Comic Book Discussion Thread (Marvel, DC, Image, Dark Horse, Top Cow, IDW, Indy, etc)

So, We Are Robin sound like it's exactly what I wanted it to be. Should be worth picking up.

Also, Mrs. Deadpool & the Howling Commandos could be fun. I like Shiklah. I bet she finds Wade in hell after his death, or some other shenanigans to at least bring him back from the dead momentarily.  

Last edited by a moderator:
Ugh... seems like I'm out $50+ since USPS lost my package from InStockTrades and says I'm not allowed to file a claim on it.

On a positive note, I got the Birthright Volume 1 TPB from Amazon.

Ugh... seems like I'm out $50+ since USPS lost my package from InStockTrades and says I'm not allowed to file a claim on it.
You're not out anything: insurance covers the sender; not the receiver. Call InStock and have them re-send your order or get a refund.

Birthright is a fun book.

Comixology has 500 digital Flash comics on sale for 99 cents each. Super good way to pick up individual stories (Flash racing Superman, etc.) or whole arcs like Flashpoint. The sale ends 3/16.

https://www.comixology.com/Flash-500-Sale/page/5678

b7b978068f8aabb45719f54a33cba527.jpg

I haven't tried calling yet, but they still haven't responded to my e-mail to customer service. I sent another one today.
Don't give up. There's no reason this matter shouldn't be resolved properly. They're a good site, but mistakes occur. I'm not sure how long they take to respond to an email, but they usually don't take more than a day or two to respond to one of my inquiries. If you have any trouble getting a response from them let me know and I'd be happy to help out if I can. Keep us updated.

Boss went to DC Comics' offices before the weekend as they were moving operations and he was surprised by the amount of stuff the librarians were willing to throw away. He managed to get a few micofiche binders of Golden Age comics, from Action Comics 1-20, Detective Comics, Batman etc.
That's kind of cool. I guess in moving they're purging.

I read the article. It makes me wonder if the writer would prefer that we just enact a communist government right now so that everything is an equal playing field and everyone gets to be part of one homogenized lump.

The raisins in both bowls look exactly the same. They're the same on the inside. The article discusses moving raisins from one bowl to the other. What it's truthfully suggesting is that some raisins should be changed into another type of food entirely.

These types of articles and posts are so narrow-minded. The writers (almost always not black, mind you) use nonsensical analogies and promote their personal views as right, no matter what- similar to religious fanatics.

The message from people spreading this holier-than-thou propaganda from their pseudo-moral high ground is no less ignorant than hate-based racism. Being rude and condescending to those who disagree with their opinions certainly doesn't help their misguided cause.

Suggesting that creators of intellectual property be forced to alter a character's entire history to pander to some self-righteous crusaders who steadfastly defend their opinion as the one and only "right way" seems a lot more racist to me than respecting the history of the source material.

I try to keep this stuff in vs. but...

I read the article. It makes me wonder if the writer would prefer that we just enact a communist government right now so that everything is an equal playing field and everyone gets to be part of one homogenized lump.

The raisins in both bowls look exactly the same. They're the same on the inside. The article discusses moving raisins from one bowl to the other. What it's truthfully suggesting is that some raisins should be changed into another type of food entirely.

These types of articles and posts are so narrow-minded. The writers (almost always not black, mind you) use nonsensical analogies and promote their personal views as right, no matter what- similar to religious fanatics.

The message from people spreading this holier-than-thou propaganda from their pseudo-moral high ground is no less ignorant than hate-based racism. Being rude and condescending to those who disagree with their opinions certainly doesn't help their misguided cause.

Suggesting that creators of intellectual property be forced to alter a character's entire history to pander to some self-righteous crusaders who steadfastly defend their opinion as the one and only "right way" seems a lot more racist to me than respecting the history of the source material.
You completely missed the point and no, people suggesting making traditionally white characters into people of color is NOT the same or MORE racist/ignorant than white supremacists.

