Comic Book Discussion Thread (Marvel, DC, Image, Dark Horse, Top Cow, IDW, Indy, etc)

Eh, they're still good enough to own on 3D Blu-ray. Honestly, in the pantheon of superhero movies in my lifetime, both ASM films would certainly be in the upper 50% in terms of quality.
That's extremely high praise. They'd definitely be in the bottom 50% for me. But I like the FF movies so what do I know?

My pickups for today:

Darth Vader #1 (Regular and Skottie Young variant) - I read this while I was on lunch and I really enjoyed it. 

Justice League United #9

Southern Bastards #7 

Star Wars #2 

Last edited by a moderator:
I felt like the 2 amazing spiderman movies weren't great but they were both definitely better than the old trilogy.

When I went back and watched those they definitely did not hold up to what my memory of them was. 2 in particular really surprised me in terms of how bad I thought it was now versus how I remember it being absolutely amazing back then.

As much as I love comics and super heroes I feel like this whole super hero movies thing is reaching a level of ridiculousness.

I do not like the choices that are floating around to play Spider-Man. Is it too hard to get a young guy from Queens to play the role?

I finally got in my Showcase Presents Enemy Ace vol. 1 direct from the publisher, and there was a mad big printing error on it. About 20 of the pages were not cut properly and some idiot decided to fold in the book. WTF. The Atom one was okay though.

That's extremely high praise. They'd definitely be in the bottom 50% for me. But I like the FF movies so what do I know?
You know nothing, tcrash247.

I do not like the choices that are floating around to play Spider-Man. Is it too hard to get a young guy from Queens to play the role?

I finally got in my Showcase Presents Enemy Ace vol. 1 direct from the publisher, and there was a mad big printing error on it. About 20 of the pages were not cut properly and some idiot decided to fold in the book. WTF. The Atom one was okay though.
Meh, Garfield is from the UK and Tobey is from...where ever they have Cider House's. I'm just looking forward to them wanting to keep the movies in high school as long as possible so I can't wait for thirty year old high school student Peter Parker!

Today's stuff:

• All-New Captain America: Fear Him #2
• Bucky Barnes: The Winter Soldier #5
• Darth Vader #1
• Harley Quinn Valentine's Day Special #1
• Guardians of the Galaxy #24

Those Icons action figures are awesome, but they're also an entirely different scale to DCC's other stuff - which I'm too heavily invested in to switch from now. I'm still getting that Green Arrow though. I don't care if he'll look like a dwarf on my shelf, the more classic GA designs will always be better than the New 52 version.

So, there's a Wham! (Deadpool) casting call going around that lists all of the major characters, albeit with spoiler-free placeholder names and vague descriptions. Nearly all of them are open to actors of any ethnicity... except for the one who is without a doubt going to be Blind Al, where they are ONLY looking for African American actresses.

Seriously? Okay. This is a character who, while considered a "friend" of Deadpool's, is essentially his elderly and blind live-in slave - who he often punishes by locking her in a box filled with pointy implements of death and/or ouchies. Even the one appearance she made in the leaked script hinted at this relationship, although with the addition of a well-intended roomba in their apartment who further ruins her life. So... are they really gonna go there? Why is THIS character getting limited to one set of actors? I don't understand how these decisions get made. They're willing to look for the best possible actor across all ethnicities for every other character except her? Keep in mind, it's probably still just a cameo, but whoever gets picked is required to sign on for 3 movies.

Wracking my brain, I can't immediately come up with any known actresses that age who could bounce off Ryan Reynolds comedy-wise in this movie or future sequels -- and that's without any kind of restrictions. Closest I get is Cloris Leachman, but she's older than what they're looking for anyway, and she only comes to mind because I recently watched Raising Hope. I'm genuinely curious who they'll go with, though I'm fairly confident it won't be a disappointing choice. Tim Miller seems intent on making this movie fairly faithful to the source, right down to the rumored villains and supporting cast. Although I suppose Fox could always  fuck  it up.     

So, here's the casting call in question. People are speculating that Albert could be Cable, making a cameo appearance. It's possible I guess. Just about everyone else fits descriptions of characters in the leaked script from ages ago. After-credits stinger?

[RIDGE] Any ethnicity, early 30s to early 50s. Big, muscular, dangerous, violent, vain, insecure and more than a bit of a dick…. but with a sense of humor. He is not a psychopath, he’s practical but morally neutral—he doesn’t enjoy torturing people, he just doesn’t care. ROLE REQUIRES THREE SEQUEL OPTIONS.

[LINDSAY] Any ethnicity, 20s, attractive and worldly. Smart, tough, beautiful but a little bit broken. Nothing has ever been easy for her and she’s developed a thick skin and cynical outlook. But she’s not a victim—she may not have a great life but she’s holding it together and does what she needs to get by. She’s got a great sense of humor but it leans heavily towards irony and sarcasm. ROLE REQUIRES THREE SEQUEL OPTIONS.

