Comic Book Discussion Thread (Marvel, DC, Image, Dark Horse, Top Cow, IDW, Indy, etc)

I Like my women like I like my Batgirl's, behind a computer and paralyzed from the waist down!

Try and take that quote of context and turn it against me, Neocisco! I Dare you!

Last edited by a moderator:
I Like my women like I like my Batgirl's, behind a computer and paralyzed from the waist down!
Nah, then they become writers for Jezebel and we all suffer.

-----

Maybe they shouldn't portray the Joker as being a bad guy. He just suffers from mental illness. I am offended that comic writers portray a mentally ill character as a villain.

I guess modern feminist and hipster bloggers don't understand that the act was not only a plot device to show the brutality of the Joker, but a means to develop Barbara Gordon as a character. (And let's be honest. They never would have gotten away with beating Jason Todd to death in a monthly/non mature book either had the groundwork not been laid...Though an adolescent boy's demise seems perfectly acceptable to feminists and anyone else who likes to feign outrage.) It not only moved Joker from a menace to a true threat; It allowed Barbara to overcome a traumatic event and become a true hero. (I wrote a whole paragraph on the Joker, but it is a tangent, so I will concentrate on Barbara.)

I would argue Batgirl wasn't really a hero until she became Oracle. She was created to be a tag along sidekick, so they could put a female character on the TV show (relates to our old discussion-but this explains my view of fleshing out a character rather than haphazardly throwing in a minority). I would say it is actually anti-feminist and cowardly to gloss over the events of The Killing Joke. If you view her as a victim, then she will be a victim. If you commend her perseverance in the face of adversity, then you will view her as completing a "hero's journey" and truly becoming a hero.

Not going to go into this much as I don't think it will get anywhere, but while it was a defining moment for the character, it's a moment that a lot of people don't like. Superhero comics are generally about wish fulfillment, and now that girls read comics too (the horror!), surprisingly, they don't especially wish for their heroes to be shot and paralyzed by the Joker. Weird, I know.
Horrible things have to sometimes happen in comics to keep the story moving and people interested. I'm sure people who loved Robin didn't wish for their hero to be beat to death with a crowbar (although enough did vote for it).

Bad things keep the story moving. If Tyrese wasn't beheaded in front of the Prison, if Lori and the baby weren't gunned down, if Invincible wasn't beaten to a pulp and raped, if Agent 355 wasn't killed, if Pearl wasn't abused and left for dead, all of Contstantine's freinds dying in Hellblazer, if Kid Miracleman didn't brutally destroy London, etc.

I'm surprised Moore regreats that scene. The whole Kid Miracleman event is much darker. Kid Miracleman is continually beaten, abused and raped by other boys which pretty much leads to him destroying all of London (with some very graphic and extreme shots) and that event drives the rest of Miracleman. There seems to be no controversy over what happened to adolescent Johnny or the fact he is pretty much put down for the greater good to make sure something like that can't happen again (I believe they either snap his neck or crush his head during a tearful embrace)

Horrible things have to sometimes happen in comics to keep the story moving and people interested. I'm sure people who loved Robin didn't wish for their hero to be beat to death with a crowbar (although enough did vote for it).

Bad things keep the story moving. If Tyrese wasn't beheaded in front of the Prison, if Lori and the baby weren't gunned down, if Invincible wasn't beaten to a pulp and raped, if Agent 355 wasn't killed, if Pearl wasn't abused and left for dead, all of Contstantine's freinds dying in Hellblazer, if Kid Miracleman didn't brutally destroy London, etc.

I'm surprised Moore regreats that scene. The whole Kid Miracleman event is much darker. Kid Miracleman is continually beaten, abused and raped by other boys which pretty much leads to him destroying all of London (with some very graphic and extreme shots) and that event drives the rest of Miracleman. There seems to be no controversy over what happened to adolescent Johnny or the fact he is pretty much put down for the greater good to make sure something like that can't happen again (I believe they either snap his neck or crush his head during a tearful embrace)
The issue isn't that something bad happened to A character, the issue is that something bad happened to a well-loved female superhero. There are a lot less of those to go around than male superheroes. Also, she didn't get hurt in the line of duty but in a typical "female gets victimized by villain" kinda way.

In Moore's case, he probably didn't think about how women in refrigerators was becoming a harmful trope when he wrote the scene, or that female comics readers would ever be a significant enough group to consider in the writing process.

Here's a good explanation:

Many popular superheroes fit neatly into the Dead Men Defrosting trope such as Superman, Hal Jordan as Green Lantern, Barry Allen as the Flash, Spiderman, Captain America, The Hulk, Nick Fury etc. etc.

A classic example of this difference applies even when characters are depowered, when Barbara Gordon as Batgirl was shot in the spine by the Joker as a way to drive her father, Commissioner Gordon, insane. She was permanently paralyzed and had to create an entirely new identity for herself. But when Batman’s back was broken over supervillian Bane’s knee, he fully recovered.

