Comic Book Discussion Thread (Marvel, DC, Image, Dark Horse, Top Cow, IDW, Indy, etc)

I'm not sure how I feel about the TMNT thing. I haven't read any of the current series; only the crossover miniseries with the Ghostbusters. On one hand, it shakes things up a whole lot. On the other hand, I'm not sure where it could lead. Expecting something to happen around issue #50 that leads to some sort of reversal (not retcon).
I was planning to pick up the first IDW hardcover volume when it came out. I haven't read the series prior so it'll be my first foray into it. Your post has me a little worried. I'm tempted to google what you're referencing.

I'm not sure how I feel about the TMNT thing. I haven't read any of the current series; only the crossover miniseries with the Ghostbusters. On one hand, it shakes things up a whole lot. On the other hand, I'm not sure where it could lead. Expecting something to happen around issue #50 that leads to some sort of reversal (not retcon).
Eastman has said he wanted to make the series dark like it was back in the 80's. It certainly was dark and brutal.

What's this about Secret Wars II? Is Jim Shooter back? And where are the Valiant movies?

Donatello's going to return as a robot or something. I mean, how many times in the comics did Shredder die and come back?

Last edited by a moderator:
Nah, then they become writers for Jezebel and we all suffer.

-----

Maybe they shouldn't portray the Joker as being a bad guy. He just suffers from mental illness. I am offended that comic writers portray a mentally ill character as a villain.

I guess modern feminist and hipster bloggers don't understand that the act was not only a plot device to show the brutality of the Joker, but a means to develop Barbara Gordon as a character. It not only moved Joker from a menace to a true threat; It allowed Barbara to overcome a traumatic event and become a true hero. (I wrote a whole paragraph on the Joker, but it is a tangent, so I will concentrate on Barbara.)

I would argue Batgirl wasn't really a hero until she became Oracle. She was created to be a tag along sidekick, so they could put a female character on the TV show (relates to our old discussion-but this explains my view of fleshing out a character rather than haphazardly throwing in a minority). I would say it is actually anti-feminist and cowardly to gloss over the events of The Killing Joke. If you view her as a victim, then she will be a victim. If you commend her perseverance in the face of adversity, then you will view her as completing a "hero's journey" and truly becoming a hero.
Well here's the thing originally Alan Moore just wanted to shoot Barbara. Editorial told him to "Cripple the bitch." They weren't thinking future stories either. It took a different writer and a year. It certainly wasn't planned ahead of time that this was a result. Not to mention the implied sexual abuse in the Killing Joke. Seriously go back and read it again. It makes you more uncomfortable than your typical Joker story and I am including the killing of Jason Todd. There are valid reasons for the complaints. Now go Google the other alternative Joker covers and see how many implied sexual abuse or indeed a look of complete hopeless, fear, and resignation. Not to mention a gun pointed directly at certain parts of the anatomy of a hero that it is implied has already suffered sexual abuse from this villain.

Here's a link explaining why the artist, and it was the artist that convinced DC, asks for the cover be withdrawn. It has more to do with it not fitting the book it was to be an alternative cover of (and reportedly protesters receiving death threats) than the protests themselves. The fact that the artist had originally drawn something somewhat tamer and was then asked to make it more extreme (resulting in this cover) just shows a lack of connection between DC editorial and their target audience (young girls and women) for the Batgirl book.

The times they are a changing and that means considering the perspectives of others. Yeah in any group there are some rather vocal members that take it to the extreme with omg everything is a conspiracy you're violating my rights but others just genuinely want progressive change and the world needs it. Yes, it is a tricky tight rope for us white males to walk. We are put in a strange and sometimes difficult position. That's just the difficult birthing pains of progress. Every gender and ethnicity are all facing challenges, including us. Better to face them together than bitch separately.

What's this about Secret Wars II? Is Jim Shooter back? And where are the Valiant movies?

Donatello's going to return as a robot or something. I mean, how many times in the comics did Shredder die and come back?
Hate to be a stickler, spoil that since some CAG's here apparently don't know or want to be surprised.