How is it more narrow minded to state that having a black Peter Parker isn't a big deal when others insist on sticking to the rigidity of canon? Or having a black guy play Hem-whatever guarding a Rainbow Bridge is "being pc" or impossible because it's a Norse god and they're all white? Heck, why is there even an Asian martial arts guy in that merry band of revelers?

The point is that there are a HUGE number of white characters played by white actors and if a black actor plays a white character, it really isn't a huge deal in the grand scheme of things because there is always going to be an exponentially greater amount of white characters played by white actors. On the opposite end of that spectrum, there are a very limited amount of characters that are people of color and everytime a role gets whitewashed and turned into a white character and played by a white actor, it makes a HUGE difference.

Since I'm not white, does it lend more credibility or gravitas to my statements?

I think it is you who missed my point. First, I have never said that black characters should be "whitewashed". Changing a black character to white is a terrible idea, too.

I also never said that white characters shouldn't be changed to black. Nick Fury is black in my mind. Heimdall is black in my mind. Michael Clarke Duncan was a great Kingpin. Good changes, those. But changing the character entirely (Jimmy Olsen) is not something I agree with. The point I stated was that people should not be forced to alter their intellectual properties and change characters entirely for fear of being publicly shamed and unfairly chastised.

I'm just curious? Has there ever been a black comic book character turned white? I can't think of any of the top of my head. I'm not saying it doesn't happen, but was trying to think of any.

I think it is you who missed my point. First, I have never said that black characters should be "whitewashed". Changing a black character to white is a terrible idea, too.

I also never said that white characters shouldn't be changed to black. Nick Fury is black in my mind. Heimdall is black in my mind. Michael Clarke Duncan was a great Kingpin. Good changes, those. But changing the character entirely (Jimmy Olsen) is not something I agree with. The point I stated was that people should not be forced to alter their intellectual properties and change characters entirely for fear of being publicly shamed and unfairly chastised.
Oh, I totally got your points...didn't miss a thing.

Strict adherence to the canon is the exact definition of narrow minded. Calling the author, and people like them, narrow minded and ignorant is exactly what you did when they merely make the suggestion that, for example, "Hey, maybe Peter Parker could be a black kid" or in that particular blog entry, that there's a difference between whitewashing(that's the actual term used when a character that's originally a person of color is changed to a white one) and changing a white character into a person of color, as well as why the latter is bad.

No one is shoving a black Peter Parker down anyone's throats when there are what, 4-5 Spiderman books with a white Peter Parker at any given time with 3 different Spiderman movies with white Peter Parker's? You know who's changing the canon? Those writers whose intellectual property you're trying to defend; not some self-righteous social warrior behind a keyboard or NOW or the NAACP or me or PETA. The only reason why those writers are doing race/gender-bending is to be edgy and/or make money. Your anger is a bit misplaced.

I find it extremely odd that you are good with those changes you mentioned, regardless of whether is was before or after the fact(it's actually a pretty complex if you think about it), yet, you have an issue with a changes to Jimmy Olsen in Supergirl? I mean who cares about Jimmy Olsen? :rofl:

Either way, this is as far as I'm going to go on the subject.

I'm just curious? Has there ever been a black comic book character turned white? I can't think of any of the top of my head. I'm not saying it doesn't happen, but was trying to think of any.
Can't really think of any either. Technically Al Simmons? But that was kinda wrapped around a certain story element. It's more of a Hollywood thing than a comicbook thing.

I don't see why you personally not liking Jimmy Olsen means that you can just dismiss the example. I also don't see why you're claiming I've said things I didn't say, or why you believe I am angry. But if that's as far as you wish to go on the subject, I won't attempt to reengage you on the it. I simply responded to EastX's post of the article because the majority of his posts in this thread lately have been expressions of that viewpoint, and I disagreed. There have been no hard feelings toward anyone from my end.

I have spot for OG Nick Fury, WWII soldier and super spy. But I can definitely handle Samuel L. Jackson's Nick Fury Jr. I am not a fan of the Thor movie, and that had its problems, and Idris Elba as Heimdell wasn't one of them, though felt he was underused.