Simone responded to this criticism by saying, “First, there’s [always been] a larger selection of male characters, so a handful killed made barely a ripple. Second, they didn’t seem to be killed in the same way—they tended to die heroically, to go down fighting. Whereas in many cases, the superLADIES were simply found on the kitchen table already carved up.” The writers of these comics treat similar narrative situations very differently based on a character’s gender, and it seems to be fairing much worse for the women.
http://www.feministfrequency.com/2011/04/tropes-vs-women-2-women-in-refrigerators/

The "women in refrigerators trope" didn't exist when killing joke was written. I never heard of it until 2 years ago. This is what happens when people have wikipedia, anyone can rewrite history to make it sound like things extended to a large audience, when in actuality it was no different then a group of friends talking in a basement in 1999.

I'm trying to recall when a female "superhero" was actually "depowered" before The Killing Joke. I can't really think of any examples except the "damsel in distress", though that tended to be non "hero" characters.

If there's ONE thing that I thought that might've been positive that came out of Gamergate, it would've been that videogame geeks and comicbook nerds would've learned what a feminist(and feminism) is and not some absurd caricature of some unshaven lesbian with a crew cut that only uses tampons and maxipads to toss at every man they see because they'd rather be free-bleeding.

Nah, then they become writers for Jezebel and we all suffer.

-----

Maybe they shouldn't portray the Joker as being a bad guy. He just suffers from mental illness. I am offended that comic writers portray a mentally ill character as a villain.

I guess modern feminist and hipster bloggers don't understand that the act was not only a plot device to show the brutality of the Joker, but a means to develop Barbara Gordon as a character. (And let's be honest. They never would have gotten away with beating Jason Todd to death in a monthly/non mature book either had the groundwork not been laid...Though an adolescent boy's demise seems perfectly acceptable to feminists and anyone else who likes to feign outrage.) It not only moved Joker from a menace to a true threat; It allowed Barbara to overcome a traumatic event and become a true hero. (I wrote a whole paragraph on the Joker, but it is a tangent, so I will concentrate on Barbara.)

I would argue Batgirl wasn't really a hero until she became Oracle. She was created to be a tag along sidekick, so they could put a female character on the TV show (relates to our old discussion-but this explains my view of fleshing out a character rather than haphazardly throwing in a minority). I would say it is actually anti-feminist and cowardly to gloss over the events of The Killing Joke. If you view her as a victim, then she will be a victim. If you commend her perseverance in the face of adversity, then you will view her as completing a "hero's journey" and truly becoming a hero.
Turning Barbara Gordon into the Oracle wasn't the plan when Moore got the green light to "cripple the bitch." That's one difference. When other more prominent male characters died or got their backs broken or vaporized, they all came back as strong and healthy as ever. That's another difference. The point is that bad shit like this hardly ever happens to (white) male characters and female characters are all too often damsels in distress or in a fridge.

It'd also be nice if you knew what third wave feminism was and I'm completely dumbfounded by the fact that you think "glossing over...The Killing Joke" is anti-feminist? As if critiquing the use of the same old objectifying sexist tropes works AGAINST those that the tropes are objectifying? Is someone that's outspoken about being anti-war actually a war monger because they speak out against war? Of course not...that'd be stupid.

There are plenty of sidekicks that are perpetual sidekicks and some even branch out on their own, but that doesn't make any of them less of a hero until they're paralyzed and their brain power is unlocked thanks to the pesky use of their legs being out of the way. Even beyond that, it took a bunch of different writers to evolve that character to that point. She can be a victim and a hero at the same time as they're not mutually exclusive. It's not like she told the Joker to shoot her in the guts and strip her to take noodz. Her characterization in the book wasn't exactly glamorous before the shooting either.

Being beaten and raped is usually reserved for females and males in prison. There's a difference when it happens to a notable character reduced to being objectified as a plot device. Walking Dead has it's own problems when it comes to race too.

The "women in refrigerators trope" didn't exist when killing joke was written. I never heard of it until 2 years ago. This is what happens when people have wikipedia, anyone can rewrite history to make it sound like things extended to a large audience, when in actuality it was no different then a group of friends talking in a basement in 1999.

I'm trying to recall when a female "superhero" was actually "depowered" before The Killing Joke. I can't really think of any examples except the "damsel in distress", though that tended to be non "hero" characters.
The phenomenon existed long before it was given that name. Just because you've never heard of it doesn't mean it didn't exist regardless of wikipedia's influence on perception. "Dead Men Defrosting" existed before someone called it that too.

If you read what eastx linked, you'd be able to find a decent list.

My point is there exists a hypocrisy in feminism. People use it to make themselves seem more evolved or to complain.

When women start buying men dinner, start fighting men in the boxing ring, and are in the front line in a War, then maybe feminism will stop being an excuse people hide behind and actually become something meaningful.

Most of the events you are talking about are post Killing Joke. So maybe people should target modern writers, rather than Alan Moore.

I should point out I am a "beta male" imo and I have always been a gentleman. I've been holding doors for males and females my whole life and I have to say it is always the feminists who make a big deal about it like I am somehow trying to take away a woman's power, rather than me just being nice and holding a door.