I'll say a few things...In general I understand what you are saying. I'm not sure I believe the artists "story" to pull the book (maybe I'm too cynical).

I can't find the other joker covers, but I assume they detail the character's history somewhat. If there is no reference to the killing joke, then DC is leaving out the most important story in the character's history. It shows that he will do whatever is necessary to accomplish his goal. A villain with no limits. 

I think this cover with a redo of the harley quinn cover would be good mirrors of each other. It shows the extremes of his personality. (just put them on appropriate titles)

Maybe there is something wrong with me (ok there is something wrong with me) but when things like this happen it makes me want the art to go even further in the other direction. "If people are going to complain, let's give them something to complain about."

Anybody reading the new TMNT?

any chance Donatello is actually dead?

Also, in the editor's section of the book it says next issue starts the final story arc leading up to the double sized issue #50. The book is then ending?

Anybody reading the new TMNT?

any chance Donatello is actually dead?

Also, in the editor's section of the book it says next issue starts the final story arc leading up to the double sized issue #50. The book is then ending?
I Wouldn't be surprised as Turtles have gone through lost limbs and such before, but then again this is also Ninja Turtles who like to dabble in sci-fi meaning alternate universes or whatever. So I wouldn't be surprised if they just find a Donnie in another universe or something, but who knows. Still some time so anything can happen.

Also I love reading letter's section of whenever a major character dies the following issue. It's always..."interesting".

I can't find the other joker covers, but I assume they detail the character's history somewhat. If there is no reference to the killing joke, then DC is leaving out the most important story in the character's history. It shows that he will do whatever is necessary to accomplish his goal. A villain with no limits. "
It's not solely the reference to the killing joke. It's the victimization. Take a look at the cover that caused the uproar and then one where the eyes are altered.

D3782B7C-4D8D-4788-A323-D02719EBB9A4.png

See how the first Batgirl is a victim and the second is not. Joker in complete control with Barbara too traumatized to fight back versus hero about to unleash rightful vengeance. Again keep in mind that in The Killing Joke Barbara was paralyzed, stripped naked, photographed, and sexual abuse was implied. I can understand why some people might get a little upset about the cover. A villain with no limits is well and good but it can be referenced in another manner as shown and I am sure there are a million other ways as well.

Here's the solicitations for that month with full alternate covers. May have to zoom and or click on images to get a good view. I'll grant the Green Arrow one is a bit disturbing but none of them come close in tone to the Batgirl cover. And for the most part they don't reference Joker history much unless you count Joker grins or a call out to the famous Harley Quinn/Joker image by I believe Alex Ross and that has Wonder Woman in Harley's place. Not exactly the same thing as repeated victimization.

Edit: And again it's an alternative cover it has nothing to do with the content of the book. It doesn't fit the current direction of the book which is definitely no longer a typical dark bat oriented title and certainly doesn't fit the target audience, many of whom have never read The Killing Joke and to whom this is just an inappropriate image period. There's a difference between battling villains or being stuck in a death trap and this. Even if you don't know the background this is problematic, perhaps even more so to a 13-24 year old female who are the ones DC is supposedly selling this comic to. The additional reference just makes it more or less defensible depending on who you ask.

Is anybody here buying up issues of Superman 281, starring Sean Connery er Vartox?

peej4_10f_covers.jpeg

Well somebody is according to a store owner I know.
Fuuuuck I miss that run of Power Girl before Winick came and made it terrible as only he can. That and Harley Quinn ain't anywhere close to cutting it.

There is no doubt that this cover is referring to the Killing Joke. She was taken by surprise. She was a victim in that story. To me this is no different than Han shot first. Changing history to appease to a vocal minority.

Let's look at the problems and the double standard of this cover:

greenarrow41.6.3.15.jpg

If this cover variant was a female character, there would be a lot more uproar. Bound, semi nude with arrows stuck to the body. The most offensive thing is it appears that a HERO (Green Arrow-a person who should have a moral compass) did this to him. Does this not qualify as sexual assault? To strip someone nude, bind them, and wrap them with what appear to be torn boxer shorts or a scarf?

