Comic Book Discussion Thread (Marvel, DC, Image, Dark Horse, Top Cow, IDW, Indy, etc)

The owners of the local shop were down at Comic-Con, resulting in a different store schedule and fill-in workers. Due to those factors, I didn't get all of this past Wednesday's issues until earlier tonight.

• Age of Apocalypse #1
• Civil War #1
• Inferno #3
• Justice League of America #2
• Lando #1
• Secret Wars 2099 #3
• Starfire #2
• Star Trek/Green Lantern #1

2qsqsrk.jpg

It's only a 5 issue limited series like Princess Leia was. I'm excited about the Chewbacca series coming later this year.
I didn't realize that, well I might as well get the whole thing. It's still not as good as Vader's title but when it comes to the Star Wars comics, what is?

Guys Hawkeye 22 is finally out. I'm so excited. Will be picking it up soon.
Read it. For the life of me could not remember what the hell happened in the previous issues and the recap page saying "If you're still here you know what happened last time" was like a giant go fuck yourself and in extremely poor taste considering how damn late this series has been.

Yeah I could go read the previous issues but I shouldn't have to and you would think that since there was a huge gap between this and the last issue and a gap from hell prior to that one they would be kind enough to offer a short recap.

Edit: Seriously an entire storyline started and wrapped up in another Hawkeye comic between the last two issues and "you know what happened." Yeah I know what happened, the editor forgot just like I did and thus couldn't write a damn recap page.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was raiding in Destiny last night and tonight, so I forgot to post this. Here's what I picked up yesterday:

• Ant-Man Annual #1
• Black Canary #2
• Captain Marvel and the Carol Corps #2
• Guardians of Knowhere #1
• Harley Quinn #18
• Inhumans: Attilan Rising #3
• Justice League #42
• Martian Manhunter #2
• Planet Hulk #3
• Secret Wars: Battleworld #3
• Siege #1
• Years of Future Past #3

2n8yg0m.jpg

That's about what I get.

And did anyone pick up the first issue of We Stand on Guard by Brian K. Vaughn and Steve Skroce (storyboard artist for the Matrix if you need any reference) this week? That comic has ridiculous amounts of potential.
Just finished We Stand of Guard a few minutes ago and I agree with you. Pretty gruesome stuff at the beginning and near the end.

Archie vs. Sharknado wasn't bad, but Archie vs. Predator pushed the insanity level in ways I never thought they would that it feels weird to be reading Sharknado afterwards.

Here's what I got yesterday:

• Archie vs. Sharknado #1
• Archie vs. Predator #4
• Birthright #9
• Cyborg #1
• Deathstroke #8
• Harley Quinn & Power Girl #2
• Kanan: The Last Padawan #4
• Marvel Zombies #2
• Old Man Logan #3
• Star-Lord and Kitty Pryde #1

25pil5e.jpg

I have been fairly stingy with my pickup lately but that will probably change with the new Marvel stuff that will be coming out soon. I might just switch to TPB soon so I can save some $$$ but I don't want to. It's really hard to wait for some of the comics to be collected months later in TPB.

I Think for better or worse I may become stingy after the Marvel relaunch. Only thing that catches my interest is Waid's Avengers and maybe Old Man Logan and new Spider-man series by Slott. Otherwise I think I can wait on trades or hardcovers since nothing really interests me. Though I do agree it's hard to wait months for collected editions since this hobby is so quick to spoil things; be it by fans, nerdy news sites, in comics that have some ties to other series or the covers themselves.

And I just preordered the Ms.Marvel hardcover from Amazon, it's about half off so why not and see what the fuss is about. Though I did finish the first hardcover of Fraction's Hawkeye and damn, that is fantastic. Can't wait to get the next one in December.

Yeah getting spoil is very easy. Even the writers I follow on twitter spoils some of the plot the day before their comics are released too.

Reading through Showcase Presents: Men at War, which collects all 26 issues in this series. It stars Gravedigger, a Black man who overcame his polio to become practically Captain America. Because of racism in the ranks, he is only given the most dangerous of missions, as it is expected he will not survive.  Backup features include the Enemy Ace, not drawn by Joe Kubert though, and Dateline: Frontline, which is about a journalist who experiences the war in more osbscure areas. Stories include the London Underground bomb shelters, and the African front. A very exciting read.

