Community Feedback Poll - Game Piracy

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='Dead of Knight']Hell no they shouldn't be able to talk about it. The only people who should post personal hands-on impressions of unreleased games are people who've played a demo, or people in the industry who got to play them early, such as MarkMan. Otherwise I'd say it's grounds for a bannination.[/QUOTE]

Should we start making people like MarkMang prove everything he got was legit with every post?

Offtopic
[quote name='DarkRequiem']
zelda-sig-1.jpg
[/quote]

Need to edit your sig a bit

[quote name='zewone']Should we start making people like MarkMang prove everything he got was legit with every post?[/QUOTE]

No (though Gamefaqs has a system to verify if someone's in the industry), but considering everything he's posted in the past, including hands-on impressions of games that aren't even able to be pirated, it's safe to say the guy has the credentials. It's also safe to say that not all of the nearly dozen people in the OTT who've been playing Rock Band 2 have such credentials.

[quote name='chex20']Did I ever say I bought the disc?

Reading comprehension, did you learn it?[/QUOTE]

Hmm...

[quote name='chex20']I don't, and never will condone piracy but just wanted to posts some thoughts.[/QUOTE]

So...if you didn't BUY the disc and you didn't PIRATE it (since you don't condone piracy, after all), mind telling us how you're playing it? Given these comments:

[quote name='chex20']Being a person who follows the piracy world daily...

Rock band 2 was just released early, about 6 days before release.[/QUOTE]

...I suspect I already know the answer (hint: it starts with a "P" and ends in "irated"), but I want to hear your explanation. I'm expecting the response to be one hell of a coincidence, but let's hear it anyway.

Also, since you've got the game early and since you said you've got no problem with early impressions, you might want to think about posting some. Just to see what happens.

Go on. Test the fucking system. I want to see how the mods and CheapyD are going to handle it, because I think our hypothetical "what if" is on the verge of becoming reality. You don't think there's a problem with it, and this seems like a prime opportunity to back up your words with action.

[quote name='Pookymeister']Offtopic
Need to edit your sig a bit
[/quote]
I noticed it awhile ago, but until I feel like doing something to it, It'll stay typo'd. =]

[quote name='mykevermin']Nah. I don't read. If I did ever develop reading comprehension, I'd only be able to understand proper grammar and syntax, not Yoda-driven prattling like "reading comprehension, did you learn it?"[/quote]

Actually, I think Yoda would phrase it a lot differently, more like...

"Learn reading comprehension, did you?"

Also, Gothic Walrus is a $$$.

[quote name='grifter_mcgraw']
Also, Gothic Walrus is a $$$.[/QUOTE]

I don't see how we can argue against such a well thought out rationale.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']It's also safe to say that not all of the nearly dozen people in the OTT who've been playing Rock Band 2 have such credentials.[/QUOTE]
Where is our Jesus Christ to flush out that den of thieves!!?!?!?

[quote name='zewone']I don't see how we can argue against such a well thought out rationale.[/quote]

His posts have such a whiny and childish tone.

Izzat 'well thought out' enough for you?

[quote name='zewone']Whiny and childish = homosexual.

Got it.[/quote]

Oh, like you really have the moral fiber to care more than "HEY, I CAN USE THIS TO ATTACK THIS MAN!"

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='grifter_mcgraw']Also, Gothic Walrus is a $$$.[/QUOTE]

Nice to see you taking the high road. :roll:

[quote name='grifter_mcgraw']Oh, like you really have the moral fiber to care more than "HEY, I CAN USE THIS TO ATTACK THIS MAN!"[/QUOTE]

Given that he's posted at least one page-long "legal" excuse for why piracy is okay and that he's been one of the ones saying it's fine to post early impressions, I want to see him practice what he's preaching.

[quote name='zewone']I don't give a shit.[/quote]

Your response says otherwise.

Oh, and gothic walrus, my road may not be the highest, but it's DEFINITELY higher than yours. DEFINITELY.

[quote name='Gothic Walrus']Looking through this thread, I'm starting to notice a trend. Most of the users who said "yes" seem to be focusing on the benefits to themselves or to individual users, whereas a lot of the people saying "no" are focusing on the site as a whole. :whistle2:k[/quote]

Yep. I think it's rather eye opening to be honest, and I'll just leave it at that.

[quote name='grifter_mcgraw']Your response says otherwise.

Oh, and gothic walrus, my road may not be the highest, but it's DEFINITELY higher than yours. DEFINITELY.[/QUOTE]

Do you seriously think that slurs against sexual preference are a higher road than what I posted?