There is no doubt that this cover is referring to the Killing Joke. She was taken by surprise. She was a victim in that story. To me this is no different than Han shot first. Changing history to appease to a vocal minority.

If this cover variant was a female character, there would be a lot more uproar. Bound, semi nude with arrows stuck to the body. The most offensive thing is it appears that a HERO (Green Arrow-a person who should have a moral compass) did this to him. Does this not qualify as sexual assault? To strip someone nude, bind them, and wrap them with what appear to be torn boxer shorts or a scarf?
Sucker arrows. Yeah I said that one had issues in my mind as well, but it's still a wee bit different than a gun pointed at your crotch with the look of victimization. One looks more like fraternity hazing (Yes, wrong in my mind) one looks like the prelude to something much, much worse.

Again none of the other covers really reference any Joker history moments so why the need for this one? Why the request that led to something darker like this in comparison to nearly all the others. Even the Green Arrow one isn't as dark. Also I don't know if I made my edits before you responded. I am on mobile so it takes forever to type and refreshes don't always occur right for me but see my notes about audience for this particular title.

And if you want to talk changing history, she wasn't Batgirl at the time of The Killing Joke so just having her in costume is changing history.

Edit : Looked at the time stamps of my edits and others posts. I just love it when refreshing doesn't show me new posts. Made lots of edits in that first post at the end

I find that cover also pretty questionable. I thought DC was also trying to get kids to read their comics due to the success of their movies and tv shows. My opinion that they still think it's the 1990s still stands.

As noted in my other post since it's obviously a call out due to Babs being in costume and not meant to literally be part of that story there are other ways to do it without the look of someone that's about to experience it again at the hands of their abuser. There's absolutely no reason she can't look like someone who is going to stand up for herself.

Sucker arrows. Yeah I said that one had issues in my mind as well, but it's still a wee bit different than a gun pointed at your crotch with the look of victimization. One looks more like fraternity hazing (Yes, wrong in my mind) one looks like the prelude to something much, much worse.

Again none of the other covers really reference any Joker history moments so why the need for this one? Also I don't know if I made my edits before you responded. I am on mobile so it takes forever to type and refreshes don't always occur right for me but see my notes about audience for this particular title.

And if you want to talk changing history, she wasn't Batgirl at the time of The Killing Joke so just having her in costume is changing history.
The gun isn't pointed at her crotch. He has his arm around her shoulder. It is pointed at the ground from the weight of the firearm. He didn't shoot her in the crotch, he shot her in the stomach.

I just think if DC is going to bend to the will of an online mob, they should at least pull both covers. What they are doing is setting a double standard by only pulling the one cover.

The gun isn't pointed at her crotch. He has his arm around her shoulder. It is pointed at the ground from the weight of the firearm. He didn't shoot her in the crotch, he shot her in the stomach.

I just think if DC is going to bend to the will of an online mob, they should at least pull both covers. What they are doing is setting a double standard by only pulling the one cover.
I know she was shot in the stomach but I can see where the aim and angle of the gun can be seen as open to interpretation. Particularly when you think of what is a major fear for young women and the content of The Killing Joke besides the crippling itself. It's the triggery (not in the gun sense) implications of the image and the traumatic look on her face. It's the repeated casting as a victim. Again see my notes on the target audience of this book. It's alright for a vocal minority to loudly proclaim they do not want something especially when they are supposedly the one the book is meant to be sold to. I still think you can reference The Killing Joke in a way that has Babs fighting her victimizer and not being a passive victim again. Like I said she's in costume so obviously there's no reason she can't be heroic and a role model.

I agree that the other cover probably isn't the best but as I noted it can be played for laughs in the vein of a million teen movies. Plus you don't hear a thousand voices in protest over it, which is a good sign that people aren't near as upset about it. That said if you want to raise a protest I will stand with you, it just doesn't hit quite as hard to me. Still various levels of wrong mind you.

Edit:And I really wish when I refreshed it would show me all new posts. I see none from you slowdive21 think I have time to edit, do and bam a post from 10 mins before I edited. Sorry about that.

I already acknowledged the audience before you started to post about this. We are in agreement about that part. Wrong cover for the comic itself and its readers.