61kNqgnTnhL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Reading through Showcase Presents: Men at War, which collects all 26 issues in this series. It stars Gravedigger, a Black man who overcame his polio to become practically Captain America. Because of racism in the ranks, he is only given the most dangerous of missions, as it is expected he will not survive. Backup features include the Enemy Ace, not drawn by Joe Kubert though, and Dateline: Frontline, which is about a journalist who experiences the war in more osbscure areas. Stories include the London Underground bomb shelters, and the African front. A very exciting read.

61kNqgnTnhL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg
When I read Gravedigger I was hoping it was a man who overcame his polio to become a monster truck to crush the Nazi's (literally) and at the end of each issue I was hoping it would show Hitler with a brand new car parked out front of his fortress or castle or whatever and Gravedigger would immediately crush it and Hitler would throw a fit. You guys, I think I just wrote the synopsis for the greatest comic ever.

I'm currently reading the new overstreet. Comics I've been stockpiling have gone up, so that is nice.

I also started rereading Fables last month because "A Wolf Among Us" got me thinking about the comics again.  I saw that the series is ending or just ended too (i didn't know it went that long).

Yeah getting spoil is very easy. Even the writer I follow on twitter spoil some of the plot the day before their comics are released too.
There used to be a user on here who worked at a comic shop and was constantly posting spoilers on Tuesday because that was when his store got their books in. It didn't take too long of him pulling that crap for me to put him on my ignore list.

The only comics I'm currently getting is walking dead and puppet master.

Most comics nowadays are becoming gimmicks with extremely inconsistent convoluted stories especially from the big two. Its either a spin off, cross over, special cover, annual 1 shot special etc.

A lot of what I see in comic book industry now is more collectors then actual readers. I actually think more comics get sold never be read and preserved then get sold to be read.

Most comics nowadays are becoming gimmicks with extremely inconsistent convoluted stories especially from the big two. Its either a spin off, cross over, special cover, annual 1 shot special etc.

A lot of what I see in comic book industry now is more collectors then actual readers. I actually think more comics get sold never be read and preserved then get sold to be read.
Ironically enough part of that dramatic increase in "collectors" (speculators) is due in part to non-big two books like Walking Dead and Saga with their dramatic increase in value.

This was easily the lightest week for me in comics in awhile. But...NEW SABRINA! WOOOO!!! And I got first issue of Sex Criminals vol. 3, but I'm torn on now collecting it month in and out or wait for the hardcover to go alongside my Big Hard Sex Criminals hardcover.

How's Saga though? I heard a lot of good things about it.
It's good. I Don't think it needed to be hyped up as much as it did (or has), but it's good. It's an original take on sci-fi and fantasy with some belivable characters thanks to Vaughn's dialouge and Fiona Staples is no slouch on the art department. Her take on Archie if anything has made me appreciate her style more in Saga in that drawing a great big original universe it's easy to forget how good she is at facial reactions and body language.

Nowadays? Uh, that's been the way for over twenty years now. Back then it was Wolverine in every comic these days its Deadpool and really nothing has changed. Though outside of the major sellers of the big two it's also just as easy these days to just enjoy a stand alone series from the big two with no problems. Like Hawkeye, Animal Man, Ms.Marvel or Black Canary.

And more collectors? I Don't see anywhere as much people buying comics for the sake of collecting as opposed to reading. I See alot more people picking up trades and hardcovers of comics more then anything else these days, which don't really go up in the second hand market. Hell even the sales numbers seem to back that up year after year.

Weird that Fables is over. The ending didn't go the way I expected, but Fables has done that a few times over the years with things you expect never happening.

I wonder how pissed Superman is now that he has been outted as Clark Kent. I think he should be like the Plutonian in Irredeemable and pretty muck kill the Justice League and destroy the world. I can't remember what issue it is, but I love when his girlfriend/Lois Lane character gets pissed and tells everyone he is pretty much Superman.

Scan12171.jpg

Weird that Fables is over. The ending didn't go the way I expected, but Fables has done that a few times over the years with things you expect never happening.

I wonder how pissed Superman is now that he has been outted as Clark Kent. I think he should be like the Plutonian in Irredeemable and pretty muck kill the Justice League and destroy the world. I can't remember what issue it is, but I love when his girlfriend/Lois Lane character gets pissed and tells everyone he is pretty much Superman.

