Comic Book Discussion Thread (Marvel, DC, Image, Dark Horse, Top Cow, IDW, Indy, etc)

You guys know any sites that are good for trading codes for digital copies of comics?  I saw the thread here doesn't seem to be active anymore, unless I'm missing something.

Star Wars #1 was actually...a fun read. Probably the most fun I've had with Star Wars since the original Clone Wars cartoon.

And I even dare say....WORTH FIVE BUCKS (but my shop had it on sale for 25% off so...).

Last edited by a moderator:
Those particular #1 issues also contain about 40-50% more pages than a standard issue. S.H.I.E.L.D. #1 was the same way, and now #2 has released at $3.99.

What would be cool if Marvel/DC brings back the digest comic format, but they aren't as collectible as single issues for some reason, even if the 80s ones at my local store keeps selling.

Today's pickups were numerically sequential!

• Star Wars #1
• S.H.I.E.L.D. #2
• All-New Captain America #3
• Deathlok #4

Also got a free Star Wars button and a print of the Skottie Young variant cover. Probably the case for many.

Anyone want to express an opinion on the Image ordering thing? Seems kinda' worse than many alternatives out there.
Can you inform me how it compares in price to the alternatives? I don't pick up singles myself so I'm not sure if this new direct-buy deal is smart or not. I guess the main positive as a buyer, is that your money is most likely going straight to the company itself.

Can you inform me how it compares in price to the alternatives? I don't pick up singles myself so I'm not sure if this new direct-buy deal is smart or not. I guess the main positive as a buyer, is that your money is most likely going straight to the company itself.
I looked at the website and it seems you pay up front for a subscription (like forty or so bucks, depends on the series). Technically comes with a discount, 30 percent I believe, or 35 if you subscribe to EVERYTHING. However, a place like Midtown Comics offers this price for pre-orders with less commitment. Pretty sure they don't cover shipping as well. Just seems...like a bunch of eh.

Looking to see if anyone else surmised otherwise. Perhaps it has its advantages over ordering elsewhere, but I don't see it.

Perhaps the mention of going straight to the company is a positive, but you can consider it a negative. This has the potential to take significant profits from comic shops.

Found here: http://subscriptions.imagecomics.com/

EDIT: Here's the math

Subscribe to

And get this title for (updates in cart)

A savings of

At least 1

$ 35.88 for 12 issues (+ Shipping)

0% off cover price

At least 2

$ 32.29 for 12 issues (+ Shipping)

10% off cover price

At least 4

$ 28.70 for 12 issues (+ Shipping)

20% off cover price

At least 10

$ 25.12 for 12 issues (+ Shipping)

30% off cover price

Today's pickups were numerically sequential!

• Star Wars #1
• S.H.I.E.L.D. #2
• All-New Captain America #3
• Deathlok #4

Also got a free Star Wars button and a print of the Skottie Young variant cover. Probably the case for many.
Very similar to my pick-ups. I grabbed Nightcrawler and Amazing X-Men instead of Cap and Deathlok. I really liked the first issue of Star Wars but my only gripe was some of C-3PO's dialogue just didn't feel right.

Ok so I finally decided to read the death of wolverine and not sure where to start due to all the other stories I have heard about him and saber tooth before the death story.
Does anyone know if a vol set or possibly hard cover will be released. I have been out of the comic world for a while now and I'm trying to play catch up.

I also just recently found out someone has released Big Trouble in Little China comics, and since I am a big fan of the movie. I gotta hunt them down or just wait for the vol set on Amazon this spring/summer.

Well that is good news. Thanks. Where does the story begin or is the 4 issue set it ?
There was a series that led up to it, but it was done by a different writer than Death of Wolverine and people didn't seem to like it. I'd say just go with the 4 issue set.

My hardcover of Death of Wolverine just shipped from Amazon this morning. I started buying comics again the week after issue #1 came out. Wanted it, but the local store was sold out. So I waited. Only $19.07 right now before tax.

I also just recently found out someone has released Big Trouble in Little China comics, and since I am a big fan of the movie. I gotta hunt them down or just wait for the vol set on Amazon this spring/summer.

If you go to conventions, you may be able to find them in the 50 cent bins. It would probably be easier just to buy the trade though since it is from (idw?) a small publisher.

Well that is good news. Thanks. Where does the story begin or is the 4 issue set it ?