I think the reason there isn't outrage about the joker cover is because:

1) People are more accepting of harm to a man, than a woman and is actually "funny" in many people's minds (The amount of guys getting hit in the balls on youtube is proof of that).

2) People simply haven't seen the cover (the google search only brings up the BG one when you type "variant joker")

3) The majority do not see a problem with the BG cover

4) The Joker is a villain, so harming him is acceptable.

I think you don't pull either or you pull both. I understand why they did it. They have shareholders to think about and the amount of Batgirl readers who say they will stop reading are much more likely to stop reading than "fanboys" who say they will stop reading and eventually cave and still collect what they collect.

I already acknowledged the audience before you started to post about this. We are in agreement about that part. Wrong cover for the comic itself and its readers.

I think the reason there isn't outrage about the joker cover is because:
1) People are more accepting of harm to a man, than a woman and is actually "funny" in many people's minds (The amount of guys getting hit in the balls on youtube is proof of that).
2) People simply haven't seen the cover (the google search only brings up the BG one when you type "variant joker")
3) The majority do not see a problem with the BG cover
4) The Joker is a villain, so harming him is acceptable.

I think you don't pull either or you pull both. I understand why they did it. They have shareholders to think about and the amount of Batgirl readers who say they will stop reading are much more likely to stop reading than "fanboys" who say they will stop reading and eventually cave and still collect what they collect.
Agreed to all your points except possibly the majority having no problem with the BG cover. That I genuinely don't know. Keep in mind that supposedly the Batgirl cover was pulled solely at the artist's request. If this is true, mind you I couldn't say, and DC was not going to pull the cover otherwise then they truly would have no reason to pull the Green Arrow cover in their minds. Which just shows that they missed the point entirely on both counts.

I must have missed your discussion of the wrong cover, wrong book. Sorry about that. I swear I did read the discussion. Now what soaked into my brain turns out to have been a different matter.

Edit: Again though there is definitely a different feel in the art.

For a long time before they started changing the mythos, I thought Springfield Illinois was what they were talking about. We have the most nuclear powerplants of any state and there is a Shelbyville near Springfield. (and yes I am aware of the Oregon references).

Finally I know what these people are called. SJWs = social justice warriors. It seems like everyone is just copy pasting each other. The same people that go to protests, so they can brag about it on social media, rather than actually caring about the cause.

Finally I know what these people are called. SJWs = social justice warriors. It seems like everyone is just copy pasting each other. The same people that go to protests, so they can brag about it on social media, rather than actually caring about the cause.
And we now return you to your regularly scheduled comic thread or else this is really gonna fly OT instead of tangentially artwork related.

greenarrow41.6.3.15.jpg

Whether the uproar comes from a vocal minority or vocal majority is irrelevant in terms of the veracity of the argument. Han shooting first is a terrible example because it's in a complete different context and at the end of the day, he still kills the other bounty hunter and isn't crippled by it.

Does the pic qualify as sexual assualt? Sure! But to compare it to being completely stripped down nude while bleeding out from a gunshot wound takes it to a further extreme. The content is similar, but in no way the same.

Do double standards exist? Of course they do and for a reason. When we cease to live in a patriarchy, you can go on about double standards all you want and I'd be right there standing on line with you, but until then, all your doing is making false equivalencies.

The imagery is of a sexual nature regardless of the artists intent. Everything's symbolic and expresses things about society...that's what art is. Personally, I think it's a great piece of art technically and artistically. I don't have a problem that it exists as it really highlights some big problems in the industry and society.

DC isn't bending to the will of any mob. They made a calculated decision to pull the Batgirl cover for various reasons. It's a double standard by the very loosest of definitions. Getting a paper cut is not the same thing as being shanked. Again, false equivalence.

I think you mean you found a new pejorative term to use against people that involve themselves in socially progressive issues you don't understand or approve of...kinda like the way you use "femenist!" Believe me, I'm sure organizers of those protests don't care about a participant's dogmatic purity to their cause is as long as they're not working against it. And no, being outspoken or posting pics on facebook isn't working against it no matter how lame, opportunist, or silly you think it makes them look. I think it's lame to make it about caricatures of people that participate in a movement because it's easier to make fun of them to discredit the message or issue..

