comic book reader / tablets

floormat

CAGiversary!
Feedback
9 (100%)
Basically I am looking for a tablet or something else useful to read CBR & PDF files. Since I am on the go a lot I am looking for a way to catch up on my comic reading and lugin around several comic's (if i can even find the issues in paper format) can be a pain. An ipad 2 16 gb is like 500 and 500 hundred to read comics is just silly to me. So basically I am hoping for some suggestions for a good reader probably in the 10" + range in size and hopefully at a reasonalbe price. Thanks.

Blast if you must but if you have something useful please post as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well i found a Archos 10.1" android 2.3 dual touch tablet that plays 1080p with an Arm cortex a 8 processor. It says it uses gingerbread. After examining it in store it doesn't quite seem 10.1" but i didnt have a tape measure. It might be 10.1 under the outer edging of the unit itself.

They had big buck bunny on the unit itself and it seemed to play with no problems. No comic programs to try out though the sales lady mentions she reads the walking dead on her tablet.

Not the tablet to play infinity blade with but might be fine for watching 720p shows and should be fine for comic books. HH Gregg was selling it for 179.99 normal price

Might give it a try. Still open to any other suggestions.

I have the Archos 101. It works great. I use comic rack for android free version. I've been reading comics on that for 8-9 months now.

[quote name='ps360gamer']I have the Archos 101. It works great. I use comic rack for android free version. I've been reading comics on that for 8-9 months now.[/QUOTE]

it it fairly simple and reliable or is it something you have to fight? Like does every cbr and cbz file upload and work or is it here and there?

ComicCat on Kindle Fire is pretty darned good.

ComicZeal if you go the iPad route. (There's NO way you'd need to spend $500 on an iPad 2 - you can easily pick up a 16GB model for under $350.)

Surely there are others.

[quote name='Kylearan']ComicCat on Kindle Fire is pretty darned good.

ComicZeal if you go the iPad route. (There's NO way you'd need to spend $500 on an iPad 2 - you can easily pick up a 16GB model for under $350.)

Surely there are others.[/QUOTE]

I just looked up some information about ComicCat and the reviews are pretty stellar but I'm not quite sure how it works. Do you buy the comics directly through the program? I currently have Comixology and I've bought several comics through that website. Am I able to transfer those comics to ComicCat or do I have to buy them all over again? How does ComicCat compare to Comixology?

I'm using ComicRack for Android (Paid) on my Asus Transformer. It's the first model but the thing has a clear screen and I've been reading comics on it since the ComicRack for Android came out. I dumped my iPad2 and HP Touchpad to exclusively use my Transformer. You can find the first models for a decent price at most places. It comes in a 16GB or 32GB model and both come with the ability to use a MicroSD card to expand the storage space.

The only thing I've run into, and it's the same across all 10" tablets not just the transformer, is that they are bit heavier most of the time and depending upon how you hold them to read it can be awkward over long reading sessions. Basically anything over 3-4 hours.

bread's done
Back