There was a series that led up to it, but it was done by a different writer than Death of Wolverine and people didn't seem to like it. I'd say just go with the 4 issue set.
I agree with moon_knight, you can easily skip the lead up series to it. I read it and I was not impressed.

Read up on some of the details released about Secret Wars/Battleword thing going on with Marvel starting in May......son of a bitch.

Read up on some of the details released about Secret Wars/Battleword thing going on with Marvel starting in May......son of a bitch.
Makes me glad Deadpool is getting killed off and seemingly won't have a book being published. I'd hate to have to buy a shit-ton of other books, maybe with higher prices, to try and understand what the hell is going on in the Marvel universe.

This is the end of the Ultimate line so they'll pick out a few people, probably just Miles Morales in reality, and move on. Hopefully they wrap up the different open items before then. The continuity in Marvel is going to be all sorts of confusing once this shit completes.

Onto the rogues in Flash series, love that they got Wentworth and Dominic playing off of each other again.

The image on the back cover of the Death of Wolverine hardcover is boss. That's the type of shit I'd get airbrushed on the side of my van if I was a 1980's hair metal pervert douchebag.

My hardcover of Death of Wolverine just shipped from Amazon this morning. I started buying comics again the week after issue #1 came out. Wanted it, but the local store was sold out. So I waited. Only $19.07 right now before tax.
You should check out sites like InStockTrades, which I use for most of my HC or TPB purchases. I'm also a little familiar with CheapGraphicNovels. There are other sites, but I wouldn't feel comfortable mentioning anything I haven't used more than once, even if they are good sites.

For instance, you could get Death of Wolverine for $14.49 + $4 S&H, packed in bomb proof packaging. If you happen to spend more than $50 in one go - maybe for those large orders or expensive books - you'll get free shipping. CheapGraphicNovels, unfortunately, charges $7 S&H regardless of order amount, but there prices are slightly lower. This would still require you to purchase a fair amount to come out ahead.

Thanks. I could definitely use more options. The price I paid on Amazon with Prime (slightly lower back when I pre-ordered) was about the same as that book would have been with shipping from the site you mentioned, but obviously that won't always hold true.

Happy to wear about Secret Wars. I'm trying to end most of my comics purchasing and I won't restart any marvel after this is over.

Happy to wear about Secret Wars. I'm trying to end most of my comics purchasing and I won't restart any marvel after this is over.
Same way I'm looking at it. Only Marvel books I've been buying are Deadpool and Spider-Man 2099, and I was looking to get back in with Marvel's comics (like Spider-Gwen for one) that wouldn't come with a whole lot of baggage. But between Deadpool dying, 2099 immediately getting caught up in a crossover I had no interest in reading, and now Secret Wars... I'm just saving a lot of money, really, by dropping Marvel altogether. Once Futures End and Batman Eternal are over, my comic budget will be reasonable again.

For anyone reading Spider-verse, how is it? Was curious about it since the concept of every video game unlockable version of Spider-man in a comic sounded stupidly enticing that I may pick up the trade/hardcover of it.

Thanks. I could definitely use more options. The price I paid on Amazon with Prime (slightly lower back when I pre-ordered) was about the same as that book would have been with shipping from the site you mentioned, but obviously that won't always hold true.
Sure. IST also has the random sales going on through out the year. The scrolling banners at the top show what's currently on sale. A few new releases get a 50% discount on week of release; I'm not sure which publishers qualify.

I looked and didn't see anyone mention it in this thread but today is the last day for the Image Humble Bundle.  It actually ends in 5 hours from the time of this post.  It's worth it just for Saga, Nailbiter and Southern Bastards.

EDIT: The bundle has changed to Archie now.

For anyone reading Spider-verse, how is it? Was curious about it since the concept of every video game unlockable version of Spider-man in a comic sounded stupidly enticing that I may pick up the trade/hardcover of it.
For me it's been hit or miss at times and trying to read the crossovers in the correct order has been interesting. I figure the hardcover I pre-ordered on discount from Amazon would make the event easier to read. I normally only buy Marvel trades of the Ultimate line but the Spider-verse thing seemed interesting and worth it.