I think the gay and lesbian users here might not agree with that.

[quote name='Gothic Walrus']Given that he's posted at least one page-long "legal" excuse for why piracy is okay and that he's been one of the ones saying it's fine to post early impressions, I want to see him practice what he's preaching.[/quote]

Really? Because it looked to me like you just wanted to whine and getting a few jokes about him pirating it.

Oh, wait, you also suggested he post early impressions, from how it looks, RIGHT NOW, which is, by the way, going above the heads of every other poster and voter here, not to mention the mods.

i dont get this. all banning this will do is increase the amount of people who get games from their brother's dog's flea's former host's roommate's grandpa who works at nintendo

[quote name='NegativeZero']Nope, unless said person can prove that its not pirated and was actually purchased early. But often that is unlikely.[/quote]

do review sites ever give proof? i mean we just assume that they get the copies legit, why is it so wrong to do that with CAGs???

I need to go to sleep....but man this thread has kept me entertained all day long. There's some awesome quotes to be had and some great laughs....Thanks CAG.

In before the lock....:D

[quote name='flaming homer']i dont get this. all banning this will do is increase the amount of people who get games from their brother's dog's flea's former host's roommate's grandpa who works at nintendo[/QUOTE]

Oh yeah.

I mean that's what I do already, but it's good to know more people will be in the same boat with me soon.

[quote name='Squeedom49']No, Pirated software is not always finished code. Thats what happend with Alone in the Dark.[/quote]

That was finished code. :lol:

Pretty sad, that with all of the things in the world going on;... economic failure, war, pending war with Pakistan/Iran/Russia, American union, pending impeachment process of Bush, surge of extra-terrestrial craft sightings, FEMA camps, coffins for 90% of the US population scattered across America, Nasa stating that there is going to be a major galactic event within the next few years, the Mayan/Egyptian calendar coming to an end, Sumerian tablets showing a planet heading toward us which will cause a polar shift, the environment failing, fossil fuels becoming more rare, and so much more all pointing to something negative on a global scale in the midst........ this is what people are concerned with :O
I've stopped gaming, and started listening to the meek voices around me. While sometimes I need a break from the dreadful aura that the populous is emitting, there are just too many serious issues to be worrying about silly things like this.
I know it's CAG, and I've enjoyed being a member for many years now. I just wish awareness was evident, and that people got more involved with the world instead of confines of their game dens; which is exactly where the system wants us.
Sure, piracy isn't good for the industry... but if there isn't an industry at all, then what's the point.

[quote name='drone8888']Pretty sad, that with all of the things in the world going on;... economic failure, war, pending war with Pakistan/Iran/Russia, American union, pending impeachment process of Bush, surge of extra-terrestrial craft sightings, FEMA camps, coffins for 90% of the US population scattered across America, Nasa stating that there is going to be a major galactic event within the next few years, the Mayan/Egyptian calendar coming to an end, Sumerian tablets showing a planet heading toward us which will cause a polar shift, the environment failing, fossil fuels becoming more rare, and so much more all pointing to something negative on a global scale in the midst........ this is what people are concerned with :O
I've stopped gaming, and started listening to the meek voices around me. While sometimes I need a break from the dreadful aura that the populous is emitting, there are just too many serious issues to be worrying about silly things like this.
I know it's CAG, and I've enjoyed being a member for many years now. I just wish awareness was evident, and that people got more involved with the world instead of confines of their game dens; which is exactly where the system wants us.
Sure, piracy isn't good for the industry... but if there isn't an industry at all, then what's the point.[/QUOTE]

This is a fucking videogame site, not a political science or "OMG the world's gonna end" forum. This place is supposed to be about videogames, not about fucking politics, conspiracies, and world issues. And in case you need your fill on that, we have a sub-forum for just that stuff. Seriously, I just don't get your point at all. No one is saying this is worse or more important than any of the world problems going on right now, so what the fuck are you talking about?

Seriously, is this a joke post? Pending impeachment process of Bush? Are you just pulling shit out of your ass? He's gone in a couple months, and Kucinich's efforts to get the ball rolling went nowhere.

[quote name='Gothic Walrus']Looking through this thread, I'm starting to notice a trend. Most of the users who said "yes" seem to be focusing on the benefits to themselves or to individual users, whereas a lot of the people saying "no" are focusing on the site as a whole. :whistle2:k[/quote]
That's a pretty narrow definition. Given that the only benefit of allowing pirated impressions benefits just the person who wants to make an informed shopping decision and banning it will allow self-righteous jackasses to feel good in their highly contrived morality while they go back to printing, copying, and sharing coupons as well as abusing customer service tenets wherever they can.