[SIMON] Any ethnicity, late 20s to early 40s. Quirky, great sense of humor. Smart, funny, but more than a little bit slippery. Fast talker, always looking to make a buck. He looks out for himself first and foremost, but reveals loyalty at the end of the day. ROLE REQUIRES THREE SEQUEL OPTIONS.

[SHIRLIE] African American, late 60s to early 80s. Worldly, great sense of comedic timing, sarcastic, dry, funny. ROLE REQUIRES THREE SERIES OPTIONS.

[KATHY] Any ethnicity, early to mid teens. World weary, great sense of comedic timing, sarcastic, droll sense of humor. ROLE REQUIRES THREE SERIES OPTIONS.

[KEREN] Any ethnicity, early 20s to late 30s. Serious, big, tough. ROLE REQUIRES THREE SERIES OPTIONS

[ALBERT] Any ethnicity, early 30s to early 50s. Big, muscular, dangerous. ROLE REQUIRES THREE SERIES OPTIONS

I read on Newsrama that a certain X-Men character-
Colossus
is likely to appear in the Deadpool film.
He was in the leaked script, and is used VERY well. It will easily be the character's best live-action material to date, assuming the final product resembles that particular draft. As big of a Deadpool fan as I am, a particular action scene involving *that* character is what I most look forward to seeing... and I'm typically not even a fan of him.

Forgot to add- HUGE thank you to dm85! Several of you guys have given me very helpful advice in this thread, and he's right at the top of that list. Thanks to him, I was able to score the Uncanny Avengers omnibus DM variant (along with Ms. Marvel Vol. 1) for half price from InStockTrades.com. Received the package this past Friday.

Forgot to add- HUGE thank you to dm85! Several of you guys have given me very helpful advice in this thread, and he's right at the top of that list. Thanks to him, I was able to score the Uncanny Avengers omnibus DM variant (along with Ms. Marvel Vol. 1) for half price from InStockTrades.com. Received the package this past Friday.
Glad we could be of help Matt. I would also like to share a nice little trick a member on another forum shared with us. I tried this myself just to confirm it works.

If the 2% discount isn't currently active on your account, you can activate it by purchasing a gift certificate from IST in any denomination they offer; I bought the cheapest one they offered worth $10. Just make sure you send it to the email associated with your IST account, because that email will be credited.

Here's the email I received:

602fLl1.jpg

You can confirm your balance by going to "Your Account". It will be listed under "account profile".

It may add up to pennies, but it's worth it.

I was watching another show during the Flash, but saw the awesome parts. WOAH!

Currently I'm reading Showcase Atom vol. 1. It's pretty a fun read and you can see the workmanship of Gardner Fox's writing, adding a plausibility to the science fiction adventures Palmer has. The covers aren't as crazy as Batman or Jimmy Olsen, and that's a plus, considering Gil Kane kept things from getting too crazy.

It's interesting that Ray Palmer is more Lois Lane than Superman, since each issue features him trying to get the hand of his girlfriend in marriage every episode. Jean Loring is a efficient self-reliant character, able to take on her own cases, while knowing when to get help if needed. She doesn't really have time for the sh- Palmer pulls and it does show.

I guess I should be a little irked at the Arrow version of Palmer, who is a blend of Christian Grey and Tony Stark, but hey, it's Brandon Routh.

This week's list:

• All-New Captain America #4
• All-New Captain America: Fear Him #3
• Deathlok #5
• Legendary Star-Lord #9
• Multiversity Mastermen #1

I'm interested, but would need to catch up. Almost all my ongoing series have been new ones that I started from issue #1, although crossovers are putting an end to that. For example, that's my first issue of Star-Lord because it's part 3 of the Black Vortex.

I buy Magneto, Punisher and Moon Knight and I'd have to say Magneto is my least favorite.  It's not bad, just not as good as the other 2 in my opinion.

Is there any particular reason DC decided to burn through Injustice: Year Three so quickly by releasing 3 issues in as many weeks? Holy crap. I was trying to figure out how the hell Year Four was starting in May, and then I checked my online subs and saw what was waiting to be shipped.

This week I got..

Multiversity: Mastermen

Lady Mechanika #4

Wonder Woman #39

Silver Surfer #12

She-Hulk #12

Injustice: Year Three #10

Deadly Class #11

Batman and Robin #39

Sadly my shop didn't have new Invincible this week AKA greatest comic book series in the history of ever.

Im sure you have all seen it by now, but in case, Zack Snyder tweeted a picture of Aquaman:

https://twitter.com/zacksnyder/status/568650209581858817

He just looks like he does in Game of Thrones to me. maybe it will look better with colors.
You're assuming Snyder will allow any color at all into this movie.

They're trying too hard to make Aquaman cool, but I think this design is exactly what everyone expected based on the casting, so it's not surprising in the least. Reminds me of hook-hand Aquaman, though.