Same way I'm looking at it. Only Marvel books I've been buying are Deadpool and Spider-Man 2099, and I was looking to get back in with Marvel's comics (like Spider-Gwen for one) that wouldn't come with a whole lot of baggage. But between Deadpool dying, 2099 immediately getting caught up in a crossover I had no interest in reading, and now Secret Wars... I'm just saving a lot of money, really, by dropping Marvel altogether. Once Futures End and Batman Eternal are over, my comic budget will be reasonable again.
I'm not going to be quick to drop off completely but this event will definitely bring it down quite a bit. I have a feeling we are going to have a larger Spider family at the end of Secret Wars as I feel they'll try to keep Gwen and Miles, most of 616 group, and then throw in Mayday most likely somehow. Who knows where the mutants will go or if they'll just wipe them out again somehow.

For me the New 52 was a jump on point for the DC Universe (had only read Batman and Batman related before that from DC), but it seems like the Secret Wars may just be a jump off point for me.

Just an easy way to reset everything to what they want. They can resurrect, retcon, and change whatever they feel like. Stuff like this is usually why I wish I just stuck to stuff from Image and the other non-DC and Marvel publishers.

So is Deadpool dying just in response to the Fox movie (to punish them)? I can't imagine it will be a permanent death since he is probably the most popular character aside from Wolverine. I wonder how they will actually do the death since he's already died before and grown back and has been cursed with eternal life (plus the healing factor).

Maybe this whole event will be a way for Disney to clean house of any characters they don't own the film rights too. All the multi-verse's mutants will be gathered in one spot for Galactus to sit on. He then eats the Fantastic Four and finally explodes after finally eating enough.

For me the New 52 was a jump on point for the DC Universe (had only read Batman and Batman related before that from DC), but it seems like the Secret Wars may just be a jump off point for me.

Just an easy way to reset everything to what they want. They can resurrect, retcon, and change whatever they feel like. Stuff like this is usually why I wish I just stuck to stuff from Image and the other non-DC and Marvel publishers.

So is Deadpool dying just in response to the Fox movie (to punish them)? I can't imagine it will be a permanent death since he is probably the most popular character aside from Wolverine. I wonder how they will actually do the death since he's already died before and grown back and has been cursed with eternal life (plus the healing factor).

Maybe this whole event will be a way for Disney to clean house of any characters they don't own the film rights too. All the multi-verse's mutants will be gathered in one spot for Galactus to sit on. He then eats the Fantastic Four and finally explodes after finally eating enough.
How would Marvel ending one of their better selling books punish fox?

How would Marvel ending one of their better selling books punish fox?
Oh I agree it is stupid, but from what I've read that is the main reason why Marvel has been ending and putting some characters into hiding. Like with the Fantastic Four, stating that there will be no more new X-men and they are going to downplay mutants, etc.

Cutting off their nose to spite their face.

Keep in mind that any Disney/Marvel excecs asked about this subject constantly says they aren't doing any of it to align things with their cinematic universe, and cut out characters they don't own, but... it seems to be lies.

It's not necessarily about hurting Fox, or even Sony. It just seems to be a case of Disney and/or Marvel not wanting any effort at all being put into characters who cannot be used in their movies or tv series. Think about Big Hero Six. When asked why the Marvel heritage of it wasn't being played up quite as much as it could be in the marketing, they flat-out said they have no interest in touting anything they have to share profits or rights for - and in that case it was regarding Pixar being behind the movie rather than Marvel Studios. Now, if they weren't willing to play ball with Pixar as much as they could... think about their relationships (or lack of) with Fox and Sony.

That's just how I interpret things, though.

I hope Marvel does it like post-Crisis on Infinite Earths and NOT Post-Flashpoint, especially when they are way popular with the family and kids due to the great work of the movie and tv divisions. I'm not wild about the current universe ending, but there were signs of it starting from the 1990s, considering the company can't very well put a 3 real years = 1 year sort of thing anymore, which was extremely evident in the past 15 years.

DC Media is great with TV, but since they haven't made a cartoon on TV in quite a while, they skew toward teenagers and up. I liked Snyder's Batman, but stuff like Starfire, Harley x Deadshot, Firestorms, and whatever "edgy" and "mature" direction DC is heading toward doesn't really work if it's only for shock value (which is a general problem with comic books).

Question regarding InStockTrades and Marvel: Certain books I'm interested in, such as Uncanny Avengers, don't have hardcover versions of volume 1 of their respective collections available; only paperback. Amazon sells the hardcover versions. Just curious if there's a reason.