I didn't follow thew whole "gamer's gate" thing, but my understanding is that a guy was cheated on/victimized by his gf and he called her out for doing it and somehow he is the guilty party. It seemed like a case of victim blaming to me. Again that is what I gathered from the two articles I read, but I haven't researched it fully.

---

Let's use spiderman as an example since Gwen Stacy is used as an example.

Uncle ben died to progress Peter Parker's Story. Wouldn't that be considered Misandry?

The phenomenon existed long before it was given that name. Just because you've never heard of it doesn't mean it didn't exist regardless of wikipedia's influence on perception. "Dead Men Defrosting" existed before someone called it that too.

If you read what eastx linked, you'd be able to find a decent list.
That would require him having an open mind to perspectives other than the one he formed long ago, which I'm not especially optimistic for after our recent interactions. Good to see someone on the same page in this thread, Dohdough. :)

Being beaten and raped is usually reserved for females and males in prison. There's a difference when it happens to a notable character reduced to being objectified as a plot device. Walking Dead has it's own problems when it comes to race too.
Invinvincible is the main character super hero of his comic, Deadpool was the main character of his story and raped by Typhoid Mary, and Kid Miracleman was a 12 or 13 year old boy in an orphange/boys home.

As for the Walking Dead it seems like a pretty racially diverse group to me - in both the comic and show.

I dont' know - maybe I don't see the issues with woman characters as much sinnce I've only been into comics for the last say 5 years and my favorite books are mostly image and others so there are a good number of books led by woman character.

Some of that I'm into right now that I really enjoy are:

Rat Queens

American Vampire

Wicked and Divine

Coffin Hill

Wytches

Sex Criminals

Effigy (still to early to tell if it will be good)

Bitch Planet (same as above)

That would require him having an open mind to perspectives other than the one he formed long ago, which I'm not especially optimistic for after our recent interactions. Good to see someone on the same page in this thread, Dohdough. :)
I have an open mind to valid points. My views are constantly evolving with new information as everyone's should. I approach everything using the scientific method. My opinions are formed though research and experience.

I put women on pedestals, which I was told is misogynistic. I call a woman a bitch and it is also misogynistic. It seems like a damned if you do, damned if you don't scenario to me. If you can't admire a woman and you can't dislike a woman, then the only other option is to be indifferent.

If comics are wish fulfillment, why is it considered wrong for a male to be the "knight in shining armor"? Aren't you saying that a male's wish fulfillment is somehow less important than a female's wish fulfillment? Why can't the two ideas coexist? Female characters "save" male characters in comics.

I guess I just don't get it.

It'd also be nice if you knew what third wave feminism was and I'm completely dumbfounded by the fact that you think "glossing over...The Killing Joke" is anti-feminist? As if critiquing the use of the same old objectifying sexist tropes works AGAINST those that the tropes are objectifying? Is someone that's outspoken about being anti-war actually a war monger because they speak out against war? Of course not...that'd be stupid.
Aren't they "taking away her power" by suggesting she is a victim? That was the point I was trying to make. If someone is anti war and they have violent protests, aren't they hypocrites?

Aren't they "taking away her power" by suggesting she is a victim? That was the point I was trying to make. If someone is anti war and they have violent protests, aren't they hypocrites?
Sloppy triple posting aside, arguments like that are perfect for Fox News. You seem to be largely on the same page as them anyway.

Sloppy triple posting aside, arguments like that are perfect for Fox News. You seem to be largely on the same page as them anyway.
I've voted Democrat in every presidential election. I am socially liberal and fiscally conservative. I would gladly stay home and raise "the kids" if I had a wife that wanted to be the bread winner. I wouldn't view that as an attack on my masculinity. Ask yourself would a feminist feel the same way if the roles were reversed? You can't have it both ways. Most "feminists" are the equivalent of "fair weather fans". They are quiet when things benefit them, yet outraged when things do not. It is that hypocrisy that upsets me.

I just see things from all angles and I am sorry if you do not posses the ability to look at the big picture.

Invinvincible is the main character super hero of his comic, Deadpool was the main character of his story and raped by Typhoid Mary, and Kid Miracleman was a 12 or 13 year old boy in an orphange/boys home.

As for the Walking Dead it seems like a pretty racially diverse group to me - in both the comic and show.

I dont' know - maybe I don't see the issues with woman characters as much sinnce I've only been into comics for the last say 5 years and my favorite books are mostly image and others so there are a good number of books led by woman character.
What happened to those characters isn't cliche...or at least not yet anyways. Imagine if a vast majority of male characters were raped and maimed in comics to the point of being trite. Well that's basically how it is for female characters. Is it better now with more leading ladies? Of course it is, but it doesn't mean things are good. Just look at the controversy over Wonder Woman's pants...as in the lack of them after being previewed WITH them.

I don't know if I'd give credit to Walking Dead for having strong women, but it's certainly better than how they handle race. All you need to do is check out the Black Highlander memes. And if they kill Glenn in the show, I'm gonna nerd rage all over the place.