I guess the race/sex switching will really get to me when the character who was featured a lot suddenly gets a HUUUGE shift out of nowhere. I mean Jimmy Olsen an alpha male? Seriously? When Ultimate Janet Van Dyke was revealed those 14 years ago, I was a bit irked that Millar just made her an Asian tech genius, (though a bit better than original characterization as a WASP-Y damsel in distress.

Man, I have got to start collecting single issues of Usagi Yojimbo if I can, considering the Fantagraphics books are kinda pricey.

I don't see why you personally not liking Jimmy Olsen means that you can just dismiss the example. I also don't see why you're claiming I've said things I didn't say, or why you believe I am angry. But if that's as far as you wish to go on the subject, I won't attempt to reengage you on the it. I simply responded to EastX's post of the article because the majority of his posts in this thread lately have been expressions of that viewpoint, and I disagreed. There have been no hard feelings toward anyone from my end.
You did seem to miss the point of the article - its actual intention. The article was written to help people understand the cultural benefit of allowing traditionally white roles go to minorities and why whitewashing minority/ethnic roles has the opposite effect. It was not written to force people to start casting blacks or change laws or anything.

That mis-reading is exactly like when Anita Sarkeesian makes a video suggesting why sexualizing women in games can be harmful, and someone takes that as saying that she is trying to censor things. That's a leap that the author herself is not trying to make. People can discuss things intellectually, trying to help other people see a different perspective than their own/the default cultural perspective, without forcing anybody to do anything.

I think (not with you, but in general) that when people hear a perspective that is much different from theirs, that of a woman or a black person or whatever different group, sometimes they misinterpret it as an attack on white males or whatever and they overreact. A lot of dudes have had no reason to think about what it's like to be a black person or a girl or whatever and have so few good roles models and good examples of behavior and what people like them can achieve. The only way to understand those perspectives is to listen to them and think about them without getting angry.

About Jenny Olson, she was a non-character in Man of Steel. She had no reason to be in that movie, and the scenes with her and Perry running from danger mattered little to audiences because they had no character development nor personal interaction with Superman. Even if that person had been Jimmy instead of Jenny, those scenes would still have been useless due to the fact that the filmmakers gave us no reason to care one way or the other about that group of characters (other than assuming we care about them because better movies and stories have developed the characters in the past).

About Jenny Olson, she was a non-character in Man of Steel. She had no reason to be in that movie, and the scenes with her and Perry running from anger mattered little to audiences because they had no character development nor personal interaction with Superman. Even if that person had been Jimmy instead of Jenny, those scenes would still have been useless due to the fact that the filmmakers gave us no reason to care one way or the other about that group of characters (other than assuming we care about them because better movies and stories have developed the characters in the past).
Whoa, whoa...You make it sound like Man of Steel had any meaningful scenes.

DC should just make a Stewart Green Lantern movie. It would sell like hell. I don't mind roles being recast to allow other ethnicities. It is certainly more jarring with major characters. Overall when possible I would prefer to feature already existing or original characters though but make sure they are on an even footing. Ultimate Universe is folding in with the standard 616 rush a Miles movie out. Show Black Panther for the badass he is, etc.

Paul, you clearly didn't understand. I outright stated I wasn't angry, so you're already wrong there. And while my post was prompted by the article, I also stated that my post was a direct response to your multitude of posts on the subject; not just the article. I did choose to address specific parts of the article seeing as how I quoted it.

You've specifically chastised people, even saying they're "racist without realizing it". Regardless of your point of view on this subject, you're just wrong in the way you present those views because the claims you make about other people's conflicting attitudes on the subject are just untrue.

Dohdough saying he tries to keep this stuff in the versus forum makes a lot of sense. I replied because I was tired of reading the same slightly reworded message from the same person over and over *presented in such a condescending manner* and I responded.

Back to stuff that actually has to do with comics:

I got an email response (after 3 tries) from In Stock Trades. They said the package had been misrouted. It "happens all the time and will get there". Yet tracking info hasn't been updated in 2 weeks, and IST wouldn't clarify whether they actually got that info from USPS or just made it up.