Excuse me if I don't exactly find the scorn of a bunch of preening internets wannabe nannies whose first instinct when seeing games on clearance for $7 is not to leave that deal for someone who wants to PLAY the game but to flip it at GameStop particularly genuine.

CAG is never going to be seen as a den of piracy simply because we don't have a ton of jackoffs who post GAMERDUDE'S LEET PREVIEW: DELIVERED TO YOU EARLY BY PIRACY. Attempting to POLICE THE INTERNET OF VIDEO GAME PIRACY is just going to create a backlash and drain the site of a lot of good contributors who *gasp* MAY ALSO PIRATE.

In before "RollingSkull... that is what a PIRATE would say. Are you now engaging or have you ever engaged in piracy? *Prepares Scarlet P brand*"

[quote name='drone8888']the Mayan/Egyptian calendar coming to an end, Sumerian tablets showing a planet heading toward us which will cause a polar shift,[/quote]
I find your ideas intriguing and would like to subscribe to your newsletter.

[quote name='Gothic Walrus']Looking through this thread, I'm starting to notice a trend. Most of the users who said "yes" seem to be focusing on the benefits to themselves or to individual users, whereas a lot of the people saying "no" are focusing on the site as a whole. :whistle2:k[/QUOTE]
I do not think so highly of myself that I am qualified to speak for a whole site. I prefer to speak for myself.

[quote name='drone8888']Pretty sad, that with all of the things in the world going on;... economic failure, war, pending war with Pakistan/Iran/Russia, American union, pending impeachment process of Bush, surge of extra-terrestrial craft sightings, FEMA camps, coffins for 90% of the US population scattered across America, Nasa stating that there is going to be a major galactic event within the next few years, the Mayan/Egyptian calendar coming to an end, Sumerian tablets showing a planet heading toward us which will cause a polar shift, the environment failing, fossil fuels becoming more rare, and so much more all pointing to something negative on a global scale in the midst........ this is what people are concerned with :O
Sure, piracy isn't good for the industry... but if there isn't an industry at all, then what's the point.[/QUOTE]
Why are you posting here instead of on your nearest highway, picking up litter?

I agree that this topic is useless, and really, why should anyone care if someone else on this site is pirating games?

But, you are trying to think too globally, and most people just live their day, not worrying about shit like you just posted.

This is a videogame website, not a United Nations summit.

[quote name='RollingSkull']I guess I shouldn't get so worked up. This little censorship game will be unenforceable anyway.[/QUOTE]

It's already been enforced in the OTT for months now.

But, you're right, scattered around the site, it'll be less enforceable.

[quote name='RollingSkull']That's a pretty narrow definition. Given that the only benefit of allowing pirated impressions benefits just the person who wants to make an informed shopping decision and banning it will allow self-righteous jackasses to feel good in their highly contrived morality while they go back to printing, copying, and sharing coupons as well as abusing customer service tenets wherever they can.

Excuse me if I don't exactly find the scorn of a bunch of preening internets wannabe nannies whose first instinct when seeing games on clearance for $7 is not to leave that deal for someone who wants to PLAY the game but to flip it at GameStop particularly genuine.

CAG is never going to be seen as a den of piracy simply because we don't have a ton of jackoffs who post GAMERDUDE'S LEET PREVIEW: DELIVERED TO YOU EARLY BY PIRACY. Attempting to POLICE THE INTERNET OF VIDEO GAME PIRACY is just going to create a backlash and drain the site of a lot of good contributors who *gasp* MAY ALSO PIRATE.

In before "RollingSkull... that is what a PIRATE would say. Are you now engaging or have you ever engaged in piracy? *Prepares Scarlet P brand*"[/QUOTE]

Trust me, I'm not going to do that to everyone who posts here. chex20 was a special case, for being borderline incoherent, using laws that don't mean what he thinks they do to support his case, and for flat out lying. :)

You are right that some of the people attacking the pirates are hypocrites. Not everyone, maybe (I can only speak for myself, but it's been years since the last time I've even thought about using a coupon from CAG or flipping games), but we've definitely got a few people here who are so two-faced that they'd be right at home in Gotham City.

Note to self: don't try to make up metaphors.