What happened to those characters isn't cliche...or at least not yet anyways. Imagine if a vast majority of male characters were raped and maimed in comics to the point of being trite. Well that's basically how it is for female characters. Is it better now with more leading ladies? Of course it is, but it doesn't mean things are good. Just look at the controversy over Wonder Woman's pants...as in the lack of them after being previewed WITH them.

I don't know if I'd give credit to Walking Dead for having strong women, but it's certainly better than how they handle race. All you need to do is check out the Black Highlander memes. And if they kill Glenn in the show, I'm gonna nerd rage all over the place.
What no one seems to grasp is we are dealing with a medium from a different time with a different demographic. Steps were taken to make comics more adult and socially conscious in the silver age (race,drug use,etc)...now they are going back in the direction of being for young adults. I looked over the list and it is unfortunate there are not dates. I think if people looked many of the references are modern, it may be an eye opener showing that this became a bigger go to story in modern comics.

I personally don't care if Wonder Woman has pants or not, but I find it interesting that women are upset about her old costume, when this is what "young girls" look up to:

Ariana-Grande.jpg

Beyonce-on-stage-in-Londo-001.jpg

Jennifer-Lopez-heated-up-stage-during-her-performance.jpg

In theory these are strong, successful women making a conscious decision not to wear pants on stage. I've read feminist articles saying that her wearing pants is anti-feminist and her not wearing pants is anti-feminist. This is where people get into murky waters for being too liberal, just like people that are too conservative.

Walking dead:

Are we supposed to believe there are more than 3 black people in Atlanta? :lol:

I don't know if they touched on this in the comics, but would it be possible that people of certain groups would stick together more than others? (Like in a prison scenario) I don't think it would be odd to run across a group of people that are all the same race or all women.

I have an open mind to valid points. My views are constantly evolving with new information as everyone's should. I approach everything using the scientific method. My opinions are formed though research and experience.

I put women on pedestals, which I was told is misogynistic. I call a woman a bitch and it is also misogynistic. It seems like a damned if you do, damned if you don't scenario to me. If you can't admire a woman and you can't dislike a woman, then the only other option is to be indifferent.
If comics are wish fulfillment, why is it considered wrong for a male to be the "knight in shining armor"? Aren't you saying that a male's wish fulfillment is somehow less important than a female's wish fulfillment? Why can't the two ideas coexist? Female characters "save" male characters in comics.

I guess I just don't get it.
LOLZ...ok, Mr. Spock.

Everyone has biases and it's important to know what they are and where they come from. Saying that everyone is equal, both sides do it, or it happens to everybody ignores the fact that scales are generally completely out of whack...it's false equivalency.

-Putting women on pedestals? You're objectifying them as an something to obtain/treasure as opposed to someone.

-Calling someone a bitch? It's a sexist insult to make. Bitches are female dogs and you can fill in the rest. Me? I can road rage and not above calling someone a "stupid bitch" whether they're male or female, but I've been working on going gender neutral with my insults by calling them "stupid asshole."

As you can see, small things can make all the difference.

First off, there's nothing wrong with being a victim. To imply that there's something wrong with it is to imply that the victim had some level of control over their victimization rather than blaming the perpetrator of the offending action.

No one is perfect and using "hypocrites" as an example to discredit something is really weak as it shouldn't take away anything from the message itself. It's a deflective tactic because it makes it about a person rather than the issue.

I've voted Democrat in every presidential election. I am socially liberal and fiscally conservative. I would gladly stay home and raise "the kids" if I had a wife that wanted to be the bread winner. I wouldn't view that as an attack on my masculinity. Ask yourself would a feminist feel the same way if the roles were reversed? You can't have it both ways. Most "feminists" are the equivalent of "fair weather fans". They are quiet when things benefit them, yet outraged when things do not. It is that hypocrisy that upsets me.

I just see things from all angles and I am sorry if you do not posses the ability to look at the big picture.
Using micro-level examples is the exact opposite of looking at the big picture. Maybe you should stop using feminism at a pejorative and figure out what feminism is really about rather than a caricature of it.

euanhss.jpg

And everyone else should be one too.

I honestly can't remember too many times that women characters have been raped. The only two that I remember is Batigrl and John Constantine's niece by his evil half. I'll have to check some comic wiki's later but those are the only two that stick in my mind that I have read.

I think Walking Dead has handled race well - diverse group and not just stereotypes. Tyrese, Sasha, Bob the Medic, Priest, Jonah, Michonne, etc. As for killing Glenn - well, I think it is just that every character is a target except for Rick/Carl, Daryl, and Michonne. Anyone else can be killed at any second (and probably will).

How do you understand what something is about if the people that embrace it do not understand? I see a number of inconsistencies in feminism and in my efforts to understand I am somehow demonized for pointing them out. Isn't the name itself sexist and against the whole point of the idea?

I don't understand why it is offensive to call someone my girlfriend and have her refer to me as her boyfriend. I think being called a partner is intentionally misleading people to think a person is gay or a business partner. I don't understand the need for ambiguity.