Scan12171.jpg
We already have our Justice League destroying Superman in the Injustice comic, which surprise to me, is still damn good. I Never expected this much depth and "OH SNAP!" moments in nearly every issue from a video game tie in comic ever.

Nowadays? Uh, that's been the way for over twenty years now. Back then it was Wolverine in every comic these days its Deadpool and really nothing has changed. Though outside of the major sellers of the big two it's also just as easy these days to just enjoy a stand alone series from the big two with no problems. Like Hawkeye, Animal Man, Ms.Marvel or Black Canary.

And more collectors? I Don't see anywhere as much people buying comics for the sake of collecting as opposed to reading. I See alot more people picking up trades and hardcovers of comics more then anything else these days, which don't really go up in the second hand market. Hell even the sales numbers seem to back that up year after year.
+1 I think trades sales are huge compared to regular comics right now. There are a lot of speculators, self proclaimed "nerds", and women collecting now, so it causes a spike in prices for certain comic books (like Deadpool, Harley, and anything to do with an upcoming movie) because they don't know any better. They are willing to pay out of love for a character or for status or out of ignorance of collector value.

Yeah. I wish I would have kept collecting it/went back and bought the back issues. I actually picked up the first trade at a garage sale years ago and I completely forgot about the series. I read the first few arcs, but I stopped at some point. So far I am on the 3rd trade and I remember the stories, so I must have stopped reading around issue 30 or so. I really enjoyed a Wolf among us and it was cool to see snow and bigby in action. Hopefully one of the local stores will have the last issue because they usually become hard to find.

This was easily the lightest week for me in comics in awhile. But...NEW SABRINA! WOOOO!!! And I got first issue of Sex Criminals vol. 3, but I'm torn on now collecting it month in and out or wait for the hardcover to go alongside my Big Hard Sex Criminals hardcover.

It's good. I Don't think it needed to be hyped up as much as it did (or has), but it's good. It's an original take on sci-fi and fantasy with some belivable characters thanks to Vaughn's dialouge and Fiona Staples is no slouch on the art department. Her take on Archie if anything has made me appreciate her style more in Saga in that drawing a great big original universe it's easy to forget how good she is at facial reactions and body language.

You should watch more youtube videos and go on more collecting forums.

I see people buying the trades to singles they own doubles of just so they don't have to read the singles.

I see people at the comic shop look through stacks of the same comic cherry picking the most pristine ones.

When I see someone get a damaged comic shipped to them from a mainstream comic retailer the way they go about it portrays how the industry is. They will say things like don't those guys know how to ship comics these are supposed to be collectibles.

Pretty much the mindset of the 90s still where they think its a investment over the purpose of reading the actual book.

You should watch more youtube videos and go on more collecting forums.

I see people buying the trades to singles they own doubles of just so they don't have to read the singles.

I see people at the comic shop look through stacks of the same comic cherry picking the most pristine ones.
Even then, those people are the minority. They're as much of the comic book fan whole as CAG's are to the world of gaming. For people like that there are much more who never step foot in an actual comic shop and get their comics in trade or hardcover format from Amazon, book stores or even digitally through comixology. Year after year increase in sales in the trade and hardcover via comic book distributor Diamond Comic Distributors show that the "collector's" are only a small market. I Think Robert Kirkman himself in an interview said that single issues don't make anywhere near the sales of collected editions as well and that's where majority of his money from comics came from these days.

Even then, those people are the minority. They're as much of the comic book fan whole as CAG's are to the world of gaming. For people like that there are much more who never step foot in an actual comic shop and get their comics in trade or hardcover format from Amazon, book stores or even digitally
Digital really is huge too. Marvel has said that Ms. Marvel digital sales outperforms print sales by a fair amount. For some audiences most of their purchases are digital and there are no hard numbers on those sales. No one is buying digital for the collector/speculation market though.

As usual miniseries, first appearances, number ones, and media properties may get targeted by collectors and then fans that become enamored through exposure from second hand media but the majority of current btooks bought are getting read.

Die hard comic sites and forums tend not to represent the average fan.

Here's what I got last night. My local place once again didn't even order Ghostbusters Get Real.

• Age of Ultron vs. Marvel Zombies #2
• Deathlok #10
• Deathstroke Annual #1
• Guardians Team-Up #8
• M.O.D.O.K. Assassin #3
• S.H.I.E.L.D #8
• Star Wars #7
• Thors #2
• X-Men '92 #2

b4hx0j.jpg

bread's done
Back