So what would that social group be called? What do we call lefter than left? The republicans have the religious right, what are the fringe called on the left?

It is ignorant to assume I am for or against social issues that I am arguing about in this thread. Like I said I see all angles. It seems like you fall back on false equivalence whenever you don't agree with something to dismiss it.

I understand what a feminist is. I don't agree with the term being used for "a person that supports women rights". If that were the case, there would be no need for the term feminist because the majority of the population supports women's rights. I support women's rights, but don't call me a feminist. I am not worried about what my friends think about me or trying to get laid by someone that thinks they are a freedom fighter. Feminist has a taint associated with it. "Equalist", would probably be a more appropriate term for myself.

Here is another false equivalence for you: If I were black by society's standards (technically I believe I am a black man trapped in a white man's body and I should be given just as much respect on the issue as someone who believes they are a man/woman trapped in the other sex's body), I wouldn't like being called the n word (even with an 'a') by anyone. There are certain words that have a taint no matter how much a group wants to "take it back".

I don't like either of the covers, but in a democratic republic I can voice my concern by protesting or I can protest with my wallet. Unfortunately the latter has been taken away by the former. So in theory the SJWs (for lack of a better term) are taking away my freedom of choice. If they were open minded they would protest after the cover came out.

I've been to protests and I have seen passionate organizers and a large crowd taking pictures of themselves or staring at their phones the majority of the time they were there...which in most cases was long enough to snap a selfie and leave.

Tangent rant: We live in a society where people are up in arms over everything, yet they forget about it a week later. Is New Orleans rebuilt? How is Fukushima doing? How about the Exxon Valdez oil spill? (25 years ago-still not paid out or cleaned up) What about the people that lie about an issue to bring attention to it? "Hands up" "Hands up" What a fucking joke. You have an adult who stole and criminally assaulted another person and was resisting arrest (possibly more) and they are portrayed as a child, who's identity was mistaken with another person, and was surrendering peacefully, that was slaughtered in the street. Did he need/deserve to die? No. Was he Emmett Till? No.

People can say what they want about the right wingers, but the guys that have the "Obama Hitler" signs that hang out at my post office seem to be in it for the long haul (all 2 of them :lol: ). Even though I want to destroy their signs every time I pass them, I silently admire their dedication to their cause.

I had to do this in Word. I hate CAG 3.0 sometimes...

So what would that social group be called? What do we call lefter than left? The republicans have the religious right, what are the fringe called on the left?
Honestly? They’re called “liberals.” A vast majority of people don’t see or care for a difference regardless of where on the spectrum of liberalism a liberal is. It’s kinda like how you treat the term “feminist” actually. And I can't remember any time that "The Religious Right" was used in any way close to pejoritavely or has come close to having the same intensity in the zeitgueist.

It is ignorant to assume I am for or against social issues that I am arguing about in this thread. Like I said I see all angles. It seems like you fall back on false equivalence whenever you don't agree with something to dismiss it

I understand what a feminist is. I don't agree with the term being used for "a person that supports women rights". If that were the case, there would be no need for the term feminist because the majority of the population supports women's rights. I support women's rights, but don't call me a feminist. I am not worried about what my friends think about me or trying to get laid by someone that thinks they are a freedom fighter. Feminist has a taint associated with it. "Equalist", would probably be a more appropriate term for myself.
Saying and agreeing that people are equal doesn’t make it so. Feminism encompasses more than just equal rights. It’s also about having equal social, economic, and political power. We live in a male-dominated world and considering the disparities between the sexes, the term is still relevant. If the above is all that you were saying, we wouldn’t be having this line of conversation, but the truth of the matter is that you reduced feminism to a caricature of it. THAT’S the difference.

There's nothing wrong with being or calling oneself a feminist. That's the point. If you choose not to label yourself as one, that's your perogative, but don't bag on those that do or use stereotypes to reinforce a weak argument to make up for your lack of articulation on a subject.