As far as the scales go, I would argue that white males currently have it far more difficult than any other group. But this is from my experience and you will never be able to understand my struggle as a white male in a PC world.

Back to the cover, I think it was meant to get a response. A visceral gut check. These covers are about the Joker and I think that was a decent one in showing how he ranks up there as one of the worse people in comic history. He is pretty a much a monster. He's not out for fame, fortune, power, etc. like all the other villains. He's not even out for the death of the universe like other big baddies. He is just there to terrify and ruin your life in the most horrible ways possible.

I think another good cover would've been a Death in the Family cover. Maybe have current Jason Todd tied to the chair bleeding with the same look of horror he had before he was beaten to death. And all you can see of the Joker is his back and the crowbar in his hands.

They could've done a Frank Miller DKR inspired one too. Have him standing outside of the tunnel of love. They wouldn't be able to show the poisoned kids he just killed, but I'm sure it would remind people of them.

One problem I do have with the cover is that it doesn't fit with the current Batgirl run. I really enjoyed Batgirl up until the new direction, and honestly I dropped it because I lost interest. It is going in a much lighter direction, and the extremely dark cover doesn't quite fit with the light hearted nature of the current run. It seems like current Batgirl is aiming for teens, girls, etc. and this cover should probably have been saved for Detective Comics or something similar.

What no one seems to grasp is we are dealing with a medium from a different time with a different demographic. Steps were taken to make comics more adult and socially conscious in the silver age (race,drug use,etc)...now they are going back in the direction of being for young adults. I looked over the list and it is unfortunate there are not dates. I think if people looked many of the references are modern, it may be an eye opener showing that this became a bigger go to story in modern comics.

I personally don't care if Wonder Woman has pants or not, but I find it interesting that women are upset about her old costume, when this is what "young girls" look up to:

Ariana-Grande.jpg

Beyonce-on-stage-in-Londo-001.jpg

Jennifer-Lopez-heated-up-stage-during-her-performance.jpg

In theory these are strong, successful women making a conscious decision not to wear pants on stage. I've read feminist articles saying that her wearing pants is anti-feminist and her not wearing pants is anti-feminist. This is where people get into murky waters for being too liberal, just like people that are too conservative.

Walking dead:

Are we supposed to believe there are more than 3 black people in Atlanta? :lol:

I don't know if they touched on this in the comics, but would it be possible that people of certain groups would stick together more than others? (Like in a prison scenario) I don't think it would be odd to run across a group of people that are all the same race or all women.
We're not that far removed from that time. There was a lot of pushback on ACA as well. If anything, I'd say that comics are more "adult" than ever. As for shifting demographics, comic buyers are more diverse than ever too. Those "adult" themes are just as relevant to modern teens as they were to teens in the 70's, 80's, 90's, etc because those issues exist whether we talk about them or not.

Believe me, I get that people buy comics for different reasons.

In regards to your pictures: do girls look up to them because they like them or do they look up to them because they're on mass media?

Our current social constructs of strength and beauty are based around masculine expressions and definitions of it. How this relates to conflicting ideas on Wonder Woman's disappearing pants is that there was a reason for it, whether or it was conscious or subconscious. Depending on context and reading, her pants can be feminist or anti-feminist.

How do you understand what something is about if the people that embrace it do not understand? I see a number of inconsistencies in feminism and in my efforts to understand I am somehow demonized for pointing them out. Isn't the name itself sexist and against the whole point of the idea?

I don't understand why it is offensive to call someone my girlfriend and have her refer to me as her boyfriend. I think being called a partner is intentionally misleading people to think a person is gay or a business partner. I don't understand the need for ambiguity.

As far as the scales go, I would argue that white males currently have it far more difficult than any other group. But this is from my experience and you will never be able to understand my struggle as a white male in a PC world.
The basic tenet of feminism is that women should have social, economic, and political equality to men. How people go about it and express it will vary from person to person and no one way is the right way. Yeah, it's a little complicated, but not impossible to understand. Now that I have a daughter, I try even harder. We live in a patriarchal society and being a woman of color is tough. It's my job to prepare her for it and be stronger than she needs to be to live in it.

We can't use labels like boyfriend and girlfriend without all of the societal baggage that comes with it. The same could be said for being "partners," although the argument could be made that it's a label that implies equality more than boyfriend/girlfriend.

This is dead on. I wish I had her ability to get my thoughts down on paper:

http://modernwomandigest.com/modern-day-feminists-making-misogynist/
Are you sure that blog isn't satire? I think you should click on a few other entries, dude.

Personally, I thought the cover was in bad taste considering Barbara's history with the Joker, and I'm pissed this even made it past the idea stage. However, this is DC in the 21st Century we're talking about, who like a good deal of the comic industry still think it's 1992 by making everything extreme. Don't think one had any high expectations for the company.

Are you sure that blog isn't satire? I think you should click on a few other entries, dude.
It is satire, but I agree with it. She may have written it ironically, but I believe it to be truthful based on my experience. I think it shows the inconstancy of the feminist movement. Satire doesn't exist without truth.

