5 books from a local store:

• Ant-Man #1
• S.H.I.E.L.D #1
• The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl #1
• Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles / Ghostbusters #3
• Bucky Barnes: The Winter Soldier #3

Still haven't even gotten to read the hardcover of Harley Quinn Volume 1: Hot In The City that I got a couple days ago. Lots to look forward to.

Those are good picks, Matt.

I recently got a 10-inch Android tablet specifically for reading comics that I bought from Humble Bundles, etc and Marvel Unlimited. I picked up a lot of books from Dark Horse/Star Wars and Comixology during the holiday sales, and I'm loving it.

They put the first issues on sale a lot of the time, and with some of these books (like TMNT/Ghostbusters and Hellboy and the RIPD 1952) I'll have to start buying the subsequent issues individually. A lot different from my previous "only buy hardcover omnibuses and collections" stance, but reading a variety of new books on the tablet is way too convenient.

I got in on the "pay what you want" tier of the Star Wars Humble Bundle and have all the free stuff from Comixology, but I just don't like digital comics anywhere near as much as physical. I'm the same way with books and e-reader stuff. I only go digital when it's free or almost free, just out of personal preference.

Now that I follow enough ongoing monthly titles, I'll probably create a Comixology pull list for my local store. Amazon seems to have good deals on most TPBs and some hardcovers that will allow me to catch up on all sorts of the past 20 years... slowly.

Marvel comics are five bucks a pop now? No wonder everbody waits for the trades. I want the new Ant Man, but I don't know if I $5 want it.

bread's done
Back