They said I could email back if I hadn't received the package by the 16th (18 days after my order shipped and 3 weeks after ordering and giving them my money) and they could "see about maybe sending a replacement". This is the worst experience I've ever had with anything being shipped from a business. Even if it was USPS that screwed up, IST's customer service has been atrocious and I doubt I'll ever trust them again.

The article is poorly written. I hope it is just a college student's blog and not a "journalist" that is actually paid.

----

Assuming a person doesn't look at all perspectives before making in argument is condescending. Having an opposing viewpoint doesn't make a person racist.

I don't think anyone disagrees with the "cultural benefit" of diversity in film. Everyone understands that minorities (race, gender, sex, disabled) are underrepresented in films and comics (and other media)...Some of us don't agree with the way it is being handled.

^^^This is the best I can boil it down.

----

I think issues arise when Marvel is putting out moves of an "alternate universe" and doesn't label them as such. I didn't realize it until someone pointed it out here. That would explain a lot of the changes...(Though I think the ultimate electro is white, so it doesn't explain Jamie Fox). I think people would be a lot more understanding if they said "This is one version of the marvel universe" or gave some indication that this is not the version of the character that you "grew up with". It isn't just race or gender, it is the fact that any change becomes more significant if it isn't understood.

Hopefully we can all agree if Hugh Jackman shows up as vampire wolverine in Avengers 3 it would not be a good thing.

Really looking forward to vintage Jubilee in X-Men '92.

Forgot to post what I got last night:

• Ant-Man #3
• Guardians Team-Up #2
• Howard the Duck #1
• Spider-Man and the X-Men #4
• Star Wars #3

Really looking forward to vintage Jubilee in X-Men '92.

Forgot to post what I got last night:

• Ant-Man #3
• Guardians Team-Up #2
• Howard the Duck #1
• Spider-Man and the X-Men #4
• Star Wars #3
I picked up Ultimate Spider-Man. Can't believe it looks like the ultimate universe is finally ending.

Oh yeah, the New New 52, has presented new designs for Wonder Woman and Superman. Like WW's new costume but the blades are pretty stupid. And why does Superboy have blood on his fists? And I thought New 52 would fill me with much hope four years ago, and we get this. Apparently nobody in the comics industry learned their lesson: quit acting like it's the AWESOME 1990s. But if this means we will get a crazy Superman like in the Golden Age, why not?

r3hkxjgapusfl57v9nou.png

I got an email response (after 3 tries) from In Stock Trades. They said the package had been misrouted. It "happens all the time and will get there". Yet tracking info hasn't been updated in 2 weeks, and IST wouldn't clarify whether they actually got that info from USPS or just made it up.

They said I could email back if I hadn't received the package by the 16th (18 days after my order shipped and 3 weeks after ordering and giving them my money) and they could "see about maybe sending a replacement". This is the worst experience I've ever had with anything being shipped from a business. Even if it was USPS that screwed up, IST's customer service has been atrocious and I doubt I'll ever trust them again.
Matt, I'm sorry to hear you're having so much trouble with IST's CS. Considering I recommended them to you I feel bad about the situation your in. Hopefully time will resolve this issue. Unfortunately, IST is a pretty small business that runs on a small margin of profit and a small staff, but it's not an excuse.

Over on the CBR forums, there are many members who spend hundreds of dollars worth on new releases as they come out, but there is the occasional hiccup that happens and it can be a pain in the ass. Luckily for me, they've been solid *knock on wood* and have been good enough with CS that I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them to someone.

Try accessing your order from your account directly on the site and see if there's any difference. If not, ask them to provide proof of it being rerouted. Even if it was rerouted, I don't see why it wouldn't show up on tracking. Tell them to provide a tracking number that actually works. Their packages are automatically insured. At the very least that $50 you paid for it should be refunded if they can't provide replacements. Push them a little and hopefully they'll give a proper response to this situation.

I hope it works out and please update us if there's progress.

Kudos, DC, for using this new WW design to gain favor from vocal feminist groups who most likely don't buy your books to begin with. You've contributed to tons of groan-inducing articles today, at least. 

I like Green Arrow's new costume. The rest look awful.