In any case, I'd give it twelve hours max before we see a post saying "But...but...that's not the same thing!" to justify the coupons. We've already had a few like that in the thread, so we're probably due for another.

The sad thing is, the can of worms that's been opened wasn't the intent of the thread in the first place. It is possible that Cheapy's a brilliant sociologist and I'm underestimating him, but I don't think it was his intent to get into a discussion on legality and morality of piracy.

[quote name='crystalklear64']I do not think so highly of myself that I am qualified to speak for a whole site. I prefer to speak for myself.[/QUOTE]

I didn't say that they're speaking for the site, though I maybe could have worded it better. Rather, what I meant is that they're focusing on the impact to the site (or, if you prefer, the effects on the site).

[quote name='zewone']It's already been enforced in the OTT for months now.

But, you're right, scattered around the site, it'll be less enforceable.[/quote]
I don't even know what OTT means.

[quote name='zewone']Me neither.[/quote]
Then how do you even know if something has been "enforced"... in OTT or whatever?

[quote name='Gothic Walrus']Trust me, I'm not going to do that to everyone who posts here. chex20 was a special case, for being borderline incoherent, using laws that don't mean what he thinks they do to support his case, and for flat out lying. :)

You are right that some of the people attacking the pirates are hypocrites. Not everyone, maybe (I can only speak for myself, but it's been years since the last time I've even thought about using a coupon from CAG or flipping games), but we've definitely got a few people here who are so two-faced that they'd be right at home in Gotham City.

In any case, I'd give it twelve hours max before we see a post saying "But...but...that's not the same thing!" to justify the coupons. We've already had a few like that in the thread, so we're probably due for another.

The sad thing is, the can of worms that's been opened wasn't the intent of the thread in the first place. It is possible that Cheapy's a brilliant sociologist and I'm underestimating him, but I don't think it was his intent to get into a discussion on legality and morality of piracy.[/quote]

I've seen so many pirates twist the legal gray area of electronically stored data to carve out an incoherent "legality" or even "moral justification" for piracy that I cease to find it infuriating, amusing, or even worth response.

The thing is, I don't care about this issue as far as it pertains to piracy. You need only post on ANY internet forum "I think piracy is pretty bad/cool" and you'll get the usual long-winded screeds from both sides. The internet is nothing if not predictable.

I only care as much as I think it is a silly and childish means of dealing with the issue. I find it irritating that the CAG userbase seems to think that throwing up a silly and nigh unenforcable rule that will dissuade importers, early acquirers, etc from posting their opinions is the best way to soothe their fragile collective conscience, and I find it insulting that the CAG userbase wants to hold a monopoly on morality.

CAG forums are as well-moderated as internets forums go... definitely a relatively respectable good cop to bad cop ratio, as well as a respectable moderation consistency. Comparable with GameFAQs. There's no danger of CAG being seen as a bastion of piracy. This sort of ruling only serves to massage the egos of those voting FOR THE GOOD GUYS HOW CAN YOU YES VOTERS SUPPORT PIRACY

[quote name='RollingSkull']CAG forums are as well-moderated as internets forums go... definitely a relatively respectable good cop to bad cop ratio, as well as a respectable moderation consistency. Comparable with GameFAQs. There's no danger of CAG being seen as a bastion of piracy. This sort of ruling only serves to massage the egos of those voting FOR THE GOOD GUYS HOW CAN YOU YES VOTERS SUPPORT PIRACY[/quote]

I would have to disagree, and say that there are WAY too many bad cops here. I cite all of the non-deal threads in the Game Deals forum, and the "R.I.P. Mousin" thread as evidence of this.

[quote name='grifter_mcgraw']I would have to disagree, and say that there are WAY too many bad cops here. I cite all of the non-deal threads in the Game Deals forum, and the "R.I.P. Mousin" thread as evidence of this.[/quote]
Consider it redacted. You'd know a lot better than I would.

I haven't played a PC game in a while, but to be honest I used to pirate games. Now for those of you greatly against that let me explain.

I'm a big believer in the try before you buy method of gaming. If a demo wasn't available I would quite often pirate the game and play it for an hour or so to get an impression of it, and more importantly see if it would actually run on my computer. If I liked the game and nothing horrible happened concerning it being able to play on my system I woul go and buy it.

But due to lacking one shader that most new games use I've kind of switched over to being a console only gamer. And with that i have no need to pirate or interest in making my console copy friendly since most games I'm interested in have a demo out eventually.

I do the same thing with music, download it, give it a listen, if I like it I go out and buy a higher quality copy of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back