Here is another false equivalence for you: If I were black by society's standards (technically I believe I am a black man trapped in a white man's body and I should be given just as much respect on the issue as someone who believes they are a man/woman trapped in the other sex's body), I wouldn't like being called the n word (even with an 'a') by anyone. There are certain words that have a taint no matter how much a group wants to "take it back".
That’s nice, but you’re not black by society’s standards and that’s not a false equivalence because you’re not comparing being called a nigg-er/-a to anything. Making a false equivalence would be saying that calling someone a cracker/honkey has the same cultural baggage as being called a nigger because both are racial slurs. The latter is the exact type of argument you’re making with the Arrow/Joker picture and Batgirl/Joker picture along with your whole double standard flag waving.

I don't like either of the covers, but in a democratic republic I can voice my concern by protesting or I can protest with my wallet. Unfortunately the latter has been taken away by the former. So in theory the SJWs (for lack of a better term) are taking away my freedom of choice. If they were open minded they would protest after the cover came out.
Tell me again how you’re not using that term pejoratively? Maybe you should blame DC for taking away your voice because ultimately, they were the ones with the power to print the cover.

I've been to protests and I have seen passionate organizers and a large crowd taking pictures of themselves or staring at their phones the majority of the time they were there...which in most cases was long enough to snap a selfie and leave.

Tangent rant: We live in a society where people are up in arms over everything, yet they forget about it a week later. Is New Orleans rebuilt? How is Fukushima doing? How about the Exxon Valdez oil spill? (25 years ago-still not paid out or cleaned up) What about the people that lie about an issue to bring attention to it? "Hands up" "Hands up" What a fucking joke. You have an adult who stole and criminally assaulted another person and was resisting arrest (possibly more) and they are portrayed as a child, who's identity was mistaken with another person, and was surrendering peacefully, that was slaughtered in the street. Did he need/deserve to die? No. Was he Emmett Till? No.

People can say what they want about the right wingers, but the guys that have the "Obama Hitler" signs that hang out at my post office seem to be in it for the long haul (all 2 of them :lol: ). Even though I want to destroy their signs every time I pass them, I silently admire their dedication to their cause.
-Numbers are numbers in a protest. As long as those photo opportunists weren’t the majority of protestors, who cares.

-Brown was the straw that broke the camel’s back. It was about more than that one shooting. There’s a thread in Vs. if you want to discuss.

-It’s interesting that you don’t feel the same about “feminists.”

Are these argument's invalid since nothing will be solved because every argument a person makes, makes them further entrenched on their stance and unwilling to budge and vice versa on the other side? Meaning, isn't this all arguing for the sake of arguing?

That’s nice, but you’re not black by society’s standards and that’s not a false equivalence because you’re not comparing being called a nigg-er/-a to anything. Making a false equivalence would be saying that calling someone a cracker/honkey has the same cultural baggage as being called a nigger because both are racial slurs. The latter is the exact type of argument you’re making with the Arrow/Joker picture and Batgirl/Joker picture along with your whole double standard flag waving.
I was comparing it to the term "feminist" from the previous paragraph.

I'm saying they were the majority of the protesters. The "look at me generation" devaluing the cause.

--

There are different degrees of liberal (to most people) I think calling the people we are discussing "liberals" is a discredit to the other people who are generally considered liberal in their views. There are the people who vote for nader to make a statement rather than keep a republican out of office. There is a point where being too fringe hurts everyone and loses the goal of the group. I believe "cutting off your nose to spite your face" applies here, but I'm sure you will tell me otherwise.

You can continue to use vocabulary to be condescending if you'd like. If you are as intelligent as you think you are, you understand the general idea of what I am saying even if I am not using the PC term or post-wikpedia historical rewrite.

IDK what is wrong with CAG, but nothing is working right.

Are these argument's invalid since nothing will be solved because every argument a person makes, makes them further entrenched on their stance and unwilling to budge and vice versa on the other side? Meaning, isn't this all arguing for the sake of arguing?
Well, one side of the argument is trying to help females and the other is trying to hold them back. It's not so bad to be entrenched in one of those positions.

It's time for a mod to put an end to this.