Man, I was so onboard with Convergence. Been looking forward to it, but everything I see regarding the aftermath just seems... well, dumb. So other than Green Arrow and Injustice, I think I'm done with DC after this month until I hear how this new **** is turning out. These things cost too damn much to ride out the new creative decisions blindly. So keeping that in mind, my monthly books will be a grand total of... two.

Hmph. I'll keep my eye on newer titles like We Are Robin and see how reviews go, though.

That, in addition to the news that DC Collectibles is scrapping their entire line of 6.75"-7" action figures in favor of an all-new 6" scale so everyone will have to start a new collection, has left me feeling pretty sour.  

Thank you for your concern, dm85, but you're certainly not responsible for this in any way. IST's prices are great and my first order arrived quickly. The USPS is to blame for screwing up, but I just wanted an acknowledgement that IST was trying to resolve things.

You know, I actually didn't even look closely enough at Flash's to notice the changes. He has Wally West-style lenses, which I've always preferred, but the rest just looks overly busy.

Kudos, DC, for using this new WW design to gain favor from vocal feminist groups who most likely don't buy your books to begin with. You've contributed to tons of groan-inducing articles today, at least.
I don't think WW's design is too horibble. If they took off the giant shoulder pads, wrist blades and lowered her turtle neck then it wouldn't be that ugly.

The wrist blades feel very 90's. Like she needs lots of pouches strapped to her too.

Superman looks like a massive dude-bro. They should modify his shirt from the normal S and give it a Tapout/Affliction stylized makeover to it to just complete the look.

1992 Jubilation Lee - my first love. I keep trying to make my girlfriend dress up as Jubilee at a con. Wear the raincoat damn it!

But just in general - very excited by this. I loved the old cartoon and still hum the opening quite often. The whole Morph and Mr. Sinishter thing was awesome.

I wonder if they will continue from the last episode where Xaiver pretty much went to the Shiar empire because he was sick and dying of something.

Dark Horse Digital has a ton of Mike Mignola Comics (Hellboy, Abe Sapien, Lobster Johnson, Baltimore, etc.) on sale for 99 cents each. Also, if you're feeling really spicy you can get all 144 issues of B.P.R.D. (spin-off about the supernatural-investigation and control organization Hellboy is a part of) for $100. Yes, I was crazy enough to get that. Love me some Mignola-verse comics.

So I posted over in the free comics thread but forogt to post over here. Comixology is giving away from comics this weekend. This group of codes expire tonight at 11:59 (Central I think, but grab them before Eastern to be sure).

Redeem all of these at https://www.comixology.com/redeem (sign in to comixology, go to that page, put the code in and the comics associated are added to your account)

LOVECRAFT - Locke & Key Volume 1 (186 Pages | Locke & Key: Welcome to Lovecraft #1-6) (Joe Hill and Gabriel Rodriguez)
SAGA - Saga #1 (47 pages) (Brian K. Vaughan and Fiona Staples)
WICDIV - Wicked + Divine #1 (39 pages) (Kieron Gillen and Jamie McKelvie)
PILGRIM - Scott Pilgrim Volume 1 (172 pages | color edition, if that matters to anyone) (Bryan Lee O'Malley and Bryan Lee O'Malley and Nathan Fairbairn (Colors))

This one is different: click to get to the page, add to cart, add promo code, make sure price shows free (or $0.00 I don't remember which Comixology shows) and buy, then you'll get the comic free.

TREES - Trees #1 (24 pages) (Warren Ellis and Jason Howard) (I got a message from a buddy about this one, already have it so I'm not positive it works...)

This group of codes expire tomorrow at the same 11:59 some zone or the other.