I Thought the "Women in Refrigerator's" term came from Green Lantern around issue 60 or so in the mid-90's run when Ron Marz was writing and Kyle Rayner had just taken the mantle and in one of the issue's Major Force discovered Kyle Rayner is Green Lantern  and went to his apartment, but didn't find him there, but instead his girlfriend where he basically strangled her and stuffed her in the fridge of the apartment for Kyle to discover?

Also this week in comics I got...

Batgirl (only for the awesome ass Purple Rain variant)

Chrononauts #1

Injustice Year Three #12

Manhattan Projects #1

Outcast #7

Princess Leia #2

Red One #1

I'm not taking part in either side of this argument but the "you sound like Fox News" attempt at a retort is just so incredibly lazy and hackneyed. The same goes for anyone who replaces it with MSNBC. Get some new material.

I'm not taking part in either side of this argument but the "you sound like Fox News" attempt at a retort is just so incredibly lazy and hackneyed. The same goes for anyone who replaces it with MSNBC. Get some new material.
I agree. Most of the conversation going on in this thread is just irritating.

For being such a niche medium comics sure do get a ton of controversy. Also does anybody know how long the Secret Wars tie ins, like Infinity Gauntlet or Old Man Logan, are gonna be?

That's the main reason I gave up on it. The same people saying, "Your argument is unenlightened and incorrect; learn to change your views" are ironically the same who hypocritically defend their opposing viewpoint as the one and only way.

That being said, the main reason I am quoting you is to say that my IST package finally arrived, 3 weeks after it shipped. No additional tracking information until the actual delivery. At least I got it.

Also picked up the Avengers/X-Men AXIS hardcover and the following issues this week:

• All-New Captain America #5
• All-New X-Men #39
• Bucky Barnes: The Winter Soldier #6
• Guardians Team-Up #3
• Princess Leia #2
• Unbeatable Squirrel Girl #3

Here's a good story on the issues that people have with the Batgirl cover. It's not too outraged or anything; it just lists why people think the cover is not a good idea:

http://io9.com/the-real-problems-with-this-controversial-batgirl-cove-1692184909

That's what it sounded like. DohDough already gave him a lengthy response, and he failed to absorb the information. I could write a thousand words on something but if I know it's not going into the recipient's head, it's not worth the time. Also, fuck Fox News.

I would say that a person claiming their opinion (key word) is the absolute truth and dismissing opposing viewpoints by condescendingly claiming the person responding "didn't absorb the information" bears a much greater similarity to biased news reporting with misguided agendas.

*checks thread title* Okay, so I didn't accidentally wander into VS.....feels like it. Weird.

Just received my hardcover set of the Calvin & Hobbes Complete Collection. Definitely worth it, though it makes me miss Calvin & Hobbes all that much more as I'm reading through it.

I hesitated on posting this but whatevs. I'll leave it since I put the effort into typing it up and CAG 3.0 never erased the autosave.

It is satire, but I agree with it. She may have written it ironically, but I believe it to be truthful based on my experience. I think it shows the inconstancy of the feminist movement. Satire doesn't exist without truth.
You know that The Colbert Report is making fun of conservatives and not some meta comedy news show making fun of liberals, right?

I don't know how else to explain it to you, but the goal of feminism is equality...it's as simple as that. How individuals want to go about it is up to them. There isn't a monolithic "Feminist Movement" anymore than there is a monolithic Civil Rights Movement. Hell, there isn't even a consensus on whether or not a hi-pressure hose is good for washing cars in the car detailing world and all they do is clean cars! That "inconsistency of the feminist movement" only exists as an excuse for you to rely on stereotypes as opposed actually learning about it.

You know what I find irritating? When people use terms without knowing what they mean. Willful ignorance looks good on nobody.

I mean how dare we be critical of the media we enjoy!

That's the main reason I gave up on it. The same people saying, "Your argument is unenlightened and incorrect; learn to change your views" are ironically the same who hypocritically defend their opposing viewpoint as the one and only way.
Someone promoting relying on stereotypes is completely different from someone promoting NOT relying on stereotypes. You're making a false equivalence. It's not equivalent nor is it hypocritical and not all opinions are equal.

Glad you finally got their comics though. Add Magneto when you get a chance.

Now back to our regularly scheduled programming...

I dropped Wolverines because it started to get too dumb for me.

I was going to drop it. I really was...

You know that The Colbert Report is making fun of conservatives and not some meta comedy news show making fun of liberals, right?
---
I don't know how else to explain it to you, but the goal of feminism is equality...it's as simple as that. How individuals want to go about it is up to them. There isn't a monolithic "Feminist Movement" anymore than there is a monolithic Civil Rights Movement. Hell, there isn't even a consensus on whether or not a hi-pressure hose is good for washing cars in the car detailing world and all they do is clean cars! That "inconsistency of the feminist movement" only exists as an excuse for you to rely on stereotypes as opposed actually learning about it.
I understand the Colbert report and there have been times I watched and saw something that was true/joke that actually applied to liberals. You know, the jokes that make you go, "yeah that is actually true about us".