Not at all. As you can see, we came to the mutual agreement that CAG is borked.

Well, one side of the argument is trying to help females and the other is trying to hold them back. It's not so bad to be entrenched in one of those positions.
Both sides are trying to help females. We just have different approaches. Gradual change vs instant gratification.

It's time for a mod to put an end to this.
I Wouldn't go "that far" more so I just don't see the point in all this feuding and a fussing.

Also DC and Marvel as a whole I don't think it's a bad thing when they do something I hate, it just means I can save money and buy something else. I Finally read the first issue of Sex Criminals. Holy fuck, Image Comics amazes me with how they went from...whatever the fuck they were doing in the 90's to most of 2000's to what they have coming out now.

I Wouldn't go "that far" more so I just don't see the point in all this feuding and a fussing.

Also DC and Marvel as a whole I don't think it's a bad thing when they do something I hate, it just means I can save money and buy something else. I Finally read the first issue of Sex Criminals. Holy fuck, Image Comics amazes me with how they went from...whatever the fuck they were doing in the 90's to most of 2000's to what they have coming out now.
Totally digging The Wicked + The Divine right now. Image has some good shit.

As for tossing labels out there, I think this pretty much sums up the use of negative labeling and how it shuts down argument. No use continuing here. *Makes hand motion* I'm out.

Comics

As for tossing labels out there, I think this pretty much sums up the use of negative labeling and how it shuts down argument. No use continuing here. *Makes hand motion* I'm out.
I wasn't using a negative label, I was using what seems to be the label people use. I asked what the correct label was and I was told "liberal". A square is a rectangle, but a rectangle isn't necessarily a square. I wasn't looking for a negative label, I was looking for the correct one to simply the group we are talking about. Arguing about slavery, but not being able to agree on who is classified as "black" and "white" will never lead to a productive discussion. That is why you see parties referred to simplified titles in legal documents.

Totally digging The Wicked + The Divine right now. Image has some good shit.
I like Wicked & the Divine so far, but I'm afraid it might start stalling out. Feels like the last few issues haven't really moved much forward. I might end up dropping it like Morning Glories. I liked that one at first, but just felt like it wasn't going anywhere after a while.

Fair enough. To clarify, it wasn't the discussion itself that was the problem, it was when it went on for nearly an entire page with nary a mention of a comic.

I like Wicked & the Divine so far, but I'm afraid it might start stalling out. Feels like the last few issues haven't really moved much forward. I might end up dropping it like Morning Glories. I liked that one at first, but just felt like it wasn't going anywhere after a while.
If it's Gillen and involves some sort of mythological structure with gods I will give it a strong shot even though a period of seemingly slowness. I feel it's paid off in the past and he seems to have a similar view to mine regarding STORY as pertaining to gods.

Damn I don't really know how to phrase that better. Um the narrative casualty gods create and are beholden to by their very nature? That's how I would picture it working in the real world if any gods existed and it's an undercurrent in pretty much anything he touches that has to do with the subject matter. I dig it and The Wicked +The Divine is a sufficiently different enough take on the material from his work on Journey into Mystery that it would have to go significantly downhill in quality for me to stop buying.

I'm a comm scholar, belief shapes reality at a social level. I fully subscribe to the notion that it also shapes reality at the metaphysical level in the comic book world.

So this week got...

Batman and Robin #40

Django Zorro #5

Invincible #118

Multiversity: Ultra Comics

New Avengers #32

Spider-Gwen #2

Thief of Thieves #27

The Walking Dead #139

The Wicked + The Divine #9

Wytches #5

So this week got...

Batman and Robin #40
Django Zorro #5
Invincible #118
Multiversity: Ultra Comics
New Avengers #32
Spider-Gwen #2
Thief of Thieves #27
The Walking Dead #139
The Wicked + The Divine #9
Wytches #5
Wytches is a Synder book isn't it? How is it?

Wytches is a Synder book isn't it? How is it?
If you like American Vampire from Snyder, I think you'd enjoy it. It's a bit of a slow burn (as to be expected with horror based comic series), but I'm interested in seeing where it goes.

bread's done
Back