FLASH - King: Flash Gordon #1: Digital Exclusive Edition (35 pages) (Ben Acker & Ben Blacker and Lee Ferguson) (this is one of those add the comics then put the code in the promo box ones too, the rest are go to reedem page codes)
CRIMINALS - Sex Criminals #1 (39 pages) (Matt Fraction and Chip Zdarsky) (this is an ADULT comic, not just in the sexual nature but it is emotionally raw as well...so be prepared. Also, it's very funny.)
PLANET - Bitch Planet #1 (30 pages) (Kelly Sue DeConnick and Valentine DeLandro) (I guess today is free comics you don't want your mom to know you read day at Comixology)
DAREDEVIL - The Man Without Fear #1 (27 pages) (Frank Miller and John Romita Jr.)
NOTLIKEUS - They're Not Like Us #1 (24 pages) (Eric Stephenson and Simon Gane)
ARCHIE - Archie: The Married Life Vol. 1 (314 pages | LIFE WITH ARCHIE: THE MARRIED LIFE 1-6 plus bonus material (that's a lot of pages for 6 issues, like 14 issues worth!)) (Paul Kupperberg & Michael Uslan and Norm Breyfogle)
JUGHEAD - Afterlife With Archie Vol. 1: Escape From Riverdale (210 pages | Afterlife With Archie #1-5 (100 pages and one issue less than married Archie...there's gotta be some joke in there...) (Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa and Francesco Francavilla & Jack Morelli)

Oh yeah, my last Wednesday pick up's (since I got them all today).

Batman Arkham Knight #1

East of West #18

Injustice Year Three #11

New Avengers #31

Silver Surfer #10

Southern Cross #1

Walking Dead #138

So I posted over in the free comics thread but forogt to post over here. Comixology is giving away from comics this weekend. This group of codes expire tonight at 11:59 (Central I think, but grab them before Eastern to be sure).

Redeem all of these at https://www.comixology.com/redeem (sign in to comixology, go to that page, put the code in and the comics associated are added to your account)

LOVECRAFT - Locke & Key Volume 1 (186 Pages | Locke & Key: Welcome to Lovecraft #1-6) (Joe Hill and Gabriel Rodriguez)
SAGA - Saga #1 (47 pages) (Brian K. Vaughan and Fiona Staples)
WICDIV - Wicked + Divine #1 (39 pages) (Kieron Gillen and Jamie McKelvie)
PILGRIM - Scott Pilgrim Volume 1 (172 pages | color edition, if that matters to anyone) (Bryan Lee O'Malley and Bryan Lee O'Malley and Nathan Fairbairn (Colors))

This one is different: click to get to the page, add to cart, add promo code, make sure price shows free (or $0.00 I don't remember which Comixology shows) and buy, then you'll get the comic free.

TREES - Trees #1 (24 pages) (Warren Ellis and Jason Howard) (I got a message from a buddy about this one, already have it so I'm not positive it works...)

This group of codes expire tomorrow at the same 11:59 some zone or the other.

FLASH - King: Flash Gordon #1: Digital Exclusive Edition (35 pages) (Ben Acker & Ben Blacker and Lee Ferguson) (this is one of those add the comics then put the code in the promo box ones too, the rest are go to reedem page codes)
CRIMINALS - Sex Criminals #1 (39 pages) (Matt Fraction and Chip Zdarsky) (this is an ADULT comic, not just in the sexual nature but it is emotionally raw as well...so be prepared. Also, it's very funny.)
PLANET - Bitch Planet #1 (30 pages) (Kelly Sue DeConnick and Valentine DeLandro) (I guess today is free comics you don't want your mom to know you read day at Comixology)
DAREDEVIL - The Man Without Fear #1 (27 pages) (Frank Miller and John Romita Jr.)
NOTLIKEUS - They're Not Like Us #1 (24 pages) (Eric Stephenson and Simon Gane)
ARCHIE - Archie: The Married Life Vol. 1 (314 pages | LIFE WITH ARCHIE: THE MARRIED LIFE 1-6 plus bonus material (that's a lot of pages for 6 issues, like 14 issues worth!)) (Paul Kupperberg & Michael Uslan and Norm Breyfogle)
JUGHEAD - Afterlife With Archie Vol. 1: Escape From Riverdale (210 pages | Afterlife With Archie #1-5 (100 pages and one issue less than married Archie...there's gotta be some joke in there...) (Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa and Francesco Francavilla & Jack Morelli)
Top group is dead as of 11 pm. Wish I'd seen this sooner. Bitch Planet links to the wrong issue. I did grab the second batch of issues though. Thanks!

