comic book value vs. price paid question

lokizz

CAGiversary!
Feedback
21 (100%)
does a new comics higher sale price reflect the actual value of said comic on the market? theres a few series im interested in collecting and ive noticed over the past few months the price for those comics has gone up alot not only for the variant covers but the original basic covers as well. so does that mean this is a valuable comic now or just hard to find?

[quote name='lokizz']does a new comics higher sale price reflect the actual value of said comic on the market?[/quote]

It really baffles me why anyone would pay cover price for a comic book, its a buyers market, and so easy to buy comics on the cheap off of ebay, or from a quarter bin in a B&M store. Comics are essentially worthless, unless if it a true collectors item from the bronze, or silver, or gold age(before 1980) an in good shape

if you mean "ebay value" instead of "actual value of said comics", remember that comics are mad cheap on ebay(usually). check recently closed auctions if you are curious.

theres a few series im interested in collecting and ive noticed over the past few months the price for those comics has gone up alot not only for the variant covers but the original basic covers as well. so does that mean this is a valuable comic now or just hard to find?

if you really dont like buying off of ebay, you can check on google for other price guides, wizard etc

I just want to say that it's better to put money into a Roth IRA than making an investment out of comic books (or video games). However, I don't know if that's your intention, lokizz. In any event, I have seen people at other forums say such, and just find it absurd.

no im not making an investment i stopped collecting comics years ago i dont think theres much money in them anyway.its just a series i was going to buy that has shot up in value rather quickly so i was curious if its due to them being worth that much or hard to find. i will check out what you mention though since i am interested in doing some investing. thanks both of you for your help and input.

Comics are a horrible investment in general but if you actually just want to read them then I would look online for deals. If you just want to read them then you don't need them to be in AAA condition and can likely find some really good deals online.

I haven't bought any comics in about 15 years and it is just crazy how expensive they have all become. When I stopped, the average comic was like $1.25 or something with annuals or double issues coming it at $2.50 or so. Now it seems like everything is $2.50 or more for a new issue.

I've got a bunch of old golden and silver age Superman/Batman/Xmen/Hulk/F4 and many more series that are probably pretty valuable. I got them free from an uncle. They are in pretty good shape but none of them are graded or anything.

[quote name='dracula']It really baffles me why anyone would pay cover price for a comic book, its a buyers market, and so easy to buy comics on the cheap off of ebay, or from a quarter bin in a B&M store. Comics are essentially worthless, unless if it a true collectors item from the bronze, or silver, or gold age(before 1980) an in good shape

if you mean "ebay value" instead of "actual value of said comics", remember that comics are mad cheap on ebay(usually). check recently closed auctions if you are curious.

if you really dont like buying off of ebay, you can check on google for other price guides, wizard etc[/QUOTE]

I'm just curious, couldn't this also be said about some games, as well? Why pay B&M prices when we can just wait for the casual gamers to eventually saturate the market with their used games when they're done? I'm not saying that this is what we *should* do, but it just seems along the lines of your logic, which I don't really quite agree with.

[quote name='BillyBob29']Comics are a horrible investment in general but if you actually just want to read them then I would look online for deals. If you just want to read them then you don't need them to be in AAA condition and can likely find some really good deals online.

I haven't bought any comics in about 15 years and it is just crazy how expensive they have all become. When I stopped, the average comic was like $1.25 or something with annuals or double issues coming it at $2.50 or so. Now it seems like everything is $2.50 or more for a new issue.

I've got a bunch of old golden and silver age Superman/Batman/Xmen/Hulk/F4 and many more series that are probably pretty valuable. I got them free from an uncle. They are in pretty good shape but none of them are graded or anything.[/quote]

i agree with you they are way too expensive but i bought the angel after the fall series due to my love of the show and wondering what happened after the fact. thas one series that people are charing alot for so if it is worth that much now i may end up selling all mine off to get in on it and just buy the complete tpb later.

but alot of these marvel series have got me curious too eh but its a slippery slope so i dont want to fall into the trap.

its crazy how many things are going up in price over in the gc section a link was posted showing where pikmin 2 went for 100 bucks on ebay.

[quote name='sailorchrono']I'm just curious, couldn't this also be said about some games, as well? Why pay B&M prices when we can just wait for the casual gamers to eventually saturate the market with their used games when they're done? I'm not saying that this is what we *should* do, but it just seems along the lines of your logic, which I don't really quite agree with.[/QUOTE]

the point was the as soon as you buy a comic book and pay $4 to $5 it wont be worth more than 25 cents if you were to try and sell it. for a video game, you can buy it in B&M on sale pretty easily, and then finish it and sell it for about what you paid for it, or maybe more, depending on where you got it and how much you paid.

There isnt any other way to get most comics on the cheap other than buy off ebay. I guess you can get many of the 1980s and 1990s from quarter bins in B&M but that wont apply to newer comics.

bread's done
Back