Comixology has a great special going on through February 23. Enter code MARVEL at checkout to get buy 1, get one free on all Marvel digital comics. Normally I wait 6 months for Marvel comics to go to Marvel Unlimited, but there's some stuff I've been eager to check out and the half off price makes it doable.

Picked up:

• Ant-Man # 1 and 2
  • Silk # 1
  • Spider-man and the X-Men # 1 and 2
  • Spider-Verse # 1 and 2
  • Spider-Verse Team-Up #1-3
  • Star Wars # 1 and 2
  • The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl # 1 and 2
14 issues for $30 + tax.

fe5694b411bc36892c2602d3dd5dc53d.jpg

Good choices, Paul. I own all those books except for the Spider-Verse titles. Marvel books often contain digital codes for other issues, and the latest issue of Deathlok had one for Spider-Gwen #1.

I was going to text you about this but may as well ask here: Have you gotten to read the TMNT/Ghostbusters miniseries yet?

Good choices, Paul. I own all those books except for the Spider-Verse titles. Marvel books often contain digital codes for other issues, and the latest issue of Deathlok had one for Spider-Gwen #1.

I was going to text you about this but may as well ask here: Have you gotten to read the TMNT/Ghostbusters miniseries yet?
Ooh, Spider Gwen. I would've bought that but Comixology won't be offering the first issue until Feb 25, after the coupon expires.

I read the character profiles in the first issue of TMNT/Ghostbusters but haven't started the actual story yet. Need to hurry up and read the two issues I have, fo' sho'.

Lately I read the first volume of New 52 Harley Quin and then the first three volumes of Baltimore, a Dark Horse comic created by Mike Mignola. Probably gonna knock out the new Marvel issues before returning to other stuff in the backlog.

By Harley Quinn Volume 1, you mean Hot In The City which collects issues #0-8, right? I got that in hardcover form a couple months back; $12.49 on Amazon. Always loved Harley so that was a no-brainer. Volume 2 will be out in early April, just so you know.

Planet Hulk, Infinity Gauntlet, Old Man Logan.... Does Marvel have any original ideas they could make into stories? Jeez.

More I look at that Aquaman design the more it looks like a gritty 90's redesign I never asked for. My friend also brought up a good point in asking how the fuck do you do tattoo's underwater.

With what motorized needles?! How?!? I Can understand the octopus shitting on his eyes to give him the eyeliner look (I guess?), but I'm skeptic of your science of making octopus' tattoo a man's body with intricate designs that probably mean nothing in the film, fine sir!

My closest to a logical guess is sea wizard's. Obviously.

With what motorized needles?! How?!? I Can understand the octopus shitting on his eyes to give him the eyeliner look (I guess?), but I'm skeptic of your science of making octopus' tattoo a man's body with intricate designs that probably mean nothing in the film, fine sir!

My closest to a logical guess is sea wizard's. Obviously.
I thought aquaman was amphibious...maybe he had them done at a tattoo shop...Or maybe Atlantis has a dome. They look similar to Hawaiian tattoos...Maybe he hangs out with the Polynesians. Maybe Polynesians are descendents of Atlantis...I may have just cracked the code.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__HBBf_eDLM

Atlantis having a tattoo shop specifically just for Samoan and Tribal tattoo's makes me feel Atlantis is a kingdom of dudebro's. Plus Samoan Arthur Curry has to have alot of trust for some random guy to jab him with a girating needle for at least...15 hours if he were to go on land.

Sea wizard still seems the most logical...

So, I attended my first convention yesterday. Had a good time overall, though the only thing I bought was a print of the cover to Green Lantern/Green Arrow #85 from Neal Adams' table and got it signed. I was really surprised by the price, it was just $20 with a free signature, and it's about 10"x17" or somewhere close to it. Extremely reasonable, especially compared to the other artist in attendance. He had a 3 for $50 deal, but man, this hasn't been a good month so I sadly had to leave behind the Black Cat and Green Arrow/Black Canary prints I was also interested in.

Definitely a great intro to the con scene, although there was no variety at all as far as cosplayers went. Everyone was either Deadpool or Harley Quinn, with maybe two Jedi, one Zatanna, a Link and a Spider-Man. I felt like a tool for wearing my Deadpool hoodie, but ehh, that's how it goes.  

Neal Adams was on Comic Book Men last Sunday and seemed like a genuinely nice fellow who loves his work.
He's definitely a nice guy in person, he made it a point to chat for a little while with anyone who wanted his signature. Listening to his episodes of the Fatman on Batman podcast lead me to believe that he is pretty full of himself in some regards, though. But his work speaks for itself, I think. I was in awe at his versions of various characters in the prints that he was selling. His Black Cat might be my new favorite iteration of that character, and he has some fantastic prints of Penguin And Selina from Gotham as well. It took me a couple of hours just to decide what was going to be the one print I chose to buy.

bread's done
Back