Finally got my copy of Rough Justice by Alex Ross. I've always loved his artwork as far back as when Terminator: The Burning Earth was released (too bad there was never a follow up to it). Rough Justice is a great companion to Mythology and I'm amazed by his simple pencil work prior to being inked and painted. It really makes me wish I went to art school and worked on one of the plantations...well almost. :lol:

It makes me want to start drawing again for sure!

Hopefully my Art of Todd McFarlane shows up soon.

edit: Just showed up. Now I'm wishing I got the hardcover, but it looks great. It's amazing seeing the evolution of his style. This guy was clearly talented and I'm nothing close to how good he was at 16.

Anyone know if there was a CAG artist thread? Maybe I should start one?

izombie premiers tonight. Prepare to be disappointed.
The reviews have actually all been good though. As in it fills the void of shows like Veronica Mars quite nicely and doesn't directly follow the comic. Plus CW deserves benefit of the doubt with doing good on Arrow and Flash (also Jane the Virgin is a pretty damn good show).

Also Arkham Knight prequel comic wasn't bad. Touche DC. Touche...

I'm a little sad that they pulling the Batgirl cover variant inspired by the Killing Joke. I thought it was the best of the variant covers I saw that they were releasing - really helped show how horrible the joker is.

I never knew there was so much controversy about the Killing Joke. I thought it was pretty much just viewed universally as one of the best pieces of Batman lore out there. I didn't realize so many people hated it.

"why are we depicting Barbara Gordon in a single, 30-year-old instance of victimhood" was one quote about the cover. I feel like that moment is pretty much a defining moment for the character. When I think of Jason Todd I only have two images in my head. The first one is Batman carrying his corpse, and the 2nd is the wide-eyed look of fear he has as the Joker beats him to death with the crowbar. That is also pretty much his defining moment as a character (even though he should still be dead).

The reviews have actually all been good though. As in it fills the void of shows like Veronica Mars quite nicely and doesn't directly follow the comic. Plus CW deserves benefit of the doubt with doing good on Arrow and Flash (also Jane the Virgin is a pretty damn good show).

Also Arkham Knight prequel comic wasn't bad. Touche DC. Touche...
Did I just watch Gilmore Girls? It was ok, but it is a little girly. I did like the use of the Black Keys though. I wonder if Allred has anything to do with music selection...I got worried because all the previews used charli xcx. I always go into comic stuff expecting to be disappointed, so it is easier to take if it is terrible. I'll probably watch izombie, but I will probably get bored like I did with flash (although it looks like something finally happened on tonight's flash).

I'm a little sad that they pulling the Batgirl cover variant inspired by the Killing Joke. I thought it was the best of the variant covers I saw that they were releasing - really helped show how horrible the joker is.

I never knew there was so much controversy about the Killing Joke. I thought it was pretty much just viewed universally as one of the best pieces of Batman lore out there. I didn't realize so many people hated it.

"why are we depicting Barbara Gordon in a single, 30-year-old instance of victimhood" was one quote about the cover. I feel like that moment is pretty much a defining moment for the character. When I think of Jason Todd I only have two images in my head. The first one is Batman carrying his corpse, and the 2nd is the wide-eyed look of fear he has as the Joker beats him to death with the crowbar. That is also pretty much his defining moment as a character (even though he should still be dead).
Welcome to third wave feminism. Where everyone is criticized or censored for depicting anything that can be taken as negative towards women.

Not going to go into this much as I don't think it will get anywhere, but while it was a defining moment for the character, it's a moment that a lot of people don't like. Superhero comics are generally about wish fulfillment, and now that girls read comics too (the horror!), surprisingly, they don't especially wish for their heroes to be shot and paralyzed by the Joker. Weird, I know.

Also, Alan Moore actually said the editors shouldn't have let him put that bit in, which is a very rare moment of non-hubris for him. But supposedly it was going to be non-canonical originally. It's a very good book, true. But too close to the women in refrigerator trope for some people. Women! Trying to take our comics away!!

bread's done
Back