Component Cable Blues?

aerol

CAGiversary!
I recently purchased an HDTV and decided to shed the use of the stock Wii composite cables, in favor of a set of component cables. I bought a clearanced Psyclone Wii Component Cable (PSE111) from Wal-Mart for $15 and plugged it in to the Wii/TV. Turned the Wii on and everything looked ok in the Wii menu and in several of the Wii channels. I changed the screen resolution in the Wii Settings from 480i to 480p. Things looked much sharper.

I then started Twilight Princess to enjoy the visuals at 480p and immediately I noticed white dots (or sparkles) in the picture during the opening sequence of the game. I started gameplay to see if they persisted, and I didn't come across any just messing around, but these artifacts in the opening title really disturbed me. I set the mode back to 480i to see if it would still happen, and of course it does, just with less sharpness.

I checked the connection and everything is fine and in the correct connectors. I'm at a loss now.

My question is, could this be the cheap cable I bought? Are people experiencing this phenomenon with cheap component cables and/or Twilight Princess?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

[quote name='aerol']I started gameplay to see if they persisted, and I didn't come across any just messing around[/quote]

Dude... don't worry about it. If they don't persist in game who cares. Just go down to your local psych ward and ask for some pills to counteract OCD if it really bothers you. But yes, it's probably because you bought Wal-Mart quality cables. NEVER go cheap on the main linkup between two precision pieces of technology.

I bought the official Nintendo ones for about $30, and it is MUCH better. I experience no dots, nothing. The cables are the MOST IMPORTANT part of your tv setup.

Wal-Mart strikes again.

Remember, every dollar spent at Wal-Mart is a vote for mediocrity.

Get the cheap cables from Monoprice. They work just as well as the expensive crap they try to push on you at Circuit City & Best Buy, and they cost 90% less.

(This goes for any cables, Wii component or otherwise).

I have the same cables (from Best Buy) and I have no such graphical problems.

If you continue to see them, it try your regular cables, if you still see them, then you're a victim of small number of Wiis out there with the ATi chip overheating problem. You'll have to get the Wii replaced of that's the case.

I had the same problem with artifacts being displayed on my HD display. It did not matter what set of cables I used, standard or component. I had to send in the Wii and they replaced it with a new unit.

YEp I sent in my Wii for the same thing and got a new one back . It sounds like graphical corruption. I didn't notice it till RE4 and after that I noticed it in all games.

I had the super cheap monoprice.com ones and got wavy lines in the picture. Trashed them (they wanted me to pay return shipping to exchange) and just shelled out for the Nintendo cables and have had no problems.

The cables you bought you got a good deal on. Hear they go for about what the Monster Cables went for, some times more. Thats around 40 to 60 bucks. Don't know why but I really don't like the brand, I would rather have Monster or ones from Nintendo, Sony or Microsoft. So the brand you bought even though it was only 15 bucks and from Walmart, it is not a cheap Walmart cable like what some have said.

The issue could be from one of two things:

1) You have a bad cable.

2) You have the a Wii that has a bad GPU and is over heating like others have said.

I suggest you take the cables back and get a new set if you can. Try that and if you still have issues send the Wii in.

It's rare for cables to be bad, especially those name brand ones since they're tested before they're actually put on the market. You might just have a slowly dying graphics chip.

Looks like my graphics chip is going bad. After plugging in the composite cable I noticed the same artifacts. It appears to be getting progressively worse as time goes on.

Thanks for all of your help. Now I have to figure out what I have to do to get it repaired.

[quote name='aerol']Looks like my graphics chip is going bad. After plugging in the composite cable I noticed the same artifacts. It appears to be getting progressively worse as time goes on.

Thanks for all of your help. Now I have to figure out what I have to do to get it repaired.[/quote]Ouch dude, it's pretty much dead.
Call Nintendo, and have them replace it for you.

White dots definitely sounds like the GPU overheating problem. I'd try the composite setup on a traditional CRT to see if the same artifacts persist.

Although I had some occasional static on my sister's HD, it was fixed by turning off digital noise reduction. Sometimes options like those can actually get in a the way of a perfectly clean signal and create static.

bread's done
Back