So, any thoughts on Venom's new look? I actually like it a lot, particularly how he's back to being bigger and more bulky. He looks like something out of Mass Effect.

Also, Milestone Media is back - and supposedly they retain the rights to all of their characters. I'm really curious where this puts Static, both in regards to DC comics as well as the recently-announced live-action web series.

I Almost want to complain, but then I remember I've been looking for an excuse to drop more comics and Archie and Image Comics are still around so...Archie and Image Comics are the future of comics!

I Think I'll still pick up Secret War only because I've supported all of Hickman's goddamn Avengers titles this far (minus Avengers World, because I was giving less and less of a fuck). Then again I dropped Axis by issue three and I loved Uncanny Avengers.

Also if Silver Surfer by Slott and Allred are ending they can eat a thousand dicks.

Well, I just found out Deadpool indeed won't have a book after his death. Part of me was hoping there would be a "Deadpool in hell" story that could happen outside of all the upcoming shake-ups, but ehh, that was wishful thinking. Shame. I really ended up liking Shiklah, and the rest of his new supporting cast really grew on me as well. Poopy.

So, I just found out there is a Resident Evil manga that is being translated and released in several volumes. A comic book would be ideal (I'm not a manga guy AT ALL), but holy hell am I gonna be all over this. It remains my favorite game series to this day. It's called Marhawa Desire, if anyone else is interested. I know where my extra comic money will be going.

Oh yeah, and regarding Venom's new look: it finally occurred to me what it really reminds me of. The Destroyer armor. Moreso because of the way his head is drawn, but the overall design is somewhat reminiscent, I think.

Oh yeah, and regarding Venom's new look: it finally occurred to me what it really reminds me of. The Destroyer armor. Moreso because of the way his head is drawn, but the overall design is somewhat reminiscent, I think.
I haven't followed anything with Venom since they just cancelled the series mid-run a few years ago. I don't think they ever even settled the story. Venom and the new symbiote it spit off had like the mark of Mesphito on it and people were chasing him and the new girl around. New girl was very bitter and murderous and Flash was trying to keep her in line.

Question regarding InStockTrades and Marvel: Certain books I'm interested in, such as Uncanny Avengers, don't have hardcover versions of volume 1 of their respective collections available; only paperback. Amazon sells the hardcover versions. Just curious if there's a reason.
I would imagine it's just lack of stock. IST won't list a book unless it's in-stock or available for re-order. If a few searches doesn't turn up what you want then it's safe to assume it's not available on IST.

DC does have Teen Titans Go, a show which seems to cater more to people who drop acid than to normal children.
Lord help me, but I love that show lol. I was a fan of the original show when it was on so I get a good chuckle when I catch an episode of Go on tv. I don't even need the acid!

I hope Marvel does it like post-Crisis on Infinite Earths and NOT Post-Flashpoint, especially when they are way popular with the family and kids due to the great work of the movie and tv divisions. I'm not wild about the current universe ending, but there were signs of it starting from the 1990s, considering the company can't very well put a 3 real years = 1 year sort of thing anymore, which was extremely evident in the past 15 years.

DC Media is great with TV, but since they haven't made a cartoon on TV in quite a while, they skew toward teenagers and up. I liked Snyder's Batman, but stuff like Starfire, Harley x Deadshot, Firestorms, and whatever "edgy" and "mature" direction DC is heading toward doesn't really work if it's only for shock value (which is a general problem with comic books).
Wasn't Young Justice recent? I don't think anything will be as good as JLU was sadly. I was partial to Teen Titans though and Young Justice looked like a great show that just didn't get a chance to suceed.

Teen Titans Go is something I never turn on intentionally but often watch if my TV is already on Cartoon Network due to the previous night's Adult Swim. That dream sequence episode was just hilarious.

Young Justice was a really good show. It sucks that they cancelled it so quickly. Recently, I've begun watching the early 2000's Justice League animated series on Netflix.

Another question, if you guys don't mind. I just ordered that Uncanny Avengers Volume 1 hardcover. How confused might I be if I read that without having read the Avengers vs. X-Men story arc which preceded it?

I know I normally complain about every change, but I am completely fine with whatever they do to venom. The symbiote can change form and in theory should look different with each host.

bread's done
Back