---

I understand the goal is equality, but in no way does that cover somehow promote that men/women are not equals. Men have been victimized and women have been victimized. It wasn't made to depower women. It was made because they are doing joker variants and that was a key moment in the joker's origin and the artist thought it would make a good cover.

Whatever you want to call the people that are complaining (since your main argument seems to be about terminology, terms that have been a recent rewrite of history BTW, rather than the idea itself- which is a tactic people use to move away from the main issue) they are making an issue out of something that they want to see, or that they believe others do not see and should see, or that they believe people support.

They are literally and figuratively judging a book by its cover by assuming that this image is somehow an attempt knowingly or unknowingly to make an inequality in the sexes or to take something away from a character.

The majority of the US population understands men and women are equals. They also understand black men are not 3/5 of a man. When people complain about art they bring attention to an issue, that in most of the population's mind is no longer an issue. Everyone wants to play the victim when it really isn't necessary anymore. They aren't revolutionaries or martyrs, they are perpetual complainers. I am self aware and I understand that I do the same thing, but I would never suggest that they should not release, censor, or destroy art because of my viewpoint.

The only people that have a legit complaint (IMO) are the people that read the comic and say it doesn't go with the tone of the series. My understanding is it is aimed at young adults and I could see how it could be "too adult" for the readers. It is my understanding that joker hasn't appeared in the title. So those are legit complaints. Though comic covers have often featured images that are not present in that particular book.

It is also a variant cover though, so people could just not buy it since money speaks louder than any voice. Now no one has that option. Here is a term: Pyrrhic victory. The battle is won, but what did we lose? I would argue credibility of people who believe there is gender inequality (boy who cried wolf), artistic expression, and the freedom of choice.

Someone get me a picture of an eagle to insert here, because I'll admit it feels like that is a fox news sentence. ;)

I was originally going to decline to add anything to this discussion but what the hell I feel like throwing in my $.02.  The biggest thing about sexism and racism these days is that it's much more subtle.  Back in the day it was much more blatant but today it's subtle and latent.  It's quietly behind the scenes whereas it was at the forefront back in the day.  No one's gonna outright tell you they're a sexist but they might hold in their back of their mind that they do feel superior to women, or they'd be upset that they lost a job to a woman, etc.

Now, on the other hand, some of the argument gets co-opted by people out to make money and a name for themselves.  Most recently, Anita Sarkeesian and her antics.  These are the type of people who make it hard for people to get behind the movement.  You have someone who has a recorded history of self-promotion and studying under people who utilize activism as a profitable marketing venture who has no connection to the issue at hand inserting herself into a situation.  Then there's instances of threats made but never verified.  She claims she's called the police about threats who have no record of calls or police reports written.  She is, essentially, a much more invasive version of Jesse Jackson.  A person who is shamelessly out for their own self-promotion who attach themselves to issues and conflicts.  

Now, there really hasn't been one of these voices in this issue but if it happens then it's a lost issue.  The average person can easily dismiss an entire movement when someone hitches their wagon to an issue they otherwise wouldn't be involved with simply so they con promote themselves.

Now, this specific issue, I'm not sure.  As much of a Batman fan I am, I still haven't had a chance to read it.  As I understand it, there was a slight implication of rape but no confirmation.  That's far different than something such as Identity Crisis in which they make it very clear that Sue Dibny was raped.  But really, is the controversy because of the implied rape in Killing Joke, or because she was a super hero who was raped?  The one thing I hope the fallout from this is that it causes caution on any violence toward female super heroes.  It would make for very bland, Superman-style stories where the hero is effectively invincible.

Since we do seem to have had 2 separate discussions going on for quitebsome time, what would everyone think about having a separate thread in Versus for our discussion of the more serious issues?

If a mod would be willing to transfer the relevant posts into a new thread, perhaps those who choose to could continue discussing issues regarding the portrayals of women/minorities/etc. while allowing others to read this thread without having to navigate through that.

That being said, the main reason I am quoting you is to say that my IST package finally arrived, 3 weeks after it shipped. No additional tracking information until the actual delivery. At least I got it.

Also picked up the Avengers/X-Men AXIS hardcover....
I'm glad it showed up Matt. I have yet to order anything this year. I highly doubt I'll have much of a budget in 2015 for comics. The good news is that I have a pretty big backlog to get through.

Just received my hardcover set of the Calvin & Hobbes Complete Collection. Definitely worth it, though it makes me miss Calvin & Hobbes all that much more as I'm reading through it.
My brother picked up the hardcover set for himself during Christmas at Costco on the cheap. Anyone else find good deals on comics at Costco?

You know what I find irritating? When people use terms without knowing what they mean. Willful ignorance looks good on nobody.

I mean how dare we be critical of the media we enjoy!
I have no problem when people are critical of a medium. What I find annoying is what the "discussion" usually turns into.

Since we do seem to have had 2 separate discussions going on for quitebsome time, what would everyone think about having a separate thread in Versus for our discussion of the more serious issues?

If a mod would be willing to transfer the relevant posts into a new thread, perhaps those who choose to could continue discussing issues regarding the portrayals of women/minorities/etc. while allowing others to read this thread without having to navigate through that.
I'm surprised a mod hasn't already stepped in. Your suggestion is probably for the best, though, I wonder how many members will actually bother continuing the discussion elsewhere.

I couldn't agree more.

Here's a good story on the issues that people have with the Batgirl cover. It's not too outraged or anything; it just lists why people think the cover is not a good idea:

http://io9.com/the-real-problems-with-this-controversial-batgirl-cove-1692184909

That's what it sounded like. DohDough already gave him a lengthy response, and he failed to absorb the information. I could write a thousand words on something but if I know it's not going into the recipient's head, it's not worth the time. Also, fuck Fox News.
A weak rationalization. For someone who appears to hold Fox News in such contempt, you seem awfully sure about the width and breadth of their content which would require large amounts of viewing of a product you have no regard for. Seems more than a bit far-fetched. This can probably just be chalked up to going with a trite sound bite instead of a thought out reply.

I have no problem when people are critical of a medium. What I find annoying is what the "discussion" usually turns into.

I'm surprised a mod hasn't already stepped in. Your suggestion is probably for the best, though, I wonder how many members will actually bother continuing the discussion elsewhere.
I'm not sure what you mean by "what the 'discussion' usually turns into."

Either way, I'm sure that a bunch of posts have already been reported to mods(I have no doubt that mine were) and nothing's been pulled, moved, nor has a mod chimed in to say "knock it off and take it to Vs." The subject is totally relevant since it revolves around this particular piece of cover art and mythos of a particular character. Anyone that's not interested can just scroll through any posts that doesn't interest them and not participate like in any other thread. I still have tons to say on the subject and if one of you want to start a thread in Vs., I'll be more than happy to participate, but I think it's more important to have it here so it's out in the open and not in the cesspool of CAG.

Uncomfortable conversations that challenge the status quo are sometimes the most important ones to have.

I agree with dohdough. It is technically a "comic book discussion thread" and we were discussing a comic book.

I think I pretty much said all I can on the subject of the batgirl cover.

I'm not sure what you mean by "what the 'discussion' usually turns into."

Either way, I'm sure that a bunch of posts have already been reported to mods(I have no doubt that mine were) and nothing's been pulled, moved, nor has a mod chimed in to say "knock it off and take it to Vs." The subject is totally relevant since it revolves around this particular piece of cover art and mythos of a particular character. Anyone that's not interested can just scroll through any posts that doesn't interest them and not participate like in any other thread. I still have tons to say on the subject and if one of you want to start a thread in Vs., I'll be more than happy to participate, but I think it's more important to have it here so it's out in the open and not in the cesspool of CAG.

Uncomfortable conversations that challenge the status quo are sometimes the most important ones to have.
Read the lasts few posts by Matt Young in regard to the discussion. That's how I feel about it. Being a CBR member, you see these types of discussions pop up almost daily. They usually last a day or two before getting locked.

I have not seen Meteor Man, but what do you guys think of the 2012 Dredd movie? Got the 3D Blu-ray from Best Buy last night pretty much free after $10 reward certificate.
As someone who has never read a Dredd comic in his life I found it enjoyable as a straight up action movie. Trapped in an apartment complex and having to fight your way up with nothing, but your side arm. The main thing that might be a turn off is the excessive body count.

I think it has been a pretty civilized discussion for the most part - so I don't think it was vs worthy.

Back to actual comics - I'm still really like the current IDW TMNT comics. Will they actually kill off a main character is a pretty interesting twist in the whole turtle world.

Anyone watched the Powers show. It is decent enough, but very different from the comic.

I read the first appearance of the Flash the other day. Pretty similar to what we know form the show and later retellings, although less elaborate. Funny thing is his enemy was Turtle Man, "the slowest man on Earth." Which is the exact opposite of a threat to him.

A weak rationalization. For someone who appears to hold Fox News in such contempt, you seem awfully sure about the width and breadth of their content which would require large amounts of viewing of a product you have no regard for. Seems more than a bit far-fetched. This can probably just be chalked up to going with a trite sound bite instead of a thought out reply.
Wow, the ignore feature is REALLY buried nowadays. Ah well, I found it eventually.

I'm not sure how I feel about the TMNT thing. I haven't read any of the current series; only the crossover miniseries with the Ghostbusters. On one hand, it shakes things up a whole lot. On the other hand, I'm not sure where it could lead. Expecting something to happen around issue #50 that leads to some sort of reversal (not retcon).

Ignoring another user is the epitome of being close minded. ;)

---

I picked up a copy for Secret War 2 yesterday for $1. It is pretty beat, but it is my understanding it is a hot book since it is the 1st quake/skye.

My Dad doesn't understand the concept of a spoiler, so he already ruined the TMNT thing.

I've decided to start reading walking dead again, so I am picking up the last 5 or 6 trades from the library.

bread's done
Back